Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Carbon wheels for mere mortals

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Carbon wheels for mere mortals

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-23, 07:44 PM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 299 Posts
Originally Posted by tFUnK
Absolutely, latex and TPU inner tubes are a significant upgrade over standard butyl tubes (though there are lightweight, performance oriented butyl tubes offerings as well). As for tires, the difference between a racing tire and a training tire can be significant as well, with mileage and puncture protection being trade-offs. While the Conti GP 5k is considered a training tire, it's well accepted that it is a comfortable and fast tire.
Thanks. I'll have to check that out. I might need to get a wheel set just for events though, keep a training wheel set on the bike for regular rides. It seems I'm constantly picking up wire from shredded radials on my normal route. Just the hazards of living in a rural community with very few dedicated bike lanes/paths.
Old 04-11-23, 08:03 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 694 Posts
Conti GP 5k is considered a training tire
Source ?

Barry
Old 04-11-23, 08:21 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,026 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
But, a wide internal width carbon tubeless rim with good sealant will not flat as often, the much stronger carbon rim will stay in true probably forever, it will be a little more aerodynamic, and the wider internal width combined with a relatively wider tire width will roll better and faster than a fatter tire on a narrow rim. Worth it? Who knows. Personally, I spend on cycling stuff because I am old and have nothing better to spend it on. If I can save two watts, I am interested at a certain price per watt. Wheels and tires are more than a couple of watts. You have to decide your price. If you are committing to the time and cost to quality for PBP and travel there, $1500-1700 on a set of Firecrest 303 is relatively trivial
And this nails the concept. If you've got the time and enjoy the sport the gains might be marginal but even marginal gains at the right cost are worth it for something you enjoy doing.

Originally Posted by VegasJen
Thanks. I'll have to check that out. I might need to get a wheel set just for events though, keep a training wheel set on the bike for regular rides. It seems I'm constantly picking up wire from shredded radials on my normal route. Just the hazards of living in a rural community with very few dedicated bike lanes/paths.
I've got my daughter's bike set up with latex tubes and latex tubeless sealant in them, not only does it ride nice, the sealant should help in the event of a tiny flat, and the latex sealant does seem to have slowed down how often I have to fill her tires. So far, no flats in over a year. But, don't use sealant if the tires won't be used regularly, her cross tubes now have a small chunk of solidified sealant in one of them which doesn't matter in a cross tire that rarely seems over 12mph but it would be a different matter in a road tire that sees 30+mph descents.
Old 04-11-23, 08:43 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3149 Post(s)
Liked 1,714 Times in 1,034 Posts
I don’t recall a pre-tubeless Ksyrium Elite Disc wheelset and so don’t know the exact specs, but I don’t think Ksyriums were ever aero, certainly not like a modern carbon fiber wheelset. Based on my own experience with Ksyriums (I still have a set), aero rims, and CF aero rims, I think a pair of carbon aero wheels would be real game-changers.

The benefits of a wider rim were mentioned, but I think the benefits of the aero effect are being under-appreciated. Sure, wind can present handling problems at some angles, but at others, it can really sail a deep-section wheel. Regardless of that, though, there’s a big efficiency difference between a non-aero wheelset like Ksyrium Elite and a well-tuned aero wheelset.

i haven’t directly compared my Ksyriums to my 45mm carbon wheels, but I’ve not ridden the Ks in years because my 30mm deep, aero alu wheely GB were so much better. Without even trying, my 45mm CF aero wheels put my solo rides today within spitting distance of some of my PRs set on group rides back in ‘15, so there’s some real effect going on. Unfortunately, I’m also nearly 20lbs heavier, so the wheels ain’t fixin’ that!

Additionally, a well-chosen aero wheelset can deliver those bennies as well as substantial weight-savings over the Ksyriums, so it’s an actual win/win. For example, the rather blunt, 22mm rim height, ‘18 Mavic KED wheelset was 1670g according to Mavic, whereas something like the new Lún Hyper R45 with aero optimized, differentiated F/R rim depth and profiles, clocks in at 1322g, saving a significant 350g, or more than 3/4lbs, which would be welcome on any Everesting attempt, I’d think.

Faster and lighter is a deal which works for me, and I rarely spend long hours in the saddle or do centuries, and as noted upthread, the aero benefits get bigger the longer one rides, so for an Everest-ambitious century rider, that should make light n’ aero even more attractive.
Likes For chaadster:
Old 04-11-23, 11:45 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 318 Posts
Originally Posted by Barry2
Source ?

Barry
It's marketed as a high-performance all-rounder. Interpret that how you will. I acknowledge that these days the boundary between what's considered a training tire vs. what's considered a race tire has been blurred with tubeless and clincher tires making their way into the pro peloton, but the GP5k is the successor to the GP4k, and the GP4k was always traditionally thought of as a training tire (albeit one that many race on, especially if one is not riding tubulars). I'm not disputing the fact that the GP#K series of tires have always performed as well as tires marketed as race tires (eg, GP Attack/Force, Vittoria Opens, etc.).
Old 04-11-23, 11:51 PM
tFUnK

Originally Posted by chaadster
I don’t recall a pre-tubeless Ksyrium Elite Disc wheelset and so don’t know the exact specs, but I don’t think Ksyriums were ever aero, certainly not like a modern carbon fiber wheelset. Based on my own experience with Ksyriums (I still have a set), aero rims, and CF aero rims, I think a pair of carbon aero wheels would be real game-changers.
It's all relative, though. The Ksyriums are definitely not considered aero by today's standards but they were one of the first to introduce fat bladed spokes, which, compared to the box rims with round spokes at the time, were thought to offer an aerodynamic benefit. They certainly caught a lot of cross wind. Today even the 30mm deep V alloy rims of the late 90s/early 00s aren't considered "aero" given how deep we've been able to go with carbon rims.

Last edited by tFUnK; 04-12-23 at 01:56 AM.
Old 04-11-23, 11:53 PM
tFUnK

I wonder if you might be a good candidate for tubeless.
Old 04-12-23, 12:52 AM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 299 Posts
I wonder if you might be a good candidate for tubeless.
I don't know. I don't know enough about them. Without knowing, it seems like tubeless might be more susceptible to punctures. But I'm open to learning new things.
Old 04-12-23, 06:10 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

I don't know. I don't know enough about them. Without knowing, it seems like tubeless might be more susceptible to punctures.
That’s a fascinating statement, and really speaks to the nature and quality of the discussions around here, I think. BF is like the 4Chan of the cycling world sometimes.
Likes For chaadster:
Old 04-12-23, 06:59 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

It's all relative, though. The Ksyriums are definitely not considered aero by today's standards but they were one of the first to introduce fat bladed spokes, which, compared to the box rims with round spokes at the time, were thought to offer an aerodynamic benefit. They certainly caught a lot of cross wind. Today even the 30mm deep V alloy rims of the late 90s/early 00s aren't considered "aero" given how deep we've been able to go with carbon rims.
Your point is taken, as there many “classic” wheels in production and use when Ksyrium dropped in the late ‘90s (or was it ‘00s?), but Mavic knew aero well by then, since they’d been making disc and tri-spoke wheels since the ‘80s, and Cosmic Carbone launched in the early ‘90s, many years ahead of Ksyrium, so even when new, Ksyrium was relatively non-aero within the Mavic lineup. And of course, HED had already dropped it’s 2nd gen, toroidal deep section wheel, the Jet, by the time Ksyrium came out, as had the Zipp 400 been out for a decade, so there was certainly an aero standard which Ksyrium never met.
Old 04-12-23, 07:27 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 498 Posts
Absolutely, latex and TPU inner tubes are a significant upgrade over standard butyl tubes (though there are lightweight, performance oriented butyl tubes offerings as well). As for tires, the difference between a racing tire and a training tire can be significant as well, with mileage and puncture protection being trade-offs. While the Conti GP 5k is considered a training tire, it's well accepted that it is a comfortable and fast tire.
Conti GP 5k is a highly rated and great performing tire.
Depending on model version TdF, TL, TR or TT they rate 4.5 to 5.0 based on specs like mm, grams and watts.
I love riding the TdF version and they are the lowest rated of the variants at 4.5.
Old 04-12-23, 07:31 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1821 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 976 Posts
I don't know. I don't know enough about them. Without knowing, it seems like tubeless might be more susceptible to punctures. But I'm open to learning new things.
The exact opposite is true. I have been riding road tubeless tires for 12 years and in that time I have only once had to stop to repair a flat. A couple of other times I had a leak slow enough that all I had to do was stop and pump the tire back up to finish my ride. If you get a lot of small pinprick punctures, tubeless is the best way to deal with them
Old 04-12-23, 07:35 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

It's marketed as a high-performance all-rounder. Interpret that how you will. I acknowledge that these days the boundary between what's considered a training tire vs. what's considered a race tire has been blurred with tubeless and clincher tires making their way into the pro peloton, but the GP5k is the successor to the GP4k, and the GP4k was always traditionally thought of as a training tire (albeit one that many race on, especially if one is not riding tubulars). I'm not disputing the fact that the GP#K series of tires have always performed as well as tires marketed as race tires (eg, GP Attack/Force, Vittoria Opens, etc.).
So, it would appear you do consider GP 5000 a race tire.
or
a training tire for those that race tubs.

That’s fair.

I gave up tubs 40 years ago.
As a broke 19yr old, I didn’t enjoy that much sewing.

Barry
Likes For Barry2:
Old 04-12-23, 08:20 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Originally Posted by alcjphil
The exact opposite is true. I have been riding road tubeless tires for 12 years and in that time I have only once had to stop to repair a flat. A couple of other times I had a leak slow enough that all I had to do was stop and pump the tire back up to finish my ride. If you get a lot of small pinprick punctures, tubeless is the best way to deal with them
+1
Me too!

9000+ tubeless miles on 700cx25 (road tubeless) and no ride ending flats.
Even a 1.5” nail that went in the tread & out the sidewall. Tire was still hard the following day when I found it on my pre-ride inspection.

My buddies got sick of fixing flats while I heckle them and have all gone tubeless.

Just know two things
1. Tubeless will loose more air overnight
2. You will need to check (top up) sealant level every 2-4 months, (takes <10mins if you do it right)

Barry
Old 04-12-23, 08:37 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
To me it seems a bit disingenuous to claim that tubeless tires are more resistant to flats - and then add the proviso that you need to keep the sealant topped off.
Likes For BlazingPedals:
Old 04-12-23, 08:48 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Without knowing, it seems like tubeless might be more susceptible to punctures.
Modern tubeless tires leak air, so they require liquid sealant to be installed within the tire, and the sealant must be refreshed periodically.

This inherent leakiness of a tubeless tire is considered by some to be an advantage, as the mandatory sealant is able to seal small punctures. If the ability to seal small punctures is something you desire, sealant also can be used within a traditional inner tube.

Old 04-12-23, 09:02 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1821 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 976 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
Modern tubeless tires leak air, so they require liquid sealant to be installed within the tire, and the sealant must be refreshed periodically.

This inherent leakiness of a tubeless tire is considered by some to be an advantage, as the mandatory sealant is able to seal small punctures. If the ability to seal small punctures is something you desire, sealant also can be used within a traditional inner tube.
Actually, many tubeless tires can be used without sealant. The Hutchinson Fusion5 All Season tires on my road bike will hold air sufficiently well without sealant that I can ride them for 3-4 days before I have to reinflate them. Adding sealant to these tires doesn't change this by much, but it does provide added flat resistance from punctures
Old 04-12-23, 09:11 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
To me it seems a bit disingenuous to claim that tubeless tires are more resistant to flats - and then add the proviso that you need to keep the sealant topped off.
I'd much rather top up sealent every 2-4 months in the comfort of my home and on my schedule, than randomly fix flats beside the road.

Pays your money, takes your choice!

Barry
Likes For Barry2:
Old 04-12-23, 09:27 AM
tFUnK

Originally Posted by chaadster
Your point is taken, as there many “classic” wheels in production and use when Ksyrium dropped in the late ‘90s (or was it ‘00s?), but Mavic knew aero well by then, since they’d been making disc and tri-spoke wheels since the ‘80s, and Cosmic Carbone launched in the early ‘90s, many years ahead of Ksyrium, so even when new, Ksyrium was relatively non-aero within the Mavic lineup. And of course, HED had already dropped it’s 2nd gen, toroidal deep section wheel, the Jet, by the time Ksyrium came out, as had the Zipp 400 been out for a decade, so there was certainly an aero standard which Ksyrium never met.
Yeah, that's true. While I don't recall seeing the Cosmic Carbones until the mid-00s, the original alloy Cosmic wheels indeed predated the Ksyrium. Those alloy Cosmics looked so cool but were so heavy. Point taken about those early HEDs and Zipps - I guess I've thought about them as tri or TT wheels back then and not as road wheels, but maybe that's just my perception. How times have changed.
Likes For tFUnK:
Old 04-12-23, 09:31 AM
tFUnK

So, it would appear you do consider GP 5000 a race tire.
or
a training tire for those that race tubs.

That’s fair.

I gave up tubs 40 years ago.
As a broke 19yr old, I didn’t enjoy that much sewing.

Barry
If I raced I would not hesitate to race on GP5ks, that's for sure. Seeing as many rode some version of the tubeless GP5ks in Paris-Roubaix last weekend, I think my comment about them being a "training tire" may not be totally accurate. I guess that was a carryover from the GP4k days - they were marketed as training tires in an era when the pros (and maybe serious amateurs) were racing tubulars.
Old 04-12-23, 09:37 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
Actually, many tubeless tires can be used without sealant.
The trend is to reduce the weight of tubeless tires, so manufacturers are now removing the butyl liner (essentially a butyl inner tubed bonded to the inside of the tire) that helped keep the air in.

Continental designates their leaky Grand Prix 5000 tire without a liner "tubeless ready" (TR), as opposed to their less leaky "tubeless" (TL). They no longer make their tubeless (TL) version.

Last edited by terrymorse; 04-12-23 at 09:53 AM.
Likes For terrymorse:
Old 04-12-23, 09:40 AM
tFUnK

Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
I guess one needs to determine, based on the frequency of punctures on the road, whether they find changing x roadside flats per year is more or less tolerable than topping up sealant 2-4x per year. I personally don't ride tubeless on my road bikes because my frames limit me to 25mm tires (so I'm riding relatively high psi by today's standards), and I tend to switch out tires between bikes on occasion just for fun, but I know that tubeless has come a long way since the 90s in MTB applications, and probably makes a lot of sense for those riding 28mm tires or wider. I'm still skeptical about 25mm tubeless setups due to the higher psi I would need at my weight, but perhaps that's unfounded.
Old 04-12-23, 10:09 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 969 Post(s)
Liked 1,632 Times in 1,048 Posts
Getting a new set of shoes for your bike sounds fine. Often it's not just the weight. Sometimes just upgrading some little thing that is not even significant in weight or function can make your ride faster...

Remember the streamers? Sure... They added weight, but man they made ya fast...

off the net
Old 04-12-23, 10:19 AM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by cormacf
Given that I'm not racing and I'm not particularly chasing deep aero shapes, would upgrading to a carbon wheelset be something I'd notice? It would probably be something relatively inexpensive (like a Hunt 30 Disc set) if I did.

Thanks!
If you opt for a 40-60mm deep wheelset, you'll notice the aero advantage right away. You don't have to race to appreciate being more aero, being able to go further on the same effort, or being able to go a little faster when you want. It isn't a night and day difference, but you'll notice it.

The question is properly is "is it worth the price?" Only you can answer that. Everyone with carbon wheels already answered it for themselves.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Likes For bbbean:
Old 04-12-23, 10:23 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,099 Times in 3,833 Posts
I'd much rather top up sealent every 2-4 months in the comfort of my home and on my schedule, than randomly fix flats beside the road.
This ^^^

I added a little sealant one of the tires on my gravel bike before my ride yesterday. It took about 2 minutes. Maybe less.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.