Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Wife rant

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-23, 10:38 AM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
Wife rant

My beloved better half has been riding with me for years. She is not very fast, and she has no heat (or cold) tolerance--conditions have to be very pleasant, or she won't go. She doesn't like riding in traffic, and won't go up long or steep hills. To her, long is anything over two miles, and steep is anything over 2%. But she's been gradually improving her stamina over the years, and she can go 25 miles or so on flat terrain. I accept the fact she'll never join me on a century ride over mountain passes in 90 degree heat. I'm just glad she's willing to go out and ride with me at all. It's something we really enjoy together. We have some easy MUPs in our area that she loves when the weather is nice, and I love any time spent on a bike.

Here's the trouble. She expects me to look the part. When I hop on my road bike for a 30, 50, or 100 mile ride at 18 MPH, I'm wearing my best bib shorts and tight fitting jersey. I'll have a few packets of Gu in my pocket, and wear my Oakley M2 Frame glasses. These things all make small but noticeable differences in my performance. Sometimes, when I'm joining my wife for a casual Saturday brunch run or whatever, I might decide to ride my 22 pound steel frame fixie. It has 32mm Gatorskins and about the most non-aero seating position possible. I might also choose an even heavier 3-speed city bike. Because I know we're only going 10 or 15 miles, and average speed will be about 12 MPH, I might choose some cargo shorts or joggers and a T-shirt, polo, or even a casual button-down. She gets a little upset and tells me I have to wear some more serious biking attire. Why? Because she's wearing her most performance-oriented clothes, and if someone sees us, she wants them to know we're avid bikers. In casual clothes, I might project the wrong image, and then people won't take us seriously. I've tried to tell her, "You wear whatever works for you. I'm fine with this comfortable outfit for today's ride." But that doesn't go over so well. She pretty much insists I dress up.

Anyone else have to dress the part for the sake of your riding partner's intended image?
Likes For Broctoon:
Old 07-27-23, 10:55 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 700 Times in 436 Posts
Don't have that problem. But then, I've never worn "cycling specific" kit. A decent wicking t-shirt and gym shorts over bike underwear with a chamois are the usual. Guess maybe because I rode nothing but a mtn.bike long before owning a road bike. Sorry, I know better than to offer advice on how someone might deal with their wife--it's not always easy dealing with one's own wife!! EDIT--maybe I should have added that my wife is not one who pays a lot of attention to what people think. And she likes riding--in fact, when we were mtn.biking frequently, she was fearless, and one hell of a rider over rock gardens. Yeah, I'm damn lucky!!

Last edited by freeranger; 07-27-23 at 11:55 AM.
Likes For freeranger:
Old 07-27-23, 10:57 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 6,488 Times in 3,211 Posts
Originally Posted by Broctoon
In casual clothes, I might project the wrong image, and then people won't take us seriously.
What "people"? Are y'all interviewing for a job?
Old 07-27-23, 11:00 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 853 Times in 446 Posts
huh. My wife does not ride, but I'm certain if she did, she'd much rather have me wear the attire you wear when you ride with yours than my usual kit.
Likes For RB1-luvr:
Old 07-27-23, 11:00 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
All I can say is at least she'll ride with you! For at least 15 years my wife has been saying she'll get a bike and go riding. But so far no dice. I've tried to entice her with everything from e-bikes to inexpensive cruisers and even a tandem bike.

She did the same thing when I had a sailboat I kept on the coast. She was always buying clothes for herself that she said would look good on the boat. However in the 10 years I had the boat, she went out with me all of two times.

Last edited by Iride01; 07-27-23 at 11:04 AM.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 07-27-23, 11:02 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 410 Posts
Our conversations have not spread to attire (yet), but lately I've come to some perspective. What I do separately is cycling. What I do with my wife is bike riding. Two distinct activities that both involve two wheels. Speed is different, average wattage is different, everything is different. Solo is a workout objective. Together is a together objective. If I don't keep that straight, I'll eventually need a lawyer.
Likes For blacknbluebikes:
Old 07-27-23, 11:05 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10436 Post(s)
Liked 11,912 Times in 6,100 Posts
You have the opportunity to make her happy with a small gesture, at little cost to yourself. I mean, you have a wife who will ride with you AND who doesn't seem to mind your solo riding. Hell, get a tandem and matching kit, if it would make her happy!

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 07-27-23, 11:07 AM
ericoseveins
I like cats.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 29 Posts
Because I know we're only going 10 or 15 miles, and average speed will be about 12 MPH, I might choose some cargo shorts or joggers and a T-shirt, polo, or even a casual button-down. She gets a little upset and tells me I have to wear some more serious biking attire. Why? Because she's wearing her most performance-oriented clothes, and if someone sees us, she wants them to know we're avid bikers. In casual clothes, I might project the wrong image, and then people won't take us seriously. I've tried to tell her, "You wear whatever works for you. I'm fine with this comfortable outfit for today's ride." But that doesn't go over so well. She pretty much insists I dress up.
This is pretty fascinating. My wife and I don't really enforce any dress codes with each other. The closest behavior we have is spite-wearing clothing that the other has previously commented negatively on, like my Vibram Five Fingers shoes. I think the path of least resistance for you would be wearing Rapha City Shorts or similar casual gear that is nonetheless marketed as cycling-specific and high-performance. I know from experience that the Rapha City Shorts pair very well with Vibram Five Fingers shoes. Over time you might be able to explore your partner's ideas about being an avid biker, and what underlies her conviction about the importance of communicating this via clothing choices.
Old 07-27-23, 11:24 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
I'd wear whatever she wanted if it got my wife to ride with me
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 07-27-23, 11:30 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,961 Times in 944 Posts
So she wants you to be a poseur when with her?
That is rich.
I apologize if this seems rude.
Old 07-27-23, 11:34 AM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
What "people"? Are y'all interviewing for a job?
That's what I said! (Or thought, at least.)

