Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Where to go for a week's cycling in January?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-22, 09:18 PM
pstock

Bikes: (shortlist) Cyclops, Marinoni, Mariposa, Air Firday, Pocket Rocket Pro, NWT, SLX Fuso, Claude Pottie (France) x3, Masi Team 3v, Lemond Zurich, Bianchi OS

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts

January is a pretty grim month for cyclists in Canada. .
there is just nowhere to escape to.

But it looks like I might have a week free mid-Jan when I could either drive or jump on a plane and go somewhere to ride.(from Torinto)

Where is reasonably warm in the USA? Minimum say.... 60F and has interesting cycling terrain.
Florida is out (as I don't think the cycling is interesting).
California is an obvious choice
What's Virgina like in January? blue Ridge Parkway sounds interesting.
AZ?
the road surfaces in much of Puerto Rico look awful.

And then where - ideally one spot - could I base myself in any of these places so as to have a variety of 60-mile say rides
Old 12-13-22, 09:45 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1668 Post(s)
Liked 1,821 Times in 1,059 Posts
If your "60 F minimum" is daily high and not daily lows,
and if your "60 F minimum" is based on average highs and not all-time lowest high,

Then fly into Austin and go to:

Fredericksburg, Texas

RideWithGPS more rides than you can shake a pump at:
https://ridewithgps.com/find#search/...%5Bsort_by%5D=
Likes For tcs:
Old 12-13-22, 10:04 PM
soyabean

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 274 Posts
It's really not that hard.

I would go anywhere SOUTH. It won't cost me more than going to other less "south" states.

I've been to California (LA-San Diego), Arizona (Phoenix-Tucson), Florida (South Beach).

I wouldn't even bother bringing down a bike. Just buy one there assembled, then bring it back boxed in pieces. Take my sweet time re-assembling it home.

Old 12-13-22, 11:14 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 490 Posts
Road riding? Texas or Arizona.

Mountain, Hurricane Utah.

Sleep in, the morning chill warms up quickly.
Old 12-14-22, 01:26 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,566 Times in 1,792 Posts
If you do choose California in January, your best bet is the desert. January can be wet in the rest of the state.

Palm Springs, Palm Desert, or Borrego Springs make good base camps.

I know several California cyclists who winter in Borrego Springs. Fly into San Diego and drive there.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 12-14-22, 03:50 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by pstock
January is a pretty grim month for cyclists in Canada. .
there is just nowhere to escape to.
Speak for yourself and HTFU.
Old 12-14-22, 06:37 AM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 248 Posts
If you want temps in the 60s in January, you can rule out the Blue Ridge Parkway. This week, the highest temp. is forecast to be 46°F, and the lowest 11°F.

Heck, my wife and I were cycling the BRP this past August, and temps were mainly in the 50's and lower 60's. - for sure it never made it to 70. The BRP is beautiful, but it is not tropical. You can run into cool, misty, rainy weather any time of year.

I have no personal experience, but a lot of cycling teams do training camps in Arizona during the winter, I believe. My LBS does a camp there, not sure where specifically.
Old 12-14-22, 07:00 AM
pstock

Bikes: (shortlist) Cyclops, Marinoni, Mariposa, Air Firday, Pocket Rocket Pro, NWT, SLX Fuso, Claude Pottie (France) x3, Masi Team 3v, Lemond Zurich, Bianchi OS

I might have got my temp targets wrong. I was trying to speak in F for the American audience while we use Celsius
I'd say 60F daily average would be ideal.

I see that's what it is presently in the Azores at this time of year (55-65)
Old 12-14-22, 07:02 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,545 Times in 7,329 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
It's obvious to everyone but you that he's speaking for himself.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 12-14-22, 07:09 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 409 Posts
We winter just outside Tucson and have friends who come down every winter for a week or more, same can be said for Phoenix and it's suburbs. Unless there is a cold front coming through like this week you will see 60s and Tucson has a lot of variety from the 130 mile cycling path loop around the city to cycling up the Mt Lemmon Hwy, an incredible ride and will rival some of the best climbs anywhere in the country. Starts off at about 2,557 ft surrounded by saguaros and mesquites and climbs as high as 8,198 ft to pines and snow.
Likes For easyupbug:
Old 12-14-22, 08:03 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
As noimagination says, forget the Blue Ridge Parkway in January. Unless you're cross-country skiing. Long stretches are often closed because of snow, ice, and ice-downed trees until March.

Southern Arizona has some nice riding -- surprising to me, I needed antihistamines in February! New Mexico, Albuquerque and south, might also be a good choice.
Old 12-14-22, 08:06 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Likes For Lombard:
Old 12-14-22, 08:10 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
Don't go to the US, go somewhere nice.
Likes For ClydeClydeson:
Old 12-14-22, 08:49 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Originally Posted by ClydeClydeson
How about South America where it will soon be summer?
Likes For Lombard:
Old 12-14-22, 11:23 AM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 112 Posts
+1 for American Southwest. Hill country Texas, too (Austin)
Old 12-14-22, 11:47 AM
pstock

Originally Posted by rosefarts
Road riding? Texas or Arizona.
Mountain, Hurricane Utah.
Sleep in, the morning chill warms up quickly.
Sorry, Yes, I should have been more clear.
Road Riding.
and I would be hauling one of my Bike Fridays. (Don't Leave Home WIthout It.)
Old 12-14-22, 11:54 AM
pstock

Originally Posted by ClydeClydeson
agreed but the US = cheap, fairly convenient, direct, farily short duration flights.
Plus, it's simple. I don't want to sightsee on this trip. I just want to ride.

my Go To destination lately has been the Azores Islands (PT) which also has cheap, convenient. short duration (5h) flights from Toronto, excellent cycling, very little traffic, fabulous food and wine, cheap cost of living, and it has a lovely temperate (never too hot, never too cold) climate.
UT january seems rainy.
though in the Azores I've learned, even when the weather report shows "RAIN" it really only means 15 minutes of rain during the day. the rest of the day can be dry.
Likes For pstock:
Old 12-14-22, 02:08 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
Las Vegas. Nice weather. Lots of bicycle rental shops (all styles of bikes), and they will deliver to your hotel, and suggest good routes. For a fee, you can get a group or personal guide. They’ll drive you to where you want to ride. I did that since I didn’t really know the area, and wanted to make sure I got a memorable ride. Varying terrain in the area. And…plenty to do after the day’s ride.

Edited to add — I spent a year and a half in the Azores (Terceria Isl) when I was in the Navy. Cycling there was great. Winters aren’t too cold, but it can get really windy there in the wintertime. So much so that they suspend the use of high-profile vehicles…SUVs, panel trucks, etc. Not great for cycling.

Dan

Last edited by _ForceD_; 12-14-22 at 02:25 PM.
Old 12-14-22, 02:49 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Originally Posted by pstock
agreed but the US = cheap, fairly convenient, direct, farily short duration flights.
Plus, it's simple. I don't want to sightsee on this trip. I just want to ride.

my Go To destination lately has been the Azores Islands (PT) which also has cheap, convenient. short duration (5h) flights from Toronto, excellent cycling, very little traffic, fabulous food and wine, cheap cost of living, and it has a lovely temperate (never too hot, never too cold) climate.
UT january seems rainy.
though in the Azores I've learned, even when the weather report shows "RAIN" it really only means 15 minutes of rain during the day. the rest of the day can be dry.
Hmmm. This certainly has piqued my interest. I don't like tropical weather, but I could enjoy this during "shelf season" like Dec. or March as in too cold to bike, but not enough snow to xc ski.

Originally Posted by _ForceD_
Winters aren’t too cold, but it can get really windy there in the wintertime. So much so that they suspend the use of high-profile vehicles…SUVs, panel trucks, etc. Not great for cycling.
Then again, maybe not.
Old 12-14-22, 02:56 PM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
Las Vegas. Nice weather. Lots of bicycle rental shops (all styles of bikes), and they will deliver to your hotel, and suggest good routes. For a fee, you can get a group or personal guide. They’ll drive you to where you want to ride. I did that since I didn’t really know the area, and wanted to make sure I got a memorable ride. Varying terrain in the area. And…plenty to do after the day’s ride.
Dan
Great suggestion. The area around LV is beautiful wide open desert and is probably lovely for riding. Also, it might be easy to find cheap flights.
Old 12-14-22, 02:59 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
OK, you have a Bike Friday, so flying is a non issue. Have you thought about Cuba? Lots of Canadians go there and have a great time. Canadians are well regarded there since we have been vacationing there for many years when Americans were not able to go. It is easy to find Cuban cyclists to ride with. Hint: if you have clothing and bike parts you no longer need, take them with you, and donate them, you won't regret it
Old 12-14-22, 03:05 PM
pstock

Originally Posted by Lombard
Hmmm. This certainly has piqued my interest. I don't like tropical weather, but I could enjoy this during "shelf season" like Dec. or March as in too cold to bike, but not enough snow to xc ski.
Then again, maybe not.
these are shots from my solo visit in mid-March 2022. (Main island, Sao Migquel - good variety of routes)
https://photos.app.goo.gl/yqPv8euYDAKUnkK88
temps were 15-18C / 55-65F
and that is about what it is all year long. down a few degrees in the winter, up a few degrees in the summer.
ideal for cycling. Lots of hills, uber scenic, very quiet roads.
There were moments of rain even in March. but it's warm enough that it's not uncomfortable.
there are also apparently direct flights from Boston.
Everyone speaks English.
And there is one bike shop in Ponta Delgada that rents decent looking road bikes. (though I always take my own)
I was back again in October (Pico which is small and fairly limited routes, and Terciera - better routes) and we did seem to hit more rain and damp periods. though again, it was like what they say about the weather in Boston "if you don't like it, wiat 15 minutes and it'll change"

I am looking at it again now as a January option. still warm - 55-65 and the charts show that it should be less rainy than Nov/Dec (which are the wettest months).

I have never faced tough wind during either of my two Azores visits. but then ForceD spent much more time there and so has seen more.

Last edited by pstock; 12-14-22 at 03:10 PM.
Likes For pstock:
Old 12-14-22, 03:17 PM
pstock

Originally Posted by alcjphil
OK, you have a Bike Friday, so flying is a non issue. Have you thought about Cuba? Lots of Canadians go there and have a great time. Canadians are well regarded there since we have been vacationing there for many years when Americans were not able to go. It is easy to find Cuban cyclists to ride with. Hint: if you have clothing and bike parts you no longer need, take them with you, and donate them, you won't regret it
I've cycled while in Cuba (though as cycling was not the focus of the trip I really only managed a few short outings from our resorts. Nice to have almost completely empty roads though.)
My bestitation about Cuba is the lack of tourism infrastructure outside of the big resorts. I am a wimp when I travel - I like a decent meal and a decent bed.
Lynette Chiang wrote about her 2007 three month adventure Bike Fridaying around Cuba.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...st_Man_in_Cuba
great read. but sometimes the food and accomondation options when freestyle travelling sound pretty grim.
Maybe things have improved since 2007 but I don't think so. if anything it sounds like things are worse.
Old 12-14-22, 03:18 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Quoted: 966 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 1,045 Posts
Its just an 18 hour drive from Hogtown (Toronto) to Five Flags (Pensacola) Florida. Average temp in January in upper 60s. Lots of trails...

Last edited by zandoval; 12-14-22 at 03:22 PM.
Old 12-14-22, 03:54 PM
pstock

Dan
good suggestion.
searching around I found this site/group which seems to have some excellenet and well-curated LV rides.

https://ridewithgps.com/organization...ation_gain=800

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.