Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2024.1

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2024.1

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-24, 02:44 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
WEST COAST ARMAGEDDON ALERT
Yeah, it's going to be messy this weekend. I'm just hoping our local roads survive undamaged. The hills are pretty unstable in places.

We still have some one-lane, traffic light controlled road sections after last year's deluge. A few new slides on Mt Hamilton, too.

Old 02-29-24, 02:49 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10438 Post(s)
Liked 11,913 Times in 6,101 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
I know that intersection well. As a general habit, I try to check traffic both ways whenever I get the green light, no matter which intersection it is. Red light running is pretty common these days. Particularly the "light was yellow-ish, so I went very fast" trick.

Head on a swivel.
Absolutely, especially there, because people come under 280 still at freeway speeds. This wasn't 'pushing a yellow light'. This was 'ignoring a red light'. And the reason it surprised me so much is that the cars in the right lane slowed and stopped, so you'd think that would tell the clown in the Camaro something. He was WAY back from the light when it changed.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 02-29-24, 02:51 PM
seedsbelize2

Bikes: 79 Trek 930 is back on the road, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3202 Post(s)
Liked 1,844 Times in 1,163 Posts
Originally Posted by DougRNS
I'm not well. That's fake news.
I was speaking to abshipp
Old 02-29-24, 02:54 PM
seedsbelize2

Bikes: 79 Trek 930 is back on the road, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Originally Posted by DougRNS
is there waving?
Some.
Old 02-29-24, 03:00 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11404 Post(s)
Liked 4,761 Times in 2,770 Posts
I always thanked anyone involved in getting me to my destination in one piece, when it involved an airplane. That said, I'll likely never fly again. The last time was such a **** show, I can't imagine paying to go through that crap again, and it wasn't even bad in comparison to some stuff I've seen.
Likes For LAJ:
Old 02-29-24, 03:05 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,098 Times in 3,833 Posts
New road kicks. The current edition of Shimano’s top road show retails for $450, but I found the previous model for 56% of that on eBay. New, in original box.

20+ years ago, I had some Shimano road shoes, and I really liked the way they fit my feet. For some reason, I kind of ignored Shimano shoes after that. Recently, I stopped by a LBS for a few little things, and on a whim, tried on a pair of Shimano shoes. Bing!…the FIT!!

I have a narrow heel and a low instep, which always makes getting a good fit challenging, and usually requires extra thickness of insoles or padding the inside of the tongue to get enough volume inside the shoe. Sidis are supposedly good for narrow feet, but I could never get a lock-down fit around my heel. My current Bont shoes are pretty good, and the heat-moldable sole has been helpful, but I was really blown away by the Shimanos. The LBS didn’t have a model and color combination for road shoes that I wanted. If I decide to replace my MTB/gravel shoes (also currently Bonts), I will check the LBS first.
Old 02-29-24, 03:06 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2640 Post(s)
Liked 3,153 Times in 1,660 Posts
Tahoe snow-pack looks exciting. Any bay area people skiers? Squaw valley anyone?
Old 02-29-24, 03:07 PM
LAJ
So it is

I work for the state, and chain of command type nonsense is to be followed to a "T". Along with all the rest of the stuff that continues to ramp up in importance. This thanking thing I'm reading about is counter-intuitive to my being, so All Y'All would likely detest sharing a workplace with me. That said, since I work in my own little slice of heaven, and not at the main campus, I'm mostly insulated from the pure nonsense that occurs. Of course, I likely work with more people in my little part than at the main, simply because working from home is a huge thing there.

I had to wait for an answer to a fiscal question I had, as the person I was speaking to was in the middle of making their coffee. No thank you was uttered or implied, in this case.

Last edited by LAJ; 02-29-24 at 03:30 PM.
Old 02-29-24, 03:09 PM
seedsbelize2

Originally Posted by phrantic09
But it is a game. It’s all fake politeness to make the person doing the thanking, greeting or asking how someone is feel good and appear polite. Do they actually care how the person they greet is doing? Are they actually grateful that the grocery clerk rang up their order or are they saying thanks because it’s expected?
Good points. Comparing it to my experiences in the USA, it at least feels sincere. True, it is a cultural requirement. I don’t get the impression that it’s fake politeness. It isn’t fake when coming from me, but I am an outlier, probably in any culture. I very much prefer the feeling I get here to the feeling I get there. There it just feels plastic. I realize, now, that volumes could be written on this subject. I have edited this post a half dozen times. I’ll leave it here.

Last edited by seedsbelize2; 02-29-24 at 03:16 PM.
Old 02-29-24, 03:11 PM
LAJ
So it is

Originally Posted by Eric F
New road kicks. The current edition of Shimano’s top road show retails for $450, but I found the previous model for 56% of that on eBay. New, in original box.

20+ years ago, I had some Shimano road shoes, and I really liked the way they fit my feet. For some reason, I kind of ignored Shimano shoes after that. Recently, I stopped by a LBS for a few little things, and on a whim, tried on a pair of Shimano shoes. Bing!…the FIT!!

I have a narrow heel and a low instep, which always makes getting a good fit challenging, and usually requires extra thickness of insoles or padding the inside of the tongue to get enough volume inside the shoe. Sidis are supposedly good for narrow feet, but I could never get a lock-down fit around my heel. My current Bont shoes are pretty good, and the heat-moldable sole has been helpful, but I was really blown away by the Shimanos. The LBS didn’t have a model and color combination for road shoes that I wanted. If I decide to replace my MTB/gravel shoes (also currently Bonts), I will check the LBS first.
Nice.

I bought a pair of Bonts on clearance from Performance, as I wanted to try the heat moldable dealio. They felt awesome, and so the next ride I gave them a shot. I turned around after 15 minutes, and if I could have pedaled in my stocking feet, I would have tried. Whew. A static fit was delicious, but dynamically, they made me want to cry.
Old 02-29-24, 03:19 PM
seedsbelize2

Originally Posted by bampilot06
Arrive an hour early. Receive no “Thank You”.
Arrive 5 mins late, hear all about it.

Butter landing, Nothing

Hard landing: Suddenly every passenger has a pilots liscense and wants to tell you what you did wrong.
I make a point of talking to the captain after an excellent landing. Once, at Cleveland Hopkins, I literally didn’t feel the wheels hit the ground. That was the first time I said something.
Old 02-29-24, 03:21 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Yeah, it's going to be messy this weekend. I'm just hoping our local roads survive undamaged. The hills are pretty unstable in places.

We still have some one-lane, traffic light controlled road sections after last year's deluge. A few new slides on Mt Hamilton, too.
Weird thing is, while they're predicting SNOWMAGEDDON!!!! in the Sierra, there are no excessive rein warnings down here in the Bay Area - NWS sez 1-1.5" over 4 days.

Still, Saturday is 100% chance of rain, so that'll almost certainly nix the Monthy C&V Ride.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 02-29-24, 03:25 PM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10238 Post(s)
Liked 5,185 Times in 2,226 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize2
I make a point of talking to the captain after an excellent landing. Once, at Cleveland Hopkins, I literally didn’t feel the wheels hit the ground. That was the first time I said something.

Captains are not the only ones who land the plane.
Old 02-29-24, 03:27 PM
seedsbelize2

[QUOTE=LAJ;23171123]I always thanked anyone involved in getting me to my destination in one piece, when it involved an airplane. That said, I'll likely never fly again. The last time was such a **** show, I can't imagine paying to go through that crap again, and it wasn't even bad in comparison to some stuff I've seen.[/QUOTE
I hope I have taken my last flight.
Old 02-29-24, 03:32 PM
seedsbelize2

Captains are not the only ones who land the plane.
That’s the impression we peons are given. Maybe I thank the copilot, if the uniforms are similar. Or the navigator.
Old 02-29-24, 03:34 PM
gnome
shaken, not stirred.

Bikes: I've lost count.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1412 Post(s)
Liked 971 Times in 390 Posts
Originally Posted by LAJ
I had to wait for an answer to a fiscal question I had, as the person I was speaking to was in the middle of making their coffee. No thank you was uttered or implied, in this case.
coffee is important. you want that hit before answering any important questions. particularly fiscal ones.
Old 02-29-24, 03:35 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by Mojo31
I'll take what may be a counter stance, and suggest that hierarchies are necessary in the workplace. Those that are higher need to be kind and show appreciation as a part of motivating those below, and those below need to show respect to those above.
RMOT, from HMS Pinafore:

Ralph Rackstraw: "Sir Joseph has explained our true position to us. As he says, a British seaman is any man’s equal - excepting his, and if Sir Joseph says that, is it not our duty to believe him?"

Disk Deadeye: "You’re on a wrong tack, and so is he. He means well, but he don’t know. When people have to obey other people’s orders, equality’s out of the question!"

Old 02-29-24, 03:36 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked 547 Times in 307 Posts
Arrive an hour early. Receive no “Thank You”.
Arrive 5 mins late, hear all about it.

Butter landing, Nothing

Hard landing: Suddenly every passenger has a pilots liscense and wants to tell you what you did wrong.
Ever time I have flown into TLV the passengers applaud once the plane has touched down.

Given the culture of chutzpah there, it seems a bit out of character, but I've made the trip a bunch and it happened every time.
Old 02-29-24, 03:40 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,098 Times in 3,833 Posts
Originally Posted by LAJ
Nice.

I bought a pair of Bonts on clearance from Performance, as I wanted to try the heat moldable dealio. They felt awesome, and so the next ride I gave them a shot. I turned around after 15 minutes, and if I could have pedaled in my stocking feet, I would have tried. Whew. A static fit was delicious, but dynamically, they made me want to cry.
It took some work with my Bonts to make them good for my feet. I think I went thought 5 or 6 (maybe more) re-heat and re-shape cycles to get them right. I agree that they feel very different on the bike than they do standing on a floor. Surprisingly so. Now you have me freaked out about the Shimanos. I haven't ridden in them yet.
Old 02-29-24, 03:43 PM
LAJ
So it is

Originally Posted by gnome
coffee is important. you want that hit before answering any important questions. particularly fiscal ones.
I agree. Waiting two days for an email, then finally tracking down their phone number on their state issued cell... I figured I had given them enough time to make a cup of coffee.
Likes For LAJ:
Old 02-29-24, 03:45 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10176 Post(s)
Liked 5,872 Times in 3,161 Posts
Red light running is pretty common these days. Particularly the "light was yellow-ish, so I went very fast" trick.
We lived in the Boston area back in the 80s, where was said that "Yellow means speed up and red is purely advisory." I remember two intersections in Somerville with blinking red one way and blinking yellow the other, where a stop on yellow was obligatory if one didn't want to risk getting creamed.

Here, it's more like, "If I saw it turn red, it's a go."
Old 02-29-24, 03:46 PM
LAJ
So it is

Originally Posted by Eric F
It took some work with my Bonts to make them good for my feet. I think I went thought 5 or 6 (maybe more) re-heat and re-shape cycles to get them right. I agree that they feel very different on the bike than they do standing on a floor. Surprisingly so. Now you have me freaked out about the Shimanos. I haven't ridden in them yet.
I think you'll be fine. Bonts were the only shoe I've experienced that with. Shimano shoes just don't fit my foot quite right.
Likes For LAJ:
Old 02-29-24, 03:47 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28623 Post(s)
Liked 1,858 Times in 1,320 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
They would if we didn’t have a diver clean it monthly. A dirty bottom is slow.
How is it cleaned underwater? With a big scrub brush?
Old 02-29-24, 03:49 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10176 Post(s)
Liked 5,872 Times in 3,161 Posts
Essentially.
Old 02-29-24, 03:52 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9653 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,505 Posts
Yes, and soft cloths.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.