Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Best type of bike for medium distance rails to trails?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-18, 02:59 PM
markm75

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm searching for my wife a replacement mountain bike for rails to trails riding.. she has verbally stated she prefers a bike that doesnt have the seat higher than the handle bars.. the old bike which i'm switching around to give to my 15 year old.. is actually a schwinn from 1990 or so.. still in great shape.. rigid mountain bike.. the seat probably is slightly lower than the handle bars as is right now.. whereas say my schwinn from 2001 is probably even with the handle bars.. both of these 26" rigid.. neither has suspension or anything more modern (heavier older mountain bikes) with say 1.75-1.95" wide tires, nothing too wide as we dont go off trail that much.

Despite what she is after here .. i'm wondering what is considered more the norm.. or what type of bike ideally to strive for.. either way its on a budget.. hoping for a used one or maybe a budget one new.. under $200.. that limits options.. I think from what i've seen, many are using much bigger size tires now.. 29" to 32".. is this accurate.. does it make it that much easier to go further on a trail i would assume? We typically ride 7 to 20 miles on our 26" bikes.. often pulling our 2 year old in a trailer on one of them.

Any suggestions on what the optimal style bike would be (hopefully with a picture as guide for whats meant by that style)?
Sizing wise.. i'm seeing she should probably be on a 17" bike "size" given 5'8 and 29-30" leg length.. she also complains of every seat i've tried to switch out as hurting too much, but thats another issue (she is thinking wider on the seat in the future perhaps)..

I'm a bit behind in whats new these days .. hoping for some input.

Thanks
Old 05-15-18, 03:25 PM
markm75

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm guessing she may be after a hybrid.. or for that matter maybe i would want to switch at some point too.. something along these lines?

Like a "Schwinn Clear Creek Step Thru Hybrid Bike".. (cant post a link to it).. locally around $125 in nearly new condition.. comfort hybrid rider i guess.. 21 speed. 28" wheels in this case.
Old 05-15-18, 03:26 PM
bcpriess

Bikes: Masi Giramondo, Trek 830 monstercross build, Raleigh Gran Sport, Lemond Tourmalet

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 12 Posts
I'm searching for my wife a replacement mountain bike for rails to trails riding.. she has verbally stated she prefers a bike that doesnt have the seat higher than the handle bars.. the old bike which i'm switching around to give to my 15 year old.. is actually a schwinn from 1990 or so.. still in great shape.. rigid mountain bike.. the seat probably is slightly lower than the handle bars as is right now.. whereas say my schwinn from 2001 is probably even with the handle bars.. both of these 26" rigid.. neither has suspension or anything more modern (heavier older mountain bikes) with say 1.75-1.95" wide tires, nothing too wide as we dont go off trail that much.

Despite what she is after here .. i'm wondering what is considered more the norm.. or what type of bike ideally to strive for.. either way its on a budget.. hoping for a used one or maybe a budget one new.. under $200.. that limits options.. I think from what i've seen, many are using much bigger size tires now.. 29" to 32".. is this accurate.. does it make it that much easier to go further on a trail i would assume? We typically ride 7 to 20 miles on our 26" bikes.. often pulling our 2 year old in a trailer on one of them.

Any suggestions on what the optimal style bike would be (hopefully with a picture as guide for whats meant by that style)?
Sizing wise.. i'm seeing she should probably be on a 17" bike "size" given 5'8 and 29-30" leg length.. she also complains of every seat i've tried to switch out as hurting too much, but thats another issue (she is thinking wider on the seat in the future perhaps)..

