Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

1991 Schwinn Crisscross

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-22, 02:34 PM
dcdavys

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
1991 Schwinn Crisscross

Hi y’all, I’m going to look at a Schwinn Crisscross that appears to be a 1991–but the listing says it’s an 18 speed with 26” tires, which is off spec from what I can find online. Not sure if that means original parts have been replaced or the seller just doesn’t know much about bikes—they’re not sure of the frame size, so maybe the latter.

They’re only asking $30, so I guess I’m just looking for input on whether I should pass if it seems to be a total hodgepodge of components. This bike would be used for hauling around a kiddie trailer on bike paths and gravel/hard packed dirt roads, maybe some bike camping down the road. It will be transported in the back of a pickup with camping gear. Appreciate any insights, and sorry I’m too new to post a link to the listing!
Old 02-26-22, 04:05 PM
Clang

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 2,255 Times in 1,311 Posts
If you tell us what location subsection of Craigslist or FB marketplace it's on, we can probably find the link and help. My money's on the seller not knowing what they're talking about. You're lucky they even spelled Schwinn correctly.
Old 02-26-22, 04:11 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,769 Times in 635 Posts
I think the seller got the tire size wrong the Crisscross had 700c tires wheels originally so 26inch wheels tires just would not work on the bike. As for value $30 is a great deal if everything works and the Crisscross would be a good bike for your purposes.
Old 02-26-22, 04:30 PM
dcdavys

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Clang
If you tell us what location subsection of Craigslist or FB marketplace it's on, we can probably find the link and help. My money's on the seller not knowing what they're talking about. You're lucky they even spelled Schwinn correctly.
thank you! It’s on FB marketplace. Bear Creek, NC. The listing is “18 Speed Schwinn” or something similar. Looking at it some more, I think it may actually be a 92
Old 02-26-22, 04:43 PM
dcdavys

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by zukahn1
I think the seller got the tire size wrong the Crisscross had 700c tires wheels originally so 26inch wheels tires just would not work on the bike. As for value $30 is a great deal if everything works and the Crisscross would be a good bike for your purposes.
so I fell into a Schwinn catalog manual black hole and did find that one year the 16” frames had 26” tires (‘95 I think), but the color and decals are off for that year, so we’ll see! Hopefully not a 16” anyway, that would probably be tight
Old 02-26-22, 05:02 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Its $30, don't overthink it and don't worry if it has had some changes. Just go buy it.

My "trick" when considering bikes at really low prices like this, I just look for one or two parts to justify the purchase. Then I buy it. Bought the two Raleigh MTBs last week for a silly low price. One part covered that price so I grabbed it. The one in the background will be donated. I fixed up the one in front to ride.

Last edited by wrk101; 02-26-22 at 05:06 PM.
Likes For wrk101:
Old 02-26-22, 05:10 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,769 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
Its $30, don't overthink it and don't worry if it has had some changes. Just go buy it.

My "trick" when considering bikes at really low prices like this, I just look for one or two parts to justify the purchase. Then I buy it. Bought the two Raleigh MTBs last week for a silly low price. One part covered that price so I grabbed it. The one in the background will be donated. I fixed up the one in front to ride.
I really like nicer Techinium in front it would be a keeper for me also.
Likes For zukahn1:
Old 02-26-22, 05:12 PM
daverup 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 872 Times in 418 Posts
We bought a new small crosscut in 94-95, it has 26in wheels. The larger ones had 700c wheels.
Likes For daverup:
Old 02-26-22, 05:16 PM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
I've never owned one but have seen several in person and they are nice bikes. Very versatile as the name would suggest. I'm with Wrk101, go get it at that price.

So long as the components function, who cares whether they all match on a $30.00 bike? Once you get it, if that bothers you and the bike fits, you can go wild and fit it out to your heart's content.
Likes For TugaDude:
Old 02-26-22, 05:46 PM
dcdavys

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by daverup
We bought a new small crosscut in 94-95, it has 26in wheels. The larger ones had 700c wheels.
Good to know! The seller just told me it was adult sized, but perhaps a smallish adult.

Did you like the crosscut?
Old 02-26-22, 05:51 PM
dcdavys

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
Hah I like your enthusiasm. I am just trying to be circumspect; I don’t have unlimited space and I don’t have an urgent need for this bike, so would be willing to wait for another deal to come around if there are any major concerns with it being some kind of Frankenstein. You’re right though, if it fits and it’s running out, don’t overthink it. Better to ask my husband for forgiveness rather than permission when I tell him I need more space in the garage
Old 02-26-22, 06:40 PM
daverup 

Originally Posted by dcdavys
Good to know! The seller just told me it was adult sized, but perhaps a smallish adult.

Did you like the crosscut?
We have had the crosscuts for many years, They are good solid bikes. Ours have gripshift, which isn't really the best. They have held up fine for us, but we've never treated them roughly.
Most things on these bikes need some refurbishment at this point, but replacement parts are fairly common.
Likes For daverup:
Old 02-26-22, 09:04 PM
Clang

Whoops! I couldn't find the ad for the bike on FB even when I knew what to look for, but that site is strange. I always bookmark ads on FB that I'm interested in because I know that I might never find them again if I plan on using their search functions. I'd recommend breaking the link

example: hxxps://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1130417297709112/?ref=category_feed&referral_code=marketplace_search&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%3A 8421ed5a-8d27-4497-95e2-17bef1c8c26c

to get around no posting URLs when you're new, but you're almost at 10 posts anyways.

I did find this at the same price. It would fit me (5'8"). I'm not so sure about you though! It would fit your usage parameters.

1994 Trek 830 - $30 (Asheville, NC)

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...2-17bef1c8c26c

Old 02-27-22, 10:37 AM
bikemike73 

Bikes: 1973 Schwinn Sports Tourer plus a " few" more :)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
Get that trek NOW !!!!

For $30.00 !!!

I do not even ride MTB. If it was closer...I'd be on my way ...NOW !!!!!!!
Old 02-27-22, 07:04 PM
dcdavys

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Whoops! I couldn't find the ad for the bike on FB even when I knew what to look for, but that site is strange.
It would have helped if I typed the right town, although I couldn’t find the bike you linked to even with the link, so who knows? It was too far away to be viable, but there is an 830 for sale close to me for $160. More than I’d really like to spend, but maybe an option.

anyway, I think I’ve made it to 10 posts, so here’s the actual link (hopefully it works!) https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...9211578828111/
Old 02-27-22, 10:03 PM
Clang

Looks to be in good and original shape, just needs a bath. This bike has seen little use during its life. The ad is 11 weeks old, so either it got sold and they forgot to take it down, or they didn't hear from many interested parties and forgot that they had it listed. Ihope it fits because it's a good deal.

Likes For Clang:
Old 02-28-22, 08:58 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Thats the "beauty" of FB marketplace. Its a great place to find deals! Its really LOUSY for sellers, bikes do not have just one section, they are scattered all over the place. Hard to find them. But this weeks out the competition! Meanwhile, C/L has one easy to find bicycle category (OK, bike can occasionally show up in other areas like Sporting Goods).

FB could so easily fix Marketplace. I'm not sure I want them to, as I pretty much continually find deals there, even on bikes that have been up for sale for months.

My experience with FB marketplace reflects not just my location, but dozens of locations I have traveled through, as far west as Las Vegas. And from Vegas, I saw some great deals in California too.
Old 02-28-22, 12:38 PM
dcdavys

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Looks to be in good and original shape, just needs a bath. This bike has seen little use during its life.
You were spot on with both of these assessments! Amazing you could get that from one grainy photo…I’ve got a lot to learn!

I’m now the proud owner of a new to me, very dusty Crisscross!
Old 02-28-22, 02:33 PM
daverup 

Originally Posted by dcdavys
I’m now the proud owner of a new to me, very dusty Crisscross!
What size were the wheels? The picture looks like they might be 700's.
As long as it fits, no big deal.
Old 02-28-22, 03:33 PM
dcdavys

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by daverup
What size were the wheels? The picture looks like they might be 700's.
As long as it fits, no big deal.
700s! and I do think it is the size Small frame, so maybe it was just 94-95 that the small frames had 26" tires. I'll post a picture or two after I give it a bath.

The frame fits me, but I'm definitely on the upper end of the range at 5'7". I figure for $30 I'll play around with it until I find something better; I can always pass it on to a niece or nephew or my son in a few years....seems like this bike will probably outlive me
Likes For dcdavys: