Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

One of those "what a jerk" mornings :(

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

One of those "what a jerk" mornings :(

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-22, 08:05 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Originally Posted by stephr1
OK. A lot of responses here so let me clarify this a bit.

1. I stated it was overcast, not foggy. I could see ahead and behind at least 200+ yards so clarity was good. So there was no reason to have my headlights on. Apparently the cyclist didn't see a need to either because I saw no flashing lights on his bike, neither front nor back. That to me is a dumb and dangerous move on his part. Despite that, I knew he was there and tried to deal with his presence in as safe a manner as possible under the circumstances. It would have been easy to accelerate and give him wide birth as I sped past him. However, I chose to respect his space and I had hoped he would have respected mine, as well, which he did not.
2. I could also see that the bike lane was clear of debris and he had no reason to be in the middle of the road other than by choice.
3. As I got within a 100 ft. of him, that was the point he moved back into the road ahead of me. I slowed down and hit my horn to remind him I was still there and he kindly (or so I thought that would be his reaction) moved back into his lane and remained there.
4. Once he did that, I passed by under the speed limit (30 MPH) just in case he decided to disrespect my space again.

I ride, as well, and I really dislike it when a car is going over the speed limit, has the room to move towards the middle of the road to give me space and still gets close enough to me in the bike lane that I could clip the side mirror with my elbow.

So, I like all the assumptions people have made here but what gets me is how fast you jumped on my case for respecting the presence of the cyclist and assume I was completely in the wrong, like cyclists don't exhibit dumb and dangerous behavior, because it does happen. And, like others have posted here, cyclists are not immune from making bad choices. This is why drivers get pissed off and take out the next cyclist they encounter. I practice the utmost respect when I'm out riding because I know the potentially unfortunate circumstances if I don't.

So, from my point of view, I did nothing wrong (even the honking) and did everything i could to respect the cyclist's space and remind him I was there. The fact that he wanted to put the blame on me for his inappropriate manner of riding is unacceptable. The next person to come along may not be as respectful and understanding as I am and he could end paying the price for his arrogance. That's on him, not me.
As far as I can tell, the rider was just embarrassed at being called out for doing something wrong and wanted something to throw back at you to level the playing field. That being said, I still avoid honking at cyclists unless absolutely necessary to notify them of an immediate danger they are not aware of. This is simply because a honk can startle them and make them involuntarily swerve and/or lose control. In this case, you may not have seen some debris or something the rider was avoiding (probably not, but you never know).
Old 10-09-22, 08:11 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,961 Times in 944 Posts
I managed to hold my composure when a well meaning motorist gave me three quick beeps then passed me this morning on a canyon road.
I refrained from flipping him the bird, yelling "Adam Henry!" at the top of my lungs or launching a snot rocket as he passed.
I did score half a bottle of generic vodka in the local dumpster so I drowned my rage in free abandoned libations.

Lord help us as a fallen culture of putzes. See, I got one past the censors.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 10-09-22, 08:13 PM
stephr1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
As far as I can tell, the rider was just embarrassed at being called out for doing something wrong and wanted something to throw back at you to level the playing field. That being said, I still avoid honking at cyclists unless absolutely necessary to notify them of an immediate danger they are not aware of. This is simply because a honk can startle them and make them involuntarily swerve and/or lose control. In this case, you may not have seen some debris or something the rider was avoiding (probably not, but you never know).
I get that and your point is well taken. However, in this particular case, this cyclist was doing things that were dangerous for his well-being. Were I not the person I am, I might have said "F*ck it!" and given him little, to no, consideration. Most of the riders I encounter are very much well-aware of traffic coming towards them and have always been good about moving over back into the lane. And I am always cautious as I pass by in my car. It's a simple case of mutual respect. I respect vehicles when I'm out riding and cyclists when I am driving. This guy was incredibly disrespectful, imho
Old 10-09-22, 08:19 PM
stephr1

Originally Posted by BobsPoprad
In all seriousness, I don't honk prior to, or while passing a cyclist while driving. Don't want to scare the hell out of someone. But usually I just slow down and drive carefully.
I did not wait until I was up and behind him. I was prob'ly a good 25-30 ft. back so it shouldn't have been loud enough to startle him but enough that he had to hear me. If he didn't then he was not paying very good attention to his surroundings. Besides, I saw him look back my direction a couple of times so he had to know I was there. If he didn't, see my previous sentence.
Likes For stephr1:
Old 10-09-22, 08:21 PM
stephr1

Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
I managed to hold my composure when a well meaning motorist gave me three quick beeps then passed me this morning on a canyon road.
I refrained from flipping him the bird, yelling "Adam Henry!" at the top of my lungs or launching a snot rocket as he passed.
I did score half a bottle of generic vodka in the local dumpster so I drowned my rage in free abandoned libations.

Lord help us as a fallen culture of putzes. See, I got one past the censors.
You prob'ly could have also used "schmuck" or "schwanz" or "petzle" (or is that "petzl"?
Old 10-09-22, 08:26 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
No need to honk at a cyclist I always hate that and in the past would respond in kind with some choice words or one of my fingers no particular one just anything say in the middle. These days I don't because I am trying to be a slightly less aggressive cyclist in that regard as I don't think it helps me (however not judging anyone else). I sometimes don't ride in bike lanes because they can have all manner of issues.

There is one I sometimes take that is partial and short and right now it is full of fallen nuts or something with a relatively hard round shell so it is like a mini skee ball in the lane and is not fun to ride into plus recently had two cyclists that were riding the opposite way in this clearly marked bike lane and because it is a new one and there are houses and such it has plenty of opportunities for cars to get into. However I didn't need to mention in a thread that incident as annoying as it was it was over quickly and I wasn't harmed and they can go fornicate with themselves (which they may have been on their way to do and that is great, fornication is a lovely thing)

Also sometimes I am going at a rather fast clip and a skinny bike lane gives me less room to ride safely and comfortably at higher speeds.

Also beard color or perceived age doesn't matter either who cares they could be 10 years old or 90 years old or somewhere outside or in-between and there is still no reason to honk at a cyclist to let them know you are coming for them ready to speed past them. Just pass them, the only reason I would honk would be out of anger or maybe if I dropped something which has happened but usually it is because someone is angry at me.

People get so worked up about a few seconds delay while driving yet they then come here to complain about it for minutes or more. Waste your time if you want that is what we are all doing but don't waste that time to whine about having to take some extra time to go around a cyclist (that you felt the need to honk at for some reason) on a cycling forum. Surely you could have spent that time asking about the best chain lube or why certain pedals are better or worse?

Also assume makes an ass out of u and me.

Speaking of wagons, maybe this thread makes sense as Wagon Master General Runciman said "you have to let the effusions out, Sharpe" and this feels like a giant fart. Also speaking of wasting time you should all watch the Sharpe's series it is excellent if you like Napoleonic era war and love dramas focused around a soldier who saves Wellingtons life and rises up from the ranks. It comes from a series of books by Bernard Cromwell and stars Sean Bean as the titular character and is really well done. I think you can find them on the yootubes but I happen to be lucky enough to have the box set.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 10-09-22, 08:29 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26423 Post(s)
Liked 10,380 Times in 7,208 Posts

1. I stated it was overcast, not foggy. I could see ahead and behind at least 200+ yards so clarity was good. So there was no reason to have my headlights on. Apparently the cyclist didn't see a need to either because I saw no flashing lights on his bike, neither front nor back. That to me is a dumb and dangerous move on his part. Despite that, I knew he was there and tried to deal with his presence in as safe a manner as possible under the circumstances. It would have been easy to accelerate and give him wide birth as I sped past him. However, I chose to respect his space and I had hoped he would have respected mine, as well, which he did not.
2. I could also see that the bike lane was clear of debris and he had no reason to be in the middle of the road other than by choice.
3. As I got within a 100 ft. of him, that was the point he moved back into the road ahead of me. I slowed down and hit my horn to remind him I was still there and he kindly (or so I thought that would be his reaction) moved back into his lane and remained there.
4. Once he did that, I passed by under the speed limit (30 MPH) just in case he decided to disrespect my space again.
...Lawsy me, but you really need to brush up on the vehicle code for bike riding in California, amigo. There is no way on God's green earth that you, in your car, can see the same junk in the bike lane, that I can see from my perch on my bicycle. Broken glass is a favorite one here, and the bike lanes rarely get swept. Not sure how often or how far you ride a bicycle, but even someone who just goes back and forth to the grocery store ought to know this much.

People are going to spend the rest of this thread teeing off on you. At first, I did not want to join them. Now it just feels right.

Short version: the roadway is not "your space", because you are driving a car in it. If there is something in the bike lane that I deem a hazard, (and there often is), I don't need youir ass second guessing my decision to take the lane. And I really don't need you rationalizing that you did it for my own good.
Old 10-09-22, 08:35 PM
stephr1

Originally Posted by veganbikes
No need to honk at a cyclist I always hate that and in the past would respond in kind with some choice words or one of my fingers no particular one just anything say in the middle. These days I don't because I am trying to be a slightly less aggressive cyclist in that regard as I don't think it helps me (however not judging anyone else). I sometimes don't ride in bike lanes because they can have all manner of issues.

There is one I sometimes take that is partial and short and right now it is full of fallen nuts or something with a relatively hard round shell so it is like a mini skee ball in the lane and is not fun to ride into plus recently had two cyclists that were riding the opposite way in this clearly marked bike lane and because it is a new one and there are houses and such it has plenty of opportunities for cars to get into. However I didn't need to mention in a thread that incident as annoying as it was it was over quickly and I wasn't harmed and they can go fornicate with themselves (which they may have been on their way to do and that is great, fornication is a lovely thing)

Also sometimes I am going at a rather fast clip and a skinny bike lane gives me less room to ride safely and comfortably at higher speeds.

Also beard color or perceived age doesn't matter either who cares they could be 10 years old or 90 years old or somewhere outside or in-between and there is still no reason to honk at a cyclist to let them know you are coming for them ready to speed past them. Just pass them, the only reason I would honk would be out of anger or maybe if I dropped something which has happened but usually it is because someone is angry at me.

People get so worked up about a few seconds delay while driving yet they then come here to complain about it for minutes or more. Waste your time if you want that is what we are all doing but don't waste that time to whine about having to take some extra time to go around a cyclist (that you felt the need to honk at for some reason) on a cycling forum. Surely you could have spent that time asking about the best chain lube or why certain pedals are better or worse?

Also assume makes an ass out of u and me.

Speaking of wagons, maybe this thread makes sense as Wagon Master General Runciman said "you have to let the effusions out, Sharpe" and this feels like a giant fart. Also speaking of wasting time you should all watch the Sharpe's series it is excellent if you like Napoleonic era war and love dramas focused around a soldier who saves Wellingtons life and rises up from the ranks. It comes from a series of books by Bernard Cromwell and stars Sean Bean as the titular character and is really well done. I think you can find them on the yootubes but I happen to be lucky enough to have the box set.
Impatience wasn't my issue. It was the fact that this cyclist gave all signs he knew (or should have known) I was there. Like I said, I was respectful and patient to make sure he was over and out of the way and then passed slowly, just in case. I did all I could to make sure the cyclist was safe. Maybe I resent the fact (maybe more disappointed) that he refused to see it that way and decided to blame me for his bad choices in how he rode.
Old 10-09-22, 08:41 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,974 Times in 1,919 Posts
folks will do what they do.
If I hear a honk, my initial thought isn't positive.
Old 10-09-22, 08:42 PM
stephr1

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...Lawsy me, but you really need to brush up on the vehicle code for bike riding in California, amigo. There is no way on God's green earth that you, in your car, can see the same junk in the bike lane, that I can see from my perch on my bicycle. Broken glass is a favorite one here, and the bike lanes rarely get swept. Not sure how often or how far you ride a bicycle, but even someone who just goes back and forth to the grocery store ought to know this much.

People are going to spend the rest of this thread teeing off on you. At first, I did not want to join them. Now it just feels right.

Short version: the roadway is not "your space", because you are driving a car in it. If there is something in the bike lane that I deem a hazard, (and there often is), I don't need youir ass second guessing my decision to take the lane. And I really don't need you rationalizing that you did it for my own good.
And I don't need a cyclist suddenly pulling out in front of me because he's riding too fast to slow down if he sees an obstacle in the road. Sorry, but this goes both ways. And if I thought I owned the road (which I know I don't) I never would have been respectful to give him the space and time to move back over. I'm not second-guessing anyone's decision. My expectation is that both riders and drivers understand the implications of bad choices and rash decisions while riding or driving and to not make those decisions.
Old 10-09-22, 08:52 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,974 Times in 1,919 Posts
Impatience wasn't my issue. Like I said, I was respectful and patient to make sure he was over and out of the way and then passed slowly, just in case. I did all I could to make sure the cyclist was safe.
Unless posted, you treat that situation no different than a car, motorcycle, semi, moped; You wait for a clearing of traffic coming from the other direction, & once safe, you use the opposing traffic lane to safely pass the person in front of you. By doing so, you eliminate the confrontational honk, exercise the use of light alerting, & reduce the wagon response.
Old 10-09-22, 08:54 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6969 Post(s)
Liked 10,966 Times in 4,691 Posts
Yep. Love to instigate controversy but am surprised at how fast the wagons got circled
You've instigated something, but it's not controversy.

Hope everyone is doing well. Haven't been here in a while but this morning motivated me to check in, kind of.
Feel free to take another long break from the forum.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 10-09-22, 08:58 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
Impatience wasn't my issue. It was the fact that this cyclist gave all signs he knew (or should have known) I was there. Like I said, I was respectful and patient to make sure he was over and out of the way and then passed slowly, just in case. I did all I could to make sure the cyclist was safe. Maybe I resent the fact (maybe more disappointed) that he refused to see it that way and decided to blame me for his bad choices in how he rode.
I don't see a honk as respect, like I said it is beyond rare to get a honk out of respect it is usually out of anger even if a short toot or a long hold.

"his bad choices in how he rode" HAHAHAHAHA seriously he could have been avoiding something you didn't see from your car which can be obstructed view as you have a big old vehicle body around you that isn't clear and some smaller glass to see out of and plenty to distract you. He didn't need to see it your way as the bigger vehicle honking at him and deciding because you are in the bigger vehicle you should decide where someone else should ride.

If he was swerving and going into the opposite side of traffic and really truly being as dangerous as a small vehicle like a bike can be then OK. However from your account it just seemed like he was in YOUR way and you didn't care for that and decided you need to let him know and you also knew he shouldn't ride where he was because you had already made the internal determination for him that the bike lane was wholly perfect and safe. Even if you in your own head thought you were noble you honked at a cyclist which in most cases is not a positive thing. You then came to a cycling forum and complained about it.

A rational also cyclist would have said internally or maybe out loud to themselves "do I want to be honked at? NO your right I should just pass them and maybe wave and just go about my day and not worry why they were where they are as they probably had a reason for it good or bad it really didn't effect you that much beyond a few seconds to maybe at max a minute which people spend many more of on this forum which is not a complaint as we all enjoy it to some degree but it is a time waste like many other things we do in life. How many candies has the world crushed or birds angered or n00bs pwned? I know a bunch of pennies can add up over time but who cares enjoy your life, ride a bike more and don't worry so much about another cyclist unless they need you to and please don't honk at them. Honks are angry even if they aren't because nobodies first reaction to a honk is ever really positive when someones comes up from behind.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 10-09-22, 09:01 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26423 Post(s)
Liked 10,380 Times in 7,208 Posts
And I don't need a cyclist suddenly pulling out in front of me because he's riding too fast to slow down if he sees an obstacle in the road. ...
... are you actually licensed to drive in California, or is that part of your trolling persona ?
Old 10-09-22, 09:28 PM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 1,156 Times in 494 Posts
Old 10-10-22, 12:11 AM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,065 Times in 1,081 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
folks will do what they do.
If I hear a honk, my initial thought isn't positive.
Agreed.

A honk from a car behind is unfriendly. Always. It's not "I'm here", it's "I'm here and I'm in a car. Get out of the way." That's not friendly, it's an implied threat. Essentially saying, "if you don't do what I think you should do, I might kill you." When people are threatened with violence, they don't always respond with timidity.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 10-10-22, 03:50 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18419 Post(s)
Liked 15,560 Times in 7,332 Posts
Imagine getting enjoyment out of starting this thread.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 10-10-22, 05:17 AM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 637 Post(s)
Liked 1,287 Times in 610 Posts
If someone behind me gives me a toot on the horn I politely wave to acknowledge their presence. If it's an "aggressive" honk..... when they get beside me I respond with my AirZound. 😎

Last edited by Murray Missile; 10-10-22 at 05:24 AM.
Old 10-10-22, 05:21 AM
twonky

Bikes: '85 mongoose ATB, Mongoose IBOC Pro Sx, Mongoose pro Titanium road bike..Paramount MT.Bike, series 70.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
your point ? again, bashing a cyclist in a bike forum...I dunno ....sheesh
Old 10-10-22, 05:59 AM
Shadco 
Resident PIA

Bikes: Gunnar Roadie, Look 765 Optimum, Spesh Aethos

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 356 Times in 186 Posts
Hope everyone is doing well. Haven't been here in a while but this morning motivated me to check in, kind of.

I was in my car heading over to the grocery store this morning. I was on one of those streets that wasn't a main street but wasn't really residential. It does get a bit of traffic at times during the day but this morning was fairly quiet.

It was about 7:30AM and, while the sun was up, it was still a little dusky because of the overcast (SF Bay Area in the fall). Some cars had their headlights on, others did not. Some of the street lights were on, others not. I did not have my lights on because it was light enough to see things just fine. I'm driving along said street which is single lane on each side with matching bike lanes. I look ahead and see a guy on a road bike going my direction and he seems to be more in the road than the bike lane. As I closed in on him I beeped (not lay on the horn for 10 secs.) to let him know I was coming so he would make sure to stay in the bike lane (there were no left turns coming up so he had no reason to be in the car lane).

He moved back into the bike lane (he had started to drift back into the main road, so I slowed down and tried not to crowd him). As I went by him, rather than give me a "thanks" wave for letting him know, he yelled at me: "Lights!". I looked at the guy and he was a bit older (because he had a fairly gray beard). I thought "What an a** hole." and drove on. As an after thought, I should have yelled back at him "Stay in the bike lane!" but it was too late.

So, that was my Sunday "encounter-a-jerk" morning and I went on to the store.

It bothered me at the time but the rest of my day has been fine. Sighhhhh......
Calling oneself out an a forum is a new one.

I don't know where I am now...
05 Gunnar Roadie Chorus/Record
67'er
Likes For Shadco:
Old 10-10-22, 08:50 AM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 535 Posts
Too many “ jerks” on the road without their lights on, because they can see fine. Especially impressed with the ones driving white cars while it’s snowing, also grey and silver ones in fog or rain.
Tim
Likes For tkamd73:
Old 10-10-22, 09:02 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3952 Post(s)
Liked 7,298 Times in 2,947 Posts
Not all drivers are jerks; some are just letting you know they're back there with a quick toot-toot. Just think of it as a big bicycle bell.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 10-10-22, 09:03 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
When did this site redirect to NextDoor?
Likes For Rolla:
Old 10-10-22, 09:27 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6195 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
You get in front of your car and let me beep the horn. It's not something you'll enjoy or think of as a friendly gesture when you are close up.
Old 10-10-22, 09:37 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Likes For WhyFi:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.