Thanks
The bikes you already own are a good choice, based on what you've written. Rails to trails bikes need to be able to handle occasional mud in low areas, or locations where the path deviates from the original railway bed and doesn't drain well due to a different construction method, and varying size gravel from crush to 1 inch, again due to differences in trail construction method. The biggest bang for your buck will be tires, saddles, and handlebars. The knobby tires can be too knobby and absorb energy, so you can instead go to a slightly smoother tread like a Continental Double Fighter III, or a Michelin Country Rock, both available in 26in. This will make it roll better while still providing plenty of grip and width to deal with the trail surface. On rails to trails, I don't think you'll notice a huge difference between wheel sizes. 32in is not the norm at all...I think there's a company making custom bikes that size for basketball players. Mountain biking has switched over to mostly 29ers. With the 29er versus the 26er, the angle at which the wheel "hits" a bump is shallower, so you don't feel bumps as much. This is a bigger deal if you're mountain biking or going over rooty single track. On a flat surface, probably doesn't matter much, especially with 2in tires to soak everything up. Speaking of which, 2in tires, or 40mm tires, are about as much suspension as you need on rails to trails. Susp forks aren't necessary and just add weight if you aren't going off road. 28mm tires are on the skinny end for rails to trails, and in my experience begin to feel pretty unstable on loose crushed gravel. As for bars...I'm assuming her old bike you gave to your 15yo has a quill stem? If so, see how high you can raise it. You can also replace the bars with riser bars, or get a longer stem and possibly achieve the fit she is looking for. So you have a lot of options with what you already have.

To answer your "ideal bike" question:

1) Gravel bikes - many have drop bars with the flat part of the bar level with the saddle. HaanJenn by Diamondback is an example.
2) Single speed rigid mountain bikes - Bikes Direct offers a few of these. Marin Pine Mountain is a good example.
3) Flat bar road boke - often have wider tires, upright posture for rails to trails riders. Nashbar has a nice example.
Old 05-15-18, 07:53 PM
Bill Gem

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by markm75

Thanks
The nice thing about rail trails is that there are no hills. The trains for which they were built couldn’t climb grades much steeper than 4%, and the designers typically aimed for grades in the 2-3% range when they had to tackle uneven terrain.

That opens up a whole range of possibilities since you really don’t need much more gearing than what’s provided by a 1x7 or 1x8 - especially if it comes with a mega range or “granny” gear. Bikes in the recreation or comfort category typically fit this description and have seats lower than the handlebars and 26” or 27.5” tires, usually in the 1.75-1.95 range you described - typically more to the 1.95” end of the range. Examples would be the Marin Stinson, the Jamis Hudson Sport, or the Raleigh Venture. A Raleigh Venture is currently for sale in my local bike shop, which is asking $200 for it. It can probably be had for less.

From your own experience, you know that a 26” tire will do very well. My experience and my wife’s concur. In fact, I expect that a 26” tire would be preferable for towing a wagon with a 2 year old as compared with a 29”. Rail trails are normally hard packed with a base of stone covered by cinder or similar, if not paved. I ride them a lot and don’t find that any special type of tire is needed as long as it’s not an extreme road tire. The exception is at extremely muddy times of year on softer surfaces. Last February was like that on some of the trails I ride, but others with a more established base were just fine.

Seats are very personal things, but they can also be replaced at moderate cost. Doesn’t your wife already have a seat she likes? Maybe she can swap that one with the one that comes on the new bike.

best of luck with your search.
Old 05-16-18, 07:21 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
For economy an old, rigid, mountain bike, provided it's sized right, is pretty hard to beat. That's for almost any casual use. Think of it as being the minivan of bicycles.

If your wife is looking for a bit more style she might like a hybrid bike with 1.5" tires or one of the new gravel style bikes. That will put her in the crossover SUV class.
Old 05-16-18, 07:36 AM
mikeoclt

Bikes: Old like me: 2004 Lemond Buenos Aires, 1991 Stumpjumper, 1992 Trek 930, Vicious Cycles Motivator SS, Novara Mazama

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I went through similar search for my wife last year. She tried a couple of hybrids but ended up back on her old faithful rigid Gary Fisher MTB from the early 90's w 26" wheels. Put a Nashbar comfort stem and bars with 2" rise, put a Brooks B72 & carbon seat post, put on conti town & country tires. She is very happy with it again. We put money in it, but she is happy & that makes my life easier.
Old 05-16-18, 07:40 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
I'm searching for my wife a replacement mountain bike for rails to trails riding.. she has verbally stated she prefers a bike that doesnt have the seat higher than the handle bars..
Technically any bike will potentially fit this description.

Personally I'd go for a hybrid. I love riding mine on a rail trail.
Old 05-16-18, 08:46 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts

Thanks
Under $200 pretty much means used, as $200 doesn't get you anything decent, and you pretty much have to go up to at least $400 for a new, entry level bike, at least if you pay retail. Or, buy online, which can be a crapshoot if you don't know what you are doing.

I wouldn't worry too much about wheel size. 26" wheels was a standard for mountain bikes for a long time, and you can still find replacement tires, tubes and wheels in this size. 700c is the standard for most road bikes and hybrids. 27.5" or 650b is a size that is getting more popular, and falls somewhere between 26" and 700c.

As for the style of bike, look for a bike without suspension. Could be an older hybrid or mountain bike. Stick with models that were decent bikes when new. Trek, Specialized, Bianchi, Giant, Cannondale, Kona, Raleigh, and Jamis are a few examples. Not an exhaustive list. Schwinn and Diamondback had some very fine products, and others that were cheap department store bikes, so learn the difference. Stay away from Magna, Roadmaster, and Mongoose. These bikes pretty much suck, and have sucked for a long time.
Old 05-16-18, 08:56 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Even a folding bike with 406 -42 tyres should be adequate.
the rail bed engineers, have made grading of rail beds very slight, low %
Old 05-16-18, 09:06 AM
markm75

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MRT2
Under $200 pretty much means used, as $200 doesn't get you anything decent, and you pretty much have to go up to at least $400 for a new, entry level bike, at least if you pay retail. Or, buy online, which can be a crapshoot if you don't know what you are doing.

I wouldn't worry too much about wheel size. 26" wheels was a standard for mountain bikes for a long time, and you can still find replacement tires, tubes and wheels in this size. 700c is the standard for most road bikes and hybrids. 27.5" or 650b is a size that is getting more popular, and falls somewhere between 26" and 700c.

As for the style of bike, look for a bike without suspension. Could be an older hybrid or mountain bike. Stick with models that were decent bikes when new. Trek, Specialized, Bianchi, Giant, Cannondale, Kona, Raleigh, and Jamis are a few examples. Not an exhaustive list. Schwinn and Diamondback had some very fine products, and others that were cheap department store bikes, so learn the difference. Stay away from Magna, Roadmaster, and Mongoose. These bikes pretty much suck, and have sucked for a long time.
Thanks all for these tips.. very useful, especially on brands and types.. just trying to get my info back on track as its been awhile since i've looked into used/new.

I guess no matter what she prefers a bike where the grips are at least 2" higher than the seat.. nothing leaning way forward on a straight bar thats for sure..

You mention above to avoid mongoose though.. curious what is wrong with these in general.. as ironically i found one in prime shape on CL nearby here that looks solid/new.. the person says they have new tires (hybrid tires) and a new seat too.. $80.. i think its classified as a "comfort bike", though i've seen hybrids with the same positioning (still unsure what makes a hybrid hybrid vs comfort).. handlebar grips on this one around 4" above the seat (i dont think it will let me post the link yet to show).. Her existing bike (mine from 1990 with 18" frame) sits about 2" higher than the seat, the grips)

The model is "Men's 26" Mongoose Pro Comfort/Mountain Bike".. I could probably get it for $60 so it seems a steal. (the # that can be found via google is 6561429536).

My only concern for her on having yet higher up grips/sitting more straight, is the affect that has on a longer 10-20 mile ride.. i would think leaning forward more would actually be less stress on the back in the longer ride? Maybe not, we only avg like 9 mph i think.
Old 05-16-18, 09:34 AM
stanman13
Not racing.

Bikes: Old rigid mtn bikes

Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
My wife had largely the same requirements. I found a Specialized Expedition Elite for her used for about $175 ready to ride, and that was at my LBS, so I know I paid a premium price for it. 26 x 1.95" smooth rolling tires, 3x8 Shimano drivetrain, V-brakes. It does have a suspension fork which she doesn't really need, but I tightened it up as much as possible and she seems to like it. The bike isn't particularly heavy. I have her seat adjusted to the highest point and the bars all the way down; the bars are still higher.

Last edited by stanman13; 05-16-18 at 09:40 AM.
Old 05-16-18, 01:18 PM
markm75

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For some reason my post didnt show..

Thanks all for the suggestions..

Certainly sounds like thats my best bet for my wife (and maybe for me eventually), to go with something that has the grips 2-5" higher than the seat (hybrid/comfort). Only concern is how it affects the body sitting more upright after 10-20 miles vs leaning forward more, or maybe doesnt matter.

Local shop sells giant/cannondale, starting price 400+ so yeah used is better.. these brands i do see locally for 150-275 used.

I had found this one on CL (6561429536) 26" Mongoose Pro Comfort Switchback AZ for $80 with new hybrid tires and a seat.. i know it was mentioned to avoid this brand.. but curious why.. (this one does have shocks in the front but maybe thats still ok).
Old 05-16-18, 02:36 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
I bought my wife one of these Americanos for leisurely rides. She loves it.
Old 05-16-18, 03:48 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
I had found this one on CL (6561429536) 26" Mongoose Pro Comfort Switchback AZ for $80 with new hybrid tires and a seat.. i know it was mentioned to avoid this brand.. but curious why.. (this one does have shocks in the front but maybe thats still ok).
It is a low quality bike and is referred to as a BSO (Bike Shaped Object) around here. Parts on these types of bikes are not known to last and may need constant adjustments. The bike may also be heavy and feel sluggish. Your wife's current 1990 Schwinn is probably a better bike.

https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/bi...561429536.html

Edit: Not all Mongoose bikes are bad, but it is difficult, especially for beginners, to pick out the good ones among the bad.

Last edited by katsup; 05-16-18 at 03:54 PM.
Old 05-16-18, 03:59 PM
MRT2

For some reason my post didnt show..

Thanks all for the suggestions..

Certainly sounds like thats my best bet for my wife (and maybe for me eventually), to go with something that has the grips 2-5" higher than the seat (hybrid/comfort). Only concern is how it affects the body sitting more upright after 10-20 miles vs leaning forward more, or maybe doesnt matter.

Local shop sells giant/cannondale, starting price 400+ so yeah used is better.. these brands i do see locally for 150-275 used.

Extremely poor quality bikes. Actually barely bikes. More like toys. Cheap and disposable. You can often get them new for a little more than $100 at Wal Mart or Target.
Old 05-16-18, 05:43 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6197 Post(s)
Liked 4,814 Times in 3,321 Posts
The big things to consider, IMO, IMO... are:
  • what is the riding surface. Get the appropriate tires.
  • How often are the stops where you can at least get water if not a convenience store or burger joint.
As previously posted, they are very flat with low grades. If the rails to trail you are doing is asphalt paved like the 44 mile trail south of me, then any bike will do.
Old 05-16-18, 06:11 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Gem
The nice thing about rail trails is that there are no hills. The trains for which they were built couldn’t climb grades much steeper than 4%, and the designers typically aimed for grades in the 2-3% range when they had to tackle uneven terrain.

They were moderate hills when they were for trains, but the situation can be different today. Sometimes a road, business, parking lot or in one local case shooting range took over the original route in the decades between when the trains stopped and the bikes started, and so the trail ends up detouring, sometimes rather dramatically, at least in the context of the rest of the route.

Also those 2-3% upgrades can go on for miles, and casual riders tire from that.

But yes, rail trails are very much ride the cycle (or other contraption) you have territory - you see everything from fat bikes to long boards out there... and I say that as the guy who rides them on a 36 inch unicycle.
Old 05-16-18, 06:24 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
The big things to consider, IMO, IMO... are:
  • what is the riding surface. Get the appropriate tires.
  • How often are the stops where you can at least get water if not a convenience store or burger joint.
Yes, the stops can be important, too. Rail trails often skirt town centers and go through industrial areas (they were the tracks that those are on the wrong side of...), so opportunities to drop into a store without a substantial detour off the trail could be 15 miles apart even in nominally built-up areas, which is more significant for some riders.

I like to have enough bottles that I can get my money's worth (and maybe a hand/face wash) from a gallon or 3 liter of water... which is often cheaper than buying a 1 or 1.5 liter bottle anyway. Of course that's simpler when riding with someone else.

For some reason rail-trail infrastructure seems to rarely include water fountains or bottle filling stations, even in areas that obviously have municipal piping, and even when other amenities like a repair stand are offered.

Another surprising one was the bike store a half block from a major rail trail, that is closed on Sundays. Though fortunately the time I left my food and electrolytes on the kitchen table when setting out on a long ride was a weekday, so they were there for me then! Peace from rampant commercialization is a nice thing, but sort of feel like rail-trail sponsorship with signage by local cycle or food business would be something the managing agencies should look into.
Old 05-16-18, 07:31 PM
Bill Gem

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by UniChris
They were moderate hills when they were for trains, but the situation can be different today. Sometimes a road, business, parking lot or in one local case shooting range took over the original route in the decades between when the trains stopped and the bikes started, and so the trail ends up detouring, sometimes rather dramatically, at least in the context of the rest of the route.

Also those 2-3% upgrades can go on for miles, and casual riders tire from that.

But yes, rail trails are very much ride the cycle (or other contraption) you have territory - you see everything from fat bikes to long boards out there... and I say that as the guy who rides them on a 36 inch unicycle.
True, although I think of them more as inclines than hills. Anyway, one of my bikes is a 7-speed and I haven’t encountered anything on a rail trail that it - and I at age 71- can’t handle. And yes, sometimes the trails have been modified due to the conditions you mentioned as well as to the absence of bridges that have been removed. However, these are the exception.

Ultimately, it comes down to the range of the gearing rather than the number of gears, which is why I mentioned the value of a mega range or a granny gear to deal with the occasional exception. The casual rider really doesn’t have the need for the number of gears that a racer or all day tourer does.

Old 05-17-18, 07:46 AM
markm75

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not finding a whole lot to pick from in the local Pittsburgh region as far as used goes (for under $200).. but thanks to everyones comments I think maybe i'm narrowing the search down, at least to the name brands that should be more solid than what i originally thought. As far as the trails we ride on, yeah around here there isnt much grade, though there are a few that get steeper in parts, but nothing even a 7 or 8 speed couldnt be used for.

On craigs I found a Schwinn, however, i think it may be more "walmart" grade quality than true Schwinn like I have in the other two bikes from 01 and 90.. unsure..
CL 6573473686.. its a Schwinn Cimarron Designed for Women "W" series.. 17" tube which i think is the right height for my wife 5'8, 30" length, more so than the 18's.. However, he is asking 180.. i think thats original retail back in 2007.. most of these seem to go for around 40-60 tops.. of the few reviews i've found, some are solid while others warn not good for more than around town/breaks in 2 months etc. So unsure if this mode's quality is ok..

My biggest fear on the "cheaper" units is that we get 15 miles on a ride and something breaks to the point we are stuck.

Also on craigs 6585729506 there is a Raleigh C30 Cross Sport hybrid, they claim it has a 17" seat tube but it doesnt look it.. for $180 this one does match up, assuming the 17 is correct but i dont think it is.

Would anyone also advise Against going to a place like Dicks or Dunhams for a "new" bike.. even if the name brand matches up? Though i'm not seeing the brands they had in the past, right now i'm seeing "Nishiki", solid reviews but noone mentioned this brand on here.

The one model they used to have it appears, was.. Diamondback Wildwood Classic Comfort.. I'm seeing these on amazon for $259, or ebay for $179.. I'm assuming these are "ok", but the question is, assembly/warranty.. not sure if something breaks how you deal with a warranty issue in that first year.. i do like local shop ability to honor the warranty and yearly upkeep (but for us paying $400 is too high for the amount we will likely ride)... any thoughts here.. would a local shop be willing to "finish" the assembly if i get stuck on brakes or similar, do a check.. i'm guessing they may but for an another hundred.. so at that point its at most a $350 bike anyway (so I should have looked new at the local shop if i end up needing assembly/checking).

I do see the Performance Americano Twenty-one Speed Comfort Bike on Performance Bicycles as well.. for around $219 new.
Old 05-17-18, 08:28 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Would anyone also advise Against going to a place like Dicks or Dunhams for a "new" bike.. even if the name brand matches up? Though i'm not seeing the brands they had in the past, right now i'm seeing "Nishiki", solid reviews but noone mentioned this brand on here.
I do see the Performance Americano Twenty-one Speed Comfort Bike on Performance Bicycles as well.. for around $219 new.
If she is comfortable on the Americano, go for that. Tourney equipped is plenty good for MUP riding. Performance is pretty good about backing up their products, at least in my limited experience.

I wouldn't necessarily dismiss Dicks or Dunhams. In all reality, any Tourney equipped bike is going to be of the same quality and price point. Just know a lot of bikes they sell there are not really any better quality than Wal-Mart level.
Old 05-17-18, 09:23 AM
markm75

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
If she is comfortable on the Americano, go for that. Tourney equipped is plenty good for MUP riding. Performance is pretty good about backing up their products, at least in my limited experience.

I wouldn't necessarily dismiss Dicks or Dunhams. In all reality, any Tourney equipped bike is going to be of the same quality and price point. Just know a lot of bikes they sell there are not really any better quality than Wal-Mart level.
I would think she would be ok with that, hard to tell without testing it i guess.. there is a performance bike shop near me, but the reviews are sketchy on how they support their bikes, especially lower cost ones.. maybe i'd be just as well off to have it shipped, but that boils down to how hard it is to put together and if i can do it without needing to take it to a shop to begin with.. I have a bike repair stand and the proper tools though.

Is this the general gist.. in terms of parts on a bike.. to make sure they have at least Shimano or Shimano tourney etc, part quality?

Checked with dicks.. they definitely only carry that brand Nishiki.. and they only warrant their stuff for 30 days.. you pay $30 per year extra for added coverage and a yearly tuneup (which at my trusty local shop a tuneup is $35 with no wheel true.. $65 with true.. and i've not done the true on any of my bikes ever, which is probably bad).

Checking with the local shop again, they confirmed they stock 2017 Giant Sedona comfort bikes at $390 plus tax (which would include a twice a year standard tune, $35 value for the lifetime).. i should probably take my wife and have her sit on one of these to confirm the 17" / comfort is the right fit first and go from there.

Back to the two on craigs that were cheaper.. i guess i'd trust that Schwinn (with i think Shimano derailleurs at least) over the previously mentioned mongoose.

Last edited by markm75; 05-17-18 at 09:27 AM.
Old 05-17-18, 09:37 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
I would think she would be ok with that, hard to tell without testing it i guess.. there is a performance bike shop near me, but the reviews are sketchy on how they support their bikes, especially lower cost ones.. maybe i'd be just as well off to have it shipped, but that boils down to how hard it is to put together and if i can do it without needing to take it to a shop to begin with.. I have a bike repair stand and the proper tools though...
If you have a performance nearby there is no reason not to get it at the shop. They will set it up for you, which is more than you get if you have it delivered. I would be very skeptical of negative online reviews. I'm sure their service after the sale is fine as long as you are a reasonable person. It will definitely be better than a sporting goods store with no mechanics.
Old 05-17-18, 09:49 AM
MRT2

I'm not finding a whole lot to pick from in the local Pittsburgh region as far as used goes (for under $200).. but thanks to everyones comments I think maybe i'm narrowing the search down, at least to the name brands that should be more solid than what i originally thought. As far as the trails we ride on, yeah around here there isnt much grade, though there are a few that get steeper in parts, but nothing even a 7 or 8 speed couldnt be used for.

