Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Tried to take me out again, and 13.5mph average.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Tried to take me out again, and 13.5mph average.

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-23, 09:08 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,099 Times in 3,833 Posts
Originally Posted by beng1
Since I have been riding a single-speed mostly since late last year, I have been doing steep climbs at low rpms. 50 teeth on front, 19 teeth on back right now. Was doing a lot of walking up one regular steep ascent, but since the weather got warm and there is more of an audience I have been standing on the pedals up the hill. It takes a lot more out of me than if I go up it on a multi-speed bike or walk it up. Have no idea if it is good training or not. One thing for sure is riding makes me feel a lot better than watching television.
What I found when I was riding a single speed MTB on a regular basis is that I was developing a brute strength fitness on climbs that was different that I got with my geared bikes. Low-rpm work has always been a part of my cycling diet, and my joints are accustomed to it. However, some people develop knee pain from that type of effort.
Old 05-16-23, 06:19 AM
beng1
Banned

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 195 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
What I found when I was riding a single speed MTB on a regular basis is that I was developing a brute strength fitness on climbs that was different that I got with my geared bikes. Low-rpm work has always been a part of my cycling diet, and my joints are accustomed to it. However, some people develop knee pain from that type of effort.
In my experience knee pain is not caused by weight and work, it is caused by poor form and posture. I weigh over 200 pounds usually. I did have knee pain when I was younger and had not taught myself how to walk correctly or do much else with proper form and posture, but once I started using my body correctly and developed and used the muscles to hold things in proper alignment and posture I had no more problems with knee pain.

Also in my experience athleticism is bad for humans, it wears them out before their time. Keeping it at about 2/3rds throttle makes your car and your body both last a lot longer than it will at full throttle.
Old 05-16-23, 09:24 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
In my experience knee pain is not caused by weight and work, it is caused by poor form and posture..
In your experience as what? There's lots of causes of knee pain, many having absolutely nothing to do with any of the above.

I ride habitually in very high gears and don't get knee pain. I don't generalize from this what other people can do or should (not) do.
Old 05-16-23, 09:34 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,099 Times in 3,833 Posts
In my experience knee pain is not caused by weight and work, it is caused by poor form and posture. I weigh over 200 pounds usually. I did have knee pain when I was younger and had not taught myself how to walk correctly or do much else with proper form and posture, but once I started using my body correctly and developed and used the muscles to hold things in proper alignment and posture I had no more problems with knee pain.

Also in my experience athleticism is bad for humans, it wears them out before their time. Keeping it at about 2/3rds throttle makes your car and your body both last a lot longer than it will at full throttle.
In your experience....Right. That's what might be true for your body. That doesn't mean it's the same for everyone else. Some people do get knee pain from riding at low-rpm/high-force effort.
Old 05-16-23, 09:51 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
Some people do get knee pain from riding at low-rpm/high-force effort.
Some people get knee pain from walking up stairs. But that's not because of the stairs.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 05-16-23, 10:47 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
Some people get knee pain from walking up stairs. But that's not because of the stairs.
Right, "Joe bikes and he got knee pain" tells us pretty much nothing about how his knees got in bad shape.

If I had to go by most of the people I know with knee problems, it's because they played football in high school. And I'm not claiming that's any kind of representative sample. I've also known people who have had shrapnel blast their knee apart and stuff from your basic car crashes.

Let's not pretend all of it is explainable from repetitive injury for whatever reason. Also, congenital defects are definitely a real thing.
Likes For livedarklions: