Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Rare, cool or just plain obscure - post pics of the jewels in your parts collections

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Rare, cool or just plain obscure - post pics of the jewels in your parts collections

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-12, 11:18 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,827 Times in 1,709 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
Cannot see why you would ever consider trading those TA pedals for anything... would be hard pressed to find a more exquisitely built pedal than these.
Honestly, I have held both Barellis and now these TAs in my hands and the Barellis look and feel just that bit better constructed and finished. The Barelli's bearings are most assuredly smoother (although to be fair, these TAs have been in a box for a long time...).

Just me, I guess

BTW, I love the minimalist design of your Berthets - in particular, the neatly-designed kick-tab.

DD
Old 05-25-12, 11:23 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
Honestly, I have held both Barellis and now these TAs in my hands and the Barellis look and feel just that bit better constructed and finished. The Barelli's bearings are most assuredly smoother (although to be fair, these TAs have been in a box for a long time...).

Just me, I guess

BTW, I love the minimalist design of your Berthets - in particular, the neatly-designed kick-tab.

DD
The kick tab on the Berthet pedal is marvelous...
Old 05-26-12, 06:17 AM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked 730 Times in 353 Posts
This is my french Lionrone saddle. I think its 1950's vintage. The quality of the leather is amazing.

Old 05-26-12, 06:24 AM
sloar 

Bikes: they change so much I'm tired of updating this

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 1,132 Times in 430 Posts
there should be a choice for parts that cause headaches, anyone want to help sort these?
Old 05-26-12, 06:41 AM
CV-6 
If I own it, I ride it

Bikes: Lejeune(14), Raleigh, Raysport, Jan De Reus, Gazelle, Masi, B. Carré(4), Springfield, Greg Lemond, Andre Bertin, Schwinn Paramount

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 593 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 312 Posts
NOS/NIB Spidel 105bis

Lynn Travers

Photos

Old 05-26-12, 07:30 AM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3016 Post(s)
Liked 3,813 Times in 1,412 Posts
Originally Posted by Roll-Monroe-Co
To shift, the rider would first loosen the rear wheel's quick release (remember, this is done while riding!). Then, the other lever would be turned to move the chain from one cog to the other -- as it moved, the rear wheel would move forward (when shifting to the larger cog) or backward (shifting to the smaller cog). When the shift was complete, the quick release was tightened again.

It also should be mentioned that since the derailleur is in front of the freewheel, the rider is required to back pedal to shift gears.
Old 05-26-12, 07:48 AM
iab

Shifting a Cambio Corsa

Shifting a Paris Roubaix

Old 05-26-12, 08:06 AM
Grand Bois

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 26 Posts
The former owner of my T.A. road pedals trimmed the cages to suit his wide feet and that's fine with me.

The chrome Record triple came from Hilary Stone. I don't like the way the edges of the flutes got rounded off when it was polished.

Old 05-26-12, 08:18 AM
marley mission
people's champ

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
very cool videos - i'm gonna ask a stupid question - by loosening the QR i see that the wheel obviously moves - are there issues with wheel alignment upon closing the QR - it looks like it probably takes some getting used to - but very very cool shifting
Old 05-26-12, 08:22 AM
ColonelJLloyd 

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by marley mission
very cool videos - i'm gonna ask a stupid question - by loosening the QR i see that the wheel obviously moves - are there issues with wheel alignment upon closing the QR - it looks like it probably takes some getting used to - but very very cool shifting
I wondered this too. Note that the dropouts aren't smooth, but have "teeth". This and some physics keep it working correctly, I guess. I'm sure it takes some skill.
Old 05-26-12, 08:28 AM
iab

As the Colonel wrote, there are "teeth" in the axle. That way it won't twist in the dropouts.

Old 05-26-12, 08:51 AM
IthaDan 

Bikes: Click on the #YOLO

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
As the Colonel wrote, there are "teeth" in the axle. That way it won't twist in the dropouts.

I was going to ask about the braking, but I see the seatstay is centered on the dropout, probably wasn't as big an issue as it seems.

Shimano : Click :: Campy : Snap :: SRAM : Bang
Old 05-26-12, 09:51 AM
marley mission
people's champ

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by iab

ah - cool cool
Old 05-26-12, 09:59 AM
Gary Fountain

Bikes: Colnago (82, 85, 89, 90, 91, 96, 03), 85 Cinelli, 90 Rossin, 83 Alan, 82 Bianchi, 78 Fountain, 2 x Pinarello, Malvern Star (37), Hillman (70's), 80's Beretto Lo-Pro Track, 80's Kenevans Lo-Pro, Columbus Max (95), DeGrandi (80's) Track.

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 200 Times in 124 Posts
Campy pneumatic 'Electra' saddle:

Old 05-26-12, 10:03 AM
Gary Fountain

Bikes: Colnago (82, 85, 89, 90, 91, 96, 03), 85 Cinelli, 90 Rossin, 83 Alan, 82 Bianchi, 78 Fountain, 2 x Pinarello, Malvern Star (37), Hillman (70's), 80's Beretto Lo-Pro Track, 80's Kenevans Lo-Pro, Columbus Max (95), DeGrandi (80's) Track.

