Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Do you think you're younger than others your age because you're so fit?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Do you think you're younger than others your age because you're so fit?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-23, 09:42 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3895 Post(s)
Liked 1,944 Times in 1,389 Posts
I had another guy at the gym today ask us how old we were. He was Army Airborne, career, now gone to fat, but back in the gym. I tried to give him some tips on fixing his messed up knees.
Old 10-04-23, 12:13 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3891 Post(s)
Liked 6,491 Times in 3,213 Posts
I'm only younger, because I'm more childish with less responsibilities.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 10-04-23, 04:11 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4426 Post(s)
Liked 4,876 Times in 3,019 Posts
Originally Posted by Random11
If you're in your 50s or 60s, you might think that exercising has enabled you to stop the aging process.
I don’t know about that, but exercise has certainly helped to minimise the negative associated effects of ageing for me eg. obesity, heart disease, diabetes etc.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 10-04-23, 04:49 AM
rowerek

Bikes: Colnago C40 2004, 1985 Centurion Elite RS, Specialized Roubaix Elite

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 32 Posts
You don't have to be "so fit" and do a lot of exercise, including biking, to look younger than your age, especially if rely on your own mirror assessment or others persons friendly, casual comments.
People tend to believe in what makes them feel good about themselves, and that's OK.

Science of ageing is in its infancy, and it is easy and pays to make prominent claims that attract social and MSM media and create aura of guru and celebrity, and it is difficult and ungrateful to disprove many baseless claims and fluffy extrapolations floating on the Internet.
Old 10-04-23, 04:58 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by rowerek
You don't have to be "so fit" and do a lot of exercise, including biking, to look younger than your age, especially if rely on your own mirror assessment or others persons friendly, casual comments.
People tend to believe in what makes them feel good about themselves, and that's OK.

Science of ageing is in its infancy, and it is easy and pays to make prominent claims that attract social and MSM media and create aura of guru and celebrity, and it is difficult and ungrateful to disprove many baseless claims and fluffy extrapolations floating on the Internet.
If you stick to reading the actual science of ageing then you will see that only a moderate level of consistent exercise is required to get the anti-ageing benefits of exercise. Something like the equivalent of 30 mins of brisk jogging or cycling, 3 or 4 times per week. So you don’t need to be super fit to get these benefits and yet most people in the general population still don’t even get close to these modest levels of exercise. But you would think that most BF readers would easily qualify.
Old 10-04-23, 05:32 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,994 Times in 570 Posts
Succinctly: Use it or lose it.

But given my notorious lack of discipline, I have to admit that I use it only because I enjoy it. Whether cycling increases longevity or staves off the effects of aging or not, I love it. So I’m doing it until I can’t anymore.
Likes For Biker395:
Old 10-04-23, 05:59 AM
Vaportrail56

Bikes: 2002 Burley Django,`99 Gary Fisher Joshua F4, `10 Cannondale Synapse 6, 2012 Cannondale Caad 10-5, 2023 Ozone Midtown

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 10 Posts
^^^^ This. Back when I was 55 I had a mild heart attack, so mild that the doctor couldn`t tell but I thought it was going to kill me. He told me I was on the verge of being a diabetic so I had better start exercising and change my diet.Well I knew I wouldn`t like going to the gym so I took up cycling because I love to ride a bike. I have been cycling on and off for around 13 years. It has kept me in shape. I try to ride at least three times a week. I have some long time friends I have tried to talk into taking up cycling but they are not interested and they are so over weight. I wish they would start. I am going to ride as long as my health will let me because not only do I get some exercise but it gets me out of the house and I get some fresh air and have some fun.
Likes For Vaportrail56:
Old 10-04-23, 10:07 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,934 Times in 1,213 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
I don’t know about that, but exercise has certainly helped to minimise the negative associated effects of ageing for me eg. obesity, heart disease, diabetes etc.
I really think this is about all exercise can do. There's a lot of other things it may or may not reduce that we seem to find as we age; things like thinning spinal discs, arthritis, cataracts, and various cancers, from skin to lung to pancreatic cancers.. (Did you know there's a substantial number of lung cancer cases in people who've never smoked?) So far I've been lucky on most of these fronts. While I struggle with excessive smugness at times, most of the time I'm grateful for what I've got (left).
Old 10-04-23, 10:48 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2592 Post(s)
Liked 5,663 Times in 2,929 Posts
To deviate a bit, my observation is that people without children tend to look younger. Lack of stress and maybe more time for cycling?

Old 10-04-23, 06:35 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
I really think this is about all exercise can do. There's a lot of other things it may or may not reduce that we seem to find as we age; things like thinning spinal discs, arthritis, cataracts, and various cancers, from skin to lung to pancreatic cancers.
Science disagrees with what you think.

Exercise is associated with reduced arthritis symptoms, and reduced risk of multiple cancers—including lung and pancreatic cancer. Exercise also helps reduce obesity, which carries with it a plethora of disease risks.

Old 10-04-23, 06:53 PM
pdlamb

Originally Posted by terrymorse
Originally Posted by PeteHski
I really think this is about all exercise can do. There's a lot of other things it may or may not reduce that we seem to find as we age; things like thinning spinal discs, arthritis, cataracts, and various cancers, from skin to lung to pancreatic cancers.. (Did you know there's a substantial number of lung cancer cases in people who've never smoked?) So far I've been lucky on most of these fronts. While I struggle with excessive smugness at times, most of the time I'm grateful for what I've got (left).
Science disagrees with what you think.

Exercise is associated with reduced arthritis symptoms, and reduced risk of multiple cancers—including lung and pancreatic cancer. Exercise also helps reduce obesity, which carries with it a plethora of disease risks.
I'm not sure what we (apparently) disagree on. I agree with you that exercise may reduce arthritis, etc. (Or it may not -- association isn't causation, after all.) But things like arthritis and cancer are also associated with increasing age. I think Peter's point, with which I agree, is that exercise minimizes these risks; it does not, alas, eliminate them.
Old 10-04-23, 07:44 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

I'm not sure what we (apparently) disagree on. I agree with you that exercise may reduce arthritis, etc. (Or it may not -- association isn't causation, after all.) But things like arthritis and cancer are also associated with increasing age. I think Peter's point, with which I agree, is that exercise minimizes these risks; it does not, alas, eliminate them.
The "may or may not" phrase implies that it's a 50-50 coin toss, when the risk reduction from exercise is evidently far greater than that. Or at the very least, "may or may not" casts doubt on the research findings.

Consider this statement, which is arguably correct but misleading: cigarette smoking may increase the risk of lung cancer (or it may not).

Old 10-05-23, 07:43 AM
pdlamb

The "may or may not" phrase implies that it's a 50-50 coin toss, when the risk reduction from exercise is evidently far greater than that. Or at the very least, "may or may not" casts doubt on the research findings.

Consider this statement, which is arguably correct but misleading: cigarette smoking may increase the risk of lung cancer (or it may not).
OK, now I see where we disagree. "May or may not implies 50/50" is, perhaps, your interpretation. However, I don't think it applies here. For one thing, to use your example, cigarette smoking may or may not cause lung cancer would imply that a full 50% of smokers will develop lung cancer; I don't think the incidence is that high.

For another, we're dealing with low probability high risk. For example, is 10% a "may or may not" in your view? How about 5%? If your doctor told you you had a 10% chance of having a heart attack within a year if you didn't start taking a statin, would you do it? Or would you ask if you kept cycling and took off 25 pounds would that reduce that risk to 5%. Either might (or might not) save you from an MI, but at least it's less than a 50% chance.

I've been on the wrong end of a couple possible health outcomes, still well below a 50% chance of occurrence; I've also been on the right end of a much lower chance of recovery. To me, if you say something like "Excercise will prevent X," you're saying something like, "with exercise, there's as much chance of it happening to you as there is that there won't be a traffic jam at the intersection of the two main roads near your house at rush hour this afternoon." I don't believe any amount or combination of exercise, diet, lifestyle changes, etc. can make a credible claim to prevent (to that extent) many of the heartache, and natural shocks, that flesh is heir to. It can, however, reduce the chances of those in the short term, whatever our age.

