Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum
Reload this Page >

More Workforce Reductions at Zwift

Search
Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-24, 11:28 AM
Black wallnut 

Bikes: Schwinn Broadway, Specialized Secteur Sport(crashed) Spec. Roubaix Sport, Spec. Crux

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 84 Posts

Including co-ceo. Hopefully thye are able to continue with good service.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/zwi...rce-reduction/
Old 02-06-24, 01:43 PM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 772 Times in 404 Posts
I wonder if the "investments" they are talking about are the Zwift trainers and one year free membership that's included with them.

They have to be losing money on the trainers - $600 for the trainer, $150 free membership, free shipping... It takes at least a year to see any cash coming in from the new users.

I now have two Zwift trainers and two free accounts in my house. My FIL bought a Zwift trainer and he has a free account.
Old 02-06-24, 02:52 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 682 Times in 328 Posts
I'd say they probably are going negative on the trainers. I wouldn't be surprised to see them get out of the trainer business completely, and open up the Hub/Click single-gear Bluetooth protocol for other trainer manufacturers and training platforms to connect to.
Old 02-06-24, 04:09 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1138 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
started reading the link...speaking of tron bike...don't know what the project is but i recently started another 30 day trial and the tron bike appears to be gone. at least i was unable to choose it. but i still see them being ridden. what's that all about?
Old 02-06-24, 06:48 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4414 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
started reading the link...speaking of tron bike...don't know what the project is but i recently started another 30 day trial and the tron bike appears to be gone. at least i was unable to choose it. but i still see them being ridden. what's that all about?
You have to complete the Everest challenge (or whatever it’s called) to get access to the in-game Tron bike. The Tron bike project they are referring to in the article is probably their abandoned Smart bike trainer.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 02-06-24, 09:31 PM
spelger

i was riding the tron bike for half a year but at some time became a bit bored with it so changed it up. thought i'd go back but no longer there. probably would need to do the challenge again. not happening.
Old 02-07-24, 04:29 AM
PeteHski

i was riding the tron bike for half a year but at some time became a bit bored with it so changed it up. thought i'd go back but no longer there. probably would need to do the challenge again. not happening.
I do have the Tron bike, but I rarely use it. I prefer the more realistic looking bikes. I have the Canyon Aeroad with DT Swiss wheels for mixed roads and the Canyon Ultimate CFR with lightweight Meilenstein wheels (won on the AdZ lottery!) for the big climbs. Marginal gains, lol.
Old 02-07-24, 07:27 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
I think the tron bike is ugly, if I ever manage to earn one I'd have to go to another view so I didn't have to look at it all the time as I'm puttering around in the 1w/kg group ride.

I have wondered if they should augment their route system somehow so that long-time users could earn more route badges. That's probably pretty far down the list of things that would drive more engagement though.
Old 02-07-24, 10:46 AM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), Yess World Cup race BMX, Pure Cruiser race BMX, RSD Mayor v3 Fatbike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 190 Times in 132 Posts
Originally Posted by tempocyclist
I'd say they probably are going negative on the trainers. I wouldn't be surprised to see them get out of the trainer business completely, and open up the Hub/Click single-gear Bluetooth protocol for other trainer manufacturers and training platforms to connect to.
Nice prediction - they just announced the Kickr Core Zwift edition with a Zwift Cog and Click.....
Likes For Viich:
Old 02-07-24, 12:59 PM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 1,593 Times in 739 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
I think the tron bike is ugly
It is! Plus it's got some strange handlebars, Tri or something. Traded it in for regular road bike, made of 1s and 0s.
Old 02-07-24, 09:47 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 682 Times in 328 Posts
Originally Posted by tempocyclist
Originally Posted by Viich
Nice prediction - they just announced the Kickr Core Zwift edition with a Zwift Cog and Click.....

And as predicted, the Zwift Hub has been discontinued.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2024/02/...continued.html

DM me for next week's lottery numbers... 🤪
Old 02-07-24, 11:14 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
They should institute a pay per ride plan.
Old 02-08-24, 12:05 PM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 410 Posts
So, imagine you're sitting on a really successful new business, growing organically; people really like your product. New users are loading like crazy. Some cat in Amsterdam with a website is getting 100,000 hits a week and started selling maps of your virtual world for $25. Then a bunch of VC Bro's in matching gray Patagonia vests drop $450 MILLION DOLLARS in your lap. Big names that you read about in the WSJ. Life looks great - you've got a $B valuation, Covid is keeping everyone home, and people can't even find a bike to buy. Then they start telling you a lot of catchy phrases - you! You're hearing it. "Unicorn - you're a unicorn!" "Move fast and break things!" "Get big or get out!" "Buy as much talent as you can find!" And, suddenly, you have all these people on your new Board that have no direct experience whatsoever, but they worked at Lululemon and Twitter, so they're probably going to be incredibly helpful, 'cause, I mean, Lululemon - yeah, man, woo woo. So next, you hire some experienced managers. And each of them brings an entourage of sycophants who each need to build a tiny empire. "Put that money to work, fast," scream the vesty Bro's. "WE NEED TO SEE THE GROWTH" starts to echo in the board meeting. "You've got to broaden your thinking. Make a bike. Make a trainer. Make a broach or a pterodactyll." But, what they are not saying in the boardroom, but back in their own VC secret hide-out, is "our internal IRR expects to 3x to 5x on invested money in four years, or else we don't love them anymore." "We see that private markets are developing nicely and what we put on the books at 125x earnings, maybe we pair that down at 50x and cut exposure." Then, to you, they say, "While we know you still have 200 mm of committed capital to you, we're going to invoke the clause that lets us pull back on that a bit, so your remaining line is $40mm until we see how the growth vector develops." And, gulp, you've got a lot of staff, including some very expensive executives. Hmm. What to do? what to do... (rant over)
"
Likes For blacknbluebikes:
Old 02-08-24, 03:01 PM
choddo

Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
"pare"

Otherwise, spot on
Old 02-09-24, 06:13 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4392 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
For some of us, winter life would be hard to imagine if Zwift were to go under.

I agree that Zwift is a viable stable business, but it's hard to see how they continue a growth trajectory. Many thousands of people are paying monthly fees, so they do have cash flow. I guess what matters is how much debt they have to service.
I think it's good news that Eric Min is back as sole CEO, though.
Old 02-09-24, 07:24 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by MinnMan
For some of us, winter life would be hard to imagine if Zwift were to go under.

I agree that Zwift is a viable stable business, but it's hard to see how they continue a growth trajectory. Many thousands of people are paying monthly fees, so they do have cash flow. I guess what matters is how much debt they have to service.
I think it's good news that Eric Min is back as sole CEO, though.
I think ultimately it’s a pretty limited niche market. Certainly a viable business within that niche, but I can’t really see how it can be grown into something much bigger? At the end of the day it is a product of interest only to a relatively small subset of keen cyclists. Attracting the running crowd has obvious growth potential, which Zwift have tried to capture, but I don’t see many runners in the Zwift world.

So maybe Zwift is better off as a relatively small streamlined company with limited growth ambitions?
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 02-09-24, 05:58 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
Pretty limited indeed. I try to explain what I have to casual cyclists and they just don't understand. The first question is always "did you get a Peloton?" Then I explain the trainer and they are totally lost at that point and I give up. They think exercise bike with screens like at the gym. Never mind the interoperability of all the components, the trainer, the sensors, the computer, power meters, the handlebar computer, the apps. It is all too hard to fathom, even though they live their lives otherwise completely connected.
Old 02-09-24, 07:15 PM
choddo

I don’t think it will ever see the kind of growth it hit in “lockdown”

But I think they can grow a viable business off the back of price rises and attracting new cyclers while enough of the current crop stick around. I really find it the most motivating training platform but some of that is due to a bunch of friends teaming up on ZRL.
Retention will be critical hence Streaks and annual discounts.
Welcome to attention deficit economics.

IndieVelo will cause them some grief within a year.
Old 02-09-24, 08:26 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts
I know a lot of cyclists that got on Zwift in the last few years. I think they'll stay on it, for the bad weather riding and some of them for the Zwift challenges.
It's going to be a steady, profitable company, but not a rocket ship growth thing at all.
Likes For rm -rf:
Old 02-09-24, 09:56 PM
spelger

Originally Posted by choddo
I don’t think it will ever see the kind of growth it hit in “lockdown”

But I think they can grow a viable business off the back of price rises and attracting new cyclers while enough of the current crop stick around. I really find it the most motivating training platform but some of that is due to a bunch of friends teaming up on ZRL.
Retention will be critical hence Streaks and annual discounts.
Welcome to attention deficit economics.

IndieVelo will cause them some grief within a year.
not holding my breath.
Likes For spelger:
Old 02-10-24, 05:27 AM
choddo

not holding my breath.
The pace that thing is being developed at, it's going to have an impact on market share imho but I don't think it will be a major disruptor in terms of revenue. Regular zwifters are too invested, they'd need a very compelling reason to move. I think the serious racers might switch if gets some traction with a race organising body because of the anticheat foundations.
Old 02-10-24, 08:07 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Zwift losing the UCI had to hurt them some, although people don't really talk about it much.
Old 02-10-24, 10:13 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4392 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
Originally Posted by choddo
The pace that thing is being developed at, it's going to have an impact on market share imho but I don't think it will be a major disruptor in terms of revenue. Regular zwifters are too invested, they'd need a very compelling reason to move. I think the serious racers might switch if gets some traction with a race organising body because of the anticheat foundations.
My understanding is that IndieVelo is only a PC-based interface? - just MacOS and Windows. For the many of us who connect with phones, tablets, etc., that's a big negative.
Old 02-10-24, 06:51 PM
choddo

Originally Posted by MinnMan
My understanding is that IndieVelo is only a PC-based interface? - just MacOS and Windows. For the many of us who connect with phones, tablets, etc., that's a big negative.
Android too. iOS on the way.
Old 02-12-24, 09:58 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I think zwift really has screwed up with not combatting cheaters enough. I doubt that is a significant part of their user base, but it might cause enough of a migration that people notice.

I went through a short phase of watching videos about zwift on youtube, and the number one subject seems to be cheaters.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.