Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

(New Bike Shopping) Carbon Frame - Pushing weight limit

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-23, 08:52 AM
matt_bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

First the question, then some background below:

Current weight has been between 235lb-240lb, I'm in good riding shape, just haven't been as focused on weight loss as I should be. Plan to change that and drop weight gradually throughout the year.

How risky is it to push max weight on a carbon frame? At current weight plus gear, I'd be pushing the 120kg, 265lb max weight published on the Canyon website, but [probably] not going over it. I'm more concerned about the frame/fork integrity with an aggressive riding style, plan to stay on Aluminum wheels.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Just a little bit of background on where I'm at today. Like many, purchased a bike during COVID. Was my first drop bar bike (experienced MTBer), a 2021 Kona Jake the Snake (AL frame, CF fork), with plans on putting gravel slicks on it to ride casually on the road and some gravel. Total success, loved it, especially pushing myself on road rides, going fast, corning, climbing, high tempo, bombing hills, etc.

Anyway, things escalated and I made some more road geared modifications, kept the 1x 11 speed but widened gear ratio to help with climbs, swapped out wheels for DT Swiss Spline P1800s 33m depth, Zipp SC aero bars, a longer flatter Zipp SC stem, etc.

This was the beginning of last season, and I'm at a stage now where looking for an upgrade for best road riding experience possible. I really love the Canyon brand and eying up a Canyon Ultimate CF SL 7 eTap. I do enjoy longer rides was was thinking about an Endurace, but I think the Ultimate would suite my riding style more. Just concerned on the weight limit on the carbon as described in question above.
Old 07-10-23, 09:55 AM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 357 Posts
Originally Posted by matt_bikes

First the question, then some background below:

Current weight has been between 235lb-240lb, I'm in good riding shape, just haven't been as focused on weight loss as I should be. Plan to change that and drop weight gradually throughout the year.

How risky is it to push max weight on a carbon frame? At current weight plus gear, I'd be pushing the 120kg, 265lb max weight published on the Canyon website, but [probably] not going over it. I'm more concerned about the frame/fork integrity with an aggressive riding style, plan to stay on Aluminum wheels.
There is some caution built into the weight limits, but they are there for a reason. Riding style has a lot to do with it as well. Some people can just float through all the rough stuff and are really easy on bikes and wheels. Others seem to hit every hazard out there and go through parts and wheels like a hot knife through butter. Which one are you?
Old 07-10-23, 09:59 AM
matt_bikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KerryIrons
There is some caution built into the weight limits, but they are there for a reason. Riding style has a lot to do with it as well. Some people can just float through all the rough stuff and are really easy on bikes and wheels. Others seem to hit every hazard out there and go through parts and wheels like a hot knife through butter. Which one are you?
Hi! thanks for your reply, I'm typically a very cautious rider. I like to ride fast an aggressively but always with my bike's health in mind. I usually ride in areas where I know road surfaces are good and always avoid hazards.
Old 07-10-23, 10:00 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
That is a good question. Will be amazed if you find a good answer.

I'm close to your weight. Pisses me off when I look at ladders.

My guess is there will be no consistency from maker to maker, doubt there is some sort of commonly accepted standard, and that the limits are more to prevent lawsuits than anything else.

What I do know is I gave up on rear wheels with less than 36 spokes some decades ago. Every time I get the itch for a super light bike I hesitate when I see the 24 spoke wheels. Big riders, especially if they push heavy gears, really stress wheels.
Likes For Pop N Wood:
Old 07-10-23, 10:03 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10435 Post(s)
Liked 11,912 Times in 6,100 Posts
I have been where you are now. I have weighed as much as 240, though I did get down to 200 about 2 years ago and I'm currently in the 205-210 range. I already had bikes when the Pandemic hit, but with no commute and a need to get the hell out of the house and burn off some anxiety, I started riding a LOT more. In July of 2020 I got a Canyon Endurace. I was at least 220 lbs then, maybe higher. It was not a problem.

Regarding Endurace vs Ultimate, the first thing I'm mention is that the Endurace already has more aggressive geometry than most other "Endurance" bikes. With the Ultimate, you get about about an inch lower stack and half an inch more reach. You should assess your flexibility before choosing. I'm fairly inflexible myself - can't get much past mid calf when trying to touch my toes. I run my Endurace with about 3" of saddle-bar drop. I could go lower - most of my bikes have more drop. But for me there'd be little point in getting an Ultimate because I'm still running 7mm of spacers under the stem. If you haven't ridden a road bike much, you may find the Ultimate puts the bar too low for you, or too far away.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 07-10-23, 10:16 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,961 Times in 944 Posts
Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
That is a good question. Will be amazed if you find a good answer.

I'm close to your weight. Pisses me off when I look at ladders.

My guess is there will be no consistency from maker to maker, doubt there is some sort of commonly accepted standard, and that the limits are more to prevent lawsuits than anything else.

What I do know is I gave up on rear wheels with less than 36 spokes some decades ago. Every time I get the itch for a super light bike I hesitate when I see the 24 spoke wheels. Big riders, especially if they push heavy gears, really stress wheels.

Same here. I had prowheelbuilder make me a 28 spoke front and 32 spoke rear wheelset after destroying a set of Fulcrums.
I'm 210 lbs but not the most nimble rider and rough on bikes.
Old 07-10-23, 11:24 AM
Black wallnut 

Bikes: Schwinn Broadway, Specialized Secteur Sport(crashed) Spec. Roubaix Sport, Spec. Crux

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 84 Posts
I'm at 265 pounds, have been more, have been less. MY Specialized Roubaix has 35268.1 miles as of my last ride on Saturday. My 32 spoke Velocity Fusion rims with Ultegra hubs have broke exactly one spoke in about 25K miles. I wouldn't say I am hard on bikes or wheels but I do bunny hop cracks, manhole covers and such on a regular basis so maybe I am. I have had more saddle rail failures than anything. YMMV
Old 07-10-23, 11:33 AM
Calsun
Banned

Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
I like the Canyon bike designs but realized that with any problems I would likely need to ship the bike back to Canyon. I decided to stick with local bike shop supported bikes and have bought Specialized (road and full suspension MTB) and Scott (hardtail) bikes with new bikes purchased in the past several years. I also like as much as possible to have my money kept in the local community by supporting local bike shops. When I wanted to add a dropper seat post to my hardtail bike it was very convenient to take it to a bike shop and pay $50 labor to have an experienced mechanic do the installation. By supporting the shops I help them keep their doors open for myself and for others.
Old 07-10-23, 11:35 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10435 Post(s)
Liked 11,912 Times in 6,100 Posts
Another thought on Endurace vs Ultimate - if your happy with your position on your Kona, spend some time determining which of the Canyons would allow you to duplicate your position best. Also, take Canyon's recommended sizing with a grain of salt. They'd have had me on a Medium, which would have meant running the full stack of spacers and getting a longer stem, whereas the Large fits great with 7mm of spacers and the original stem.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 07-10-23, 11:47 AM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 1,486 Times in 870 Posts
It's worth noting that the Canyon weight limits seem to be a combined weight of rider + kit + luggage + bike.
You need to consider the weight of full water bottles + flat kit + phone/wallet/keys + shoes/gloves/helmet , etc. It seems likely that 240lb rider + bike + everything else would exceed 265lbs. This seems risky to me.

That said, I'm sure Canyon's weight limits are conservative and developed in consultation with legal.
Old 07-10-23, 03:12 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3147 Post(s)
Liked 1,712 Times in 1,034 Posts
Yeah, no one can say anything definitively, but there are-- and have been for years-- lots of heavy riders on carbon frames, so in response to the OP's question I'd say that it is generally *not* very risky to push frame weight limits. The only person I've ever known to have a carbon fiber fail is a woman-- typical sized, so maybe 140-150?-- who had the head/downtube junction fail on a bonded Colnago frame. Every Clyde I know is on carbon fiber these days, including me.

