Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Another Op-Ed related to steel vs CF

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-24, 05:24 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts

More

https://www.bicycleretailer.com/opinion-analysis/2024/02/08/opinion-retailer-responds-eben-weiss-carbon-fiber-column
Likes For seypat:
Old 02-10-24, 06:55 AM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10238 Post(s)
Liked 5,185 Times in 2,226 Posts
steel is real.
Likes For bampilot06:
Old 02-10-24, 07:33 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,968 Times in 4,692 Posts
This is the key line from the essay:

There is no end to the amusement that comes with watching folks spend time and energy arguing for personal beliefs that are completely irrelevant to everyone else.”
Old 02-10-24, 08:39 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18421 Post(s)
Liked 15,569 Times in 7,335 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote

There is no end to the amusement that comes with watching folks spend time and energy arguing for personal beliefs that are completely irrelevant to everyone else.”
Especially because it’s an irrefutable fact that crabon is not the best frame maternal, regardless of one’s personal beliefs.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 02-10-24, 09:40 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
These bike forums are like it's the local McDonald's breakfast club. Same heated debates, different day – it's the McOldTimers hashing out tales of epic rides ridden long ago and settling into their comfortable, well-worn arguments, served with a side of Luddite. While the local group rides assemble and roll out, events kick off and hundreds of thousands of sporting cyclists pursue the sport. All the while with carbon frames, disc brakes, indexed shifting, tubeless tires, low spoke count wheels and ever increasing electronic systems, the McOldtimers are looking out the window (in this example computer screen) and commenting they are all doing it wrong.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 02-10-24, 09:48 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10436 Post(s)
Liked 11,912 Times in 6,100 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote

So at least we have a purpose.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 02-10-24, 10:05 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
The purpose of the BikeSnob column and blog is amusement.

It is somewhat similar to Bicycleforums.net in that way.

The only useful piece of information I have obtained from reading Eban's stuff (the blog is a bit better than the laundered Outside Mag pap) is the Ben's Cycles 10% off coupon.

If I want hard-core retro-advice and opinions, I can subscribe to Bicycle Quarterly (which I do).
Old 02-10-24, 10:08 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
These bike forums are like it's the local McDonald's breakfast club. Same heated debates, different day – it's the McOldTimers hashing out tales of epic rides ridden long ago and settling into their comfortable, well-worn arguments, served with a side of Luddite. While the local group rides assemble and roll out, events kick off and hundreds of thousands of sporting cyclists pursue the sport. All the while with carbon frames, disc brakes, indexed shifting, tubeless tires, low spoke count wheels and ever increasing electronic systems, the McOldtimers are looking out the window (in this example computer screen) and commenting they are all doing it wrong.
I think they do have a point with the low spoke count wheels.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 02-10-24, 10:36 AM
Kontact 

Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 1,566 Times in 1,028 Posts
I don't find the article particularly coherent.

But I do agree that much of what was nuanced about frame and fork design have gone out the window because of the requirements of disc braking.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 02-10-24, 11:05 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Originally Posted by Kontact
I don't find the article particularly coherent.
It wasn't.

At least Eben can write.

Last edited by Polaris OBark; 02-10-24 at 12:01 PM. Reason: spelling
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 02-10-24, 11:16 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3953 Post(s)
Liked 7,300 Times in 2,948 Posts
That's a serious bait-and-switch article. He opens with "As desperately as I want to agree with Eben Weiss’s recent op-ed ...", but then describes how he actually agrees with the original op-ed with the exception of one minor point.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 02-10-24, 12:42 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
But I do agree that much of what was nuanced about frame and fork design have gone out the window because of the requirements of disc braking.
Because adding mounting flanges for brake calipers on forks and stays makes frame/fork design no longer "nuanced"?

Old 02-10-24, 02:46 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
I won't read this one, and didn't read much of the other ... this is rich though ... one guy writes a hack piece to stir up debate to get "engagement" on his website to justify his paycheck ... and this vampire latches on to the other guy's article and tries to parasitically suck the same posters into extending their "engagement."

I have many much better ways to waste what little life I have left.
Old 02-10-24, 03:38 PM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by terrymorse
Because adding mounting flanges for brake calipers on forks and stays makes frame/fork design no longer "nuanced"?
If you add mounting flanges to your fork without otherwise stiffening it, you won't have a fork for very long. All disc road forks are much more rigid than the forks they replaced, and even understanding that need, many road and CX disc forks had failures.

https://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear...sc-road-forks/
https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2017/ad...s-recall-alert
https://www.cannondale.com/-/media/f...ernational.pdf
https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2013/Sa...-Bicycle-Forks <Steel is real broken!

And those are just the ones that are obviously from the left leg disc - I suspect that some of the crown and steerer tube failures of other disc bikes may have been from disc braking load.

Same with disc frames and disc wheels - they had to be redesigned to not be impacted by all that torque. You don't move all that leverage to hub without design consequences.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 02-10-24, 03:39 PM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by Maelochs
I won't read this one, and didn't read much of the other ... this is rich though ... one guy writes a hack piece to stir up debate to get "engagement" on his website to justify his paycheck ... and this vampire latches on to the other guy's article and tries to parasitically suck the same posters into extending their "engagement."

