Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum
Reload this Page >

I hate Rouvy's new OmniMode

Search
Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

I hate Rouvy's new OmniMode

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-23, 09:13 AM
papaworx

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cool I hate Rouvy's new OmniMode

First, let me state emphatically that I love Rouvy. It motivates me at age 85, to not only maintain my fitness level, but even to still raise it a bit further.
But yesterday, as I was pushing my tired bones up the Oberalp Pass in Switzerland, the normally dynamic background image, i.e. live video, suddenly morphed into a still picture, like a postcard, and all the work was done by the Avatars and other, locally generated graphics. At times it was so bad that up to three chases of my own avatar and his two ghostriders crossed the screen, bevore the video started running again. I noticed at the time, by the way, that the number of new concurrent riders rose over 130.
This is part of what the marketing hype touts as "OmniMode, a whole new perspective to the virtual world of cycling".
But there is a different way of looking at it: The total server bandwidth required to provide all the eager simultaneous biking customers with their amazing experience is proportional to the product of numbers-of-concurrent-riders x total-image-resolution x image-refresh-rate. It follows then, that reducing the image refresh rate from video- to postcard-quality constitutes an easy way of cost saving. It is perfectly acceptable to use this policy in an emergency, when sudden server problems occur.The alternative would be, to have sufficient backup capacity - which can add a lot of cost. But the theory of a free market predicts that indoor riders may look for an alternate provider, if OmniMode is starting to expand.ROUVY OmniMode adds a whole new perspective to the virtual world of cycling. Discover new features and an improved 360° range of views.ROUVY OmniMOmnimodeode adds a whole new perspective to the virtual world of cycling. Discover new features and an improved 360° range of views.ROUVYROUVY OmniMode adds a whole new perspective to the virtual world of cycling. Discover new features and an improved 360° range of views. OmniMode adds a whole new perspective to the virtual world of cycling. Discover new features and an improved 360° range of views.
Old 07-27-23, 03:58 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 682 Times in 328 Posts
Looks like OmniMode is a feature on a number of specially processed routes, where you can get an almost 360 degree view of the route.

According to Rouvy's support information, you can switch off automatic camera changes in your settings:

"You can manually turn on/off the AUTO 360° CAMERA in the SETTINGS and control the camera views completely. You can also control your camera angles from the saddle using our ROUVY Companion App."

https://support.rouvy.com/hc/en-us/a...model-by-ROUVY
Old 07-29-23, 03:53 PM
papaworx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are no Omni Options on my Windows 10, despite newest Rouvy update

My Windows 10 display shows no Omni options despite newest rouvy updates installed. I was going to upload a relevant screenshot, but am not allowed to do so, since this is my first thread.
Old 08-01-23, 01:22 PM
nicocyclo

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
OmniMode + Companion app

Originally Posted by tempocyclist
Looks like OmniMode is a feature on a number of specially processed routes, where you can get an almost 360 degree view of the route.

According to Rouvy's support information, you can switch off automatic camera changes in your settings:

"You can manually turn on/off the AUTO 360° CAMERA in the SETTINGS and control the camera views completely. You can also control your camera angles from the saddle using our ROUVY Companion App."

https://support.rouvy.com/hc/en-us/a...model-by-ROUVY
So far, I'm pleased with the OmniMode ROUVY implementation. And, owing to you, I've begun to utilize the companion app, which I must say is fantastic. You may be quite versatile with it and tailor it to your needs. Simply beautiful.
Likes For nicocyclo:
Old 08-01-23, 02:19 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
OP is confusing Omnimode with panoramic view. Both can be disabled in the settings. What some people don't realize is that the ride settings dialog is scrollable: to access the rest of the settings requires scrolling down.
Likes For surak:
Old 03-06-24, 12:00 PM
Kdunce

Bikes: Roubaix/ BMC Roadmachine

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Where are the camera controls located in the companion app?
Old 03-06-24, 02:13 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1138 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
i turned off omni and panaramic mode. it was neat the first time i saw it but i quickly grew tired of it, then it just became annoying. i just didn't find that to be a very useful feature. what i'd like is for them to show my heart rate and power graph during a ride. that, to me, would be more useful.
Likes For spelger:
Old 03-06-24, 04:22 PM
Champlaincycler

Bikes: 2018 Diverge Comp, 2016 Specialized SL4 Comp,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 42 Posts
Not sure why you can't get HR and power, probably a different setup than mine.

I've a Wahoo kickr and use apple tv 4k. Rouvy shows my HR, using a Wahoo tickr strap. Also gives cadence, watts per kilogram and current speed, all on the screen. No power graph. I have the wahoo app on my phone running while using Rouvy, gives pretty detailed graphs on power,cadence and heartrate when ride is over.
Old 03-06-24, 07:17 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1138 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
yes, i see all that data too. but what i would like to see is a history of that data. hence, why i said i would like to see a graph of the data. i just like seeing it. zwift does this and maybe indieVelo, can't actually remember about that one.