Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

"Cycling tax"?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-23, 11:51 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
In this case it has nothing to do with supply and demand. There is no shortage of CO2 cartridges out there. So why jack up the prices so high ?
What's the right price for a co2 cartridge? My understanding is that they're a PITA to ship in bulk.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-08-23, 12:13 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by VegasJen
Why? You seem to be enjoying this.

I don't haunt a lot of bike shops, but so far the only place I've ever really seen Blackburn is in Wally World. Whatev.
Because you stated that you had no doubt that Blackburn was produced in Walmart owned factories in China. Because Blackburn is such a widespread brand that the fact that you've only found it at Wal-Mart means that you have only shopped for bike-related stuff at Wal-Mart, yet you want to make comments about how there's a bicycle tax imposed on bicycle-related goods based on your personal experience.

You can get bike stuff cheaper buying online than you can at Wal-Mart. This is not news.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-08-23, 06:37 AM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 1,744 Times in 1,015 Posts
Originally Posted by scott967
If you're in Fla, then that's the Fla AC tax. I needed some gas in my r-22 unit. No one would fill it -- said it was illegal. I had an r-22 quit a few months later in New Orleans and had no problem getting gas for it. The tech had to replace the outside unit fan, and of course motor cap and said it might last another 6 months, but I said nope it's good. Those caps --- is there ever a service call where they don't try to sell you one for like a hundred bucks?

Yep the R22 is an issue here. However in my case, I had a coil leak and it was a 15 year old system, so there was no point in replacing the coil.

Last edited by jaxgtr; 04-08-23 at 06:55 AM.
Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 04-08-23, 07:28 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,970 Times in 4,692 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
I still have a rear rack with his first and last name on it.
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I had a wind trainer back in the late 80s.
Originally Posted by big john
I have a set of Blackburn Expedition racks which are a quality product. They're 33 years old now.
You guys must’ve bought all of those at Walmart. I’ve heard that Blackburn is their house brand.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 04-08-23, 07:30 AM
The Chemist

Bikes: Waltly Custom Ti // Seaboard CX01 // Dahon Boardwalk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 528 Times in 246 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
If you're worried about getting enough air/pressure in the tire with a mini pump, carry a Schrader/Presta adapter and a pressure gauge. Pump enough aire into the tire to get going, then top it off at the next air station you see.
I had a flat recently for the first time since I started carrying a really small mini-pump (from Decathlon) more than a year ago. It took about 5 minutes to get the tire up to a rideable pressure, but it was enough pressure to get me home (about 40km) where I could then top the tire off with my floor pump. I think mini-pumps are just fine and have never understood the allure of CO2 - not only do you have to pay to inflate your tire, but you're also producing waste. Pumps are a pay once, leave nothing behind solution.
Likes For The Chemist:
Old 04-08-23, 07:53 AM
Koyote

I don't haunt a lot of bike shops, but so far the only place I've ever really seen Blackburn is in Wally World. Whatev.
A strong intellect admits to errors and learns from them.

It takes a different sort to double-down and make excuses.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 04-08-23, 09:16 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,579 Times in 7,337 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Because the more you post, the more foolish you look.
Sorry, but I think it’s intentional, meant to provoke responses. There are a couple of other members who frequent General and post equal inanity. Makes me wonder.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-08-23, 09:55 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,647 Times in 2,924 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
A strong intellect admits to errors and learns from them.

It takes a different sort to double-down and make excuses.
It takes an even stronger intellect that learns from others mistakes.

Old 04-08-23, 12:06 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
Prices are in large part determined by the size of the market and the volume that can be sold. A two-pack is going to cost more per item than a 10-pack of the same item. But how many CO2 cartridges do you actually use in a year's time?

