Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

"Cycling tax"?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-23, 03:34 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10440 Post(s)
Liked 11,914 Times in 6,101 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Maybe it's one of those "taxes" that certain groups levee on shop owners to ensure nothing bad happens to your shop at night.
As in, "Nice bike shop you got here. Be a shame if sumpin' was to happen to it"?

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 04-08-23, 03:40 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,971 Times in 4,692 Posts
I’d really like to know what terrymorse is referring to.
Old 04-08-23, 03:58 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Is there some special tax applied to bicycle manufacturers and bike shops? If there is, I’ve never heard about it. Please enlighten me.
For lack of a better word, the "special tax" on the bike industry can be called "competition".

Competition kills profits.

Old 04-08-23, 04:02 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7653 Post(s)
Liked 3,480 Times in 1,837 Posts
Anyone who thinks specialty luxury items shouldn’t cost more than bare-bones, basic, lo-quality or mass-demand items has never run a business.

The OP also claims she is pro-free-market …. another phrase she apparently doesn’t understand.

OP also does not, apparently, understand the concept of “tax;” a tax is necessarily and exclusively applied by the government. If the government isn’t collecting the increase …. It is called “profit,” which is supposed to be Good, right? Make a profit, expand, create jobs, all that? Y’know that “ free market “ stuff?

The consumer has the option to buy from other suppliers or to buy different products.

You want luxury you pay luxury prices. Not a tough concept.

And before everyone asks, yes, cycling for pleasure, competition, even personal fitness are luxuries. You have no Need to do them, they are done for personal enrichment.

I commuted for several years on found bikes, rebuilds, and a couple yard-sale finds ( one of which I still ride.)

If you ride due to DUIs then the cost is part of the penalty— and you can still do it for next to nothing.

Anyone complaining about operating costs while driving to a triathlon in a Corvette (or in an Esplanade because the Vette is the second car) ….
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 04-08-23, 04:02 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by terrymorse
For lack of a better word, the "special tax" on the bike industry can be called "competition".

Competition kills profits.
That’s even worse than what I expected you to write.

Taxes and competition are two entirely different things. Taxes raise prices, competition reduces them.

I’m just astounded. You recently complained about so-called price gouging – – prices being too high. Now you’re railing against competition, which brings prices down. You seem to be extremely confused.

Last edited by Koyote; 04-08-23 at 04:13 PM.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 04-08-23, 04:11 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Here in Canada we have a 13% sales tax ( HST ) on everything including bikes. That's why everything is so damn expensive here..
Old 04-08-23, 04:15 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Originally Posted by Koyote
Competition reduces prices – – which is the opposite effect from that of a tax.
Competition does not always reduce prices. Sometimes it increases prices. It always kills profits.

Consider an LBS who must pay the prevailing rate for retail space. If the other businesses competing for retail space (say an Apple Store) can afford to pay more, the LBS will be forced to pay more for the space and raise prices to cover the increased overhead.

With few exceptions (rhymes with "blemano"), nobody in the bike industry is rolling in the dough.

Last edited by terrymorse; 04-08-23 at 04:22 PM.
Old 04-08-23, 04:20 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,308 Times in 1,118 Posts
Maybe it's one of those "taxes" that certain groups levee on shop owners to ensure nothing bad happens to your shop at night.
Originally Posted by genejockey
As in, "Nice bike shop you got here. Be a shame if sumpin' was to happen to it"?
I think those are called "insurance policies".

Old 04-08-23, 04:28 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3956 Post(s)
Liked 7,309 Times in 2,949 Posts
Competition does not always reduce prices. Sometimes it increases prices. It always kills profits.

Consider an LBS who must pay the prevailing rate for retail space. If the other businesses competing for retail space (say an Apple Store) can afford to pay more, the LBS will be forced to pay more for the space and raise prices to cover the increased overhead.
That's not economic competition.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 04-08-23, 05:00 PM
Koyote

With few exceptions (rhymes with "blemano"), nobody in the bike industry is rolling in the dough.
That’s competition for resources. Not competition within a market. And that is something that literally – LITERALLY— every business faces. And hence, you still have not explained this special “tax“ on bike shops.

By the way, you again seem to be very concerned that bike shops are not making enough profit… But earlier in the thread, you were complaining about “price gouging,” which raises profits. (or at least, that would be the effect if it were a real thing.) So what is the actual problem - too little profit, or too much profit?

Well, it is a type of competition, but not a type that would especially disadvantage bike shops – or any other particular type of business. So I think l Terry is still striking out.
Old 04-08-23, 05:12 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

I am not an economist, but economists apparently do use “competition” for both buyers and sellers.

"[C]ompetition takes place in markets—meeting grounds of intending suppliers and buyers. Typically, a few sellers compete to attract favorable offers from prospective buyers. Similarly, intending buyers compete to obtain good offers from suppliers. When a contract is concluded, the buyer and seller exchange property rights in a good, service, or asset. Everyone interacts voluntarily, motivated by self-interest.

In the process of such interactions, much information is signaled through prices (see austrian school of economics). Keen sellers cut prices to attract buyers, and buyers reveal their preferences by raising their offers to outcompete other buyers."

Wolfgang Kasper, emeritus professor of economics, University of New South Wales, Australia.
Old 04-08-23, 05:16 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3675 Post(s)
Liked 5,441 Times in 2,764 Posts
Guys, guys.... the troll is cackling now.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 04-08-23, 05:18 PM
Koyote

I am not an economist, but economists apparently do use “competition” for both buyers and sellers..
Please explain the special tax on bike shops. Please. That was your claim. Are bike shops the only businesses that compete for scarce resources – – real estate, equipment, labor?

By the way, you may not be an economist, but I am — at least according to all these diplomas I’ve got in a drawer somewhere. And I have never - never in almost 40 years - heard any actual economist claim that competition raises prices. And your Google quote doesn’t claim that, either.

Last edited by Koyote; 04-08-23 at 05:23 PM.
Old 04-08-23, 05:23 PM
tomato coupe

I am not an economist, but economists apparently do use “competition” for both buyers and sellers.
You're just throwing spaghetti at the wall. None of this can be interpreted as a "special tax" on bike shops and bike manufacturers.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 04-08-23, 06:05 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

You're just throwing spaghetti at the wall. None of this can be interpreted as a "special tax" on bike shops and bike manufacturers.
It was a loosely thrown term, admittedly.

My point is that profits in the bike business are already pretty darn low, so there is little ability to reduce consumer costs. The premise of this thread, that if only sellers would be happy with less profit, that customers wouldn’t have to pay so much, is not realistic.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 04-08-23, 06:16 PM
Koyote

My point is that profits in the bike business are already pretty darn low, so there is little ability to reduce consumer costs. The premise of this thread, that if only sellers would be happy with less profit, that customers wouldn’t have to pay so much, is not realistic.
That was not the OP’s premise, and it does not relate to the claims that you were making. In other words, you’ve tossed another handful of spaghetti at the wall.

You’ve also now introduced a new claim (“profits in the bike business are already pretty darn low”) without providing any evidence.

You’re a waste of time. ‘bye.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 04-08-23, 06:18 PM
tomato coupe

My point is that profits in the bike business are already pretty darn low, so there is little ability to reduce consumer costs.
Maybe you should have just stated that, instead of this nonsense about "special taxes" and competition driving up prices.
Old 04-08-23, 06:58 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2586 Post(s)
Liked 5,648 Times in 2,924 Posts
Time to ignore them and just let this ridiculous “I’m right, your wrong” thing end. Don’t feed them.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 04-08-23, 08:26 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
I thought the special tax were those sharp, pointy things that Big Bike/CO2 scattered across the roads so bikes would get more flats. Thus, driving up the costs of CO2 inflators and mini pumps sold at Walmart.
Likes For seypat:
Old 04-09-23, 07:56 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts

"[C]ompetition takes place in markets—meeting grounds of intending suppliers and buyers. Typically, a few sellers compete to attract favorable offers from prospective buyers. Similarly, intending buyers compete to obtain good offers from suppliers. When a contract is concluded, the buyer and seller exchange property rights in a good, service, or asset. Everyone interacts voluntarily, motivated by self-interest.

In the process of such interactions, much information is signaled through prices (see austrian school of economics). Keen sellers cut prices to attract buyers, and buyers reveal their preferences by raising their offers to outcompete other buyers."

Wolfgang Kasper, emeritus professor of economics, University of New South Wales, Australia.

Give you a few more posts and you'll discover the law of supply and demand.
For LBS, they are not just competing with other LBS, they are competing with online retailers and big box stores. I've long since given up buying tires (for example) locally because it's much easier to obtain what I want at an affordable price online. This is not a unique issue for bicycle retailers, it's rampant throughout consumer retail.

I can't follow your arguments here at all, they just don't make any sense. I don't think you understand what a tax actually is.
Old 04-09-23, 07:58 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
I thought the special tax were those sharp, pointy things that Big Bike/CO2 scattered across the roads so bikes would get more flats. Thus, driving up the costs of CO2 inflators and mini pumps sold at Walmart.

Right, the tax tacks. I think the government should impose a special sales tax on tax tacks, and we can call it the tax tacks tax.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-09-23, 09:11 AM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 299 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Because you stated that you had no doubt that Blackburn was produced in Walmart owned factories in China. Because Blackburn is such a widespread brand that the fact that you've only found it at Wal-Mart means that you have only shopped for bike-related stuff at Wal-Mart, yet you want to make comments about how there's a bicycle tax imposed on bicycle-related goods based on your personal experience.

You can get bike stuff cheaper buying online than you can at Wal-Mart. This is not news.
I do shop Amazon, although I prefer not to. But I don't live in a metropolitan area so my retail options are pretty limited.
Originally Posted by roadcrankr
I find it more than a little annoying that some of you belittle and disparage the OP, VegasJen.
She used the CO2 cartridges as an example, only. We can easily see where cyclists face serious upcharges.
Or, in her words, a "tax." Cut her a break and expand your thinking, people. Many seem overly-eager to slam her.
Tire pricing really nails cyclists, even if carefully shopped. Add other consumables like chains, cables, and batteries/lights.
Thanks. And you're not kidding about bike tires! I was on Jenson's site earlier this week, shopping tires. I saw some high end options that were literally more per tire than for my daily driver.
Originally Posted by genejockey
All my Blackburn stuff - lights, pumps, etc - all came from bike shops.
My nearest dedicated bike shop is over 50 miles away.
And, as she's done in other threads, she also tried to turn the discussion political.
No, I have very specifically avoided turning this thread political.
Old 04-09-23, 09:20 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Give you a few more posts and you'll discover the law of supply and demand.
I was refuting the claim made above that retailers competing to buy scarce resources is not “economic competition”.

A easy way to refute that was by citing some Econ 101.

Allow me to state this observation:

There is a common notion that if consumer prices are high, it must be because suppliers are raking in huge profits. While there is some evidence of that in some categories, I don’t see a lot of profit being made in bikes. Especially not at retail, which has never been a way to big profits, and is only worse now.

It was always fun to stand silently while a customer berated me about how our prices were ridiculous, how we were ripping people off, how we had no shame, etc., while I was wondering if I was going to have enough money at the end of the month to pay the landlord.

Last edited by terrymorse; 04-09-23 at 09:54 AM.
Old 04-09-23, 09:30 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 223 Posts
Do people not understand that there's quality tiers to tires? I can get a schwalbe marathon for 14 € per tire but conti GP5000 S TRs are 55€ a pop, minimum. One is a hard wearing allround tire that'll not win any races but might take you around the world safely. The other is a top end racing tire that's essentially built for pure speed.

If I were to put highest grade of professional racing track tires on our toyota I'd be paying out the nose and they wouldn't last very long.

If you want fast bicycle tires they're going to be expensive. You can buy slower tires for cheaper. But of course it's more satisfying to complain on the internet that the luxury product you want costs too much.
Likes For elcruxio:
Old 04-09-23, 09:34 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10440 Post(s)
Liked 11,914 Times in 6,101 Posts
Right, the tax tacks. I think the government should impose a special sales tax on tax tacks, and we can call it the tax tacks tax.
Secretary of War : How about taking up the tax?

Rufus T. Firefly : How 'bout taking up the carpet?

Secretary of War : I still insist we must take up the tax!

Rufus T. Firefly : He's right, you've gotta take up the tacks before you can take up the carpet.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.