Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why do some dislike Trek bicycles / corporation?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Why do some dislike Trek bicycles / corporation?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-24, 12:25 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7654 Post(s)
Liked 3,489 Times in 1,842 Posts
Lots of Win here ... glad I found this thread.
Who needs Larrysellerz when we have lance and Locktite?
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 01-23-24, 05:50 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18441 Post(s)
Liked 15,617 Times in 7,350 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
Do you think that the bolt may not have been properly tightened the first time? With your riding conditions (loaded touring), double-checking things on a regular basis is probably a really good idea. $#!+ happens, and sometimes not at convenient times or locations.
Look how askew that rack is. The second photo shows a moderately rough part of the surface. There were worse parts with bad washboards. And we had to watch out for wild life.

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 01-23-24, 09:43 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 575 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 409 Posts
Originally Posted by calamarichris
Cycling was a better sport before Armstrong and Trek, and it will be a better sport once it's cleansed of both.
How long was cycling clean before Lance and Trek? How long after? And are you really 100% sure it's clean now?

I was watching the old TT up Huez this weekend... the announcers (Paul) was talking about how Indurain taught Lance how to use a high cadence to generate power vs grinding.

According to Lemond - one can't naturally generate that level of power at high cadence. It's one of the methods Lemond uses to identify cheaters.

Lance was introduced to Ferrari by none other than Eddie Merckx.

So, a lil logic will tell you that Lance's was mentored and helped along by the prior 5x champs - who were guiding him into the world of doping.

IMHO - and I'm not really a "Lance fanboy" - rather just being realistic - that the Lance phenom was not of his own doing, but took on a life of its own. It took a village to build that empire.
Old 01-23-24, 09:58 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2493 Post(s)
Liked 2,967 Times in 1,685 Posts
Originally Posted by Jughed
I was watching the old TT up Huez this weekend... the announcers (Paul) was talking about how Indurain taught Lance how to use a high cadence to generate power vs grinding.

According to Lemond - one can't naturally generate that level of power at high cadence. It's one of the methods Lemond uses to identify cheaters.
Just clarifying: I think Lemond wasn't saying that it was the high cadence that was suspect per se. Hour records are typically set at high cadences. It was Armstrong's turning over that gear for so long with a cadence that made it appear almost effortless.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 01-23-24, 10:08 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 1,593 Times in 739 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
Pot metal wasn't used exclusively by the French, of course.
Recently read a how-to on bleeding hydraulic brakes and the writer warned care with the shifter cap bolt, it's "made out of chocolate".
Likes For BTinNYC:
Old 01-23-24, 10:37 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4981 Post(s)
Liked 8,144 Times in 3,854 Posts
Cycling was a better sport before Armstrong and Trek, and it will be a better sport once it's cleansed of both.
Despite his tremendous flaws, Armstrong brought a lot of visibility and money into the sport, and the sport is still benefiting from that shift. You want Trek removed from pro cycling? Nonsense. What happened with Lemond, etc. is now a bygone era. You're welcome to ***** and moan about history, but you can't change it. These days, Trek puts a lot into the sport, from top WT teams, all the way down to the grassroots level, in lots of different arenas.

Last edited by Eric F; 01-24-24 at 10:35 AM.
Likes For Eric F:
Old 01-23-24, 12:50 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1249 Post(s)
Liked 1,328 Times in 677 Posts
How long was cycling clean before Lance and Trek? How long after? And are you really 100% sure it's clean now?

Lance was introduced to Ferrari by none other than Eddie Merckx.

So, a lil logic will tell you that Lance's was mentored and helped along by the prior 5x champs - who were guiding him into the world of doping.

IMHO - and I'm not really a "Lance fanboy" - rather just being realistic - that the Lance phenom was not of his own doing, but took on a life of its own. It took a village to build that empire.
According to Saint Lemond's logic then almost all of the top-tier professional cyclists today are cheaters. He believed that whoever beat him was a cheater and anyone who gained popularity after his retirement was also a cheater. Most of his business partners were also cheaters and frauds, which led to lawsuits in almost all of his post-retirement endeavours. Furthermore, his father, whom he had fired from Lemond Cycles before the merger, was also a cheater. Lemond Cycles was effectively bankrupt before the merger with Trek due to poor sales numbers and substantial losses, which he attributed to cheaters. Trek, who bought the brand and turned the operation around, were cheaters. It seems like there is a pattern here.
Old 01-23-24, 02:03 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7654 Post(s)
Liked 3,489 Times in 1,842 Posts
The question is not whether Lemond or anyone else doped----most likely Everyone doped Always, by whatever method was popular at the time, because nobody even bothered to check for a long time ....

Lemond was not upset that others were faster, he was upset that he was getting dissed and financially ruined by a person who was not only the figurehead for maximized doping programs, but also a total dick about that and everything else he did.

What happened in "the doping era" was that a carefully calculated, high-tech doping program became the defining factor in cycling success---winning was no longer about riding, but about having the best pharmaceuticals and knowing how to use them better. Lance was the poster boy for US cycling, and also (unbeknownst to some) the poster boy for massive illegal performance enhancement .... and was a loudmouth dickhead about everything he did, ruining the careers of everybody who told the truth or even just disagreed with him.

Trek and everybody else inside pro cycling at the time knew that only cheaters won, and that only the best cheaters won regularly. So blaming Trek for all that is empty.

There is a personal aspect---Lemond surely hated lance because Lance stole his thunder, stole his fame, not by cycling ability but by doping --- and was a dick about it. Everybody forgot Lemond, but Lemond was likely a better rider---if only because he didn't have the huge dope advantage Lance had. Lemond was more on a level playing field, while Armstrong's winning teams won because they had by far the best drugs and the best delivery systems---better riding through science. But once Lance hit the scene Lemond was forgotten, and this probably in part motivated Lemond to make accusations---Valid accusations.

Picking sides is unnecessary ..... There is nothing in any way redeeming about Lance Armstrong or any of his actions. He is simply a bad person. That doesn't make me a Lemond supporter.

here's the deal with history---facts are facts. Distorting, ignoring, deliberately misinterpreting facts in order to support a particular position is the sort of nonsense that is screwing up the world today.

Liking or not liking Trek because of corporate decisions made by the company two decades ago ... whatever.

But hey ... I have also seen people in this thread claiming that everyone who rides Spec has a superior attitude ... so there is nonsense flowing strongly in every direction.

As for myself ... I buy bikes to ride and I ride bikes. I am not particularly interested in which corporation owns which holding company owns which other holding company, etc. if a bike has the features I want at a price point I find acceptable, .... but that is not how threads last a dozen pages or more .....
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 01-23-24, 03:04 PM
wheelreason

Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked 651 Times in 385 Posts
"Apollo, stand by to stir the bottle, in three, two, one, stir..."
Likes For wheelreason:
Old 01-31-24, 12:55 PM
Pouhana

Bikes: Fuji Nevada 29, Trek 820, SE BIG Mountain 29

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
I was not aware that they “kicked out” all the dealers. Sounds like fake news to me but will leave that fight to others.

The fact they offered any discount at all to someone who had a water bottle bolt come loose is amazing. This is on the guy who doesn’t check his bike over once in a while. Rather than turn on Trek coach your friend on basic bike maintenance.
By far the best LBS in our region is a very large Trek store 1/2 the local stores went out of business from Covid days to post covid. He had hundreds of bikes in stock.

Trek opened at different times 2 other small Trek dealers here. Both did not last. (i wonder what kind of territorial clauses are written in old dealer agreements)

We have a new Scheels sporting goods super store which I see stocks Trek and may sell a few.

I am impressed with Trek requiring a bike be set up by a dealer before customer takes it home. We had good luck with Trek. (toured Waterloo plant with kids during Tour de France.. Did not see inside rag and glue assembly area. )
Old 01-31-24, 04:29 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1114 Post(s)
Liked 1,208 Times in 765 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
How do you pronounce “Yuengling”?
I have no inkling
Likes For Camilo:
Old 01-31-24, 04:45 PM
Camilo

Quoted: 1114 Post(s)
Liked 1,208 Times in 765 Posts
I choose our bikes according to a simple criterion: not TrekSpecializedGiant. Home to Felt, Jamis, Litespeed, Lynskey, Kona, Sannino,....Oops and a 30 year old Giant.
Old 02-01-24, 05:23 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18441 Post(s)
Liked 15,617 Times in 7,350 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
I have no inkling
Ying ling.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 02-01-24, 07:49 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1411 Post(s)
Liked 1,914 Times in 1,100 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
From my understanding in talking with people in the bike biz, Specialized has a history of being pretty crappy and demanding with their dealers. Trek, however, was really good to their dealers...until they started opening corporate shops in the same towns. There is a LBS in my area who has carried Trek as their primary line for many decades (since at least the '90s, possibly longer). Trek opened a corporate shop in the same city because they feel like there is more business to be squeezed from the area. It was a kick in the teeth to the loyal LBS.
this mirrors what happened to our LBS - second generation shop in business since the 1950’s

first Specialized - then more recently Trek
Likes For t2p:
Old 02-01-24, 09:02 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,515 Times in 1,512 Posts
For me it has to do with branding. I don't want proprietary parts on my bike. I also don't want parts made by another manufacturer but with in this case a Trek/Bontrager name on it. If the headset on that bike is made by Tange for example, then it needs to have the Tange logo on it or nothing at all. Not a Trek, or a Bontrager logo. I don't want something like a Giro helmet or pair of shoes that's labeled as a Trek/Bontrager. Same for other accessories. If a blinky light is "manufactured for Trek/Bontrager" by Cygolite, even if they come out of the same plant/on the same assembly line, I want Cygolite on that light. It's a bike light. Cygolite makes bike lights, not bicycles. The last thing I want is to be dependent on that/those stores/brands and their lack of choices for my purchasing needs. Don't get me started on Nike.

Last edited by seypat; 02-01-24 at 09:06 AM.
Old 02-01-24, 12:05 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Quoted: 3448 Post(s)
Liked 3,593 Times in 1,802 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
For me it has to do with branding. I don't want proprietary parts on my bike. I also don't want parts made by another manufacturer but with in this case a Trek/Bontrager name on it. If the headset on that bike is made by Tange for example, then it needs to have the Tange logo on it or nothing at all. Not a Trek, or a Bontrager logo. I don't want something like a Giro helmet or pair of shoes that's labeled as a Trek/Bontrager. Same for other accessories. If a blinky light is "manufactured for Trek/Bontrager" by Cygolite, even if they come out of the same plant/on the same assembly line, I want Cygolite on that light. It's a bike light. Cygolite makes bike lights, not bicycles. The last thing I want is to be dependent on that/those stores/brands and their lack of choices for my purchasing needs. Don't get me started on Nike.
Proprietary parts are fine with me, as long as replacements are made for many years and are easy to find. When you get beyond the most basic (bearings, cables, tires, etc.), many bike parts are proprietary. Especially the drive train, which, no surprise, is a wear item.

Derailleur hangers are super proprietary, but there's a company that specializes in making compatible hangers. Problem solved.

If some vendor slaps their logo on a part made by another vendor, what's the problem? Now you have two sources to buy from when you need to replace a part.

