Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

1985 Maruishi Mouintain Ace 18

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-23, 08:36 PM
NitroExpress

Bikes: 1974 Mirella ~ Campy Record Group, 1985 Maruishi Mountain Ace 18, 1999 Waterford 2200, 2023 Poseidon X Ambition (with lots of upgrades)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 23 Posts
1985 Maruishi Mouintain Ace 18

I have tow of these bikes, a 21" & 18" frame. Both of them are in perfect condition, all original with the Shimano Deore XT (Deer Head) groups, BioPace cranks and original Grafight Pedals. The 21" bike has maybe 500 Miles on it, the 18" bike has maybe 300 Miles on it. I just took them completely apart and greased everything. New tires & tubes. No dents in the frames, some scratches from hauling them around with me all these years. I would like to sell them, but have no idea what the value is? I know on a good day you can find one for $25 at a garage sale, but the chances of finding one in this condition is not likely. Would like to get some feedback on what they might be worth. I travel between Des Moines, IA, Chicago, Memphis and Traverse City MI, so not even sure the best place to try and sell? The bikes no longer have white walls on them. Any advise would help. Thanks.

Moines, IA, Chicago, Memphis and Traverse City MI, so not even sure the best place to try and sell?
Old 02-04-23, 08:10 AM
SoCaled 

Bikes: Cuevas Custom, Cimmaron, 1988 "Pinalized Rockma", 1984 Trek 510, Moulton custom touring, Raleigh Competition GS, Bridgestone Mb-2 & 3, 1980's Peugeot - US, City, & Canyon Express (6)

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 3,739 Times in 1,837 Posts
Cool bikes, lesser known brand to general public, appreciated by the group here. The Shimano Deore "deer head" group is sought after and often commands silly prices on ebay for clean sets. The fact that you travel regularly could work to your advantage, expanding your market. I would list these bikes on craigslist/offerup/facebook in all the places you roll through. Ebay will take fees and you can dig into pros and cons in other threads here, but does offer large buying pool. Sometimes a "set" of bikes is desirable, but also requires 2 people to fit the sizing, I would be ready to sell individually. Unicrown fork models a little less desirable. Detailed pictures always help, are all the bags included? they add value, but maybe not as much as selling separately. What are the new tires? On the low end of pricing for these bikes, you will get more for the Deore components (I don't like to strip bikes, but this is often true).
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...-ace-18-a.html - I see you know what you have
I am not sure on pricing in post Covid market and winter? I think a lot would depend on finding the right buyer and how patient you want to be. I would suggest posting a few clean photos of each bike, set-up as they are going to be sold, with some details on bags, if they are included.

Last edited by SoCaled; 02-04-23 at 08:33 AM. Reason: more info
Old 02-04-23, 09:26 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1143 Post(s)
Liked 1,740 Times in 961 Posts
Those look very nice, I think you could put a $400 tag obo on each, may not sell though.

My gut tells me those clean gleaming maintained machines can get $325 each with good detail pictures and copy that contains 'fully rebuilt' and 'new' or 'solid' and 'ready for 35 more years! I would say things like compares well to the original Stumpjumper.

Try setting an add with no pictures, and a decent description with size, seams odd, but no picture add sell good if the buyer knows what they want. Add pictures if it doesn't sell after a week/two, add pictures when requested. People do follow adds like soap operas.
Old 02-04-23, 09:41 AM
NitroExpress

Bikes: 1974 Mirella ~ Campy Record Group, 1985 Maruishi Mountain Ace 18, 1999 Waterford 2200, 2023 Poseidon X Ambition (with lots of upgrades)

Thanks for the advise, I will do exactly that. These bikes are Ishiwata tubing with Tange forks.
Old 02-04-23, 09:46 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
1. You would be surprised at the condition of some used bikes. Bikes bought as exercise equipment often are lightly to never used. At that point, it's all about how they were stored. I've bought hundreds of vintage bikes in such condition.

2. Ads without pictures don't sell, particularly in a lesser known brand. Buyers have no imagination. Pictures provide the story to those buyers. Now I LOVE ads with no pictures, as it reduces competition so I get nice bikes at a lower price.

3. Mid 1980s MTBs have not been discovered (yet). Mid 1980s MTB PARTS have been discovered! So there is an inefficiency in the market.

4. I am still finding mid 1980s Stumpys for less than the $$ above, it's all about location. I've got one right now. Paid $100, that's all my market will yield. So it's either ebay whole or part. Same Stumpy that won't sell locally for $150, regardless how great the ad, should bring $600+ on ebay.

5. Assuming you have zero interest in shipping. In that case, I would sell in Chicago.

6. IMO, text in ads don't sell bikes. You want just the basics, with some great pictures. So many ads don't even list size, or if they do, the size is WRONG, like the 56 inch road bike ad I saw yesterday. Longer text does work fine on ebay.

7. FB marketplace continues to be great for buyers, lousy for sellers. So it's my go to source to buy. That leaves forums like this one, ebay, and C/L. The more convenient/easy the sale, the lower the price.

8. The other outlet is to find a local buyer/collector that appreciates vintage bikes. I sell to a couple of local collectors, at my typical 30% to 40% LESS than ebay pricing. I don't have to pack, don't have the fees, and they get a steep discount. The hard part is finding that local collector/enthusiast.

Last edited by wrk101; 02-04-23 at 09:51 AM.
Old 02-04-23, 03:01 PM
NitroExpress

Thanks guys, all good advise & comments, appreciate it!
Old 02-04-23, 03:12 PM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 853 Times in 446 Posts
those are sweet. I bet you don't have to wait long to get your price.