Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Disc brakes are great!

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Disc brakes are great!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-24, 12:13 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Because it was decided to run the front calipers behind the fork so when you brake, the disc and hence the hub is forced down. And out of traditional dropouts.
Thankfully, there's a safety feature built into every fork dropout that prevents pull-out. They're called 'safety tabs", and it's why you have to unscrew the QR skewer to get the wheel off."

Last edited by terrymorse; 02-14-24 at 12:27 PM.
Old 02-14-24, 12:15 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3514 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
Thankfully, there's a safety feature built into every fork dropout that prevents pull-out. They're called 'safety tabs", and it's why you have to unscrew the QR skewer to get the wheel off.
Man, glad I don't have to deal with any of that BS!
Likes For smd4:
Old 02-14-24, 12:38 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26425 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
The quote you referenced seems like koyote was saying others were insulting and attacking him.
...one of the essential features of good trolling, is the ability to assume the position of victim. This goes on, regardless of topic or circumstance. But as the saying goes lately, here in the general forum, "Hey, you be you." Here's my one question for you. If, as is the real world case, the argument on disc v rim brakes on bicycles has already been decided (by manufacturing and marketing), and you disc brakes, why start this thread at all ?

Or more briefly, as I stated earlier:

Originally Posted by 3alarmer

...I'm so happy for you. Words can't really describe how happy I am for you, so I made this meme instead.

There really is an answer to this question, it's just not the one you seem to envision.
​​​​​​​
Old 02-14-24, 12:54 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,580 Times in 7,337 Posts
All my bikes have rim brakes. If you have disc brakes, you have better brakes than I do.

Here:

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 02-14-24, 12:55 PM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked 773 Times in 404 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
All my bikes have rim brakes. If you have disc brakes, you have better brakes than I do.

Here:

At least you understand!!!
Old 02-14-24, 12:58 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10440 Post(s)
Liked 11,914 Times in 6,101 Posts
"I came here for an argument!"

"Oh! Oh, I'm sorry! This is abuse."

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 02-14-24, 12:59 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts
Hmm.

I assume the failure mode is an axle pulling down out of dropouts. Obviously not a problem for the front axle, held in the dropouts with safety tabs.

But the rear axle? It seems that the braking force from a caliper on the seat stay wants to push the axle upwards, holding it into the vertical dropout. I don't see how that force could make the axle want to move downwards and out of the dropout.
Thankfully, there's a safety feature built into every fork dropout that prevents pull-out. They're called 'safety tabs", and it's why you have to unscrew the QR skewer to get the wheel off."
Not every one....and the whole disc and wheel retention thing is why the current standard for disc brakes is thru axle

Old 02-14-24, 01:00 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by indyfabz
...there's no way I'd buy and ride a fat tire e-bike with 1500 watt motor, full suspension, and a top speed of 35 mph, unless it came with disc brakes. That would just be crazy.
Old 02-14-24, 01:01 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by Jughed
...those cookies are not for weight weenies.
Old 02-14-24, 01:08 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

I'm always amused by people who respond to "disc brakes are better" with "I've never had any problems with rim brakes", as if that makes them the pinnacle of bicycle braking technology. A couple years ago, I got a couple old (early 80s) bikes, with old single-pivot brakes. I found they were A LOT less capable than modern dual pivots, and I posted a thread on C&V about it. Of course I got a lot of useful suggestions, like getting some modern pads. But then there were the folks who said they had "never had a problem" with those old brakes.

I imagine lots of people who've never experienced something better than what they have, have "never had a problem" with whatever it is. In cars, most people "never had a problem" with drum brakes all around because most people weren't pushing them to their limits. In fact they might not even notice the improvement disc brakes in cars made because the car stopped regardless.

Anyhow, my point is that, in my experience with bikes with a variety of brake types, discs > dual pivots > late '80s single pivots > early '80s single pivots. That said, I ride bikes with each of those braking systems and have a great time doing so, and isn't that the point? If it isn't, why the hell would we even ride?

Likes For genejockey:
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 399 Times in 276 Posts
Manufactures started putting lawyer lips on bicycles long before disk brakes showed up on the seen. Obviously the QR setup was to complicated for some people. To add sauce to the goose the manufactures then made sub standard QR skewers for those lawyer Lipped bicycles. It is no wonder to me why some people claim that disk brakes can cause the front wheel to be pushed out. I believe that the disk brake equipped bicycles that had a wheel come out had help from functionally illiterate people.
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 153 Posts
Lawyer lips. You're thankful for lawyer lips? Man, I Dremel them $#it$ off and trust myself to tighten the QR sufficiently.
Likes For calamarichris:
Old 02-14-24, 01:15 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by calamarichris
Lawyer lips. You're thankful for lawyer lips? Man, I Dremel them $#it$ off and trust myself to tighten the QR sufficiently.
This is the way.

