Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Road Rash + Johnson Johnson First Aid Advanced Cair Pads

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Road Rash + Johnson Johnson First Aid Advanced Cair Pads

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-06, 07:07 AM
TexasGuy
That darn Yankee

Bikes: Mongoose XR-100, Eros Bianchi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am looking for some opinions on using Johnson and Johnson First Aid Advanced Healing pads on some road rash. Have a splotch of road rash on my elbow and a decent patch on my thigh.

I Was wondering if these pads were the right ones to use.
If so, how long should one leave a patch on it on. They say to follow instructions on package but there are few actual instructions on the package, just propaganda.

Has anybody used these before? Any opinions based on experience?

Thanks in advance

P.S. this was typed while standing and without glasses, and after waking up
Old 03-08-06, 07:40 AM
Chongo

Bikes: Russ Denny custom

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
I use them every time I get road rash. They're good because they form a big blister of body fluid over the wound. After the wound heals over, there's nice pink skin underneath and you never have to go through a scabbing process. It's takes 2-3 weeks depending on how bad the wound is. You don't remove them until the wound is healed. another good features are you can shower with them.
Old 03-08-06, 10:21 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
I use Tegaderm for the same purpose. It looks like the Johnson & Johnson product is similar.

You can get Tegaderm is pretty large sheets, able to cover the biggest road rashes.

Old 03-08-06, 05:42 PM
TexasGuy
That darn Yankee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
I use Tegaderm for the same purpose. It looks like the Johnson & Johnson product is similar.

You can get Tegaderm is pretty large sheets, able to cover the biggest road rashes.
Thanks, I'd like to say Ill give them a shot, but hopefully I won't have to. By the way, long time no see.
Old 03-08-06, 05:45 PM
TexasGuy
That darn Yankee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chongo
I use them every time I get road rash. They're good because they form a big blister of body fluid over the wound. After the wound heals over, there's nice pink skin underneath and you never have to go through a scabbing process. It's takes 2-3 weeks depending on how bad the wound is. You don't remove them until the wound is healed. another good features are you can shower with them.
Okay, I was unsure for how long they could be left on. Personally I don't like leaving something over a wound for that long so I wanted to make sure
Old 03-08-06, 05:52 PM
jschen
riding once again

Bikes: '06 Cervelo R3, '05 Specialized Allez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dude, how can you talk about road rash without posting pics or at least telling us what happened? The audience has a right to be entertained.
Old 03-08-06, 06:33 PM
TexasGuy
That darn Yankee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jschen
Dude, how can you talk about road rash without posting pics or at least telling us what happened? The audience has a right to be entertained.
Well, no pics are being posted because its on my thigh, and I aint going to be like slvoid and bare my dimpled ass

The story, on the other hand.
So I'm heading down San Pedro which is fine because in the afternoon on slow days nobody ever uses the right most lane. Well anyways, as I'm approaching the onramp towards Nakoma and 281 these 2 ladies approach the curb at an alarming rate. They do not look to the side to check out. Just staring in front of themselves and walking extremely fast. As they are about to reachthe curb, with no sign of stopping I decide to move to the left in case they're going to do something pretty ****ing stupid.

BIG mistake on my part, I should have just yelled at them. As I move right a Ford pickup had come up behind me to pass me and I collided into his cab door . I attempted to pull away however to no avail. The next thing I knew i was thrown to the ground. I some how managed to catapult the brunt of the blow over the right shifter and onto my left elbow. After I hit the ground I quikcly rolled/pulled me and the bike towards the curb in case of oncoming traffic.

Probably the most ironic part is, the 2 ladies asked me if I was okay, and after I nodded, taking advantage of all the people who had slowed or stopped to see if i was okay, crossed the road
After collecting myself for a bit, the person with whom I collided, came out. He had pulled into the lot. He offered me a ride which I accepted.

I nailed my left elbow pretty badly and had a nice patch on my left thigh. Bent the right shifter/brake badly and ripped the computer in half.

I just got the bike back today all fixed up. They even manged to super glue the computer back together, and I got new bar tape too. Right now I am nursing the 2 wounds, and I guess being thankful that it wasn't worse, much worse.
Old 03-08-06, 06:38 PM
jschen
riding once again

Bikes: '06 Cervelo R3, '05 Specialized Allez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yikes! Glad you're okay.
Old 03-08-06, 08:23 PM
DieselDan

Location: Beaufort, South Carolina, USA and surrounding islands.

Bikes: Cannondale R500, Motobecane Messenger

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I hate to say this, but all the OTC wound care is nothing compared to silvadine ointment. You need an Rx to get it.
Old 03-09-06, 10:14 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Originally Posted by TexasGuy
Okay, I was unsure for how long they could be left on. Personally I don't like leaving something over a wound for that long so I wanted to make sure
The Tegaderm docs say not to leave it on for more than 7 days.

Old 03-09-06, 10:20 AM
TexasGuy
That darn Yankee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
The Tegaderm docs say not to leave it on for more than 7 days.
That sounds a bit better. I'll try to stick to that regiment of cleaning. Couldn't find Tegaderm at wallie's world. Would I need to go to someplace like Tegaderm?
Old 03-09-06, 10:21 AM
TexasGuy
That darn Yankee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DieselDan
I hate to say this, but all the OTC wound care is nothing compared to silvadine ointment. You need an Rx to get it.
Put silvadine ointment over it then use the pads to cover/protect it ? Rx == doctor's prescription?
Old 03-09-06, 10:40 AM
sleepystarz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Plain old neosporin works really well too. Sometimes I get lazy and don't even put anything on roadrash, just let it airdry. Not too good if you mind scars. I can say from previous testing that Neosporin heals the roadrash much faster than nothing at all

Get well soon bud.
Old 03-09-06, 10:53 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Couldn't find Tegaderm at wallie's world. Would I need to go to someplace like Tegaderm?
I get mine at Longs or Walgreens. Lots of online sources, too.

Old 03-09-06, 12:35 PM
rule

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Once the patch comes off, remember to protect that new skin from sun exposure. Otherwise, it will turn into a nice dark red scar. If you are actually going for that look, there's your how-to.

Great doctor's recommendation article from VeloNews: https://www.velonews.com/train/articles/3909.0.html
Old 03-09-06, 07:52 PM
DieselDan

Location: Beaufort, South Carolina, USA and surrounding islands.

Bikes: Cannondale R500, Motobecane Messenger

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rule
Once the patch comes off, remember to protect that new skin from sun exposure. Otherwise, it will turn into a nice dark red scar. If you are actually going for that look, there's your how-to.

Great doctor's recommendation article from VeloNews: https://www.velonews.com/train/articles/3909.0.html
So that is how I got this result:
Attached Images
File Type: gif
right leg gif.GIF (21.3 KB, 36 views)
Old 03-09-06, 09:11 PM
Bontrager

Bikes: Road, MTB, Folding, Commuting bikes...

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Chongo
They're good because they form a big blister of body fluid over the wound. After the wound heals over, there's nice pink skin underneath and you never have to go through a scabbing process. It's takes 2-3 weeks depending on how bad the wound is.
OMG that is crazy. You're just asking for an infection. There's a reason for the clotting cascade.
Old 04-19-06, 11:11 PM
mwbirren
PackerFan

Bikes: Gary Fisher, Trek, Klein

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2 questions for you folks regarding these Tegaderm thingies:
1) I fell Saturday, today is Wednesday; is it too late to use something like tegaderm?
2) do I have to shave the area surrounding the roadrash to ensure adhesion?

Thanks,
MikeB
Old 04-20-06, 12:50 AM
Vinokurtov
Now Racer Ex

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That sounds a bit better. I'll try to stick to that regiment of cleaning. Couldn't find Tegaderm at wallie's world. Would I need to go to someplace like Tegaderm?
The Johnson Advanced are the same basic hydrocollodial bandage as Tega. Same regimine, don't leave on for more than 7 days.

I know, I've got three on right now.

I've talked to one person who developed an infection under this type of bandage, probably because the wound wasn't clean and there was exsisting bacteria in play.

it probably isn't a bad idea to do a couple of days of non stick gauze packed with antibiotic cream before you switch over.

As far as infections under the bandage, they were originally developed for burn care, where infection is a major concern. As long as the wound is clean, infection shouldn't be a concern, the bandage provides an impermeable layer for bacteria and water.

And you don't have to shave the area, but it'll feel better when you're pulling them off.
Old 04-20-06, 09:13 AM
popdelusions
it's your bicycle bells

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This week I'm wearing a stylish mix of the Johnson + Johnson (Compeed) pads and Tegaderm (see the Lehigh Valley Velodrome pix thread in the Track Cycling forum for the reason why). I'd never used Tegaderm before, the EMT on site recommended and applied after a thorough and painful debriding.

The Compeed seems better for well-defined wounds on flexible areas like knees and elbows, since it supplies a bit more padding and seems to have somewhat more staying power, while the large Tegaderm sheets are much better for large patches of road rash. You can shower/wash with either, and they're low profile enough to wear more-or-less comfortably under clothes.

Since Tegaderm is transparent (and Compeed just slightly opaque), it seems easy to manage any possible infection with either, since it would become immediately obvious.

In both cases, they seem to stick better to shaved skin than unshaved, so it might not be a bad idea to zip off hair around the affected areas before applying if it isn't shaved already.
Old 04-20-06, 10:50 AM
Jose R
downtube shifter

Bikes: Custom DeanUSA El Diente CTI, Rich Adams Track, Johnny Coast Fixed, Argon18 Gallium Pro

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Here is a link to a post on FixedGearFever regarding road rash and tegaderm: Road Rash/Tegaderm with before and after pics.

That stuff works pretty good.

It seems the key is to scrub clean the wound area.
Old 04-20-06, 11:39 AM
San Rensho 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by DieselDan
Best stuff around. Its used to treat 3rd degree burns.

I was from the old school, scrub it hard with betadine within 1/2 hour of crash (skin is still numb so it doesn't hurt) then leave it uncovered to let it scab over.

I crashed on my motorcycle and had extensive road rash from the back of my hand up to my elbow. I'd say about a third of my lower arm was road rash. Didn't go to the doctor, just scrubbed it. Fine, no infection, but as it scabbed, it started to hurt like hell and I had very little mobility in my wrist where the scabbing was.

After about a week, I couldn't stand the pain anymore, so I went to the hospital. Nurse Cratchett wanted to scrub me again and I said I was outa there! MD came in and prescribed saline water soaks and a physical therapist pulled off the scabs after the soak (not painful) to get down to bare skin, followed by silver sulfadine cream. What a relief, the cream is so soothing.

After a few treatments, I was fine and you can barely see the scars today.

1980 3Rensho-- 1975 Raleigh Sprite 3spd
1990s Raleigh M20 MTB--2007 Windsor Hour (track)
1988 Ducati 750 F1
Old 04-24-06, 12:34 PM
bigskymacadam
so whatcha' want?

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tegaderm works good, but I found that the oozing was making them slippery and wouldn't stay on very long. I tried BandAid Active Flex. What I like about these is that they stay on and absorbe the moisture while still keeping the wound from drying out. so far so good.

Here's a good article from OBRA on wound care.
Old 04-24-06, 03:11 PM
toshi
Lint Picker

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm using the J&J First Aid Ad. Care pads for rash from a recent crash. The first 24 hours, I'd used gauze and neosporin after a judicious hydrogen peroxide scrub. Since then (last Friday) I've had the J&J stuff on.

Initially, I didn't allow for enough space at the edge of the 2"x3" pads to account for oozing. I shored that up with some gauze sponge. Sunday I changed out the pads and left more space at the edges. You can overlap these pads with no ill effect.

They're a bit pricey ($6.99/4 pads) but they seem to be doing their job, as things were vastly improved after 72 hours.
Old 04-24-06, 03:32 PM
slvoid
2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM

Bikes: 04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Just from experience, get a larger size than what you think you need otherwise it WILL expand and burst with this sick brown fluid...

I would also not use it until you're at a stage where it's not completely liquid and oozy. Otherwise stick with antibiotic cream and regular bandages for the first week or so.

Last edited by slvoid; 04-24-06 at 03:39 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.