Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Clipless vs Flat Pedals

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Clipless vs Flat Pedals

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-23, 09:00 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2976 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 771 Posts
Originally Posted by Canker
Well at the time I started riding clipless 10+ years ago Crankbrothers were known for clearing mud extremely well but being fragile. Shimano were know for being indestructible but clogged with mud easily. Time were both indestructible and cleared mud nearly as well as Crankbrothers so that is what I went with. Now all my bikes are Time, I'm use to Time, and I have no reason to switch to something else. The only real downside is nearly everybody I ride with is on Shimano, kind of the default, so we can't swap bikes mid ride just for fun.
I ride Time also. One of the biggest reasons is the 10 degree easy release cleat.
Old 04-18-23, 09:18 AM
DomaneS5
Fredly Fredster

Bikes: Trek Domane S5, Trek 1.1c, Motobecane Omni Strada Comp, Trek X-Caliber 6

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Clipless pedals on my road and gravel bikes. Flat pedals on my mountain bike. Works for me.
Old 04-19-23, 05:33 PM
MikeWMass

Bikes: Velosolex St. Tropez, LeMond Zurich (spine bike), Rotator swb recumbent

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 32 Posts
I like (have) Time RXS, have been using them since 2006 when I bought my first new bike since 1977 and gave up qull pedals with toeclips.
Good float, easy to clip in, cleats don't scratch the floor if I forget something and have to go back inside. Relatively tolerant of dirt if I have to stop and pee. Big enough that I can ride briefly in regular shoes.
Old 04-26-23, 07:13 PM
theronin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
I agree, no idea what the mod was talking about there.

I find clipless much better for road biking, just takes a little time to become second nature. But I still prefer flat pedals for technical mountain biking - mostly for practical reasons e.g. no worries about clipping in muddy conditions and flats are better when off-bike.
I'd venture to guess that "little time" is spent in traffic and really getting used to the pedals. It's been a few months now and I'll be honest, I'm still scared to approach intersections lol. I still try to roll up to it and not have to get off. I do have my pedals set to the loosest possible which has kept me from faceplanting once already. Now with that said, I'll ride my hybrid which has flat pedals and I immediately miss the connected feeling I have with clipless. I may even throw some hybrid SPD-flat pedals on that hybrid.
Old 04-26-23, 07:29 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2587 Post(s)
Liked 5,649 Times in 2,924 Posts
Originally Posted by Canker
Well at the time I started riding clipless 10+ years ago Crankbrothers were known for clearing mud extremely well but being fragile. Shimano were know for being indestructible but clogged with mud easily. Time were both indestructible and cleared mud nearly as well as Crankbrothers so that is what I went with. Now all my bikes are Time, I'm use to Time, and I have no reason to switch to something else. The only real downside is nearly everybody I ride with is on Shimano, kind of the default, so we can't swap bikes mid ride just for fun.
That may be very true for mountain bike or gravel, but for road riding, (you were not specific) I have used Look and Shimano for decades on the road and never had an issue with mud clogging since I don’t put my feet down in mud, just tarmac. Time may have excellent pedals, but for the road, I see no reason to switch for a non-issue. You showed your hand toward bias against Shimano about not being able to switch bikes. I would think carrying the proper size Allen wrench could readily swap pedals between bikes in less than 3 minutes.

I have ridden using rat traps and clipless on road and mountain for decades. The MTB pedals were Shimano and they did clog but was alway able to slam my foot on a rock or something to clear them. I used them because I am primarily a roadie and like to be able to sprint up hills out of the saddle. I could see pinned flats being very beneficial if you lived in a muddy area.

Now we need VegasJen to chime in. She just may have an opinion.

Last edited by rsbob; 04-26-23 at 07:42 PM.
Old 04-26-23, 10:36 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 922 Times in 447 Posts
I built up a new road bike to ride clipless with confidence. Since my hip replacements, that means a step-through frame. I have a pair of the Shimano flat/SPD combination pedals, but after using them I really feel that they are awkward in either usage, in no small part because orientation be comes important, and a distraction. So in order to keep casual-shoe-capable, I bought some stealth cleats, this is, SPD shoes that look like tennis shoes. That way I can ride to a doctor appointment on my new double-sided clipless-only pedals and not click and clack around, slipping and wobbling while looking like a dork after I get there. That's important here, in my mind at least, although I may have crossed that line already, I'm afraid.
Old 04-27-23, 05:01 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
That may be very true for mountain bike or gravel, but for road riding, (you were not specific)
Crankbrothers only make MTB pedals, and he mentioned earlier that he uses MTB pedals.
Old 04-27-23, 07:15 AM
Robert7659
Getoutofmyway

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
To me clipless pedals are like car seat belts, you quickly get used to them and then riding without doesn’t feel right at all.
Likes For Robert7659:
Old 04-27-23, 09:09 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2587 Post(s)
Liked 5,649 Times in 2,924 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
Crankbrothers only make MTB pedals, and he mentioned earlier that he uses MTB pedals.
Appears I missed that in his original post: “Clipless and flat pedals both have their pros and cons. However, I enjoy using clipless for sprinting. Clipless pedals also help to reduce the strains on my knees and quads when I do a quick acceleration from a slow speed.”

Old 04-28-23, 09:06 AM
friday1970

Bikes: Optima Baron LR, '14 Nishiki Maricopa,'87 Trek 330 Elance, '89 Miyata 1400, '85 Peugeot PGN10, '04 Fuji Ace, '06 Giant Rincon, '95 Giant Allegre, '83 Trek 620, '86 Schwinn High Sierra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
It's not as if this topic has not been discussed before on BF. Of course that won't stop this thread from hitting 10 pages or more.
Just adding to this thread to make it to 10 pages.
Likes For friday1970:
Old 04-28-23, 10:11 PM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 395 Times in 227 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert7659
To me clipless pedals are like car seat belts, you quickly get used to them and then riding without doesn’t feel right at all.
That sounds exactly like me. I love that feeling of being connected to the bike.
Likes For SpeedyBlueBiker: