Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2024.2

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2024.2

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-24, 11:18 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3259 Post(s)
Liked 2,086 Times in 980 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
It's a Onefinity Pro in the Woodworker size.

Currently using Carveco Maker, as there was a free one-year subscription included with the machine. I'll keep using it for now, but I might dip my toes in to Vectric before renewing the license; just based on the number of user tutorials out there, it seems like the Vectric suite has a bigger following, and that's usually for a reason (and, after watching of couple videos on the recently released v12, some of the features are intriguing).
You post here again?
Old 04-18-24, 11:28 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Wife made me Turkish Manti and a Basque style cheesecake for birthday dinner. If you’ve never had either, you should.

she makes everything with GF flour due to her allergies and I don’t think I can ever tell the difference.

im also fat now
Likes For phrantic09:
Old 04-18-24, 11:29 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by abshipp
Nice that they include a 3-axis probe with it, I can imagine that makes offset adjustment during tool changes a lot simpler assuming it works well.

You said you're looking to use it to print money, what kind of stuff are you wanting to make? 32x32x6 seems pretty big on paper.
Yeah, I initially had the Original (not Pro) version in my cart, but the the probe, drag chains, software, etc, weren't included, and were a significant cost. The Pro included those goodies, a larger control panel, and more beefy rails for the X axis, so it was a no-brainer to move up for a few bucks more.

The plan is to do some smaller stuff to ensure a modest baseline; I'll batch out some of the decorative/functional stuff, with a focus on local markets, personalization, hobbies/interests. I've also got some magnetic knife bars that I've already sold online and with a local retailer - I'm doing those as one-offs, pulling those from stock with interesting character.

I'll also use the CNC for larger pieces, higher ticket stuff that probably won't move as frequently. I'm still working on a vertical milling surface, so that I'll be able to knock out dovetails, box joints, mortise & tenons, etc. Some things, like benches or chairs, probably won't get milled directly by the CNC, but I'll use it to create templates and jigs for faster, repeatable work with the more conventional woodworking gear (router, table saw, band saw, etc).
Old 04-18-24, 11:32 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by TMonk
Close call a minute ago. Watching baby this AM instead of training before work, Liz is a bit sick.

I put Lilly on a trundle bed we have in the garage while assembling some things for work. She rolled right off the bed onto the foam gym flooring we had below in about 2 seconds... and I wasn't close enough to grab her. 3' drop. Freaked me the hell out for a second. Fortunately, she landed with amazing form in a strong plank-like position, and stopped crying within 10s of being picked up. She's a tough kid!

I know his is no news to many of you, but man, as they become more mobile, I gotta watch her like a hawk and be more vigilant. I can't just plop her somewhere and count on her staying put.
Kids that age bounce (and bounce back) pretty well. But yeah, it can be a rude awakening when they go mobile.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 04-18-24, 11:34 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by phrantic09
You post here again?
Coffee help was needed.

Originally Posted by phrantic09
Wife made me Turkish Manti and a Basque style cheesecake for birthday dinner. If you’ve never had either, you should.

she makes everything with GF flour due to her allergies and I don’t think I can ever tell the difference.

im also fat now
One of my YouTuber cooks posted a Basque cheesecake recipe that I've been meaning try, but I don't want to get too fat. Maybe when the weather improves and I'm getting in miles more regularly.
Old 04-18-24, 12:05 PM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Coffee help was needed.

One of my YouTuber cooks posted a Basque cheesecake recipe that I've been meaning try, but I don't want to get too fat. Maybe when the weather improves and I'm getting in miles more regularly.
Thats my problem now- sick of the trainer but the weather blows. I did a gravel event in rain, sleet, hail last weekend and that was enough of that weather for me.
Likes For phrantic09:
Old 04-18-24, 01:44 PM
Mojo31
-------

Quoted: 9656 Post(s)
Liked 6,366 Times in 3,506 Posts
Yeah, I initially had the Original (not Pro) version in my cart, but the the probe, drag chains, software, etc, weren't included, and were a significant cost. The Pro included those goodies, a larger control panel, and more beefy rails for the X axis, so it was a no-brainer to move up for a few bucks more.

The plan is to do some smaller stuff to ensure a modest baseline; I'll batch out some of the decorative/functional stuff, with a focus on local markets, personalization, hobbies/interests. I've also got some magnetic knife bars that I've already sold online and with a local retailer - I'm doing those as one-offs, pulling those from stock with interesting character.

I'll also use the CNC for larger pieces, higher ticket stuff that probably won't move as frequently. I'm still working on a vertical milling surface, so that I'll be able to knock out dovetails, box joints, mortise & tenons, etc. Some things, like benches or chairs, probably won't get milled directly by the CNC, but I'll use it to create templates and jigs for faster, repeatable work with the more conventional woodworking gear (router, table saw, band saw, etc).
Linky?
Old 04-18-24, 04:15 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 142 Post(s)
Quoted: 2654 Post(s)
Liked 3,166 Times in 1,667 Posts
Got a bit of a special show I'm seeing tonight. Can't believe he's still touring at his age! Amazing! Seen him twice before. Last time it was quite progressive/fusion, which is totally my vibe. I may sneak out early and grab a bite and a manhattan at the US Grant downtown if all is well at home.

Old 04-18-24, 05:17 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8295 Post(s)
Liked 9,084 Times in 4,491 Posts
Got a bit of a special show I'm seeing tonight. Can't believe he's still touring at his age! Amazing! Seen him twice before. Last time it was quite progressive/fusion, which is totally my vibe. I may sneak out early and grab a bite and a manhattan at the US Grant downtown if all is well at home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6x3QtLCAPp8
Nice! I saw Herbie Hancock once in the 70s.It was a jazz festival (Newport,maybe) that was moved to Devonshire Downs at CSUN. It was cold and the crowd huddled together to pass wine bottles and joints around.
He was playing an electronic keyboard that they said he had invented. He was playing "Maiden Voyage" and it sounded great until the cold air affected the electronics and the volume went haywire.
Likes For big john:
Old 04-18-24, 05:19 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 142 Post(s)
Quoted: 2654 Post(s)
Liked 3,166 Times in 1,667 Posts
^
those kinds of stories are what legends are made of!
Likes For TMonk:
Old 04-18-24, 05:20 PM
big john

R.I.P. Dickey Betts.
Likes For big john:
Old 04-18-24, 05:26 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10455 Post(s)
Liked 11,945 Times in 6,114 Posts
Close call a minute ago. Watching baby this AM instead of training before work, Liz is a bit sick.

I put Lilly on a trundle bed we have in the garage while assembling some things for work. She rolled right off the bed onto the foam gym flooring we had below in about 2 seconds... and I wasn't close enough to grab her. 3' drop. Freaked me the hell out for a second. Fortunately, she landed with amazing form in a strong plank-like position, and stopped crying within 10s of being picked up. She's a tough kid!

I know his is no news to many of you, but man, as they become more mobile, I gotta watch her like a hawk and be more vigilant. I can't just plop her somewhere and count on her staying put.
With The Older Boy, we totally babyproofed the place. Spent a lot of time and thought and money on it.

It didn't help. We STILL had another baby.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 04-18-24, 05:26 PM
big john

^
those kinds of stories are what legends are made of!
Everyone was so stoked it didn't matter and he moved on with the next number. I don't even remember what other bands were there, maybe it will come back to me later.
A friend went with me and he was not a jazz fan but he was blown away. Not just by the music, but by the fans, also.
Likes For big john:
Old 04-18-24, 05:38 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

But seriously folks!

We babyproofed our place for The Older Boy, and of course as he grew up and got more trustworthy, we removed a lot of it, so by the time we moved to our next place, just before The Younger Boy was born, we did minimal babyproofing. Then, when The Younger Boy reached the age of mobility, we started re-babyproofing the new place and The Older Boy pitched a fit because we were making things so much harder for HIM to reach. So we relented, and The Younger Boy didn't stick any forks in sockets, or fall off a couch and crack his head open etc. So, there's that.

Funny story - when we were buying our current house, TYB was 2 1/2. We had just put together an offer and it turned out there was an Open House that day, so we went. The house has a shed built onto the side of the house, a lean-to shed. TYB went into it and locked it from the inside. The agent didn't have a key to it, and after a few minutes of trying to get him to unlock the door, he became more and more upset - because he didn't realize what he'd done, so he didn't know how to undo it. The agent called the Fire Department, who got there in just a few minutes, JUST as TYB unlocked the door.. Mrs. GJ said, "We HAVE to buy it now!" And we were both favorably impressed by how fast the FD got there!

Likes For genejockey:
Old 04-18-24, 05:41 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3449 Post(s)
Liked 3,596 Times in 1,803 Posts

He came to our booth at MacWorld. I gave him a one-on-one demo of our software (DiskDoubler).

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 04-18-24, 05:44 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Yesterday I got an email saying that the brand-spankin' new reproduction Sante hoods for my Schwinn Circuit are enroute from Poland, and I can see myself shiver with antici

.pation!

Likes For genejockey:
Old 04-18-24, 06:05 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 12805 Post(s)
Liked 7,733 Times in 4,098 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6x3QtLCAPp8

I think he just had a birthday this week. There were all kinds of FB posts about him anyways.
Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 04-18-24, 06:20 PM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

Bikes: 1

Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8852 Post(s)
Liked 3,001 Times in 1,744 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
R.I.P. Dickey Betts.
I think of this when i think of Dickey. Song from my youth.
Likes For DougRNS:
Old 04-18-24, 06:50 PM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3367 Post(s)
Liked 3,654 Times in 1,248 Posts
Nights like these are why I love road bikes.

Decent B group with a dozen or so riders and 80 degrees with calm winds. Pretty sunset was the cherry on top.

Rode to the start and back home. Not a lot of climbing but 43 miles on a Thursday was nice.

Old 04-18-24, 06:56 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Quoted: 11412 Post(s)
Liked 4,776 Times in 2,776 Posts
I read a long time ago that he tried to capture his daughter crawling on the floor and just having fun, in music. Every time I heard it, I pictured a baby doing happy crawl things, bouncing. rocking, just stuff I see babies do. I thought he nailed it. He named the song after his daughter, Jessica.
Likes For LAJ:
Old 04-18-24, 07:08 PM
seedsbelize2

Bikes: 79 Trek 930 is back on the road, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3211 Post(s)
Liked 1,862 Times in 1,172 Posts
. AIn't nothing wrong w that! Enjoying the new MTB?
The pump just came in and then I had two days in the city. Tomorrow morning it is, for the maiden voyage.
Likes For seedsbelize2:
Old 04-18-24, 07:15 PM
big john

Originally Posted by seedsbelize2
The pump just came in and then I had two days in the city. Tomorrow morning it is, for the maiden voyage.
Likes For big john:
Old 04-18-24, 07:30 PM
seedsbelize2

Bikes: 79 Trek 930 is back on the road, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3211 Post(s)
Liked 1,862 Times in 1,172 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Video not available
Old 04-18-24, 07:38 PM
big john

Originally Posted by seedsbelize2
Video not available
Old 04-18-24, 08:33 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11978 Post(s)
Liked 6,676 Times in 3,493 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
He came to our booth at MacWorld. I gave him a one-on-one demo of our software (DiskDoubler).
You're a Mac guy? No wonder you're so mellow.
Likes For BillyD:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.