To sum it up, will exercise keep me from getting old (whatever that means)? No. Can it put it off? Maybe. Is it worth doing, especially if it's pleasant? Surely!
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 10-05-23, 07:34 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18431 Post(s)
Liked 15,585 Times in 7,339 Posts
I think I’m the same age as others my age because I am the same age as others my age. For various reasons, I don’t think I act the same as most others my age that I know.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 10-06-23, 03:35 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by indyfabz
I think I’m the same age as others my age because I am the same age as others my age. For various reasons, I don’t think I act the same as most others my age that I know.
I don’t think anyone is disputing chronological age.
Old 10-06-23, 05:30 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
There's no shortage on BF of people who like to pat/slap themselves on the back, that's for sure.

Likes For seypat:
Old 10-06-23, 05:38 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Isn't there already a similar thread currently going on BF at the moment? Yes, yes there is.

https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...get-older.html
Old 10-06-23, 10:27 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Originally Posted by seypat
There's no shortage on BF of people who like to pat/slap themselves on the back, that's for sure.
I don’t know if this is a self back pat or not:

I’m not as fast as I was, nor as fast as many riders my age, but at least I’m apparently aging more slowly than 99% of the general population, and maybe avoiding some age-related diseases. Some consolation.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 10-09-23, 10:34 PM
roadfix
hello

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 53 Posts
Totally. I found that out when I attended my 10 yr HS reunion. And dramatically more so when I attended my 50 yr HS reunion.
Old 10-09-23, 11:12 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2592 Post(s)
Liked 5,663 Times in 2,929 Posts
I don’t know if this is a self back pat or not:

I’m not as fast as I was, nor as fast as many riders my age, but at least I’m apparently aging more slowly than 99% of the general population, and maybe avoiding some age-related diseases. Some consolation.
Speaking of pats on the back, yesterday I did a 30 miler with 2000’ of climbing, never getting passed (which means the hot-shoes were riding elsewhere) but had fun dicing it up on climbs with a kid going to the UW. I stopped to take a couple of pictures when a guy about 20 years younger which I passed earlier went by and said, “Man are you fast”. Haven’t heard that in years and boy did that feel good.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 10-10-23, 07:32 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8287 Post(s)
Liked 9,066 Times in 4,483 Posts
Originally Posted by roadfix
Totally. I found that out when I attended my 10 yr HS reunion. And dramatically more so when I attended my 50 yr HS reunion.
Haven't seen you in years! We rode together way back.
Old 10-10-23, 08:21 AM
roadfix
hello

Originally Posted by big john
Haven't seen you in years! We rode together way back.
Hello Big John! Wow, I think it’s been about 16 years since we last rode together! From CSUN, we rode to Amgen to watch part of the Tour. Hope things are going good with you!
Old 10-10-23, 08:26 AM
big john

Hello Big John! Wow, I think it’s been about 16 years since we last rode together! From CSUN, we rode to Amgen to watch part of the Tour. Hope things are going good with you!
We rode on Angeles Crest a few times. I'm still riding. Retired in 2019. Lot of the old BF group riders have disappeared. Happy to hear you're still out there.
Old 10-10-23, 08:39 AM
roadfix
hello

Originally Posted by big john
We rode on Angeles Crest a few times. I'm still riding. Retired in 2019. Lot of the old BF group riders have disappeared. Happy to hear you're still out there.
Same, retired in 2019. Hope you’re still riding as you did back then. I still frequently go up ACH, but by car, out to trailheads to go either backpacking or bikepacking. Not much road rides these past few years though…
Old 10-10-23, 08:53 AM
big john

Same, retired in 2019. Hope you’re still riding as you did back then. I still frequently go up ACH, but by car, out to trailheads to go either backpacking or bikepacking. Not much road rides these past few years though…
Not like I did, but still get out there on the road and the trails. Time for the Tuesday ride. Gotta go.
Likes For big john:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.