Old 02-14-24, 01:24 PM
smd4

Originally Posted by genejockey
I'm always amused by people who respond to "disc brakes are better" with "I've never had any problems with rim brakes", as if that makes them the pinnacle of bicycle braking technology.
My rim brakes feel the same as the disc brakes I've ridden. I only ride when it's dry out. So what, exactly, am I missing?
Likes For smd4:
Old 02-14-24, 01:25 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts
...there's no way I'd buy and ride a fat tire e-bike with 1500 watt motor, full suspension, and a top speed of 35 mph, unless it came with disc brakes. That would just be crazy.
that is a motorcycle, not a bike....pedals or not and even more so if it has a throttle, not just pedal assist

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 02-14-24, 01:28 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by smd4
My rim brakes feel the same as the disc brakes I've ridden. I only ride when it's dry out. So what, exactly, am I missing?
Dunno. Maybe you're just insensitive.

Old 02-14-24, 01:31 PM
smd4

Originally Posted by genejockey
Dunno. Maybe you're just insensitive.
I'm a sweetheart. But I digress.

The answer, if we're being honest, is "nothing."
Old 02-14-24, 01:33 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by squirtdad
that is a motorcycle, not a bike....pedals or not and even more so if it has a throttle, not just pedal assist

...I was trying to go with the theme here, that disc brakes are great. It's hard for me to find stuff that supports them as the standard on bicycles, given my use patterns. I'm trying hard here to be positive. Certainly they have enabled this whole expansion into the world of small, lightweight motorized cycles pretending to be bicycles.

Stopping that much mass, rolling at speed, would be a challenge for rim brakes.
Old 02-14-24, 01:34 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad

Thankfully, there's a safety feature built into every fork dropout that prevents pull-out. They're called "safety tabs", and it's why you have to unscrew the QR skewer to get the wheel off.
Not every one....and the whole disc and wheel retention thing is why the current standard for disc brakes is thru axle
For real? I haven't seen a factory fork dropout without a safety tab for many years.

Old 02-14-24, 01:39 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10969 Post(s)
Liked 7,495 Times in 4,191 Posts
Here's my one question for you. If, as is the real world case, the argument on disc v rim brakes on bicycles has already been decided (by manufacturing and marketing), and you disc brakes, why start this thread at all ?
Why start the thread at all?
- to try and understand why others wont get on board with what you think is clearly the obviously best choice.
- to try and convince holdouts, through conversation, that they should jump on board.
- to try and start an argument for entertainment.

I dont know why koyote started the thread as it isnt my week to peek into his mind and explain his motivations. My week starts March 17th, so ask me then and I can give you a more accurate answer.
Old 02-14-24, 01:41 PM
indyfabz

...those cookies are not for weight weenies.
I baked this Basque Cheesecake in the fall. The nutrition information said it had nearly 9,000 calories. And no, it wasn’t burnt. It’s baked at a higher than normal temperature to create the browning,

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 02-14-24, 01:44 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by smd4
I'm a sweetheart. But I digress.

The answer, if we're being honest, is "nothing."
Well, guy, I don't know what to tell you, except I find the disc brakes both more powerful and more capable of subtle modulation of speed than rim brakes, plus they work better in the wet.

Old 02-14-24, 01:45 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Jughed
Old 02-14-24, 01:45 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1371 Post(s)
Liked 477 Times in 279 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick
Manufactures started putting lawyer lips on bicycles long before disk brakes showed up on the seen. Obviously the QR setup was to complicated for some people. To add sauce to the goose the manufactures then made sub standard QR skewers for those lawyer Lipped bicycles. It is no wonder to me why some people claim that disk brakes can cause the front wheel to be pushed out. I believe that the disk brake equipped bicycles that had a wheel come out had help from functionally illiterate people.
Exactly. There are two dominant forces in the bike industry: the need to turn over customer inventory, and legal butt covering. The former is created by planned obsolescence, the proliferation of new 'standards', and choking off the supply chain for older parts. The latter results in dumb stuff like thru axles.

History:
  1. Campagnolo develops the QR in the 30's - a significant improvement that allows wheel changes in the seconds. You flip the lever and the wheel drops out.
  2. Some dumbass in some litigious country hurts themselves, and through the efforts of an ambulance chasing lawyer and muddle-headed jury, successfully sues. Hence: "lawyer lips". Now bike users have to tediously twiddle with their QR lever, actually increasing the chance of a retention problem. As in a lot of riders now just spin their QR lever and never clamp it down, as is necessary to get adequate retention.
  3. Next solution: the thru axle! It is not actually an axle, so it doesn't support any forces and it doesn't make anything stiffer or stronger. It is merely a wheel retention device, that features less clamping force than a properly applied QR. But it is relatively idiotproof, and allows the bike industry to shed any liability.

So now instead of the efficiency of the original QR, we have this heavy, fussy solution that requires spinning and fiddling. Plus it gets lost in your car or the trailhead, and costs $40 to replace. If you can find one of the 10 different 'standards' that fits your hub and fork.
Old 02-14-24, 01:49 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Again with the "10 different standards". Hey, can I use the QR from my 6 speed bike with 126mm spacing on my 10 speed bike with 130? Or my hybrid with 135? No? Gosh, sounds like there are different, incompatible standards for QRs, too!

Likes For genejockey:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.