Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Odd bird Eddy Merckx frameset, seeking expert opinions

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Odd bird Eddy Merckx frameset, seeking expert opinions

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-24, 05:43 PM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 908 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 391 Posts
This is all geekily interesting.
Old 05-04-24, 10:47 AM
Thalia949

Bikes: Masi Gran Crit, Bianchi Campione D' Italia 84, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Ibis Ripley, Co Motion Tandem, Merlin Agilis, Ritchey Breakaway, Bianchi Infinito CV, Colnago Master

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 65 Posts
The local group of "experts" will be meeting at the Velo retro ride tomorrow in Pasadena. A suggestion is to bring it along to see what expertise, if any, is available before the ride.

The ride meets at the aquatic center at 10:30am.

Cheers
Warren
Likes For Thalia949:
Old 05-11-24, 12:39 AM
CyclesMakaron

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 402 Times in 260 Posts
Roto products were not used in the Merckx cycling frames
Old 05-11-24, 09:00 AM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr., Libertas mixte

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 973 Times in 465 Posts
Somebody knew what they wanted and paid to get it. Probably a relatively rare example of a truly custom '80s steel frame, actually built to order, unlike the ones rush-built in standard sizes, with machined cutouts, pre-manufactured 'craftmanship', and pantogragh silliness.
Old 05-18-24, 08:53 AM
sthurman 

Bikes: Always changing. "Keepers": 1972 Colnago Super, 1984 De Rosa, 1974 Masi GC

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 25 Posts
It looks similar to the BB on 1980s De Rosa

It looks similar to me to BB that De Rosa used in the era. The white photos are from a frame I owned, blue is another variant of De Rosa I found online. The Merckx example lacks the underside cable guides likely because it needed topside cable guides for the single aero shifter mount.

Old 05-19-24, 05:54 AM
Seanaus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 52 Posts
sthurman ,the second photo is what Merckx were using on the Corsa Extra with under bb cabling at that time. I believe yours is actually this bb shell with the raised lugs ground off, I seem to see a faint witness mark in your photo of the bb shell on yours (see marked up photo). Likely it was done at the Merckx factory when the frame was made. Out of interest, have you a detail photo of the underside of the rear brake bridge?

Last edited by Seanaus; 05-19-24 at 06:02 AM.
Old 05-19-24, 06:37 AM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 1038 Post(s)
Liked 1,240 Times in 655 Posts
Stop over thinking!!!

I've don't recall ever seeing a "modern" investment cast BB shell fail. Back in the mid 70's we got in some Guerciottis with sharp pointed star cutouts in the BBs. A number of them cracked at the points because they were "stress risers". Eventually a new importer started bringing in Guerciottis to the US that had rounded points... Problem solved.

BB shell on my 1985 Eddy Merckx. Same as some posted above. It's a 56 cm Corsa with a Z Date Code.

I have seen a few welded design BB shells crack at seams. Poorly welded??? The welded seam on this BB shell was pretty well done, maybe on some kind of automatic setup. A lot of cheap Italian 1970's bikes had really bad welding but they were pretty thick so that helped.

Can't speak for any cutout BB shells done by weight weenies who got carried away.

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Last edited by verktyg; 05-19-24 at 06:55 AM.
Old 05-19-24, 06:44 AM
sthurman 

Bikes: Always changing. "Keepers": 1972 Colnago Super, 1984 De Rosa, 1974 Masi GC

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Seanaus
sthurman ,the second photo is what Merckx were using on the Corsa Extra with under bb cabling at that time. I believe yours is actually this bb shell with the raised lugs ground off, I seem to see a faint witness mark in your photo of the bb shell on yours (see marked up photo). Likely it was done at the Merckx factory when the frame was made. Out of interest, have you a detail photo of the underside of the rear brake bridge?

I think you're right. Here is another angle of the BB and the underside of brake bridge.
Old 05-19-24, 07:35 PM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 1038 Post(s)
Liked 1,240 Times in 655 Posts
BB Shells - Variations On A Theme

Originally Posted by Seanaus

I don't think that the cast in cable guides were ground off, they were never there. We're looking at 2 different time periods of BB shells.

My early 80's De Rosa has the same IC BB Shell as shown in the top picture in the post above. Ugo et all brazed on sheet metal cable guides.

NOTE, it only has 4 faux machined in reliefs vs. 6 on the De Rosa Professional Sammontana photo posted by sthurman.

Another NOTE, the holes in some of the BB shells were used to attach pressed in, screwed in or riveted plastic or screwed in metal cable guides that came into play when under the BB cable routing became popular... Around the Aero Fantasy Fad era!

Peugeot used these plastic guides in the late 80's. They worked very well.

Campy made several pretty much non-documented versions of these guides.

Steel... I've only seen them on a few Italian bikes.

Plastic... Never seen one... ???

Back in the mid 70's there was a notion that a single hole at the bottom of a BB would allow water to drain out when riding in the rain... something that I quickly disabused myself of (unless of course I got caught in a storm).

Several points: 1. Under the BB cable routing allows a of dirt and gunk to get into the cable runs increasing wear. 2. Most of those setups can drastically increase friction on the cables themselves. Unless well laid out, the cables rub against the BB shells.

verktyg NEVER A SLAVE TO FASHION!!!

Chas. ;-)

Old 05-19-24, 10:37 PM
Seanaus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 52 Posts
Merckx did use the earlier style of bb shell with brazed on straps, but, as you say this is a different, later, time period. You can see in the marked up image vestiges of the cast in grooves that remain after the wings / ribs you see in the picture of my unmodified bb shell are ground off. As a side note, some Merckx frames used the Vitus bb guide for a short period. I believe most of the reason for changing to under bb cabling have been just cost saving. A small cost saving per frame adds up over a year's production. Thanks sthurman for the brake bridge picture, that's the unmodified Silva bridge, some around that era had a lightweight version of that bridge.