Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Rude Seller on Ebay...

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Rude Seller on Ebay...

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-22, 03:13 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
Originally Posted by randyjawa

I did, however, learn something from the personal and public attack...
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm...isn't that basically what the thread began with? Even worse, the ebay seller has no idea this thread exists and cannot defend himself against it. That's some pooey-stinko back-asswardsness if you ask me.

DD
Old 02-24-22, 04:00 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4512 Post(s)
Liked 6,385 Times in 3,670 Posts
@jonwvara...

Thanks for your support. I did, however, learn something from the personal and public attack. I now know what "click bait" is and I, too, really dislike it. I hope that I can continue to present helpful, instructive and entertaining posts in the future.
H**Y CRAP!!!!

Can't imagine many here with more credibility or genuine concern for the greater good.

Please keep up the good work Randy, its all good.
Likes For merziac:
Old 02-25-22, 10:23 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
@jonwvara...

Thanks for your support. I did, however, learn something from the personal and public attack. I now know what "click bait" is and I, too, really dislike it. I hope that I can continue to present helpful, instructive and entertaining posts in the future.
Its a message board- people express views. You started this thread with a personal and public attack, people then responding with some balance to your claims isnt a bad thing.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 02-25-22, 11:20 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4682 Post(s)
Liked 5,800 Times in 2,284 Posts
Originally Posted by scarlson
I never really understood the attitude of "I'm not here to make friends".
You've clearly never worked in Corporate America.
Old 02-25-22, 12:03 PM
bamboobike4
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 336 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
...the greater good....
In one's definition of which therein lies the apparent rub, a can of worms not to be opened, unless it's about the geopolitical and social ramifications of the Dura Ace 7700GS RD.

All would likely agree that OP is a genuine positive asset to the world, humanity, and whatever space he occupies at any given moment.

That's a rusty old stem, anyway. Like most of us.
Old 02-25-22, 12:58 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
You've clearly never worked in Corporate America.
Oh man. But I've worked for the government.

And Harvard. Where do you think people running Corporate America get trained?

It's not that I've never seen it. I'm just unable to understand it. Just doesn't seem like it would give anyone more than fleeting satisfaction, while delving further into the abyss. Kindness/friendliness has a much better emotional ROI. But I'm preaching to the choir here on bikeforums. Even our flame wars are pretty civil.

Last edited by scarlson; 02-25-22 at 03:37 PM.
Likes For scarlson:
Old 02-25-22, 01:15 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 938 Posts
You started this thread with a personal and public attack, people then responding with some balance to your claims isnt a bad thing.
Thank you mstateglfr. Your observation is well founded although I do stand by my interpretation of the Ebay seller's social nature. I suppose the my attack was personal (to a degree) and certainly public. I must admit that I do regret starting this thread. Perhaps it would be best to keep my opinions to myself. I participate in Bike Forums to share information that might be helpful to others. I can see now that this attempt was poorly targeted.

For those who demonstrated their lack of patience, fair enough. For those who supported me, thank you. Perhaps now would be the best time to end the thread.
Old 02-25-22, 02:11 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2440 Post(s)
Liked 3,129 Times in 1,968 Posts
I think there are anomalies on both sides of the transaction ledgers.

The overwhelming number of buyers who buy are just wanting a modicum of politeness and reasonably good service. Communication is usually the item that is sub-par with sellers if anything, but most sellers have been either matter of fact professional, or cordial.

It is the jerks on both sides that often cast a larger shadow than they should...rather than see the great 19 transactions, we emphasize the 1 crappy one.

Edit: didn’t make sense

Last edited by jdawginsc; 02-25-22 at 04:29 PM.
Old 02-25-22, 02:16 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,804 Times in 1,408 Posts
For those who demonstrated their lack of patience, fair enough. For those who supported me, thank you. Perhaps now would be the best time to end the thread.
So let me get this perfectly straight. Those who differ from your opinion lack patience and deserve no thanks for educating you with a differing perspective?

If that is indeed the case, you are correct, this thread should end.
Likes For iab:
Old 02-25-22, 03:11 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 938 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
So let me get this perfectly straight. Those who differ from your opinion lack patience and deserve no thanks for educating you with a differing perspective?

If that is indeed the case, you are correct, this thread should end.
Yup, you win. I have already expressed my regret for initiating this thread. I suggested ending it because I did learn. Thank you for clarifying the situation.
Old 02-25-22, 11:49 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts

For those who demonstrated their lack of patience, fair enough..
TIL I lack patience when I disagree with another BF member's POV

Randy, your last couple posts in this thread have come close to "sorry, but..." - not a good look for someone who claims to post with the intention of being helpful. IMHO this thread was never going to be helpful in any way; if anything, it was an open invitation for people to ebay member-bash. Click-bait, indeed.

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 02-26-22, 09:24 AM
jethin

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 160 Posts
Old 02-26-22, 10:15 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
As someone who has sold on eBay for over 22 years now, I can verify there are plenty of rude buyers out there too. It just reflects the world today. I block them every chance I get. I also don't buy from certain sellers, and ANY negative feedback is a red flag. I also look for past feedback on bicycle stuff. I would prefer to pay more to an experienced bicycle seller that I can trust to carefully pack and ship my items, than take a chance on saving a few dollars but being disappointed in undisclosed defects, poor packing, and so on.