Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Now is the time to prepare for summer riding.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Now is the time to prepare for summer riding.

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-24, 08:14 AM
Cdubs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 15 Posts
I dropped mine in for it's spring tune-up yesterday. Tune-up specials make it so cheap and easy to have a pro look over the bike before riding it hard.
Likes For Cdubs:
Old 02-15-24, 03:59 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Thank you.
Old 02-15-24, 04:11 PM
rydabent
Banned

Gotta pick something to whine about huh???
Old 02-15-24, 04:13 PM
rydabent
Banned

Do you pull your derailer apart and lube the wheels before every ride, or repack your head set.
Old 02-15-24, 04:16 PM
rydabent
Banned

Yes I am in the snow belt, and simply dont ride when it is cold. I hate any kind of long pants on my legs when I ride. Shorts and a T shirt is my kit.
Old 02-17-24, 09:17 AM
cweb99

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 58 Posts
It was 70 degrees in So Cal yesterday. Did a. Nice beach ride
Old 02-17-24, 02:51 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,647 Times in 2,924 Posts
Originally Posted by cweb99
It was 70 degrees in So Cal yesterday. Did a. Nice beach ride
Check back with us in August-Sept

Old 02-17-24, 06:49 PM
cweb99

Originally Posted by rsbob
Check back with us in August-Sept
touché

gonna hate the 100 degree weather gonna have to start my rides 5am lol
Old 02-19-24, 09:10 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,579 Times in 7,337 Posts
Originally Posted by cweb99
touché

gonna hate the 100 degree weather gonna have to start my rides 5am lol
Getting any rain now where you are?
Old 02-19-24, 10:04 AM
cweb99

Raining right now and a few days during the week
Old 02-19-24, 10:27 AM
pppittpeter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Oh, absolutely! February's the month for us snow belt riders to prep our bikes for the summer fun. Gotta grease up all those bearings, make sure everything's well-lubed. I'm talking a full-on check of the entire bike – bolts, nuts, the works. Doing it now gives you the jump to order any parts you might need. No one wants to be stuck walking home in the summer heat, right?
Likes For pppittpeter:
Old 02-19-24, 11:06 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8286 Post(s)
Liked 9,055 Times in 4,481 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Getting any rain now where you are?
It's raining here right now. Might have to skip the Tuesday ride if it doesn't stop.

Here in the land of year-round riding and being retired I seldom have to miss a weekend club ride. I am terrible with bike maintenance and always let things go too far. Been pretty lucky as far as breaking down on a ride, though.

Had a rear wheel grenade 50 miles from home and called a taxi one time. Had an mtb frame break and had to walk a couple miles. And had a freehub split down the middle while climbing a steep grade near home. It would still roll but no drive and I was able to coast most of the way home.

Had pedals snap off 3 times, 2 resulted in low speed crashes. Had to get picked up for those. Everything else I was able to repair roadside or ride the broken part back. At least twice I have broken seat rails. This means standing up for the rest of the ride, maybe just gently touch down. Had 3 seatposts break. One was an American Classic with the one bolt set screw adjusting the tilt. It broke when I was alone in the hills above Santa Barbara. I found a big ball bearing on the side of the road and was able to jam it in there so I could ride into town.

There were a lot more but most of these failures, if not all, would not have been prevented by maintenance.
Likes For big john:
Old 02-19-24, 11:23 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,961 Times in 944 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
It's raining here right now. Might have to skip the Tuesday ride if it doesn't stop.

Here in the land of year-round riding and being retired I seldom have to miss a weekend club ride. I am terrible with bike maintenance and always let things go too far. Been pretty lucky as far as breaking down on a ride, though.

Had a rear wheel grenade 50 miles from home and called a taxi one time. Had an mtb frame break and had to walk a couple miles. And had a freehub split down the middle while climbing a steep grade near home. It would still roll but no drive and I was able to coast most of the way home.

Had pedals snap off 3 times, 2 resulted in low speed crashes. Had to get picked up for those. Everything else I was able to repair roadside or ride the broken part back. At least twice I have broken seat rails. This means standing up for the rest of the ride, maybe just gently touch down. Had 3 seatposts break. One was an American Classic with the one bolt set screw adjusting the tilt. It broke when I was alone in the hills above Santa Barbara. I found a big ball bearing on the side of the road and was able to jam it in there so I could ride into town.

