Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Jamis Coda Sport equivalent

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-23, 03:17 PM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 212 Posts

I've been looking for one of these bikes but no luck and I doubt I'll find one here locally. Elsewhere, stateside, they seem to struggle to sell for us$150 for a bike that is about 7 years old or older.

If I find one then I find one, if not then oh well. I am open to trying an equivalent ride. I heard good things about the coda for it's smoothness of ride and cost effectiveness. I've ridden the aluminum Cannondale Quick 5 with the steel fork and it sure doesn't soak up the bumps like a steel frame tends to.

What else is out there that compares to a Coda Sport in a hybrid for the same cost used?
Old 05-10-23, 11:50 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
Are you looking for used? As with any used bike it takes patience to find exactly what you are looking for, especially in your size. Buying new is a way to get exactly what you want at the very moment.

Another all steel bike like the coda would be a Novara Buzz. I don't know how the two compare in ride quality.
Old 05-11-23, 04:50 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
My Coda came from a thrift store, and is from about the year 2000. Pretty cheap. I like the double butted chromoly. I think it had a steel fork. I've mounted drop bars and changed many components.

I don't have any specific recommendations. Trek and Specialized will have hybrid models, generally in aluminum, but also carbon fiber, I think.

There are several Canadian bike companies including Rocky Mountain that would be worth looking at, but I don't know what they offer.
Old 05-11-23, 10:18 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 700 Times in 436 Posts
Not a hybrid, but my alum. road bike with a carbon fork and seatpost is very smooth. If you don't find a steel framed hybrid, you may want to test ride an alum. frame with a carbon fork and seatpost (seatpost can easily be added later). Wider tires on a bike can also be run at lower pressure, helping with a smoother ride. Might need to expand your search. EDIT--watch out for proprietary seatpost shapes, which if you need to change to carbon, could make it impossible or at least difficult to find one.

Last edited by freeranger; 05-11-23 at 10:24 AM.
Likes For freeranger:
Old 05-11-23, 01:27 PM
Kobe 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 179 Posts
Some steel hybrids are KHS Urban, Breezer Cafe, older Trek Multitracks or almost any other hybrid from the early 90's.
Old 05-11-23, 02:38 PM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Hi, I was indeed looking for used. Some of the older Hybrids are worth considering and I'd thought about them. The Coda sport is a good rider according to reviews and cheap on the used market... if you can find one. As mentioned, if used is the goal, finding one in the proper size (XXL usually) takes more time and in this marketplace, often a really long time. I'd like to see a bike no more than about 10 years old. Most newer fitness bikes can fit fat tires on them which is a nice feature. As far as carbon, I've never tried it so can't comment on whether or not it soaks up road buzz.
Old 05-12-23, 07:17 AM
Kobe 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 179 Posts
If you are looking for a true XXL than the Coda may not fit. It's largest size is a 23" frame, also the Trek Multitracks. KHS and Breezer make a steel XXL that may fit but I have never ridden one but have been looking for a used one for a long time.

When Soma put the New Albion Privateer on sale last year I decided to build my own. Probably not the most economical way to go, I had a lot of parts already on hand. But at 6'6" this frame fits perfect.

Trek does make the FX series in XXL. How tall are you?
Old 05-12-23, 04:42 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
The XXL may be a pain.

I'd expand the search beyond the local area. Or go with aluminum or whatever comes up.

Here is a CODA in NYC that might fit the bill.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/115799976367

There is a C&V Facilitators thread that could help with shipping.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ling-able.html

So, $150 for the bike. $100 or so for shipping. What would your taxes and duties be on a private shipment?

If you could find a bare frame you're excited about, that would help with the shipping, then you build to suit, or find a local donor bike.
Old 05-13-23, 07:33 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
A '90s steel hybrid will have a similar feel -- especially one with nicer tubing. Check out a Trek MultiTrack 730 or 750 -- they're relatively plentiful, they have nice tubing, they ride really well, and they're inexpensive. Being what they are, parts are plentiful and available at reasonable cost. You have lots of drivetrain upgrade options as well.

If wanting new, don't overlook Breezers. They have nice steel framesets and are available with both dropbar and flatbar options: https://www.breezerbikes.com/
Old 05-14-23, 06:14 AM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Hi, thank you for the responses on this.

I am not locked into the Coda but it just seems like a good cheap ride. There have been so many Hybrids made in the past 30 years that would fit the bill I'd say and at the same time something not too old would be nice.

@Kobe I'm 6'4 and could fit a 23" as long as the TT was the same length.

@CliffordK I definetely considered a " l'il help" shout-out in the expediter thread for a bike and actually have in the past. It is the exchange rate, postage and duty which kills all deals. It would be easier to take a pleasure trip to the USA and then buy some bikes there to bring back. So, so, so much choice down there. I haven't been stateside since 2001 though.

@hokiefyd Yes indeed, the old Multitrack series is a choice too. But, all these Hybrid bikes we're talking about in this thread are just not available in the used market up here let alone in an XL/XXL. Manitoba is a vacuum for them, which is a tad frustrating. I can't figure out the lack of presence for them here.

The Hybrid choice is about having a bike that rides comfortably, is cheap, can take a bit of a load, takes fat tires and can be propelled more easily than the current main ride which is a killer to pedal all the time every place. The search continues!