On craigs I found a Schwinn, however, i think it may be more "walmart" grade quality than true Schwinn like I have in the other two bikes from 01 and 90.. unsure..
CL 6573473686.. its a Schwinn Cimarron Designed for Women "W" series.. 17" tube which i think is the right height for my wife 5'8, 30" length, more so than the 18's.. However, he is asking 180.. i think thats original retail back in 2007.. most of these seem to go for around 40-60 tops.. of the few reviews i've found, some are solid while others warn not good for more than around town/breaks in 2 months etc. So unsure if this mode's quality is ok..

My biggest fear on the "cheaper" units is that we get 15 miles on a ride and something breaks to the point we are stuck.

Also on craigs 6585729506 there is a Raleigh C30 Cross Sport hybrid, they claim it has a 17" seat tube but it doesnt look it.. for $180 this one does match up, assuming the 17 is correct but i dont think it is.

The one model they used to have it appears, was.. Diamondback Wildwood Classic Comfort.. I'm seeing these on amazon for $259, or ebay for $179.. I'm assuming these are "ok", but the question is, assembly/warranty.. not sure if something breaks how you deal with a warranty issue in that first year.. i do like local shop ability to honor the warranty and yearly upkeep (but for us paying $400 is too high for the amount we will likely ride)... any thoughts here.. would a local shop be willing to "finish" the assembly if i get stuck on brakes or similar, do a check.. i'm guessing they may but for an another hundred.. so at that point its at most a $350 bike anyway (so I should have looked new at the local shop if i end up needing assembly/checking).

I would say no to Dick's and Dunhams. At least in my area, they are not much better than Wal Mart or Target, and have little to no after sales support. And, no to Nishiki. It pains me to say this as I owned a Nishiki in high school back when Nishiki was, like Panasonic and Fuji, a quality Japanese brand. No more. Now it is just a name they slap on cheap and disposable bikes, for the most part. It is possible there are Nishkis that are not bad, but most of them are really bad, so don't take the risk.
Old 05-17-18, 09:50 AM
markm75

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kingston
If you have a performance nearby there is no reason not to get it at the shop. They will set it up for you, which is more than you get if you have it delivered. I would be very skeptical of negative online reviews. I'm sure their service after the sale is fine as long as you are a reasonable person. It will definitely be better than a sporting goods store with no mechanics.
Yes that is certainly true.. i checked with them, they dont offer any sort of "warranty" on the bike though, anything breaks you have to call the manufacturer.. i always thought the other local shops covered this.. They dont include a yearly tuneup, their tune up cost is about $80 for everything including truing (vs my other shop at around $60 and closer).

i guess in terms of assembling these, i'm not too worried if it ends up being a different one from online like the Diamonback Wildwood Classic or maybe the women specific Diamondback 2017 Serene Classic Women's Comfort Bike which is 179 via jenns bikes on ebay (if no stock on the americano or dont go with prebuilt used), for the most part.. where i run into issues sometimes is tuning the derailers, in which case i'd just take it to my other shop for a $35 tuneup.

The diamondback serene pricing at 179 seems too good to be true (most likely will end up going this route, though maybe through aventuron as the ebay seller seems to ship broken/used as new).. has shimano tourney on it as well. I would assume a 1 year warranty from the manufacturer. My concern is how to put this on the bike rack on my van, it lacks a center bar, i think an adapter may be needed? (edit, i think a $25 swagman bar is the answer there, seems like an annoyance each time but i guess its the way).. I guess later on if i want to switch to a more upright bike such as this, i should maybe consider the Wildwood classic (but it only goes to 19" not 20" like i have now at my 6'6 height, whole other story)

Last edited by markm75; 05-17-18 at 11:08 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.