Weinmann Delta brakes:

Old 05-26-12, 10:10 AM
Gary Fountain

60mm c to c Bianchi - 1953 vintage. Shown against a 560mm c to c 1954 Bianchi.

Old 05-26-12, 11:07 AM
marley mission
people's champ

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary Fountain
60mm c to c Bianchi - 1953 vintage. Shown against a 560mm c to c 1954 Bianchi.

awesome - but we can see some more pics of the big guy - dont leave us high and dry like that
Old 05-26-12, 11:37 AM
divineAndbright

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary Fountain
Weinmann Delta brakes:

Cool. I gather they were intended to be aero dynamic, looks like they would do the opposite and create extra drag being so big and blocky compared to a normal caliper!
Old 05-26-12, 11:51 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

My "cosmetically-challenged" Campy 41 tooth ring:

Front side is correctly marked and completely anodized.

The back side is not anodized; furthermore, there are faint impressions of "41" and <C> stampings - reversed - which do not mirror-image (location-wise) their counterparts on the front side of the ring.

The reversed <C> marking:

The reversed "41" marking:

I wish I could figure out how this happened during the manufacturing process. This is only the third Campy QC issue I've ever come across.

DD
Old 05-26-12, 12:28 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,297 Times in 866 Posts
I wish I could figure out how this happened during the manufacturing process. This is only the third Campy QC issue I've ever come across.DD
It appears that the same anvil surface was used for both the flattening/forging of the ring as for the stamping of the 41 and logo.
The anvil surface thus became worn with the stamped impressions, which transferred backward onto the ring's back side as subsequent rings were stamped flat.

Perhaps even the stamp occasionally hit the anvil with no chainring in place, which would morer readily impress the digits into the harder metal.
Since most rings got polished/anodized on both sides after stamping, the faint impressions might normally get polished off.

These imperfections testify to the involvement of workers doing small-batch craftsmanship, as opposed to more automated processes. It also suggests that Campag's QC persons were working nearly as rapidly as the workers at the production stations.

With today's more-automated mfg processes, QC is simplified somewhat by the ability to identify most problems by first examining only the first and last pieces of a production run, with fewer defects being expected to be found within the bulk of the production run if those first and last pieces are found to be free of defects.
In older facilities, there were humans more involved at all times during the production "run", thus the ever-present possibility to introduce random errors.
And, to the extent that the region's wine is relatively good, an even greater possibility.

Last edited by dddd; 05-26-12 at 12:37 PM.
Old 05-26-12, 01:08 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,398 Times in 2,093 Posts
The back side is not anodized; furthermore, there are faint impressions of "41" and <C> stampings - reversed - which do not mirror-image (location-wise) their counterparts on the front side of the ring.
It looks as if the stamping was hard enough to have left a slight impression on the back of the ring.

Could be that it was anodized and found to be too wide for normal tolerances, with the consequence that they machined the rear of the ring and left it like that.

EDIT: Dddd's explanation is superior.

-Kurt

Old 05-26-12, 01:49 PM
Charles Wahl
Disraeli Gears

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 214 Posts
My "cosmetically-challenged" Campy 41 tooth ring
Not much potential for drillium there, DD! Nice piece though. I recently got a 41T/144 BCD TA ring (newish vintage NOS).
Old 05-26-12, 03:18 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3597 Post(s)
Liked 3,420 Times in 1,945 Posts
No, the hub axle and dropouts use a "rack and pinion" arrangement to keep things aligned.

Old 05-26-12, 05:59 PM
Shaneferd

Bikes: Bike(s)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here's a fun bit of foolishness, in case the Cambio principle wasn't enough to wrap the noodle around...

Behold, the Cambio Topollino!

Reputed to be so rare it probably shouldn't exist.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Cambio Topollino.jpg (19.3 KB, 117 views)
Old 05-26-12, 07:42 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by dddd
It appears that the same anvil surface was used for both the flattening/forging of the ring as for the stamping of the 41 and logo.
The anvil surface thus became worn with the stamped impressions, which transferred backward onto the ring's back side as subsequent rings were stamped flat.

Perhaps even the stamp occasionally hit the anvil with no chainring in place, which would morer readily impress the digits into the harder metal.
Since most rings got polished/anodized on both sides after stamping, the faint impressions might normally get polished off.

These imperfections testify to the involvement of workers doing small-batch craftsmanship, as opposed to more automated processes. It also suggests that Campag's QC persons were working nearly as rapidly as the workers at the production stations.
Ah - I see what you mean; without having any clue as to the actual process of chainring manufacture, I was at a loss to explain this anomaly. Thanks for providing your theory - it sounds completely plausible to me and I'm going to use it to explain the defect away one day when I ask for $1000 in my Ebay listing.

Kurt: I had thought the same thing, but when I turn the ring over to the front side, both the "41" and <C> markings do not correspond to the locations of the faint marks on the backside.

Here is the last of my little collection; the hubs aren't yet on a bike because I only received them from Kurt about two weeks ago.

OMAS hub set with alloy/nylon skewer end nuts:

And the obligatory set of Mathauser brake pads; I've got interesting plans for these:

DD

Last edited by Drillium Dude; 05-26-12 at 08:28 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.