I have many much better ways to waste what little life I have left.
There's a certain irony in taking time to post this.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 02-10-24, 04:04 PM
tomato coupe

If you add mounting flanges to your fork without otherwise stiffening it, you won't have a fork for very long. All disc road forks are much more rigid than the forks they replaced, and even understanding that need, many road and CX disc forks had failures.
Citing product recalls from 7-10 years ago for forks that used post mounts doesn’t make a very compelling argument.

Last edited by tomato coupe; 02-10-24 at 05:52 PM.
Old 02-10-24, 04:13 PM
wheelreason

Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 373 Posts
There's a certain irony in taking time to post this.
I was thinking the same thing, mission accomplished by both authors...
Likes For wheelreason:
Old 02-10-24, 05:43 PM
Mtracer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 194 Posts
I think this quote has some merit

"Mr. Weiss’s point that “a carbon bike is thrillingly cutting edge until it’s about two or three seasons old, at which point it becomes yesterday’s hunk of plastic and nobody wants it, including you,” is truer now than for any material in the past."

One of the things that attracts buyers to carbon frames is the more sculpted forms of the frame. These are usually claimed to have more aero properties and, if nothing else, do have unique shapes as compared to tube frames made from steel. Point being, the very thing that attracts many buyers to carbon frames, is what makes the latest frames designs more appealing than older designs. So, in fact we may lose our love for the older carbon frame, because it is, in effect, out of fashion.

I have two bikes with carbon frames, and my main one being a Trek Domane with a carbon frame. I absolutely love the bike. I really like the look of the frame, though there's nothing particularity radical in the shapes. But I accept the fact that in say 5 years, I may look at that frame as being out of date compared to whatever style frames are being made at that time.

It's of course silly to hold this against carbon as a material. It's this very flexibility of carbon that allows for the more complex shapes. This complexity allows for a wider range of designs. And then ultimately the wider range of designs opens the door to designs coming in and out of fashion.
Likes For Mtracer:
Old 02-10-24, 05:51 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by Mtracer
I think this quote has some merit

"Mr. Weiss’s point that “a carbon bike is thrillingly cutting edge until it’s about two or three seasons old, at which point it becomes yesterday’s hunk of plastic and nobody wants it, including you,” is truer now than for any material in the past."
It has no more merit than

"A steel/aluminum/titanium bike is thrillingly cutting edge until it's about two or three seasons old, at which point it becomes yesterday’s hunk of metal and nobody wants it, including you."
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 02-10-24, 06:31 PM
Garthr

Bikes: Franklin Frames Custom, Rivendell Bombadil

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 127 Posts
"Don't Lose Sight"

Of what's important, what's real.

for that (de-bait-ing) sh ! tee ain't ever gonna change .....

So smile ..... just because "You exist"

Old 02-10-24, 08:46 PM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Citing product recalls from 7-10 years ago for forks that used post mounts doesn’t make a very compelling argument.
Only if you believe that rim brake forks tended to break their left legs prior to the introduction of disc brakes.

If not, then it is a pretty clear example of how disc brakes stress forks differently than rim brake forks did.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 02-10-24, 09:16 PM
tomato coupe

Only if you believe that rim brake forks tended to break their left legs prior to the introduction of disc brakes.

If not, then it is a pretty clear example of how disc brakes stress forks differently than rim brake forks did.
No one claims that disc brake forks aren't stressed differently than rim brake forks. But, your attempt to impugn modern disc brakes by citing a few examples of early fork failures is misguided. Those forks likely failed because the manufacturers simply added post mounts to existing forks, instead of properly engineering them.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 02-10-24, 09:19 PM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 1,286 Times in 710 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
steel is real.
Yes, but Carbon Gives Me A Hardon
Likes For Bob Ross:
Old 02-10-24, 09:26 PM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
No one claims that disc brake forks aren't stressed differently than rim brake forks. But, your attempt to impugn modern disc brakes by citing a few examples of early fork failures is misguided. Those forks likely failed because the manufacturers simply added post mounts to existing forks, instead of properly engineering them.
And what do you think "properly engineering" a flexible arm to handle increased stress might be?

I've talked to these companies - it isn't a secret that disc forks are stiffer to handle the stresses. Forks aren't complicated.

And stating a fact isn't "impugning" anything. If I say a 23mm tires has lower rolling resistance, it isn't impugning the tire to point out it is slower on rough roads. That's just physics.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 02-10-24, 09:54 PM
tomato coupe

And what do you think "properly engineering" a flexible arm to handle increased stress might be?

I've talked to these companies - it isn't a secret that disc forks are stiffer to handle the stresses. Forks aren't complicated.

And stating a fact isn't "impugning" anything. If I say a 23mm tires has lower rolling resistance, it isn't impugning the tire to point out it is slower on rough roads. That's just physics.
Complaining about stiff forks is one of the talking points of people that dislike disc brakes. If that was not what you were implying, I apologize.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.