Last edited by Broctoon; 07-27-23 at 11:48 AM.
Likes For Broctoon:
Old 07-27-23, 11:35 AM
storckm
Cyclist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 15 Posts
Not a problem I have, but I generally wear what my wife asks me to, at least more or less.
Likes For storckm:
Old 07-27-23, 11:37 AM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
I'd wear whatever she wanted if it got my wife to ride with me
That's what I've been going with.
Old 07-27-23, 11:40 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
Plan out the route, set the locations for stopping at...
wear the full deal, use the drop bar light bicycle & do your best average MPH when you ride with her.

Old 07-27-23, 11:44 AM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
So she wants you to be a poseur when with her?
That is rich.
I apologize if this seems rude.
Not at all. I see it the same way. But there is no way I'm going to tell her, "Sweetie, you can be a poseur if you like, but I'm going to be authentic. There is no justification for spandex at the intensity we're going to ride today." I try to encourage her and give lots of positive feedback, because that keeps her riding, which is the desired outcome. And frankly, 12 MPH for 10 or 15 miles is a pretty intense ride for her.
Likes For Broctoon:
Old 07-27-23, 11:45 AM
DonkeyShow

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 141 Posts
Had this one lady who would rock full nomex suit nearly everytime she took her gt3 out. Noobs are weird.
Old 07-27-23, 11:51 AM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
I never wore what my mother thought was best for me and never have done this with my wife. I prefer to think for myself. You need to decide if harmony is more important than you choice of clothes. In the overall scheme of things it is a trivial matter.

It reminds me of the very old story of two celibate monks walking down the road and spotting a woman in difficulty getting across a stream. One of the monks carries her across on his back and then returns to his companion who is seething as they continue down the road. He asks the monk what is the matter and the monk says that he had no business carrying the woman across the stream. The monk responds that he put the woman down long ago but that his companion is still carrying the woman.
Old 07-27-23, 12:15 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
Always ride a little behind her, and whenever you pass people, pant and wheeze, so she can tell people "I keep telling him to get serious about cycling and get some decent gear but he won't listen."
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 07-27-23, 12:17 PM
bargainguy

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 191 Posts
So a wife that insists she can't be seen cycling with you without you wearing your special outfit. Not what you want to wear, but what she wants you to wear.

I'm thinking there's a bigger problem here than choice of attire. She is communicating in no uncertain terms that your choice of attire will reflect badly on her, if only by association.

So if you're wearing whatever you like, you are somehow dissing her, and she can't stand the implications inherent behind that idea.

Her easy answer is to get you to comply, because that solves all problems except one - your motivation to go riding with her under this stipulation. That might wane if this keeps up.

How short of a leash are you on otherwise? It sounds pretty short just from this one situation.
Likes For bargainguy:
Old 07-27-23, 12:31 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,098 Times in 3,833 Posts
That's what I've been going with.
That's the safe decision. Happy wife, and all that.

IMO...She's participating in an activity that you're serious about, and when you ride the way you like to ride, you dress in "serious" attire. When she participates, and you wear casual clothes, it gives the appearance that you're dumbing things down to ride with her. I can see why she might not be thrilled about that. While you're correct that the advantages of lycra are diminished at low speeds, there's no disadvantage. If wearing the same clothing you wear when you ride by yourself helps keep her motivated to ride with you, it seems like an easy choice.
Old 07-27-23, 12:36 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4236 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
You have the opportunity to make her happy with a small gesture, at little cost to yourself. I mean, you have a wife who will ride with you AND who doesn't seem to mind your solo riding. Hell, get a tandem and matching kit, if it would make her happy!
This.

Old 07-27-23, 12:39 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 819 Posts
I no longer have one of those. If I did, I would not care what she wanted me to wear, for cycling anyway. I am color blind and often took her hints on mismatching clothes, if we were going out.
Old 07-27-23, 12:40 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Originally Posted by bargainguy
How short of a leash are you on otherwise? It sounds pretty short just from this one situation.

Depends on the situation. In some areas she allows me a lot of freedom. In other things, she's pretty insistent that I/we do things her way.

But marriages are all about give and take. I could dress as I wish and tell her, "Too bad, I'm wearing this whether you like it or not." To that, she might say, "Then you can ride without me." Or she might still go along but not be in a good mood. So what have I gained? Or what is more important--that I dress as I prefer, or I get to ride with my sweetheart?
Likes For Broctoon:
Old 07-27-23, 12:47 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 920 Times in 447 Posts
Well, I wore my teeth to my MIL's memorial service. Without being asked, even.
Likes For Fredo76:
Old 07-27-23, 01:05 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

This is me during a recent century ride:

...and zip lining in Slovenia a few years ago:

Quite often, my preferred biking attire is more similar to the second picture. I've been told I don't look like a serious cyclist unless I'm dressed like the first one. I don't let it make me angry. I just found the situation interesting enough to bring up for discussion.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.