Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Thrift & Frugality - a quality or a meanness?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-23, 04:48 AM
BBB_Adrift

Bikes: PlanetX Gravel, Spa Ti Endurance, Cannondale Optimo Road, Bianchi Infinito CV, Condor 1997 Steel Road. N+1 applies.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 19 Posts

There are those who state with conviction that thrift is an admirable quality, one that all should possess. In similar vein, to be frugal is to respect mother earth's diminishing resources.
Some adopt this position from need, from lack of resource. Some from political conviction. Some from their cultural roots.
There are those who (famously, Gordon, Famously) state that greed is good and prompts development and advancement.

There must be a middle-line somewhere: those people who will harbour an eleventy-billion year old pair of socks, yet splurge on the latest hi-high carbon-frames etc. That might be me [cough].

Your anecdotes please; either introspective self-awareness or settling scores with the mean person who dissed you last decade and against whom you still harbour a grudge ;-)
Old 06-13-23, 06:27 AM
Outrider1

Bikes: Trek Emonda ALR 5

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 302 Times in 140 Posts
Old 06-13-23, 06:29 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,568 Times in 7,334 Posts
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-13-23, 06:49 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,968 Times in 4,692 Posts
OP must be inspired by the seven-year old sock guy and the “turned my jacket inside out“ guy.

This should be a good ride…
Old 06-13-23, 06:58 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,437 Times in 2,763 Posts
Not to mention Britney's underwear....
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 06-13-23, 07:11 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 06-13-23, 07:28 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
Originally Posted by BBB_Adrift
There are those who state with conviction that thrift is an admirable quality, one that all should possess. In similar vein, to be frugal is to respect mother earth's diminishing resources.
Some adopt this position from need, from lack of resource. Some from political conviction. Some from their cultural roots.
There are those who (famously, Gordon, Famously) state that greed is good and prompts development and advancement.

There must be a middle-line somewhere: those people who will harbour an eleventy-billion year old pair of socks, yet splurge on the latest hi-high carbon-frames etc. That might be me [cough].

Your anecdotes please; either introspective self-awareness or settling scores with the mean person who dissed you last decade and against whom you still harbour a grudge ;-)
Is there a connection to bicycling buried in this blather?
Old 06-13-23, 07:30 AM
BBB_Adrift

Bikes: PlanetX Gravel, Spa Ti Endurance, Cannondale Optimo Road, Bianchi Infinito CV, Condor 1997 Steel Road. N+1 applies.

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
Is there a connection to bicycling buried in this blather?
Yes. Look at the recent threads.

Then think.
Likes For BBB_Adrift:
Old 06-13-23, 07:57 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Not to mention Britney's underwear....
Well...Underwear is an "unmentionable." See what I did there?
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-13-23, 08:05 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,258 Times in 663 Posts
Hmm. I try to be efficient with my mental energy, especially negative mental energy. Anger and resentment eat away at you. Let it go, you'll be lighter and faster.

And I have a custom Dinucci bike and an Alex Singer randonneur built in Paris for me. So I guess that frugality thing is out the window

/markp
Likes For mpetry912:
Old 06-13-23, 08:16 AM
BBB_Adrift

Originally Posted by mpetry912
Hmm. I try to be efficient with my mental energy, especially negative mental energy. Anger and resentment eat away at you. Let it go, you'll be lighter and faster.

And I have a custom Dinucci bike and an Alex Singer randonneur built in Paris for me. So I guess that frugality thing is out the window

/markp
Dinucci I do not know, but Singer is well-loved in France; rightly so, especially for those who are not enamoured of Carbon. Congrats for having no lingering hatred. I only harbour hatred for one person - and that's 50+ years ingrained. Wont be letting that go any time soon.
Old 06-13-23, 08:19 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3953 Post(s)
Liked 7,299 Times in 2,947 Posts
I only harbour hatred for one person - and that's 50+ years ingrained. Wont be letting that go any time soon.
A therapist could help you with that self loathing.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 06-13-23, 08:19 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
Hand knitted in Alpaca wool, with extra Cushioning at the ball and apex of the foot. Just the right size as one foot is slightly larger then the other...
I'll take um in Orange please... Oh Yeah!

etsy
Old 06-13-23, 08:26 AM
BBB_Adrift

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
A therapist could help you with that self loathing.
True, but then I'd have no cause celebre. It keeps me young and keen!
Old 06-13-23, 08:32 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,961 Times in 944 Posts
Always thought a frugal manager making the most out of available resources was a highly sought after skill in business circles?
A friend of mine is on disability and learned how to make the most out of her monthly allotment out of necessity.
Old 06-13-23, 09:56 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
I guess the middle ground could be spending countless hours on the net researching the lowest price available for that high end frame/groupset/bling/jersey/etc a person's just got have. Or not.
Old 06-13-23, 10:05 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2976 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 771 Posts
Yes. Look at the recent threads.

Then think.
Or just put the pipe down.
Likes For prj71:
Old 06-13-23, 10:11 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
Um...yes I am aware that I spend more than 'needed' on some things while spending less on other things. And a lot of the decision making is based on what I value at the time as well as what it is I am purchasing.

I dont buy fast fashion and keep clothes for a long time. As a result, I dont buy frequently, but do often spend more on some clothing I have found to last a long time and fits well. Conversely, I bet I could find plenty of slob fit tshirts at Goodwill for $3 each.
I love to rebuild old bike frames with modern components- love the process and the ability to bring something unused back to life and modern. But I largely dislike old drivetrain styles. Conversely, I just finished a singlespeed last night that uses an early 70s 531 Peugeot road frame that I got for free.
There is no reason for someone to always choose thrift or to always splurge. Each purchase is allowed to be its own standalone decision.

I cant think of anyone over the years that I still harbor a grudge against because they 'dissed' me. I am an adult, I dont allow my life to work in that way.
Old 06-13-23, 11:31 AM
Calsun
Banned

Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
Greed is responsible for all the misery where we have billionaires and people living in tents in the USA. Greed is the motivation for all wars even if the perpetrators pretend otherwise. Soldiers learn this ealy on and other than the 2% that are psychopaths they develop PTSD within 60 days of combat as they experience first hand the disconnect between what they were told and what they are experiencing first hand.

I try to minimize my carbon footprint as much as possible and have altered my lifestyle as a result. I have cut out all air travel and reduced my meat consumption by 90%. I avoid buying any products in plastic packaging as 95% of recyled plastic ends up being incinerated or in the local landfill.

One does what one can but I have long felt like someone in one of the lifeboats who is watching the Titanic slowly sink beneath the water while all around me are people who were not provided with a lifeboat and so they are slowly freezing to death one by one.
Likes For Calsun:
Old 06-13-23, 11:43 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Calsun
Greed is responsible for all the misery where we have billionaires and people living in tents in the USA.
Any billionaires living in tents must be glamping.

I have ridden near this place a few times, and i know a woman whose brother was the sous chef there. Might still be. You don't have to be a billionaire to afford it, but it would help.

https://theranchatrockcreek.com/accommodation/glamping/
Old 06-13-23, 11:56 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,098 Times in 3,833 Posts
I like buying high-end products for mid-level prices, because I enjoy and appreciate the quality and performance, but I'm realistic about what my income level can tolerate.
Old 06-13-23, 12:06 PM
Cdubs

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 15 Posts
I prefer quality and to buy something that will last me a while. That doesn't always mean it's expensive. I have seen absolute garbage for sale with a high price tag and amazing quality for cheap. Each purchase is a chance to exercise your values in relation to capitalism and social responsibility.
Likes For Cdubs:
Old 06-13-23, 12:10 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,437 Times in 2,763 Posts
Originally Posted by Calsun
Greed is responsible for all the misery where we have billionaires and people living in tents in the USA. Greed is the motivation for all wars even if the perpetrators pretend otherwise. Soldiers learn this ealy on and other than the 2% that are psychopaths they develop PTSD within 60 days of combat as they experience first hand the disconnect between what they were told and what they are experiencing first hand.

I try to minimize my carbon footprint as much as possible and have altered my lifestyle as a result. I have cut out all air travel and reduced my meat consumption by 90%. I avoid buying any products in plastic packaging as 95% of recyled plastic ends up being incinerated or in the local landfill.

One does what one can but I have long felt like someone in one of the lifeboats who is watching the Titanic slowly sink beneath the water while all around me are people who were not provided with a lifeboat and so they are slowly freezing to death one by one.
Electronic devices would be another easy place to cut back.
Old 06-13-23, 12:22 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10436 Post(s)
Liked 11,912 Times in 6,100 Posts
Anyone brought up The Paradox Of Thrift yet? Okay.

We generally recognize thrift as an individual virtue - not buying things you don't need, making do with what you have, making it last as long as possible, saving your money.

However, in order to feed, clothe, and house the population, you need enough economic activity to provide jobs for everyone. Economic activity = some people make stuff, some people do stuff, some people sell stuff, other people pay for that stuff. People buying goods and services is where jobs come from. The more goods and services people buy, the more jobs there are, and the more people can afford to buy goods and services.

So, if EVERYONE cut back on their purchases, only ever bought what they really needed, made do with less, and saved their money, a whole lot of people would be out of work. What is individually virtuous may be catastrophic at the level of the whole economy.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 06-13-23, 12:23 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2976 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 771 Posts
I don't think I'm reducing my carbon footprint with a V8 truck and V6 SUV.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.