I am bothered more then gas goes up $2.00 a gallon and the oil companies' profits increase by 400% or drinking water is poisoned by frackers and makers of PFAS.
Likes For Calsun:
Old 04-08-23, 12:41 PM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Bikes: Merlin Extralight '94 & Cannondale Supersix '15

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 263 Posts
I find it more than a little annoying that some of you belittle and disparage the OP, VegasJen.
She used the CO2 cartridges as an example, only. We can easily see where cyclists face serious upcharges.
Or, in her words, a "tax." Cut her a break and expand your thinking, people. Many seem overly-eager to slam her.
Tire pricing really nails cyclists, even if carefully shopped. Add other consumables like chains, cables, and batteries/lights.
Likes For roadcrankr:
Old 04-08-23, 01:11 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,579 Times in 7,337 Posts
Originally Posted by roadcrankr
I find it more than a little annoying that some of you belittle and disparage the OP, VegasJen.
She used the CO2 cartridges as an example, only. We can easily see where cyclists face serious upcharges.
Or, in her words, a "tax." Cut her a break and expand your thinking, people. Many seem overly-eager to slam her.
Tire pricing really nails cyclists, even if carefully shopped. Add other consumables like chains, cables, and batteries/lights.
Yeah. Let’s not call out, um, “junk.” And telling others to expand their thinking is doing the same thing you are complaining about.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-08-23, 01:16 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,441 Times in 2,764 Posts
History. Context.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 04-08-23, 01:34 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
I'll be honest, I'm bothered by the first sentence of the original post. If she had listed Chevette instead of Corvette, I would have cut her some some slack. I could have seen a real need for saving coin. Don't talk about being from a luxury world then gripe about products at Walmart or prices in general. That's like eating at Sizzler or Golden Corral and demanding Ruth Chris level of service/food.
Old 04-08-23, 01:37 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10440 Post(s)
Liked 11,914 Times in 6,101 Posts
Really? I've never seen it anywhere else.
All my Blackburn stuff - lights, pumps, etc - all came from bike shops.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 04-08-23, 01:37 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

No, the argument is just as stupid when you apply it to other items. We are paying some premium prices because we tend to want better than average versions of the items you name. There are very inexpensive bike lights, tires, chains and cables available. If you choose to purchase better versions of those items, expect to pay more. To present this as a "tax" or claim we are getting "screwed" is complete bs.

​​​​​​Just to remind everyone, we've got some price distortions still going on because supply chains for all sorts of manufacturing got disrupted as did production lines. Bicycle related goods have not been unique in this respect.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-08-23, 01:42 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

There IS a tax on cyclists. It's called economics.

Old 04-08-23, 01:55 PM
Koyote

Jen's example was shown to be invalid...If she's subsequently been disparaged, it's because she doubled down on claims which have been proved false.

And now you've repeated the claim -- and like Jen, you've not given a valid example, either.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 04-08-23, 01:57 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

There's obviously a conspiracy to jack up the price of your water heater. I think George Soros is behind it.
SOROS!!! Everybody DRINK!!!!

Likes For genejockey:
Old 04-08-23, 02:08 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3956 Post(s)
Liked 7,307 Times in 2,949 Posts
Jen's example was shown to be invalid...If she's subsequently been disparaged, it's because she doubled down on claims which have been proved false.
And, as she's done in other threads, she also tried to turn the discussion political.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 04-08-23, 02:11 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

"Ah. Well, nevertheless....."

Likes For genejockey:
Old 04-08-23, 02:37 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by genejockey

Actually, it's been the 25% tariff on bicycle related goods from China, but that's been lifted for several items.

I always find it funny how many people don't realize it's actually the consumer who pays the tariff, not "China".

Last edited by livedarklions; 04-08-23 at 02:42 PM.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-08-23, 03:03 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
There is also a “tax” on the bike business, starting with the manufacturer and ending with the LBS, making it increasingly hard to turn a profit.

Old 04-08-23, 03:05 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by terrymorse
There is also a “tax” on the bike business, starting with the manufacturer and ending with the LBS, making it increasingly hard to turn a profit.
Is there some special tax applied to bicycle manufacturers and bike shops? If there is, I’ve never heard about it. Please enlighten me.
Old 04-08-23, 03:10 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3956 Post(s)
Liked 7,307 Times in 2,949 Posts
Is there some special tax applied to bicycle manufacturers and bike shops? If there is, I’ve never heard about it. Please enlighten me.
Maybe it's one of those "taxes" that certain groups levee on shop owners to ensure nothing bad happens to your shop at night.
Old 04-08-23, 03:34 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2486 Post(s)
Liked 2,956 Times in 1,679 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Maybe it's one of those "taxes" that certain groups levee on shop owners to ensure nothing bad happens to your shop at night.
Monty Python deep cut:

"Sorry, squire---I've scratched the record."

Edit: everything is out there somewhere.
Likes For Trakhak:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.