Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

Rebuilt Viscount, no idea what it might be worth

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-23, 05:42 PM
gazman22

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 39 Posts

Hello,
Just finished this rebuild of a Viscount. Death fork replaced with a nice condition chrome Tange fork. Full break down and rebuild. Bike did not come with drop bars so I replace old risers with new flat bars. Was thinking $500 plus or minus but don't know if there are users looking for this bike in particular? I also live in the Bay Area / Northern CA which definitely has a price premium. Any suggestion, opinions or musings are appreciated.

Thanks,
Gary

Old 02-17-23, 06:07 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Missing some original parts. In my market, a Viscount at best is a $150 bike. Add whatever premium you think the Bay Area will give you. I've owned four of them (I paid a lot less but I tend to not pay market price).

I assume someone drilled the top tube for that rear brake cabling.

Mis-matched brake pads.

Very few DT shifter bikes in my market bring $500. The ones with a chance are either Italian, or top of the line USA or perhaps Japan. Most buyers want STI bikes and hate DT shifters. DT shifting without indexing is even worse. People wanting DT friction shifting are either cheapskates or collectors/enthusiasts.

I've never met someone who wanted a Viscount/Lambert.

Last edited by wrk101; 02-17-23 at 06:20 PM.
Likes For wrk101:
Old 02-17-23, 06:13 PM
gazman22

Originally Posted by wrk101
I assume someone drilled the top tube for that rear brake cabling.
Thanks for the input. Surprised to find out no Viscounts came drilled for internal cable routing. Thats a bold modification to make.
Old 02-17-23, 06:27 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts

Drilled TT was kind of a 1980s thing. And the better ones had reinforcement at the holes. Viscount/Lamberts had clamps on the TT for holding the brake cable housing. These bikes had Shimano Crane RD (quite nice), Titleist FD, leather saddle, Viscount stem and Viscount pedals.

The odd BB crank mount was prone to problems. Good looking crank, but the non-tapered spindle was a crazy/bad idea.

A Lambert/Viscount collector, if one exists, will want all the Viscount parts. Finding those parts can be challenging. But the typical rider won't care.

Ad above is a different year, where it came with Simplex derailleurs.

Last edited by wrk101; 02-17-23 at 08:15 PM.
Likes For wrk101:
Old 02-17-23, 06:50 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3812 Post(s)
Liked 3,341 Times in 2,180 Posts
-----

mixed gear ensemble something it would not have left the barn with

missing pedal dust cap (de riguer)

probably merited a slightly nicer fork, not one with a welded crown

some futzing done to get brakes operating

late enough to be from the Yamaha time...

would think about a buck eighty tops

-----
Likes For juvela:
Old 02-17-23, 07:01 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
I don’t have an opinion on value, but the pic of the brake gives me pause. Those straddle cable ends look like they’ll pop out at the first panic stop, and you should probably replace them. Typical centerpull cable ends will fill the space, like in these example pics (not my pics).

Likes For noobinsf:
Old 02-17-23, 07:37 PM
gazman22

Originally Posted by noobinsf
I don’t have an opinion on value, but the pic of the brake gives me pause. Those straddle cable ends look like they’ll pop out at the first panic stop, and you should probably replace them. Typical centerpull cable ends will fill the space, like in these example pics (not my pics).
Thanks! Good catch. I will replace them.
Old 02-17-23, 08:01 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,769 Times in 635 Posts
Nice looking bike but as others have said IMHO the brake bar setup is somewhat bad . While paint brush the paint is well done and the pinstriping is exceptional and the clear coat is nice l. If all is good mech wise I would say $200 or so nice bike just not special with a bit of a odd iffy setup. Yet great cosmetics in the Bay I could see $400.

Last edited by zukahn1; 02-17-23 at 08:23 PM.
Likes For zukahn1:
Old 02-20-23, 09:52 PM
rjhammett

Bikes: 85 De Rosa, 92 Merckx MX Leader, 99 Tommasini Sintesi, 08 Look 585, 89 Merckx Corsa Extra, 72 Holdsworth Professional

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 552 Times in 241 Posts
I purchased this bike for $84 and sold it for around $200. It was in excellent condition. I really disliked that bike.

Likes For rjhammett:
Old 02-21-23, 10:58 AM
gazman22

Originally Posted by rjhammett
I purchased this bike for $84 and sold it for around $200. It was in excellent condition. I really disliked that bike.

Very nice condition and with the potential "death fork" still intact (depending on the version they were prone to failure).
Old 02-21-23, 12:18 PM
rjhammett

Bikes: 85 De Rosa, 92 Merckx MX Leader, 99 Tommasini Sintesi, 08 Look 585, 89 Merckx Corsa Extra, 72 Holdsworth Professional

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 552 Times in 241 Posts
This bike had version 3 of the fork which was supposedly safe.

Originally Posted by gazman22
Very nice condition and with the potential "death fork" still intact (depending on the version they were prone to failure).
Old 02-21-23, 07:21 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
Forgive me if it seems I'm ringing the alarm bell, but I'm genuinely curious - particularly as the fork has been replaced: has the bike been crashed? My aging eyes (which were never very good in their original specification) seem to detect a tell-tale line that suggests a prior paint-crack, possibly as a result of a collision.

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 02-22-23, 07:59 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
Forgive me if it seems I'm ringing the alarm bell, but I'm genuinely curious - particularly as the fork has been replaced: has the bike been crashed? My aging eyes (which were never very good in their original specification) seem to detect a tell-tale line that suggests a prior paint-crack, possibly as a result of a collision.

DD
Good catch! Certainly has some of the "tell-tale" marks of a front-ender.
Old 02-24-23, 11:15 AM
gazman22

Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
DD
I got the chance to look closely at the bike yesterday and inspect the head, top and down tube, and the welds as well.

Regarding the fork, the fact that it is not original does not concern me that much given that the original fork on this bike was nicknamed "the death fork" and was replaced by the manufacturer, with, I believe this Tange chrome fork.

Regarding the frame, there are no signs of any deformation to the top or down tube. Nor the head tube as well. The brazed welds also look fully intact with no sign of cracking or chipping.

Interestingly, I also own a Bob Jackson with the same type and location of paint cracks. Someone had asked about a collision. Other users had said their Jacksons had similar paint cracks.

So, I would like to hear from people with more knowledge and experience than me. If a steel framed bike shows some paint cracks near joints, but shows no sign of any deformation or material failure, is it a cause for concern? I had generally thought one of the benefits of steel is how it can move and return to original state. If it does not deform it is OK.

Thanks,

Gary
Old 02-24-23, 11:48 AM
TugaDude

OP said "I had generally thought one of the benefits of steel is how it can move and return to original state".

Not sure what you mean. Steel can be straightened when bent, perhaps that's what you mean. Dents can be removed with success sometimes. The fact you cannot discern any damage to the tubing is a good thing. Who knows what is going on with the paint? As I said, issues with the paint in that specific location is a tell-tale sign, but it isn't always I guess.
Old 02-24-23, 12:03 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2483 Post(s)
Liked 2,955 Times in 1,678 Posts
Took another look at the photos. The head tube looks to be about as close to parallel to the seat tube as one could expect for an undamaged bike, so that's good. Whatever apparent distortion may be present at the down tube/head tube junction would likely be an artifact of the brazing cleanup process having left a tiny bit of material behind.
Old 02-24-23, 12:09 PM
gazman22

Originally Posted by TugaDude
Not sure what you mean. Steel can be straightened when bent, perhaps that's what you mean. Dents can be removed with success sometimes. The fact you cannot discern any damage to the tubing is a good thing. Who knows what is going on with the paint? As I said, issues with the paint in that specific location is a tell-tale sign, but it isn't always I guess.
I mean a bike could have a front end collision, force could be imparted on the top tube and/or down tube that would cause them to flex/move, perhaps to the point of paint chipping/cracking, and they would then unflex back to their original state with no damage to the frame.
Old 02-24-23, 12:18 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2483 Post(s)
Liked 2,955 Times in 1,678 Posts
I mean a bike could have a front end collision, force could be imparted on the top tube and/or down tube that would cause them to flex/move, perhaps to the point of paint chipping/cracking, and they would then unflex back to their original state with no damage to the frame.
If a frame was hit with enough force to show paint chipping/cracking at the tube junctions, the force was beyond the yield strength of the steel. It won't spring back to its original state on its own.
Old 02-24-23, 12:33 PM
gazman22

Originally Posted by Trakhak
If a frame was hit with enough force to show paint chipping/cracking at the tube junctions, the force was beyond the yield strength of the steel. It won't spring back to its original state on its own.
well, let’s look at it another way. With the bike above, there is no deformation. All the tubes and welds look to be undamaged. Only the paint shows some cracking. I would tend to think the frame is OK. Prioritizing healthy tubing and welds over paint condition.
Old 02-24-23, 12:45 PM
TugaDude

No, the steel would either bend or bend and crimp if the impact was severe. It wouldn't bend and spring back to its original condition.
Old 02-24-23, 01:32 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
It's possible for a frame to take a hit hard enough to stress the joint, micro-crack the paint - and still be difficult to detect any frame tweaking with the naked eye.

I only pointed it out because (a) the cracks as seen mirror what I've seen in the past as a result of a frame taking a header, and (2) because of the reputation for failure of the original 'death fork'. Wondered if perhaps the paint cracks were related to a problem with the original fork.

To be on the safe side, ride it and pay close attention to any changes in the way the bike handles. If it ever begins to feel wonky, stop and examine the area in question - the life you save may be your own

Here's hoping all is good - and stays that way!

DD
Old 02-18-24, 06:09 AM
Viscount Rider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In the UK, that would be worth between £60-£120 approx.
Old 02-18-24, 09:50 AM
macstuff 

Bikes: A Blue One and 2 Green One's, then there's the Yellow one. And oh, yeah, a Black One. Did I mention the Red One?

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 195 Times in 82 Posts
There was a dealer here in Des Moines that sold them in the 70s so at the co-op we regularly get them in as donations, two or three a year. Most are completely original.
I really like the looks of the cranks but we can't give them away. We have changed forks and turned them into city bikes with some sort of upright bars on a few occasions but generally they get scrapped.
Sorry to be a Danny downer.
When we convert and sell them as city bikes we usually sell them at $150