Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Does the bike really make a difference?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Does the bike really make a difference?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-24, 06:02 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,968 Times in 4,692 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
You posted late last year that you were 60. So either that or possibly 61.
Wow! I’ve got my own personal internet fan/stalker! That’s cool.

I just don’t understand how that explains your inability to understand why that whole ‘steel must be comparable or inferior’ thing is so weirdly off-base. But then, non-sequiturs and changing the subject are kind of your thing.

At any rate, I think indyfabz has the right idea. You’re unworthy of interaction with someone as old and wise as me. ‘bye now.
Old 03-14-24, 10:05 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,836 Times in 2,229 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
On the Bike Forums, all roads lead to Steel and Vintage.
And after we vintage out, hopefully........it's wings and unobtanium frames with turbo legs for un-Dogly speed.
Old 03-14-24, 10:15 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,836 Times in 2,229 Posts
IDK,... sometimes carbon and brifters.
and don't forget your readers.
Old 03-15-24, 10:15 AM
zymphad

Bikes: Super Cheap gc3 approved Bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 30 Posts
On Road Cycling it all leads to constantly worrying about having the latest and asking when the next iteration of innovation no one asked for is being released
Likes For zymphad:
Old 03-15-24, 10:26 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
Originally Posted by zymphad
On Road Cycling it all leads to constantly worrying about having the latest and asking when the next iteration of innovation no one asked for is being released
Well, people would want to talk about what is new in a sport regarding all aspects of advancement and exploring new areas. What is left to discuss about bikes, which were identical for almost 30 years between the late '60s to the '90s? They looked alike, rode alike and performed alike. If you like old stuff, that's good for you. It's plentiful, cheap and getting cheaper.
Old 03-15-24, 10:30 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26425 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
Getting dropped from group rides has never made me feel cool.
...interesting. I have experienced the opposite a couple of times. Sometimes, it's more of an adventure when you lose the group. Must be a YMMV issue. I do think this group ride fixation has a lot to do with all the petty squabbling that goes on in here. nttawwt
Old 03-15-24, 10:31 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

What is left to discuss about bikes, which were identical for almost 30 years between the late '60s to the '90s? They looked alike, rode alike and performed alike...
Old 03-15-24, 10:34 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by Koyote
You’re unworthy of interaction with someone as old and wise as me. ....
...fer sure I am unworthy. I would have to work all day, and far into the night, to keep up with your level of vitriol. But you have that sig line to keep up with, so there's a reputational burden imposed.
Old 03-15-24, 10:42 AM
zymphad

What is left to discuss about bikes, which were identical for almost 30 years between the late '60s to the '90s? They looked alike, rode alike and performed alike. If you like old stuff, that's good for you. It's plentiful, cheap and getting cheaper.
Just my opinion but the videos and discussions of the bikes that changed a lot and history of the bikes from 60s, to the 90s is lot more fun and interesting than about reading someone saving 0.5 watts with integrated handlebar, and 2 watts waxing their chain every 200 miles and 2 watts on hookless rims.
Likes For zymphad:
Old 03-15-24, 10:53 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Just my opinion but the videos and discussions of the bikes that changed a lot and history of the bikes from 60s, to the 90s is lot more fun and interesting than about reading someone saving 0.5 watts with integrated handlebar, and 2 watts waxing their chain every 200 miles and 2 watts on hookless rims.
...i'm kinda in the same boat, except on the hookless rims thing. The recent instances of public rider outcry on whether they are dangerous has been of interest. The dueling narratives of, "the damn things come apart while racing," versus the manufacturing narrative of, "they're perfectly OK if you don't hit a rock, and use them within the tire and rim compatibility, inflation pressures as prescribed," impresses me with all the concerns for rider safety.

But only from the riders.
Old 03-15-24, 11:01 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 772 Times in 404 Posts
The roads of my life may be leading to steel and vintage, or at least steel.

My Emonda is hooked up to the trainer - deeper CF wheels, lighter bike... my CF TCX is hanging on the wall and hasn't been moved all spring... been riding my heavier, rim brake 23 year old steelie and setting PB's, smashing PB's, on just about every segment I frequent. Shallow heavy wheels, 28mms stuffed onto narrow rims, slow round tubes...

And - the ride is much much smoother than both of the other bikes.
Old 03-15-24, 11:03 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4955 Post(s)
Liked 8,097 Times in 3,832 Posts
It turns out that we all have different interests, and different things that spark our curiosity...and that's totally okay.
Old 03-15-24, 11:09 AM
zymphad

Originally Posted by Jughed
The roads of my life may be leading to steel and vintage, or at least steel.

My Emonda is hooked up to the trainer - deeper CF wheels, lighter bike... my CF TCX is hanging on the wall and hasn't been moved all spring... been riding my heavier, rim brake 23 year old steelie and setting PB's, smashing PB's, on just about every segment I frequent. Shallow heavy wheels, 28mms stuffed onto narrow rims, slow round tubes...

And - the ride is much much smoother than both of the other bikes.
It's interesting to see that the new innovations have made bikes more uncomfortable. Aero and tube shaping requires the carbon to be more rigid and stiff. Hydraulic brakes forced wheels and hubs to be reinforced with more spokes to withstand force on rotors. Forks are more reinforced on both sides to make them even to address again, the force on the disc brakes. All these things have made the modern bike less comfortable than a vintage steel. It's interesting to see how cycling is going backwards and yet marketed so well as positives. People should ask more why 23mm on steel is more comfortable than 30mm on latest carbon.

And yeah I too have a latest carbon, but I think my road next year will lead back to steel as well, because I'm not as interested in super stiff rigid aero bike with super stiff fork and more rigid wheels.
Old 03-15-24, 11:16 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 772 Times in 404 Posts
It's interesting to see that the new innovations have made bikes more uncomfortable. Aero and tube shaping requires the carbon to be more rigid and stiff. Hydraulic brakes forced wheels and hubs to be reinforced with more spokes to withstand force on rotors. Forks are more reinforced on both sides to make them even to address again, the force on the disc brakes. All these things have made the modern bike less comfortable than a vintage steel. It's interesting to see how cycling is going backwards and yet marketed so well as positives. People should ask more why 23mm on steel is more comfortable than 30mm on latest carbon.

And yeah I too have a latest carbon, but I think my road next year will lead back to steel as well, because I'm not as interested in super stiff rigid aero bike with super stiff fork and more rigid wheels.
I'm headed to the French Alps in a few months - I rented a CF Colnago, decked out with DI2, CF wheels... a high $$$$$ bike. It will be interesting to see what $8-10 grand gets you over my old steelie, or even my newer bikes. Time/speed wont be a concern with me, just comfort.

Maybe I will be blown away and come back with N+1 fever... but it better be a hell of a fever to make me drop that kind of coin.
Old 03-15-24, 11:17 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...interesting. I have experienced the opposite a couple of times. Sometimes, it's more of an adventure when you lose the group. Must be a YMMV issue. I do think this group ride fixation has a lot to do with all the petty squabbling that goes on in here. nttawwt
I suppose it varies with location, the type of group ride, and one's own outlook.
Old 03-15-24, 11:21 AM
zymphad

Originally Posted by Jughed
I'm headed to the French Alps in a few months - I rented a CF Colnago, decked out with DI2, CF wheels... a high $$$$$ bike. It will be interesting to see what $8-10 grand gets you over my old steelie, or even my newer bikes. Time/speed wont be a concern with me, just comfort.

Maybe I will be blown away and come back with N+1 fever... but it better be a hell of a fever to make me drop that kind of coin.
It's fun to see though, people are able to build ridiculously light steel bikes relatively affordable, I'm seeing on youtube at least to try to get some ideas. I was definitely brainwashed 7 years ago as I got into carbon bikes. I'm already planning my next build next year, I think I'll build a Crust Steel.

Also the best climb in French Alps is still Pantani beat Armstrong on his Bianchi steel vs Armstrong on his latest greatest Trek Carbon.

Last edited by zymphad; 03-15-24 at 11:33 AM.
Old 03-15-24, 11:27 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Hydraulic brakes forced wheels and hubs to be reinforced with more spokes to withstand force on rotors.
Not always true, it seems. Enve 3.4 disc brake wheels use the same spoke count as Enve 3.4 rim brake wheels.
Old 03-15-24, 11:29 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

It's fun to see though, people are able to build ridiculously light steel bikes relatively affordable, I'm seeing on youtube at least to try to get some ideas. I was definitely brainwashed 7 years ago as I got into carbon bikes and come to realize, carbon bikes aren't that light, especially when I carry tool kit and 2 water bottles each ride..
Do you not carry a tool kit and 2 bottles when you ride a steel bike?
Old 03-15-24, 11:32 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Plus the best climb in French Alps is still Pantani beat Armstrong on his Bianchi steel vs Armstrong on his latest greatest Trek Carbon.
Consider:

Armstrong weighed ~ 40 pounds more than Pantani. Their fastest times up l'Alpe d'Huez were essentially identical.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 03-15-24, 11:41 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Also the best climb in French Alps is still Pantani beat Armstrong on his Bianchi steel vs Armstrong on his latest greatest Trek Carbon.
Pantani's 1998 Bianchi Mega Pro XL was aluminum... https://www.bikeradar.com/features/r...hi-mega-pro-xl. His 1999 and 2000 Bianchi XL EV2s were also aluminum.

Do you think the material of their frames are what made the difference on that climb?

Last edited by Eric F; 03-15-24 at 11:46 AM.
Likes For Eric F:
Old 03-15-24, 12:11 PM
zymphad

Originally Posted by Eric F
Pantani's 1998 Bianchi Mega Pro XL was aluminum... https://www.bikeradar.com/features/r...hi-mega-pro-xl. His 1999 and 2000 Bianchi XL EV2s were also aluminum.

Do you think the material of their frames are what made the difference on that climb?
No, but that was my point. ALU is still heavier than Carbon prob? But that was my point.
Old 03-15-24, 12:20 PM
Atlas Shrugged

You have no clue what you are talking about and just repeating worn out tropes. Since carbon can be laid up to achieve whatever the designer desires you can have anything from the most flexible and absorptive frame to viciously stiff all of which will be lighter and more durable than there steel counterpart. There is a whole generation of endurance bikes out there which are insanely comfortable and yet perform. Take a Specialized Aethos frame as another example 585 gram frame mass produced frame which is comfortable, durable, this would be impossible with steel. Enjoy your old steel bike and as long as you get out and do what you enjoy thats the goal, however you are looking up a horses butt if you think you couldn’t do the same with carbon only better.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 03-15-24, 12:23 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3952 Post(s)
Liked 7,299 Times in 2,947 Posts
You have no clue what you are talking about and just repeating worn out tropes.
Short and to the point ...
Old 03-15-24, 12:28 PM
Atlas Shrugged

It's fun to see though, people are able to build ridiculously light steel bikes relatively affordable, I'm seeing on youtube at least to try to get some ideas. I was definitely brainwashed 7 years ago as I got into carbon bikes. I'm already planning my next build next year, I think I'll build a Crust Steel.

Now thats what we should be debating, what is the best climb in the Alps? First question is Ventoux still considered as part of the Alps, supposedly yes. If not Ventoux the hardest/memorable I have done is the Col de la Madeleine via the Lacets.

Last edited by Atlas Shrugged; 03-15-24 at 01:15 PM.
Old 03-15-24, 12:36 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

No, but that was my point. ALU is still heavier than Carbon prob? But that was my point.
I doubt it. Those top-level aluminum Bianchis were extremely light, especially for a little guy like Pantani. Per the Bike Radar article I linked, his '98 bike was 15.34lbs. If I recall, those frames were sub-1kg, very comparable to (maybe lighter than) the Trek 5900 OCLV frame.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.