Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Have you cancelled Strava and went back? Or did you find another option?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Have you cancelled Strava and went back? Or did you find another option?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-24, 12:46 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 694 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
No. If they had increased the price $2 per year every year for the past 10 years, you would have paid an additional $110.
I haven't been a member for ten years... so $12

Barry
Old 01-11-24, 12:51 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3956 Post(s)
Liked 7,309 Times in 2,949 Posts
Originally Posted by Barry2
I haven't been a member for ten years... so $12
No, again. If they had been increasing the price $2/yr for the past ten years, you would have paid $78 last year alone, which is an additional $18. Anyone that's had a subscription for more than a year would have been better off with a $20/yr one-time increase now, instead of a $2/yr increase every year for the past 10 years.

Last edited by tomato coupe; 01-11-24 at 12:54 PM.
Old 01-11-24, 12:59 PM
Turnin_Wrenches

Bikes: Basso Diamante SV (2021), Trek Speed Concept SLR7 (2023), Time Alpe D'Huez (2023), Trek Madone SLR7 (2024)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
Pretty typical price change for the startup tech world. At some point in the life cycle of a startup, you transition from "grow as quickly as absolutely possible", to "oh no, now we have to become cash flow positive", often followed by "this business isn't growing fast enough, time to pull the plug".
Pretty typical, yes. It's a move that says "we have no idea how to price our product"... which is unfortunate. Now people are either unsubscribing and/or just moving to a different platform. At its current pace Strava may soon become the "MySpace" of the cycling app world.
Old 01-11-24, 01:05 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

$0

I wouldn't have joined at $78

Let's just call this a draw after you get in a response.

Barry
Old 01-11-24, 01:22 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3956 Post(s)
Liked 7,309 Times in 2,949 Posts
$0
I wouldn't have joined at $78
First you were unhappy at the recent increase from $60/yr to $80/yr. Then you stated you would have preferred that they had increased the price $2 per year over the previous 10 years. But, now you're saying you wouldn't have joined if they had increased the price $2 per year over the past 10 years, because the price would have been too high last year. Is there any price increase structure that would have been acceptable to you?
Old 01-12-24, 08:44 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2976 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 771 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
like whether those $100+ name-brand jerseys are a waste of money,
Yes.

or whether anyone really needs a bike that costs over $2000 (or $3000, or whatever the OP's personal threshold might be)
Need? No. Much better than a department store Mongoose or Schwinn? Hell yes!!

or whether a cycle computer is a waste of money given that you can just attach a phone to your handlebar, or...or...or...
No. Phone battery doesn't last as long as a dedicated cycling computer battery unless your rides are less than 2 hours.

Last edited by prj71; 01-12-24 at 08:48 AM.
Old 01-12-24, 08:49 AM
prj71

My cost so far since 2014 has been $0/year.

Winning!!!
Likes For prj71:
Old 01-12-24, 12:23 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,065 Times in 1,081 Posts
Oh yes we do !!!

Strava ex-subscriber

Barry
The business model of having unpaid users provide data that drives the business has proven to be a cash cow across many industries. It's also failed in many cases, where they couldn't turn the corner into profitability. Seems to me that's the game Strava is in.

I'm sure their business model involves converting unpaid to paid; they'll do that by either reducing unpaid content, increasing paid content, or both. They may also benefit by selling raw data, presumably anonymized. They will also analyze the massive amounts of collected raw data and sell those assessments.

For me, data breaches are so common that I consider any and all data I put out there to be in the public domain. I'm giving Strava where I go, when I go, how my health is, who I ride with, and what kind of equipment I own, I'm effectively putting that data out in the public domain combined with my name and whatever else Strava has gleaned from my online presence. For that, I get some pittance of functionality that's already available from Garmin and RWGPS.

If that whole story angers you to the point of unsubscribing, so be it. My thoughts are more about whether we'll eventually regret giving away so much about ourselves. Time will tell.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 01-12-24, 01:43 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Originally Posted by downtube42
If that whole story angers you to the point of unsubscribing, so be it. My thoughts are more about whether we'll eventually regret giving away so much about ourselves. Time will tell.
I'm well aware that if you're not paying for the product, you are the product.
I don't have any issue with that.
Even as a prior subscriber, I remained part of the product to be sold.
Still no issue.

I just reached a point where (in my opinion) an excessive jump in cost caused me rethink the value of the product.
I found the value to be lacking for MY intended usage.
YMMV.

I strongly believe the only way to influence a company decision is to vote with your wallet.
I've placed my vote and yet still hope Strava's new CEO is able to guide the company to a successful future.
I just wont be part of that success at the current price/value.

