Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

For fitness does the bike really matter?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

For fitness does the bike really matter?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-22, 01:47 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by cjenrick
as long as both bikes are fitted with a specialized power comp with mimic then calories burned will be the same.

. and remember, if you climb a hill and coast back down, your net work will be zero as per the conservation of energy principle.so do your climb, and when you get to the top, call uber, and you will have your gravitational potential energy restored to a net 30.
How can you net zero work if you do any work?
Going downhill is negative work?
Old 02-19-22, 03:09 AM
Nozipho

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Apparently, yes bike and fitness goes hand in hand.
Old 02-19-22, 05:41 AM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked 813 Times in 410 Posts
Yes, in many ways. First, the bike you get must fit you well. If you can ride your bike comfortably, you will probably ride it more. Second, some bikes are more user friendly than others. Though all bikes of certain types are basically the same, and different brands use the same driveline parts, some are easier to operate than others. Some people can use the full range of gears available on new bikes, some people use only a few, some never shift gears at all. Integrated shifters/brake levers are easier for most, others, oddly (which describes me), find downtube shifters better. Thirdly, some bikes are sexy, and inspire you to ride them, and they never say “no.”
Old 02-19-22, 06:40 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer

I have always defined "fitness" as that combination of strength, flexibility, aerobic conditioning, and freedom from chronic injury that allows the hypothetically "fit" person to enjoy various physical pursuits in life
Yep that's a pretty good definition of fitness and I agree with you on that one.....Unfortunately most cyclists and gym goers misunderstand what fitness really is. To them fitness means hitting certain numbers on their strava and power meter or lifting certain amount of weight in the gym
Old 02-19-22, 06:44 AM
wolfchild
Banned

...all threads on the topic of "fitness" eventually end up at FTP and watts.
People who obsess about FTP and watts don't realize that fitness has nothing to do with FTP and watts.
Old 02-19-22, 06:58 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by wolfchild
Yep that's a pretty good definition of fitness and I agree with you on that one.....Unfortunately most cyclists and gym goers misunderstand what fitness really is. To them fitness means hitting certain numbers on their strava and power meter or lifting certain amount of weight in the gym

They're not wrong, they're just using a different definition and measure of fitness than you or me. Like most words, "fitness" has multiple definitions.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 02-19-22, 07:05 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

People who obsess about FTP and watts don't realize that fitness has nothing to do with FTP and watts.

BS. Any time people argue about "fitness", they seem to forget the question " fitness for what?" We have different goals and different ways of motivating ourselves. If people find those numbers useful, who are you to tell them they're wrong? Why are you always so anxious to tell everyone else they're doing it wrong?

​​​​​​
Old 02-19-22, 07:10 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

...I have always defined "fitness" as that combination of strength, flexibility, aerobic conditioning, and freedom from chronic injury that allows the hypothetically "fit" person to enjoy various physical pursuits in life to the best of his/her naturally endowed athletic gifts like reaction time and agility. I might be wrong, because god knows I've spent considerable time on the injured/disabled list in the course of my adventures. I once couldn't ride a bicycle for five years. Not didn't, but couldn't. When I did start again, the only bike I had remaining was a Raleigh 3 speed Sports...all the other, "better" bikes had been given away as too painful to look at.

But I do have a much wider view of fitness as a concept than what I can or cannot maintain on a bicycle. If all I did was cycling to maintain fitness, I'd be one twisted knot of painful, tight muscles, with a wonderful FTP for my age group*.

*(When you're old enough that you have to add "for my age group" to fitness statements, maximum fitness is just a memory, much of which might be imaginary.)

Yes, having suffered from a debilitating foot and ankle condition, my first rule of personal fitness is don't injure myself working out. "Sidelining" makes maintenance of a decent fitness baseline really hard.
Old 02-19-22, 07:35 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
You are mostly wrong, as usual.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 02-19-22, 08:11 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by cjenrick
. and remember, if you climb a hill and coast back down, your net work will be zero as per the conservation of energy principle.
That is only with respect to the work done against gravity, as gravity is a conservative force.

The work done against air drag, surface impedance (tires and surface roughness) and drivetrain friction is all non-conservative and accumulates over all riding routes.

Otto
Old 02-19-22, 08:26 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Not everyone who is aware of FTP and comfortable with calculating or measuring watts or other quantities is obsessed with them. My bikes are both SS and my main fitness goal is to ride them with abandon.

OTOH, having spent this month working out in the gym with one of our kids, I have a pretty good handle on the power I can produce at various levels of exertion.

Otto
Old 02-19-22, 08:30 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
How do you define cycling fitness?
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 02-19-22, 08:43 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,960 Times in 943 Posts
For myself, fitness without other underlying goals is boring.
Might as well go to a gym or ride on a trainer.

For instance, I like to start most of my rides from home. In order to ride in the local mountains or to the beach, I will have 40 additional miles (there and back) before arriving at the foot of the San Gabriel Mtns or Seal Beach. The fitness required to complete these 6-8 hour rides at a 14 mph pace on a 29er, or 17 mph on a lighter road bike, is demanding. So the bike does matter in my example. Distance, time, perceived effort, equipment and nutrition all have to be considered.

On a 30 minute ride in the OP's example, bike choice does not matter much unless I was riding a Big Wheel.
Old 02-19-22, 09:13 AM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked 1,063 Times in 535 Posts
Not really, as long as the bike fits you properly, and you actually ride it.
Tim
Old 02-19-22, 09:26 AM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 247 Posts
Fitness and health are different. OP asked about fitness. For health, which is a wonderful thing, being able to do 12mph on an MTB could be a significant marker for some. Basic good health should come before fitness. But.

A couple of friends asked me to accompany them and help them through their first century ride. I was skeptical but agreed. We didn’t use the rest stops on the route, we used the taverns. First stop they were thrilled to find a spot open on a Sunday morning. I had a beer. It was a hot day and that beer was with me all day. My friends had Bloody Marys. There were four more taverns en route. I had water. The lunch stop had decent burgers. For my friends it was stiff mixed drinks every time. Shall we say these were not healthy people?

They did amaze me with their fitness. 100 miles in 8 hours flat with two hours of that on a barstool. Our riding pace was 15-18mph. Flat route with very moderate hills. They got up the hills fine. Had I had even one mixed drink I’d have been out of the picture. Fitness and health are different.

More recently I did a birthday ride with a friend who had turned 88. Moderate most of the way. At conclusion I let loose and did a little rush up a tiny hill. Thought I took off sharp enough to drop my friend cold. Nope. He was right on my wheel. His power meter said he had peaked at 380 watts. Just for a moment, but recorded. He’s very thin, maybe 120#. Previous forty miles I’d mostly been thinking he was doing pretty darn good just to be there. No idea he still had that sort of fitness. He’s a hypochondriac and always talking about his health issues. I’d say he is healthy and fit.
Old 02-19-22, 10:17 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Originally Posted by WhyFi
How do you define cycling fitness?
My main fitness goal is an " all around fitness ". I am not interested in focusing only on bike specific fitness, but since you asked...Which cycling fitness are we talking about here ??

Mountain biking ??
Track sprinting ??
Long distance endurance riding ??
Loaded touring ??

All of the above require different adaptations.
Old 02-19-22, 10:20 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Originally Posted by 63rickert
You are accusing me of lying.
I find your scenario unbelievable. Of course you’ve accused me of either being weak, stupid, or both.

We were all on knobs. More than half of us had never raced. None had ever advanced beyond Cat3. None had ever won a race. 30mph was routine. That would happen into the wind. At 10 degrees. On snow and ice. It was a spirited ride. Do you know what a spirited ride is? You stayed attached or you got to freeze alone.

Many many other occasions when 90s MTB tires, which were all junk, went way over 30 on the flat with this undistinguished rider pushing the pedals.
It gets better and better. Was it uphill both ways?

You have no idea what speed feels like.
30 mph on the flats on a knob tired mountain bike? Nope. I have no idea what that speed feels like because that kind of speed on the flats (into the wind, at sub freezing temperatures, uphill both ways, etc) strains credulity . ofagen above said that the power output is 700W. I calculated it out as closer to 900W. The hour record is 32mph…on a track…on smooth tires…under warm conditions…on a feather weight bike…on an aerodynamic bike.

Again, go ahead and pull the other one.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 02-19-22, 10:23 AM
Virtus

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
For myself, fitness without other underlying goals is boring.
Might as well go to a gym or ride on a trainer.

For instance, I like to start most of my rides from home. In order to ride in the local mountains or to the beach, I will have 40 additional miles (there and back) before arriving at the foot of the San Gabriel Mtns or Seal Beach. The fitness required to complete these 6-8 hour rides at a 14 mph pace on a 29er, or 17 mph on a lighter road bike, is demanding. So the bike does matter in my example. Distance, time, perceived effort, equipment and nutrition all have to be considered.

On a 30 minute ride in the OP's example, bike choice does not matter much unless I was riding a Big Wheel.
Biking to me is just as much about getting outside as it is fitness. I have two toddlers, I work from home, I lift in my garage gym, and my other form of cardio is a C2 rower.

We don't have mountains here but the beach is only 4 miles away by road.
Old 02-19-22, 10:25 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by livedarklions
Just an aside, and I don't know how this might or might not matter, but the object our body is moving isn't actually the bike, it's the crank, right?. If that's correct, I don't know what constitutes the distance variable, but it's definitely not miles the bike travels.
Work is moving an object. In this case it would be the system. The mechanics used to move it doesn’t matter.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 02-19-22, 10:25 AM
WhyFi

My main fitness goal is an " all around fitness ". I am not interested in focusing only on bike specific fitness, but since you asked...Which cycling fitness are we talking about here ??

Mountain biking ??
Track sprinting ??
Long distance endurance riding ??
Loaded touring ??

All of the above require different adaptations.
So pick one and give us your definition of cycling fitness for that discipline.
Old 02-19-22, 10:30 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by cyccommute
Work is moving an object. In this case it would be the system. The mechanics used to move it doesn’t matter.
It's like each post demonstrates that you know just enough to be very wrong.
Old 02-19-22, 10:34 AM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by 63rickert
You really don’t ride much, do you?
Nope I never ride

Wind resistance @ 6mph? You have a sensitive meter to find that.
It does’t matter how sensitive the meter is. Wind resistance can be measured at any speed. I said it was “discernible”, as in “able to detect; perceptible”. If you are walking your bike out of your garage and feel the air moving across your face, that’s wind resistance.

Old 02-19-22, 10:40 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Originally Posted by WhyFi
So pick one and give us your definition of cycling fitness for that discipline.
I am comfortable performing all of the above disciplines for recreational purposes and for personal enjoyment... I have no interest in splitting hairs about the meaning or chasing numbers and comparing myself to others.
Old 02-19-22, 10:49 AM
WhyFi

I am comfortable performing all of the above disciplines for recreational purposes and for personal enjoyment... I have no interest in splitting hairs about the meaning or chasing numbers and comparing myself to others.
So don't compare yourself to others. Compare yourself to yourself. Under your definition of "cycling fitness," and under whichever discipline that you choose, would you say that there have been times where you've been more fit and times where you've been less fit?
Old 02-19-22, 10:59 AM
morecommas

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Comfort is the most important thing. Also, you don't want to push around too much of a lunker or you'll hate the training and be much less likely to do it again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.