Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum
Reload this Page >

Aid for Getting On & Off Bike

Search
Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-22, 06:22 AM
jolly_codger

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 150 Times in 67 Posts

Has anyone come up with (or know of) a DIY step or platform to help getting on & off the bike easier when it's mounted in a wheel-on trainer? I am an older cyclist and developing develop hip issues make swinging a leg over a 3" higher top tube a real challenge (especially after a long, draining Zwift ride). Before posting this I did search on a variety of terms on Google and on this sub-forum along with the Fifty Plus sub-forum and came up empty, so any help/suggestions will be very much appreciated.
~John
PS I also posted this in the Fifty Plus sub-forum.

Last edited by jolly_codger; 11-05-22 at 06:23 AM. Reason: forgot to mention something
Old 11-05-22, 09:02 AM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1144 Post(s)
Liked 1,187 Times in 690 Posts
when i used rollers that made the bike higher than normal for me. i used to put a tool box next to the bike so i could stand on it then get on the bike. maybe you can try somethign like that? i'm thinkjing somethign like a cinder block?
Old 11-05-22, 09:43 AM
tgot 

Bikes: 1986 Centurion Ironman, 1997 Trek 2120, Trek T1000

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 119 Posts
Stepstool.

I have a DIY freeride roller setup, and the bike is a good 5-6" higher off the floor than normal. I can get on and off, using a wall to stabilize, but it isn't easy.

A stepstool, with step nearest the bike and the handle there also, is a huge help. I've got a fairly sturdy one like https://www.acehardware.com/departme...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

I've thought about just a small stool, no handle, and maybe 6" high as taking less space and something I could leave in place.

Maybe I'll try the cinder block idea, though. I've got two I could put on either side of the setup.
Old 11-05-22, 09:50 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 982 Post(s)
Liked 1,646 Times in 1,057 Posts
As a kid I used to take the bike over to the curb to get on it and then jump off it when stopping. I have been preparing for my future arthritic limitations by purchasing an old Mixti to rebuild. I think if ya need something to mount and dismount your current bike then you probably need another bike... So Sad... I feel for ya...
Old 11-05-22, 10:47 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 4475 Post(s)
Liked 4,948 Times in 3,058 Posts
Why not go with the obvious i.e. step ladder, fitness stepper or just a random box of some kind? Just looking around my study I can see 5 or six box-like objects that would achieve this goal.
Old 11-05-22, 12:01 PM
streetsurfer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 294 Times in 155 Posts
If you need something high and stable with more platform room, perhaps one of these scaffold type step ladders.
This would give me the most security if injured, or recovering from surgery/in therapy, and needing to get on and off carefully.
Old 11-05-22, 03:38 PM
Ed Wiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 79 Posts
I bought this for my Kickr bike after I put it on a rocker plate. It was too high for step stool I used with my rollers. Added some grip strip to the steps.

Bee Neat 2 Step Small Folding Stool Ladder for Office, Garage, Library, Closet, Bathroom, Porch, & More – Collapsible Step Stool Ladder Ideal for Adults, Seniors & Kids – Can Support up to 300lbs https://a.co/d/hKASAzL
Old 11-06-22, 11:06 AM
jolly_codger

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 150 Times in 67 Posts
Some good ideas, thank you all! I think I will search out a step stool (or google for DIY step stool plans) and that should do the trick along with Ed Wiser's grip strip idea.
Old 11-14-22, 02:16 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4247 Post(s)
Liked 2,957 Times in 1,815 Posts
I use something like this:

Available in a variety of heights at just about any hardware/variety store/amazon for under $20.
Old 11-15-22, 08:10 AM
La Tortue

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
A mid, low, or even trike recumbent will not only solve the mounting problem but the comfort level will increase also. This will not only keep you safe but allow for longer sessions.