All the best

Barry
Old 01-12-24, 02:39 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10970 Post(s)
Liked 7,496 Times in 4,192 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
...and then there are the countless products and services that we pay for AND are required to give a ton of information/permissions to use the product.
So I guess that's a double kick in the pants.
Old 01-12-24, 02:48 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6973 Post(s)
Liked 10,974 Times in 4,694 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
...and then there are the countless products and services that we pay for AND are required to give a ton of information/permissions to use the product.
So I guess that's a double kick in the pants.
What is the info used for? Mostly for targeted marketing to individuals. Which individuals often seem most upset about this? The same rugged individualists who think themselves immune to marketing.

My head spins.
Old 01-12-24, 03:13 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10970 Post(s)
Liked 7,496 Times in 4,192 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
What is the info used for? Mostly for targeted marketing to individuals. Which individuals often seem most upset about this? The same rugged individualists who think themselves immune to marketing.

My head spins.
true.

Privacy and all that surrounds it as a topic has been a consistent point of discussion with our kids for the last 5 years and I am sure it will continue. They are 17 and 13 now and both got phones at 11. Total waste of money at that age, but I digress.
No social media for either until 13, it was/is limited in what they could both use and post, and the conversations never end about potential negatives like scrolling too frequently, projecting ideals vs reality, tracking by companies, and much more.

My wife(lawyer who deals with a lot of child privacy laws and rights for k12 education) actually made my 17yo read a significant portion of the Apple TOS on Christmas when we got her an iPad. It was hilarious in a sickeninly entertaining way.

Anyways, we talk a lot about tracking, targeted advertising, and both the real and perceived negatives for those sort of things.
I showed them how ads on sites vary depending on user and they were like 'well that makes sense' and we likened it to how commercials on TV or radio are also selected to match a targeted audience. It's different, but still similar.

The biggest takeaway I have been making sure they understand is that the well worn claim that 'if you don't pay for the product then you are the product' is often true, but it isn't inherently bad. A lot of tech that costs $0 is still valuable to the user and therefore can still be seen as being the product. It is possible for multiple parties to find value in that free product and it is then a net benefit for all.

Google maps-
- Google gets to track what I search, where I go, and where I shop so they can turn aggregate that with everyone else's data and monetize it while also refining the program for users to use it more.
- Businesses get visibility for customers to see what is in an area.
- Users can better plan routes, see how long trips will take for planning, quickly find business in an area that have what they need, etc.

That's a win for all, as long as all are aware of how the system works and find value in participating.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 01-12-24, 06:42 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,065 Times in 1,081 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
true.

Privacy and all that surrounds it as a topic has been a consistent point of discussion with our kids for the last 5 years and I am sure it will continue. They are 17 and 13 now and both got phones at 11. Total waste of money at that age, but I digress.
No social media for either until 13, it was/is limited in what they could both use and post, and the conversations never end about potential negatives like scrolling too frequently, projecting ideals vs reality, tracking by companies, and much more.

My wife(lawyer who deals with a lot of child privacy laws and rights for k12 education) actually made my 17yo read a significant portion of the Apple TOS on Christmas when we got her an iPad. It was hilarious in a sickeninly entertaining way.

Anyways, we talk a lot about tracking, targeted advertising, and both the real and perceived negatives for those sort of things.
I showed them how ads on sites vary depending on user and they were like 'well that makes sense' and we likened it to how commercials on TV or radio are also selected to match a targeted audience. It's different, but still similar.

The biggest takeaway I have been making sure they understand is that the well worn claim that 'if you don't pay for the product then you are the product' is often true, but it isn't inherently bad. A lot of tech that costs $0 is still valuable to the user and therefore can still be seen as being the product. It is possible for multiple parties to find value in that free product and it is then a net benefit for all.

Google maps-
- Google gets to track what I search, where I go, and where I shop so they can turn aggregate that with everyone else's data and monetize it while also refining the program for users to use it more.
- Businesses get visibility for customers to see what is in an area.
- Users can better plan routes, see how long trips will take for planning, quickly find business in an area that have what they need, etc.

That's a win for all, as long as all are aware of how the system works and find value in participating.
There's nothing new under the sun. Sales people and con men have always sized people up and customized their pitch. The only difference is, rather than looking at the cut of our clothes and shine of our shoes as we walk by, they can look at everything we do online in the pseudo privacy of our homes. Here I am espousing that view in public - providing another piece of data for my public profile.
Old 01-16-24, 09:47 AM
boomer58 

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 17 Posts
Has anyone used the app called Komoot ? I was using Strava but it was stopping in the middle of my rides and not recording the full ride. It was probably something I was doing wrong as I am not very tech savvy (and I really don't care). I really only like to record my rides and nothing else. I just enjoy riding and do not have the ability to keep up with others. I also ride alone and like to set my own pace which is probably much slower than all of you. I'm not even sure of all of the features that Komoot has. I start it when I leave and end it when I get back and it saves my activity. Let me know what you all think of it. By the way, I've been known to bring "Stupid Enough" to a whole new level, boomer.
Old 01-16-24, 06:33 PM
The6_6biker

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
I like Strava for ride logging and keeping in touch with what my friends are doing. The paid features are a bit meh, but I just pay and forget. None of the alternatives really appeal. I have Garmin Connect too but I don’t like the UI and so hardly use it.
I find it funny how often we pay for subscriptions and then forget, one time I had a car wash subscription for 6 months and never went there more than twice!
Old 01-16-24, 08:11 PM
redtires
Extra Medium Member

Bikes: Fezzari Empire; State 6061 Allroad gravel; Scott Spark; Specialized Status 140

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 17 Posts

"...I just reached a point where (in my opinion) an excessive jump in cost caused me rethink the value of the product.
I found the value to be lacking for MY intended usage..."
YMMV.
This...right here. This is a position I think many others really don't get. One cannot assign to another the value of something for which the value can only be found intrinsically (although the interwebs are desperate to do so). I'm also not a paid Strava user because it has no value to me. The position needs no nor has any defense.
Old 01-16-24, 09:20 PM
Thigh Master
No Pain, No Pizza

Bikes: 2015 Tarmac Pro Disc, '99 Burley Duet, '10 Velo Vie Vitesse 300R, '94 Trek 2120, '90 Cannondale SR 600, '79 Ross Super Gran Tour, '76 Raleigh Record

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 23 Posts
Excellent topic. Thank you OP. I have been a Strava member since they began, even a beta tester in Portola Valley back in the old days (unfortunately I lost a lot of great tandem ride data when they transitioned from beta). But the recent price increase for whatever reason no longer felt like a value. I have also been using Garmin Connect simultaneously for years. Yep, one of those guys that has always looked at every activity on both platforms - I realized that I don’t use most of Strava’s paid stuff - but I enjoy following friends. So I will go on the cheap and see if I miss much.
Likes For Thigh Master:
Old 01-18-24, 10:38 AM
prj71

Trust me...You won't miss much using the free version. I also use Garmin Connect (FREE) which uploads all the data to Strava. Whatever metrics Strava gives you, that you have to pay for, can be found in Garmin Connect for FREE. Especially if you have heart rate sensors etc. running during your rides.

Last edited by prj71; 01-18-24 at 10:42 AM.
Old 01-18-24, 11:09 AM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1139 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
unless things have changed the strava app does not connect to sensor anymore. a reason why i no longer use it during rides.
Old 01-18-24, 12:08 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,308 Times in 1,118 Posts
I got another email this morning offering two free months with a subscription. Running as of late has been on the treadmill and I haven’t been able to ride, but I’m not thinking I’m missing anything. But I do remember now that I first started using Strava back when I used a Fitbit Surge for running. It seems like the Strava interface was better than Fitbit’s and after I went through a couple of Garmin watches and started logging rides with a Garmin Edge I never used Garmin Connect as much as I should.

Thank you to everyone for all the suggestions but I’ll be able to waste what I was spending on Strava for a few growler fills instead of finding another platform.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 01-18-24, 02:08 PM
winston63 

Bikes: Specialized Diverge E5 Comp, Specialized AWOL Comp, Scott Solace 10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by boomer58
Has anyone used the app called Komoot ? I was using Strava but it was stopping in the middle of my rides and not recording the full ride. It was probably something I was doing wrong as I am not very tech savvy (and I really don't care). I really only like to record my rides and nothing else. I just enjoy riding and do not have the ability to keep up with others. I also ride alone and like to set my own pace which is probably much slower than all of you. I'm not even sure of all of the features that Komoot has. I start it when I leave and end it when I get back and it saves my activity. Let me know what you all think of it. By the way, I've been known to bring "Stupid Enough" to a whole new level, boomer.
I use Komoot, but it’s targeting a different audience than Strava. It’s a great app for bike touring or route planning, that sort of thing but it doesn’t provide ‘performance’ metrics like Strava. It’s not about leaderboards, comparing with other riders or setting personal records, it’s much more oriented to the adventure or touring crowd. You can see routes others have ridden, but the pace at which they are ridden is very much a secondary concern. Komoot is excellent for route planning, and I use it for that quite a bit. It will work just fine for recording your rides, but if you have a Garmin device you could just use Garmin Connect and not bother with any additional software.

As to the topic in question, I’m someone who quit Strava and didn’t go back. But, I’m not very interested in what Strava provides, I joined only because an annual charity ride I participate in couldn’t hold a mass start during the pandemic and it was how we logged our solo rides instead. Once we went back to in-person I quit Strava as it doesn’t interest me at all.
Old 01-18-24, 02:47 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck M
Thank you to everyone for all the suggestions but I’ll be able to waste what I was spending on Strava for a few growler fills instead of finding another platform.
Well at least you're not buying coffee with your savings!
Likes For pdlamb: