Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum
Reload this Page >

Ride across Britain challenge

Search
Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-24, 02:07 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1138 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts

i've been doing the ride across Britain challenge in Rouvy lately. such beautiful landscape. one recent ride make me think of the dry hills east of San Jose, CA. i knew this had to be the highlands because it was so empty, devoid of trees except for dry grass. sure enough when i got done and had a look at the map it was in Scotland. that particular ride had a nice pack of deer crossing the street just about a half mile before the summit. or is it a gaggle of deer...? flock? pod?

i lived in East Anglia (BSE) for about 3 years and i still have a hard time acknowledging that there are hills over there. miss it a lot.
Likes For spelger:
Old 02-23-24, 06:42 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,871 Times in 3,015 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
i've been doing the ride across Britain challenge in Rouvy lately. such beautiful landscape. one recent ride make me think of the dry hills east of San Jose, CA. i knew this had to be the highlands because it was so empty, devoid of trees except for dry grass. sure enough when i got done and had a look at the map it was in Scotland. that particular ride had a nice pack of deer crossing the street just about a half mile before the summit. or is it a gaggle of deer...? flock? pod?

i lived in East Anglia (BSE) for about 3 years and i still have a hard time acknowledging that there are hills over there. miss it a lot.
The UK is full of hills and the odd mountain or two. East Anglia is not really that typical of the UK as a whole.
Old 02-23-24, 12:52 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
I just signed up for Rouvy again and dropped Wahoo Systm. I wasn't using Wahoo, just Zwift. While I find The Sufferfest to be the best structured training, I can't do the high intensity intervals anymore. I worry about the high HR they require. I tried Rouvy a few years back but found it buggy, and the hill profiles didn't seem right, although maybe I was just weaker than I thought. I see there is a trainer difficulty setting there too so I'll play with that.

Are we the only 3 people on this forum? It seems that way.
Old 02-23-24, 07:13 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
i've been doing the ride across Britain challenge in Rouvy lately.
I missed this completely. I might have to sign up again.

​​​​​​​So did I. (Cambridge)
Old 02-26-24, 09:23 AM
Vaughan51

Bikes: Mountain Goat Escape Goat, Rocky Mountain Edge, Salsa Fargo Kona Libre

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I completed the Ride Across Britain Challenge this past week - lots of fun, and as you mentioned some great scenery and "herd of deer". I particularly liked the Cheddar route although it almost killed me on the climb as I did it after a 30minute workout; my oops!!!
My handle on Rouvy is Dave1920. Given my age (70+yrs) you will not see me anywhere near the top of any listing LOL!
Likes For Vaughan51:
Old 02-26-24, 10:12 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
My Rouvy challenge right now is the climb up Mt Haleakala. In real life I tried riding up from the ocean to the top, but at 5700' I had to stop as I was out of steam. I started doing it in Rouvy 4-5 years ago and as I said above it seemed like the hill profile was wrong. Yesterday I discovered a Haleakala ride in Rouvy that started at the turnoff up to the peak, rather than at sea level so I did that ride and purposely stopped at the point where I could ride no further IRL and that was 2300' of climbing. In the next day or two I'll do the rest in one shot since Rouvy now lets you pick up again where you stopped to finish a ride, that'll be another 4300' of climbing. The grade is supposed to be 5.2% from the bottom, but the bottom part is easier, the middle that I just did is hard, and then it eases up a bit for the rest. The avg. grade yesterday was 6.6%.