There were a lot more but most of these failures, if not all, would not have been prevented by maintenance.
Sounds like you put on a lot of miles and the stress/fatigue on parts is an unwelcomed outcome?
My only preventable mechanical failure that derailed a ride was a saddle assembly falling off the seat post over a wood bridge into the San Gabriel River below.
Old 02-19-24, 11:34 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8286 Post(s)
Liked 9,055 Times in 4,481 Posts
Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
Sounds like you put on a lot of miles and the stress/fatigue on parts is an unwelcomed outcome?
My only preventable mechanical failure that derailed a ride was a saddle assembly falling off the seat post over a wood bridge into the San Gabriel River below.
I do and it is. I have never had a saddle fall into a river, though. One time a friend and I waded across a thigh-deep river when a road was washed out. I though I might get knocked over and was quite scared. We put our shoes in our pockets and both made it but my friend lost his frame pump.
Old 02-20-24, 10:25 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2976 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 771 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Feb is the month for those of us in the snow belt to get our bikes and trikes ready for the summer riding season. It is time to grease and lube all the bearings, and go over the whole bike and check all bolts and nuts. Doing it this early will give you time to order and get any parts you find bad and put them on. A total going over will keep you from having to walk home this summer. As a life long technician, I have always done this, and I have never had to walk home.
When I put my summer bikes away last fall they were all working just fine. I've never gone over them in the spring. Just grab and go.

I too have never had to walk home.
Likes For prj71:
Old 02-21-24, 01:03 PM
NumbersGuy

Bikes: Fairlight Strael 3.0 Ultegra Di2, Lauf Seigla Rigid SRAM Red XPLR

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 64 Posts
I take care of my bike on a regular basis. If there are parts in need of overhaul in late winter before you start riding in the spring/summer then those parts probably should have been taken care of late summer or fall last year when you were ignoring them...
Old 02-21-24, 03:32 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by prj71
When I put my summer bikes away last fall they were all working just fine. I've never gone over them in the spring. Just grab and go.

I too have never had to walk home.
+1. I did two rides last year. The bike I rode hadn’t been ridden in almost a year. Some air in the tires and a little of the world’s best chain lube and it was good to go.
Old 02-21-24, 03:35 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10440 Post(s)
Liked 11,914 Times in 6,101 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottCommutes
Change your clocks, change your smoke detector batteries. Change your smoke detector batteries, lube your bike.
Nowadays, many clocks and watches change themselves, and smoke detectors now come with internal batteries that have 10 year service lives.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 02-21-24, 04:04 PM
rydabent
Banned

At the other end of the spectrum are the guys I see riding that dont seem to have tube or tool one with them. What happen if they flat???
Old 02-21-24, 04:12 PM
hazetguy 
only here for the "LIKES"

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Quoted: 1643 Post(s)
Liked 2,240 Times in 1,052 Posts
At the other end of the spectrum are the guys I see riding that dont seem to have tube or tool one with them. What happen if they flat???
didn't you already do this bit? https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...nderstand.html
Likes For hazetguy:
Old 02-21-24, 05:26 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

1) Borrow a tube from a stranger who will then become one of "the guys I see riding that dont seem to have tube". We had a discussion of this very thing, the Blanche DuBois-like dependence upon the kindness of strangers, some time back.

2) Call Of Shame. I have a coworker who does this and then takes the bike to the LBS to have them fix the flat. I can't imagine being that subject to the whims of fate, not to mention the whims of Mrs. GeneJockey, who might object to my expecting her to make up for my insufficiencies, at least to a greater extent than she already does.

Old 02-21-24, 05:29 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by hazetguy
"A couple of things I don't understand"

French. Physical Chemistry. How radio works. Why my Greyhound complains bitterly about his food and then wolfs it down.

Old 02-22-24, 11:49 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2976 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 771 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
+1. I did two rides last year. The bike I rode hadn’t been ridden in almost a year. Some air in the tires and a little of the world’s best chain lube and it was good to go.
I ride quite a bit more than that but...

I usually pick away (maintenance) at things here and there over the season as need and spot check a few things. If "now" is the time to prepare to get my bike ready for the summer season, that means I spent a whole season riding it and ignoring it.

I probably last rode my Trek Domane in October 2023. I'll grab it here soon and just start riding it without doing anything other than checking the tire pressure and lubing the chain. If nothing was wrong with the bike in October, nothing is going to be wrong with it now.
Old 02-22-24, 11:57 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by prj71
I ride quite a bit more than that but...
I usually do to. I became gravely ill at the end of 2022. (I was found near dead in my house around 7:00 pm on New Year's Eve.) Yadda. Yadda. Yadda. I didn't walk for over 2 months and didn't get to ride a bike until the fall. Managed two rides totaling 44 miles. Going to be in the 60s next week. Hoping to get back in the saddle again after inflating the tires and lubing the chain.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 02-22-24, 01:51 PM
kinnessa60

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
agreed. I guess I have to prepare my body for summer because I got some good kgs during winter so I guess it is a time to start again riding the bike. Moreover I read recently here that u can brun a good amount of calories riding like 10 miles or more and it s nothing in compare to how much u can loose fats. So check me out in summer guys!

Last edited by kinnessa60; 02-27-24 at 03:11 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.