Old 02-01-24, 12:20 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3959 Post(s)
Liked 7,332 Times in 2,957 Posts
I also don't want parts made by another manufacturer but with in this case a Trek/Bontrager name on it. If the headset on that bike is made by Tange for example, then it needs to have the Tange logo on it or nothing at all. Not a Trek, or a Bontrager logo. I don't want something like a Giro helmet or pair of shoes that's labeled as a Trek/Bontrager. Same for other accessories. If a blinky light is "manufactured for Trek/Bontrager" by Cygolite, even if they come out of the same plant/on the same assembly line, I want Cygolite on that light. It's a bike light. Cygolite makes bike lights, not bicycles. The last thing I want is to be dependent on that/those stores/brands and their lack of choices for my purchasing needs. Don't get me started on Nike.
I guess that rules out a 7-Eleven team bike built by Serotta, but labelled as a Huffy?
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 02-01-24, 12:27 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
I guess that rules out a 7-Eleven team bike built by Serotta, but labelled as a Huffy?
There was also the Litespeed painted as a Caloi that Armstrong rode to his WC win. Tons of other examples, too.
Old 02-01-24, 01:01 PM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10238 Post(s)
Liked 5,190 Times in 2,227 Posts
Personally because Trek financially massacred Lemond (and his Legacy) at Arm$trong's request.
It's a long story, but I lived through it. I still cherish my pre-Trek Lemond bike.
F-word every Lance fanboi who called Lemond a crybaby, or claimed Lemond ever doped. Lemond was the ONLY champion (in the history of professional cycling) who advocated for increased doping controls WHILE HE WAS WINNING.
I've seen dozens of Armstrong fanbois in this forum attack Lemond and claim "they're all dopers anyway". Eff them and eff the Treks they rode in on. Cycling was a better sport before Armstrong and Trek, and it will be a better sport once it's cleansed of both.
Thats all optics. I am sure trek regrets that today, but at the time the Armstrong Train was strong. I would hate to use political, but the Lemond buisness was small compared to the revenue Armstrong brought in.

At this point water under the bridge.
Old 02-01-24, 01:28 PM
seypat

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
I wouldn't be actively looking for one. As Eric F said tons of examples out there. Those Zunow built IMs that Dave Scott stashed around the country and rode come to mind. Lots of brands with World Champion stripes were rebadged other brands. But, back to those Huffies. Are you sure they were made by Serotta?

https://www.cyclingnews.com/features...-giro-ditalia/
Old 02-01-24, 01:52 PM
blue192

Bikes: Norco Scene 1, Khs Westwood, Jamis Allegro 3x

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 48 Posts
The issue with me is not that I dislike Trek, I just want a decent bike with reasonably higher quality components. I also dislike using a bike with carbon fiber because I tend to ride my bike hard and do not want to keep up with maintaining something like that. Trek's bikes with the level of quality I want come with at least a carbon fork if not the entire frame hence why I went with a different brand.
Old 02-01-24, 02:01 PM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Quoted: 575 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 409 Posts
I guess no Pagani's then? 3.5 mil Zonda is a no go because it has a rebranded Mercedes engine...!!
Old 02-01-24, 02:17 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

I wouldn't be actively looking for one. As Eric F said tons of examples out there. Those Zunow built IMs that Dave Scott stashed around the country and rode come to mind. Lots of brands with World Champion stripes were rebadged other brands. But, back to those Huffies. Are you sure they were made by Serotta?

https://www.cyclingnews.com/features...-giro-ditalia/
As you documented, Hampsten's was built by Land Shark. It's fairly well known that Serotta built most of the 7-Eleven bikes, branded as Murray and Huffy.... https://roadbikeaction.com/the-real-...ven-team-bikes
Old 02-01-24, 02:26 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by blue192
I also dislike using a bike with carbon fiber because I tend to ride my bike hard and do not want to keep up with maintaining something like that.
What maintenance do you think you have to do with a CF bike that you don't have to do with one built from other materials?
Old 02-01-24, 02:28 PM
seypat

I guess no Pagani's then? 3.5 mil Zonda is a no go because it has a rebranded Mercedes engine...!!
I had to look those up. Those engines clearly have Mercedes/AMG stamped on them.(They also have some Pagani markings) Like my headset example, there better be a marking of the manufacturer on there somewhere.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.