Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bike racing shorts

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bike racing shorts

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-24, 04:36 PM
Chistophe516

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 19 Posts
Bike racing shorts

Mods please move this to the appropriate forum.

I don't race, but. I do wear racing shorts because they are more comfortable. Casual everyday shorts left me feeling sore in the saddle. My question is, are they safe to put in dryer?
Old 02-20-24, 04:54 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10435 Post(s)
Liked 11,912 Times in 6,100 Posts
Short answer: No.

Longer answer: No-o-o-o.

Not if you want them to fit right. At least in my experience.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 02-20-24, 04:59 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
I'm assuming you're talking about typical lycra bicycle shorts? I've just never heard of them as racing shorts.

Anyway, I'll bet that the washing and drying instructions are on a little label on the shorts. Or look at the manufacturer's online info.

That said, what I've always done and my shorts (bibs actually) last many years. I wash in the regular washing machine on warm (I wash everything on warm) and air dry by hanging them on a door knob or clothes hanger in the open. Oh I put the bibs in a mesh bag for washing so the shoulder straps don't get tangled around the other laundry.

A lot of people insist on hand washing, but in my experience, that's totally unnecessary extra work. I have several pair of bib shorts so I just wait until I have a load to add them too, about every other day in our family.

I have put the shorts in the dryer on extra low occasionally, but not completely dry. I remove them while they're still a little damp and finish in the air.
Old 02-20-24, 04:59 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,471 Times in 1,020 Posts
Originally Posted by Chistophe516
Mods please move this to the appropriate forum.

I don't race, but. I do wear racing shorts because they are more comfortable. Casual everyday shorts left me feeling sore in the saddle. My question is, are they safe to put in dryer?
What are bike racing shorts? Are you referring to tight-fitting shorts (or bibs,\ or skinsuits) made from lycra or similar material with a chamois (a/k/a pad)? If so, they should absolutely not go in the dryer.
Old 02-20-24, 05:00 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,968 Times in 4,692 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey

I wash 'em in lingerie bags on the gentle cycle using detergent that has no additives, then dry 'em for about 15 mins on low heat before putting them on a drying rack. Works fine, and the chamois will be dry the next day.

But if the option is binary -- drying or no drying -- then I'm with you.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 02-20-24, 05:12 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10435 Post(s)
Liked 11,912 Times in 6,100 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
I'm assuming you're talking about typical lycra bicycle shorts? I've just never heard of them as racing shorts.

Anyway, I'll bet that the washing and drying instructions are on a little label on the shorts. Or look at the manufacturer's online info.

That said, what I've always done and my shorts (bibs actually) last many years. I wash in the regular washing machine on warm (I wash everything on warm) and air dry by hanging them on a door knob or clothes hanger in the open. Oh I put the bibs in a mesh bag for washing so the shoulder straps don't get tangled around the other laundry.

A lot of people insist on hand washing, but in my experience, that's totally unnecessary extra work. I have several pair of bib shorts so I just wait until I have a load to add them too, about every other day in our family.

I have put the shorts in the dryer on extra low occasionally, but not completely dry. I remove them while they're still a little damp and finish in the air.
This is the way.

I figure they're like underwear, only more so, so I have enough pairs to wear fresh bibs every ride, and then I wash them and all my other cycling kit after my big ride on Sunday and hang them to dry. Monday is rest day, and they're always ready to go by ride time on Tuesday.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 02-20-24, 05:28 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
Racing shorts = bicycle shorts or bibs.... the stretchy, form fitting spandex or lycra type material that gives us older types the MAMIL stereotype name?

If so, then I just hang them up to dry. Usually inside out. They'll be dry in a day depending on your homes humidity level and how much air flows around where it's drying. Reading the care instructions that are on one of the labels inside is a useful thing to at least know. Or did you cut those off and toss them?

In warm to hot weather it's not a big deal if they are still a tad damp. They'll be soaked with sweat soon enough.

https://m.bikeforums.net/showpost.ph...64&postcount=1

Last edited by Iride01; 02-20-24 at 05:42 PM.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 02-20-24, 06:22 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts
I am guilty of ignoring the instructions about drying.

I wash my bike gear separately, very little detergent, cold water, very short cycle. I do put the gear in the dryer on low.

so far has not seemed to destroy them, but i have been getting new gear (smaller sizes ) so this is not long term

Old 02-20-24, 06:24 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,961 Times in 944 Posts
I wash my bibshorts on the cold water gentle cycle and use a clear detergent with Lysol Laundry Sanitizer Sport in the rinse cycle.
Hang dry indoors and no problems with this regimen.
Old 02-20-24, 06:48 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
I wash all my cycling clothes in the machine on gentle/delicates and dry with low heat. Seems to work fine for me, but I'm also the kind of guy who puts everything in the dishwasher because if it can't survive then I don't want that product anyway.
Old 02-20-24, 06:50 PM
serotta

Bikes: Serotta, kestrel, Raleigh, Cannondale, Proflex, Santana tandem, Santana Stylus (single), Trek, Schwinn, Azuki, Scattante (fixed)

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
Bibs with synthetic chamois, always in the wash with the other clothes, dryer too. If I catch them before they finish, all well and good.... take them out leave them on a drying rack overnight. If I don't catch them in time, then they are fully machine dried. Never had a problem in decades of doing it this way.

Now some of my old natural chamois..... of course, hand wash in Woolite, line dry..... ALWAYS.
Likes For serotta:
Old 02-20-24, 09:36 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2584 Post(s)
Liked 5,642 Times in 2,922 Posts
Washing machine on cold, hang inside out to dry. Driers tend to damage spandex/lycra. If you don’t believe me, look what happens to underwear waistbands after several washes and drys.

Old 02-20-24, 09:54 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,471 Times in 1,020 Posts
I machine wash my bibs in cold water, gentle cycle, with minimal laundry detergent, only with other cycling apparel and similar fabric (e.g., Nike Dri Fit). I leave my bibs on a flat surface to air dry and hang them up afterward.
Old 02-20-24, 09:57 PM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 153 Posts
The only time I ever got groinal boils was when I used genuine chamois. As soon as I went synthetic, I was able to ride sub-5 centuries with neither boils nor discomfort. Warm wash with the rest of my clothes, and full dryer cycle.
One time a guy complained he could see my @$$ through my bibs, so I told him he didn't have to draft. (But I did get rid of those bibs a few months later.)
Old 02-21-24, 12:38 AM
Chistophe516

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey

Ah, ok

Originally Posted by Camilo

That's just what I think of them as.

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
What are bike racing shorts? Are you referring to tight-fitting shorts (or bibs,\ or skinsuits) made from lycra or similar material with a chamois (a/k/a pad)? If so, they should absolutely not go in the dryer.
Good point.
Old 02-21-24, 02:25 AM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1963 Post(s)
Liked 647 Times in 443 Posts
I have always put mine in the dryer.
Likes For Yan:
Old 02-21-24, 06:25 AM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 248 Posts
I wear out my bibs long before drying them in the dryer harms them. I have no thigh gap, so my shorts wear out on the inside of the thigh where they rub against the saddle. If this isn't you, then maybe avoiding the dryer makes sense so your bibs/shorts last longer.

- Separate load for bike clothes
- Machine wash
- All clothes inside-out (jerseys: pockets empty, all zippers zipped),
- Cold, gentle cycle, extra rinse (I react to some chemicals/fragrances in some detergents/fabric softeners/dryer sheets)
- I use a sportwash of some kind
- NEVER with fabric softener (bad for clothes, bad for my skin)
- Dry in dryer at low temp (NEVER dryer sheets or similar)
Done
(thicker winter socks and insulated gloves require an extra dryer cycle, after the other clothes are removed)
Likes For noimagination:
Old 02-21-24, 06:36 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4414 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
I don't bother with the dryer. The bibs I use air dry in a couple of hours anyway, so I don't see much point. Plus they invariably state not to tumble dry on the wash labels.
Old 02-21-24, 06:49 AM
serotta

Bikes: Serotta, kestrel, Raleigh, Cannondale, Proflex, Santana tandem, Santana Stylus (single), Trek, Schwinn, Azuki, Scattante (fixed)

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
I've always slathered my natural chamois with Noxema cream, never had a boil or saddle sore despite the length of rides or repeated long days.

If I'm going over 80-100 miles, If I remember, I use Noxema on my synthetic too.
Likes For serotta:
Old 02-21-24, 07:55 AM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 455 Times in 266 Posts
I get a longer life out of my 'racing shorts' by turning them inside out to get extra days of use before washing them.
Likes For Kai Winters:
Old 02-21-24, 08:09 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
I have always put mine in the dryer. Never had a problem. They seem to be fine and last a long time.
Likes For staehpj1:
Old 02-21-24, 08:10 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 853 Times in 446 Posts
For decades I've been machine washing all of my kit (Lycra, wool and polyester) on gentle cycle with cold water, very little detergent, and hang drying. Mistakenly, once in a while something goes through the regular wash and dry cycle and thankfully nothing bad happened.
Old 02-21-24, 09:51 AM
cweb99

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 58 Posts
DO NOT put bike shorts in the dryer. They will F up the padding. Trust me

just hang dry
Old 02-21-24, 10:16 AM
Black wallnut 

Bikes: Schwinn Broadway, Specialized Secteur Sport(crashed) Spec. Roubaix Sport, Spec. Crux

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 84 Posts
I wash on cold, tumble dry on low heat. My bibs and jerseys wear out before any issues from laundry.
Old 02-21-24, 10:31 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
One poster here in particular claims you can dry lycra on high heat and it refreshes the synthetic fiber.

I asked him once why the one time I did it (accidentally) the elasticity in the seat was shot when the shorts came out of the dryer. I got no response. So I follow the "hang to dry" label. My shorts last longer that way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.