Search
Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Zwift Coffee break

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-24, 07:28 PM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 473 Times in 302 Posts
Zwift Coffee break

For some reason, I can't seem to activate the coffee break option when riding Zwift. I can see the icon in Zwift companion, but it's always greyed out or inactive. This occurs when just riding on my own not in any structured ride or even when doing group rides like Tour De Zwift,which I assume is a non-competitive ride so should fall under the category for the coffee stop to apply.

Maybe it's only available at a certain level?
Old 01-16-24, 10:03 PM
ingo

Bikes: Cervelo S3, Ridley Helium, Cannondale Topstone Carbon, Giant Trance

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 24 Posts
https://zwiftinsider.com/coffee-stop/

First 30 minutes? I used one on T d Z stage 1 and have seen lots of others.
Likes For ingo:
Old 01-17-24, 12:16 PM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

I will check again but I'm pretty sure the icon was inactive the entire ride. Finished up Stage 3 yesterday so will check at Stage 4.
Old 01-17-24, 02:03 PM
hayden52

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 22 Posts
I have found that the icon may be greyed out in the companion app, but available on the computer menu screen.
Likes For hayden52:
Old 01-22-24, 03:17 AM
choddo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
I’ve seen it greyed out a lot more than I would expect and can’t really explain it. If you are on a laptop you can hover the mouse over it and it will tell you how long it’s inactive for.
Old 01-22-24, 07:56 AM
gthomson

Good advice, I admit I'm looking at the companion app because it's on the bike and easiest to interact with but will make a point of checking the laptop as well. May laptop is out of reach as I'm riding so would never think to try and control things from there but worth the effort for the coffee break.
Old 01-22-24, 08:12 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts
My Windows desktop has a second bluetooth keyboard on a small table next to my bike. (I have two monitors, so one gets turned at a angle for the trainer sessions.) The wired keyboard and this second keyboard are both active all the time. I use the second keyboard (and move the wireless mouse over too) in Zwift for the 0-9 viewpoint changes, and a few more key functions.
Old 01-22-24, 08:33 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
I watched some videos about zwift racing for reasons I can't articulate. In one of them, people were taking coffee breaks during a race. Was that a glitch?
Old 01-24-24, 06:35 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
I was able to use it the other day during a robo pace ride, but it told me that I could only do that after 30 minutes of riding. It gives you I think 3 minutes off the bike, but I only needed a minute to turn on the fan and get some water. Out of curiosity I tried again later in the ride and it was counting down another 30 minutes. I thought maybe I could still reclaim my 2 minutes even before that but I couldn't. I'll have to check when I'm doing the TdZ ride in the next day or two whether it works the same. My bike is set up in a room that is cold in the house, so I don't turn on the fan immediately but wait until I've warmed up on the bike for about 10 minutes so this doesn't help that much. I instead raced ahead of the group, left myself some good momentum on the flywheel, and turned on the fan. The trainer flywheel was still spinning when I got back on so I was still pretty far ahead.
Old 01-24-24, 06:42 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4955 Post(s)
Liked 8,097 Times in 3,832 Posts
On bot groups, I see it become active after 30 min (as others have noted). Why would you need it if riding solo? If you need to stop for something, just do it and let your avatar sit in one place until you're ready to resume riding.
Old 01-24-24, 06:45 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Originally Posted by zacster
My bike is set up in a room that is cold in the house, so I don't turn on the fan immediately but wait until I've warmed up on the bike for about 10 minutes so this doesn't help that much. I instead raced ahead of the group, left myself some good momentum on the flywheel, and turned on the fan. The trainer flywheel was still spinning when I got back on so I was still pretty far ahead.
My trainer is in my detached garage, and I have a similar situation where I don't always want the fan until I'm warmed up. I recently added a remote-controlled on/off switch. It's great.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WX2NBWR
Old 01-24-24, 10:03 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1138 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
I was able to use it the other day during a robo pace ride, but it told me that I could only do that after 30 minutes of riding. It gives you I think 3 minutes off the bike, but I only needed a minute to turn on the fan and get some water. Out of curiosity I tried again later in the ride and it was counting down another 30 minutes. I thought maybe I could still reclaim my 2 minutes even before that but I couldn't. I'll have to check when I'm doing the TdZ ride in the next day or two whether it works the same. My bike is set up in a room that is cold in the house, so I don't turn on the fan immediately but wait until I've warmed up on the bike for about 10 minutes so this doesn't help that much. I instead raced ahead of the group, left myself some good momentum on the flywheel, and turned on the fan. The trainer flywheel was still spinning when I got back on so I was still pretty far ahead.
you need one of these. i've got one that is about 50 years old and i use it specifically for my fan. was my mom's and she used it for the Christmas tree back in the day.

https://www.amazon.com/Prime-Wire-Ca...2EALw_wcB&th=1
Likes For spelger:
Old 01-25-24, 08:13 AM
gthomson

Ok, continue to ride and can't access the coffee cup. I guess the system is watching my health and has told me I drink enough coffee ha ha. I looked down at my desktop and see noting as well.

I like the idea of a remote for the fan as mine is an industrial fan and even on low is noisy and strong so like others, I start without the fan and then get off to turn it on. Sometimes when you want to chill or recovery ride I wish the fan was smaller. The remote sounds great.

I agree with EricF, if I'm riding solo I'm just going to stop and do what I want and get back on but during the Tour rides the coffee break would be nice.
Likes For gthomson:
Old 01-25-24, 08:28 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Robo pace rides now have the Teleport button on the bottom icon strip. It looks like two map pushpins. Tap it, and it shows a list of all the bot speed groups. Pick one, and you get teleported to it, with the usual 10 second countdown.

I can warm up at an easy pace, then jump to a faster bot group. Or see how long I can hang on to an even faster group -- bot interval rides!
I like that the whole session is all one recording this way.
~~~

Fan: I have an old fleece zip for the start of rides with the fan on. Once I'm warmed up, the fleece is easy to take off and toss aside.
Likes For rm -rf:
Old 01-25-24, 08:47 AM
choddo

Originally Posted by gthomson
Ok, continue to ride and can't access the coffee cup. I guess the system is watching my health and has told me I drink enough coffee ha ha. I looked down at my desktop and see noting as well.

I like the idea of a remote for the fan as mine is an industrial fan and even on low is noisy and strong so like others, I start without the fan and then get off to turn it on. Sometimes when you want to chill or recovery ride I wish the fan was smaller. The remote sounds great.

I agree with EricF, if I'm riding solo I'm just going to stop and do what I want and get back on but during the Tour rides the coffee break would be nice.
Yeah I got a floorstanding "on a pole" fan, almost silent and it has a little remote. So useful and not very expensive.
Likes For choddo:
Old 01-25-24, 08:47 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
I have an old phone controlled outlet that I wanted to use for the fan, but over the years the wifi in my house has changed and the phone app couldn't find the switch. I tried to reprogram it but that required being on the 2.4ghz band, but the new wifi doesn't distinguish between it and the 5ghz band so I couldn't do that either. The router broadcasts both but you can't choose. There are still lots of things I could try to make it work but I haven't gone back to it.
Old 01-25-24, 10:21 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by rm -rf
Robo pace rides now have the Teleport button on the bottom icon strip. It looks like two map pushpins. Tap it, and it shows a list of all the bot speed groups. Pick one, and you get teleported to it, with the usual 10 second countdown.

I can warm up at an easy pace, then jump to a faster bot group. Or see how long I can hang on to an even faster group -- bot interval rides!
I like that the whole session is all one recording this way.
I was not aware of the teleport feature. I'll have to check that out.
Old 01-25-24, 11:06 AM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1138 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
seems zwift has added enough new features i think i'll need to check this all out. been getting harassed by zwift to try them again for 30 days. offer expiring at the end of the month.
Old 01-25-24, 02:45 PM
Black wallnut 

Bikes: Schwinn Broadway, Specialized Secteur Sport(crashed) Spec. Roubaix Sport, Spec. Crux

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 84 Posts
I have not seen the coffee break active on the tour event rides. I have used it on the bot pacer rides a couple times. The teleport feature is actually more useful.

I Have my "pain cave" in my living room with the thermostat set at 68° F. I don't use a fan! I use a towel. I formerly used a box fan. I haven't noticed any difference. Moderate efforts and more I just sweat more.

Last edited by Black wallnut; 01-25-24 at 03:07 PM.
Old 01-25-24, 06:47 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

I have an old phone controlled outlet that I wanted to use for the fan, but over the years the wifi in my house has changed and the phone app couldn't find the switch. I tried to reprogram it but that required being on the 2.4ghz band, but the new wifi doesn't distinguish between it and the 5ghz band so I couldn't do that either. The router broadcasts both but you can't choose. There are still lots of things I could try to make it work but I haven't gone back to it.
My router had my network SSID name automatically on both the 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands. My phone always picked the 2.4 one. So I set up a second name with "5ghz" appended to it, same password. Then set the original name to be 2.4ghz only, and the new one 5ghz only. Now I can pick one or the other. I thought the 5ghz would be better, but it's blocked more by floors and heavy walls in the way of the signal. It's faster when I'm reasonably near the transmitter, and okay throughout the house.
Old 01-25-24, 06:53 PM
choddo

My router had my network SSID name automatically on both the 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands. My phone always picked the 2.4 one. So I set up a second name with "5ghz" appended to it, same password. Then set the original name to be 2.4ghz only, and the new one 5ghz only. Now I can pick one or the other. I thought the 5ghz would be better, but it's blocked more by floors and heavy walls in the way of the signal. It's faster when I'm reasonably near the transmitter, and okay throughout the house.
Yeah 5GHz can carry more data per second thanks to the higher frequency (and wider channels) but the downside of that is more susceptibility to blockers.

My wifi mesh has the same SSID for 2.4 & 5 and not had an issue with any “2.4 only” devices.
Old 01-25-24, 06:54 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Originally Posted by Eric F
I was not aware of the teleport feature. I'll have to check that out.
Teleporting makes some even more strange looking strava ride maps, with straight lines connecting the teleported locations.

Likes For rm -rf:
Old 01-26-24, 11:16 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Teleporting makes some even more strange looking strava ride maps, with straight lines connecting the teleported locations.

That explains some of the maps I've seen in my Strava feed.
Old 01-26-24, 12:19 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
teleporting is nice. Just before they introduced it, I was riding with a robopacer group and they went right and I went left. There was no way I was going to catch them. Now I use it a lot. Start out with a slower group and teleport to a faster group when I warm up. Or teleport to a slower group when I get dropped.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 01-31-24, 09:30 AM
gthomson

All good, I found the coffee cup at 30 minutes, just like someone mentioned above. It doesn't last very long though, as I swear, I looked up at the screen for a minute or so and then it was gone before I could use it. No towel for me on that last ride.