I've been pushing hard on this carbon Dedaccai for 6 years on MI's notoriously bad roads, all while weighing between 230lbs and 245lbs. I don't remember if there was a weight limit, but the bike is 17.1lbs/7.7kg as pictured (i.e. including cages, out front computer/camera mount, Assioma pedals, mini-pump, full emergency kit with tube, multitool, 2 levers, patches, and CO2 inflator & cartridge) on the size XL frame, so it's pretty light. Until this season, the wheels were the amazing 18f/24r steel aero spoked, 30mm deep, 19.4mm IW, alu rimmed, 1395g American Classic Argents; bulletproof, and still doing backup duty for this bike, while another bike still wears a set of Argents 10 years on. I was harangued on the Clydesdale/Athena forum for daring to ride fewer than 36 spoke wheels; apostasy! The new Lun Hyper R45s, which are 46mm/54mm deep and 1322g (claimed) with 21mm IW and 16f/21r carbon spokes, have already proved their mettle, offering excellent snap and stability when stomped on, and handily hauling my corpulent carcass to stop in the rain from downhill speeds approaching 50mph while at spring camp in Bloomington this year (it rained all three days we rode!). I took the Argents with me because I was worried about braking, but never even thought about 'em.

The short of it is, there's always risk, there's always fear-mongering, and there are always folks proving otherwise. You can choose your gear wisely, choose not to let a bunch of rando dudes on the internet cause you to live in fear, and choose to follow the examples of those doing what others say is impossible. Or you can choose not to, but either way, you pay your money and take risks.

Likes For chaadster:
Old 07-11-23, 12:58 PM
Calsun
Banned

Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
Safest to buy a bike with an aluminum frame and forkset. It will weigh up to 2 lbs more but be stronger and less subject to fatigue and sudden catastrophic failure.

A Specialized Allez Sprint alloy framset weighs 3.3 lb as compared to their carbon fiber Aethos frameset at 1.88 lb. The alloy frameset is 1.4 lbs heavier but the weight of the components and the wheels and the tires is going to be the same. A water bottle weighs more than 1.5 lbs for a frame of reference.
Likes For Calsun:
Old 07-11-23, 07:13 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4414 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
Originally Posted by Calsun
Safest to buy a bike with an aluminum frame and forkset. It will weigh up to 2 lbs more but be stronger and less subject to fatigue and sudden catastrophic failure.

This is simply not true. Canyon have the same weight limit on their aluminium frames ie 120 kg.

Their weight limit is pretty conservative as they have the same 120 kg limit on all their road and gravel bikes. The margins are going to be a little tighter on their lightest road frames. If I was pushing the weight limit I would seriously consider choosing a gravel bike and fit road tyres. The carbon layup on their gravel bike frames is probably a little stronger.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 07-21-23, 04:16 PM
Guff
Rode Rash

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
I'm between 205lbs and 215lbs and ride a Canyon Endurace SL7 ETAP. No problems, though I have big plush tires (30mm) and avoid potholes and bunny-hopping just in case.
Old 07-21-23, 06:44 PM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts
Check out Salsa. A few years ago I checked with them while looking at a WarRoad.

Answer:

“As an ASTM Condition 2 bicycle the Warroad is rated for a 300lb rider and 55lbs of luggage!”
Old 07-22-23, 06:08 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,478 Times in 1,836 Posts
Check out any bike you like. They all will work fine.
Old 07-24-23, 01:43 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked 1,376 Times in 721 Posts
My son races carbon frame and wheels. He weighs in most days around 245lbs. Has zero issues. In fact I weigh in at 230-235 depending upon what's for breakfast, lunch and dinner, and have owned 2 carbon frames. It is much stronger and resists cycle fatigue much better than most understand.

As for wheels, go carbon. I am constantly impressed with the durability of carbon rims on mountain bikes, and my son's road/gravel bike. I have considered them for myself, but who am I kidding. I am old, fat, and slow. Alloy does just fine for my needs.
Likes For TiHabanero: