Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

First Time Chain Waxer Calling on Chain Waxing Gurus

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

First Time Chain Waxer Calling on Chain Waxing Gurus

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-21, 08:10 PM
waters60

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 63 Posts
It may be in this thread already but how many are using ultrasonic cleaners for chains and cogs?
Old 09-05-21, 08:45 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 1,742 Times in 1,014 Posts
Originally Posted by waters60
It may be in this thread already but how many are using ultrasonic cleaners for chains and cogs?
I've used them on my chain , but not the cogs, no point in that, they are to simple to clean. However, with the waxing, I just clean them with some hot water and re-wax. easy peasy...

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 09-07-21, 08:26 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Other than the initial lube-strip, cleaning of any kind has been totally unnecessary in my experience using waxed chains.
Old 09-07-21, 05:39 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,471 Times in 1,020 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
Still think your process is too labor intensive with the baking, boiling, and boogers but if it works for you then enjoy the ride.
Originally Posted by kingston
Other than the initial lube-strip, cleaning of any kind has been totally unnecessary in my experience using waxed chains.
You guys are probably right that my cleaning regiment is not necessary from now on. I first waxed this chain only after about 300 initial miles with the Shimano factory grease, so did some extra pre-cleaning this time in case my initial cleaning was not thorough enough.
Old 09-07-21, 07:14 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1138 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
You guys are probably right that my cleaning regiment is not necessary from now on. I first waxed this chain only after about 300 initial miles with the Shimano factory grease, so did some extra pre-cleaning this time in case my initial cleaning was not thorough enough.
hang on a sec...i still clean mine. i use mineral spirits, two baths, first gets the majority of the grime off, second is just a follow up. the spirits are quite dirty which means the chain was quite dirty. i would not dispense with this. but that is the extent to my prep. drop in wax and take the other out for the bike. rinse and repeat.
Old 09-07-21, 10:17 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

hang on a sec...i still clean mine. i use mineral spirits, two baths, first gets the majority of the grime off, second is just a follow up. the spirits are quite dirty which means the chain was quite dirty. i would not dispense with this. but that is the extent to my prep. drop in wax and take the other out for the bike. rinse and repeat.
I thought the odorless mineral spirits (or another petroleum distillate solvent, e.g., naphtha) is only needed for the initial degreasing (i.e., prior to the first waxing) to remove factory grease and/or oil based lubricant? You use OMS to clean before each subsequent wax immersion too? Why? If the chain (and the rest of the drive train) had been thoroughly degreased prior to the initial wax immersion, there should be no more grease to degrease, right?
Old 09-08-21, 03:46 AM
waters60

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 63 Posts
My interest in the ultrasonic cleaner is its ability to do a very thorough job of cleaning parts. In the old days we would use Coleman fuel in a shallow tray to clean chains so this just seems to be an improvement on that. At $ 90,00 at Harbor Freight it won’t break the bank...
Old 09-08-21, 07:28 AM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1138 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
I thought the odorless mineral spirits (or another petroleum distillate solvent, e.g., naphtha) is only needed for the initial degreasing (i.e., prior to the first waxing) to remove factory grease and/or oil based lubricant? You use OMS to clean before each subsequent wax immersion too? Why? If the chain (and the rest of the drive train) had been thoroughly degreased prior to the initial wax immersion, there should be no more grease to degrease, right?
because it is dirty.

i do use it to remove the original lube because that is very sticky and is a dust magnet but i still wash with mineral spirits. the first bath is quite a dirty grey color from dust, road grime, and i presume residual oil from previous lube style. the second bath is much cleaner but even wiping the chain to dry after the second bath shows residual dark mineral spirits on the paper towel.

chain is running nice by the way. i think this time i'm going to measure how many miles it lasts between waxings. just curious really.
Old 09-08-21, 10:01 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

because it is dirty.

i do use it to remove the original lube because that is very sticky and is a dust magnet but i still wash with mineral spirits. the first bath is quite a dirty grey color from dust, road grime, and i presume residual oil from previous lube style. the second bath is much cleaner but even wiping the chain to dry after the second bath shows residual dark mineral spirits on the paper towel.

chain is running nice by the way. i think this time i'm going to measure how many miles it lasts between waxings. just curious really.
Got it. Trying to order more OMS now.
Old 09-08-21, 09:35 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

because it is dirty.

I am getting about 300 miles on mine. I have a 2 chain setup going, wax both initially, then swap them out so I will always have a chain ready to roll. Although, I need to do a better job breaking the wax on the clean chain, I put the fresh chain on Friday, went for a 35 mile ride on Saturday and had a link that was a little sticky and it was hitting the rear mech cage brace a little. was more than annoying for about 20 miles and then seem to loosen up toward the end.

Old 09-09-21, 01:00 AM
DaveReading

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jaxgtr
and it was hitting the rear mech cage brace a little. was more than annoying for about 20 miles and then seem to loosen up toward the end.
Interesting observation.

It's many years since I last used wax on a chain, but I don't recall any need to free up the links before fitting on the bike. A couple of rotations, given that the chain links were exercised in both directions as it passed over the RD jockey wheels, always seemed to do the trick.

What do they make wax out of nowadays?
Old 09-09-21, 05:58 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
My interest in the ultrasonic cleaner is its ability to do a very thorough job of cleaning parts. In the old days we would use Coleman fuel in a shallow tray to clean chains so this just seems to be an improvement on that. At $ 90,00 at Harbor Freight it won’t break the bank...
I bought one of those a few years ago, and it has been useless.
Old 09-09-21, 06:31 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
Never used it / needed it. Hot water should suffice. For deeper cleaning, I soak mine in fuel for a few hours and then in degreaser. It comes out looking like new.
Old 09-09-21, 06:41 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
I am getting about 300 miles on mine. I have a 2 chain setup going, wax both initially, then swap them out so I will always have a chain ready to roll. Although, I need to do a better job breaking the wax on the clean chain, I put the fresh chain on Friday, went for a 35 mile ride on Saturday and had a link that was a little sticky and it was hitting the rear mech cage brace a little. was more than annoying for about 20 miles and then seem to loosen up toward the end.
One of the guys I am following on YT (OzCycle) suggested to use a round object such as a drawer handle to rub the chain against and around it, to get that extra wax off the chain more easily. It might be worth the try!
Old 09-09-21, 03:42 PM
jaxgtr

Originally Posted by eduskator
One of the guys I am following on YT (OzCycle) suggested to use a round object such as a drawer handle to rub the chain against and around it, to get that extra wax off the chain more easily. It might be worth the try!
Yea I saw that. I have a fairly long dowel rod, I need to try and rig something up that will be stable and use that.

Old 09-09-21, 03:45 PM
jaxgtr

Originally Posted by DaveReading
Interesting observation.

It's many years since I last used wax on a chain, but I don't recall any need to free up the links before fitting on the bike. A couple of rotations, given that the chain links were exercised in both directions as it passed over the RD jockey wheels, always seemed to do the trick.

What do they make wax out of nowadays?
Yea this is the first time I had that issue. It was a link next to my quick link. It had a lot of extra wax on the outside, I might not have wiped down the outside enough in that area.

Old 09-09-21, 07:47 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Yea I saw that. I have a fairly long dowel rod, I need to try and rig something up that will be stable and use that.
I set the seat post clamp of my bike stand to a horizonal position, then clamp a wooden rake handle (True Temper 48 in. Tapered Rake Replacement Handle-2026800 - The Home Depot) therein, then run both sides of my waxed chain over it to eject the excess wax. I feel like the wooden surface is easier on the chain and its slight roughness scrapes off more wax.
Likes For SoSmellyAir: