Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Loud Bikes

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Loud Bikes

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-23, 12:06 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2592 Post(s)
Liked 5,663 Times in 2,929 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
I have no problem with loud hubs. One of the sounds of cycling (to me) is the buzz of a high-quality freehub operating properly. I have a silent hub on my MTB. It's weird to coast in silence. I was riding with a buddy, and he kept looking back to see if I was still following him because he couldn't hear me.

The noise of a worn or poorly-adjusted drivetrain is different. It's a sign of malfunction.
Good point. My old Campy Chorus made such a racket, I would get looks from other riders in my group. I told them it was the sound of quality. My new Hunts are also loud, but I’m so used to it, it doesn’t bother me.

Old 07-20-23, 12:41 PM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 990 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
Sup guys, do any of you feel self conscious riding a loud bicycle around other people? My road bike’s drivechain is very loud, and has gotten louder since a bikestore related mishap resulted in it having a 9 speed cassette with 8 speed shifters. I just got it evaluated by another bike store, which said the chain is stretched well beyond when it should have been replaced, and both the cassette and chainrings show enough wear that they should be replaced with the chain. Pretty much I’m looking at replacing tons of stuff on the bike if I want to fix the noise (it shifts and runs beautifully otherwise, doesn’t take many watts to make a loud noise.)

My main problem is on group rides I feel like people judge a loud bike. Last week I went on one, and someone mentioned how loud my bike was and it didn’t feel great. Part of me thinks this is classist, not everyone can afford a silent bike that doesn’t click and crunch. The chain won’t drop so I don’t think it’s a safety concern. Separately, some fancy bikes have super loud hubs, and people don’t seem embarrassed to ride those. Is the purpose of the loud hubs so you don’t coast? My bike makes more noise when I’m pedaling than when I’m coasting. I like to wear headphones when riding alone so I don’t have to listen to it, loud bikes are mildly triggering.
It depends what you mean by ''loud''. If it's the freehub sound, I don't care at all. If it's creaking or doing other weird sounds, I do care for a few reasons: 1) It's not good for your bike and components. 2) I absolutely hate hearing noises that shouldn't exist and 3) It looks like you are neglecting / poorly maintaining your bike.

It's not a matter of being able or not to afford a quiet bicycle, it's a matter of giving your bicycle TLC every once in a while. Anyone can learn to do its own maintenance at no or very low cost. The internets are full of useful information.
Old 07-20-23, 01:07 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 828 Post(s)
Liked 1,660 Times in 784 Posts
Originally Posted by dkoernert
I showed up to a group ride once with my valve stem rattling a little bit. The guy leading the ride rode up to me on the warmup and said, "Don't ever show up to my ride with a noisy bike again, put some tape on that valve stem." Since then, I've always paid way more attention
The guy could hear your valve stem?
How does he manage to ride with the aero issue?

Old 07-20-23, 01:25 PM
dkoernert

Bikes: 1999 Klein Quantum Race

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
The guy could hear your valve stem?
How does he manage to ride with the aero issue?
So he says. That was the one and only time I rode with that group.
Likes For dkoernert:
Old 07-20-23, 01:28 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8287 Post(s)
Liked 9,066 Times in 4,483 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
One of the guys who was a regular on our C&V rides tends to bring a tool bag full of loose tools that rattle and jingle as he rides. Since they usually have me lead, I use the sound to tell me when everyone's caught up.
A lady in our club has a top tube mounted bag and whatever is in there slaps down hard on the top tube when she crosses a bump. Like startlingly loud, like a frame breaking might sound. I tried to warn her that it could be bad but it's her bike.
Old 07-20-23, 01:35 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10445 Post(s)
Liked 11,929 Times in 6,105 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
A lady in our club has a top tube mounted bag and whatever is in there slaps down hard on the top tube when she crosses a bump. Like startlingly loud, like a frame breaking might sound. I tried to warn her that it could be bad but it's her bike.
When I got the Litespeed, every so often when I hit a sharp bump, there'd be a sound like a bell. Then I rode over some really badly patched pavement, and it sounded like a pinball machine. That's why I named that bike "Wizard" as in Pinball Wizard.

It turned out the flange on the handle of the Zefal frame pump was striking the top tube, and Titanium rings like a bell. I now have a bit of foam I stick between the pump and the top tube.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-20-23, 01:47 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8287 Post(s)
Liked 9,066 Times in 4,483 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
When I got the Litespeed, every so often when I hit a sharp bump, there'd be a sound like a bell. Then I rode over some really badly patched pavement, and it sounded like a pinball machine. That's why I named that bike "Wizard" as in Pinball Wizard.

It turned out the flange on the handle of the Zefal frame pump was striking the top tube, and Titanium rings like a bell. I now have a bit of foam I stick between the pump and the top tube.
Years ago I was going through an intersection and I knocked the Zefal off with my knee. Parked the bike and started back to pick it up. Lady in the car got the green light and looked at me and promptly ran over my pump.
Old 07-20-23, 01:50 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11975 Post(s)
Liked 6,655 Times in 3,486 Posts
Last week I went on one, and someone mentioned how loud my bike was and it didn’t feel great. Part of me thinks this is classist, not everyone can afford a silent bike that doesn’t click and crunch.
Let's be reasonable here, Larry. The unnecessary noise your bike is making is an irritant, you expect people to suffer in silence because you choose to ride around with a noisy bike? That's not "classist", you need to get that bike fixed or ride by yourself, or expect lots of criticism.

Now I'm going to cruise through the rest of this thread, but don't be surprised if I close it, because as it stands now, this thread is ridiculous and does not meet Bike Forums quality standards. Capiche?
Likes For BillyD:
Old 07-20-23, 02:17 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3958 Post(s)
Liked 7,312 Times in 2,951 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
... this thread is ridiculous and does not meet Bike Forums quality standards.
So many jokes, so little time ...
Old 07-20-23, 02:26 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Quoted: 1282 Post(s)
Liked 1,393 Times in 711 Posts
I dislike loud bikes. I have a bike with a loud (to me) hub, except for 500-1000 miles after lubrication. It definitely lessens the peaceful feeling of a swoopy descent on a smooth road through the forest. BZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZ ZZZ
Old 07-20-23, 03:39 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
So many jokes, so little time ...
The memes on this one will write themselves.
Old 07-20-23, 04:21 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
I went to the bike shop and was told I needed a new drivechain (big rings, cassette, chain, and maybe even shifters) if I wanted to get rid of the sound. Replacing just the chain and cassette might even make it worse, according to the bike shop. The bike was bought used for $350 and I’m sure a brand new drivechain would cost at least that.

its classist for you to suggest that I am in the wrong for continueing to ride my bike in this state. There is a reason I posted this in Road Cycling by the way... this behavior is almost exclusive to road bikers. Myself, as a roadie, also fall victim to this internalized classism, and I’m trying to recognize this and fight it. It’s a gen Z thing most of you wouldn’t understand
Old 07-20-23, 04:45 PM
mattcalifornia

Bikes: 2002 Eddy Merckx Team SC Resto-Mod; 2019 Ibis Hakka MX; 2017 Spot Brand Ajax Belt Drive

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by Broctoon
If that happened to me, I think that would have been my last time riding with that group.
Exactly. What a tool.
Old 07-20-23, 04:52 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

I went to the bike shop and was told I needed a new drivechain (big rings, cassette, chain, and maybe even shifters) if I wanted to get rid of the sound. Replacing just the chain and cassette might even make it worse, according to the bike shop. The bike was bought used for $350 and I’m sure a brand new drivechain would cost at least that.

its classist for you to suggest that I am in the wrong for continueing to ride my bike in this state. There is a reason I posted this in Road Cycling by the way... this behavior is almost exclusive to road bikers. Myself, as a roadie, also fall victim to this internalized classism, and I’m trying to recognize this and fight it. It’s a gen Z thing most of you wouldn’t understand
You can get a SRAM 8 speed chain for $10, and an 8 speed cassette for $20. On Ebay, you can find 130mm bcd chainrings, $30 or so for 39t, $40 or so for 53. That's $100, IF you need both chainrings.

Old 07-20-23, 04:52 PM
mattcalifornia

Bikes: 2002 Eddy Merckx Team SC Resto-Mod; 2019 Ibis Hakka MX; 2017 Spot Brand Ajax Belt Drive

did you read my post earlier in the thread? You need probably $50 worth of parts or less. Possibly much less if you go the eBay or Alibaba route. Also, I'm not sure where you live, but some places have bicycle clinics where you can pay a few bucks to use their professional tools and workstand. In West LA, there is a place called "Bikerowave" that rents out shop use for $11/hour or $150/year. They also will help advise you on your repairs. And, because they accept donated parts, they often have very inexpensive or free replacement parts.
Old 07-20-23, 05:09 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,100 Times in 3,833 Posts
Iits classist for you to suggest that I am in the wrong for continueing to ride my bike in this state.
No, it's not.
Old 07-20-23, 05:25 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,366 Times in 947 Posts
its classist for you to suggest that I am in the wrong for continueing to ride my bike in this state.
No one can keep you from riding the bike. But you are a rude AH for expecting other people to have to hear it. People are also free to complain about it. You have no special right to ride with the group.

You are the guy who thinks it's reasonable to grub innertubes off other people. You are the guy who think it's no problem riding a wonky wheel and bad brakes.

You are calling it "classist" because people refuse to accommodate your being a snowflake.

There's a pattern here.

You spent $400 (?) on stupid wheels that are doing nothing hanging in your garage. It's not clear you couldn't have bought a $1000 bike and avoided all this silliness.

Last edited by njkayaker; 07-20-23 at 05:30 PM.
Old 07-20-23, 05:27 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,366 Times in 947 Posts
Originally Posted by mattcalifornia
did you read my post earlier in the thread? You need probably $50 worth of parts or less. Possibly much less if you go the eBay or Alibaba route. Also, I'm not sure where you live, but some places have bicycle clinics where you can pay a few bucks to use their professional tools and workstand. In West LA, there is a place called "Bikerowave" that rents out shop use for $11/hour or $150/year. They also will help advise you on your repairs. And, because they accept donated parts, they often have very inexpensive or free replacement parts.
This is a good idea. Too bad the person who you are telling it to is never wrong and never listens to advice.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 07-20-23, 05:27 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
Yeah i'm skeptical that I could buy new parts, put it together, and have it run better than it is now. Its a large job, and the labor for a shop to do it would be hundreds. The bike shifts beautifully compared to how it normally shifts, it doesn't skip teeth. Probably put like 20k miles on this thing with various casettes and its shifting better now than ever, even though its obnoxiously loud. There is a big chance that I pay a bunch of money and spend a bunch of time, and end up with a bike that is worse than it was, and take my method of transport out when im in the middle of the repair. Its very much classist to say im negligent for NOT going down this route. I would have to carry the parts to work, then take time off work, ride to a bike repair store (I think there is a stanford clinic), and worst case scenario I have to walk 8 miles home and am out a main bike. So yes, classist, and frankly more roadies should be more self aware of this reputation and seek to dismantle it thought their own thoughts and actions /sips tea

Last edited by LarrySellerz; 07-20-23 at 05:40 PM.
Old 07-20-23, 05:37 PM
mattcalifornia

Yeah i'm skeptical that I could buy new parts, put it together, and have it run better than it is now. Its a large job, and the labor for a shop to do it would be hundreds. The bike shifts beautifully compared to how it normally shifts, it doesn't skip teeth. Probably put like 20k miles on this thing with various casettes and its shifting better now than ever, even though its obnoxiously loud. There is a big chance that I pay a bunch of money and spend a bunch of time, and end up with a bike that is worse than it was, and take my method of transport out when im in the middle of the repair. Its very much classist to say im negligent for NOT going down this route.
OK, fine. Then you should probably skip the group rides. I'm curious to know what kind of advice you were actually hoping to receive when you started this thread.
Likes For mattcalifornia:
Old 07-20-23, 05:38 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Creaky bottom brackets due to poor design or creaking aero seatposts (also often due to poor design) do not bother me because there is no safety issue there.

I judge others by their tires. If they are worn to the wear indicator or if there are cuts, you should not be in a paceline. Creaks? Big deal. I don't care.
Old 07-20-23, 05:39 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Dude. Seriously. This is self-indulgent twaddle. You can almost certainly fix this for $50-100. You may need some tools, like a cassette lockring tool and chainwhip ($25 total), and maybe a chain breaker ($10), and a 5mm allen key (Who doesn't have that already?), but IIRC your Dad is a cyclist so he might have them already.

If you don't want to do it, fine, that's your choice. But don't expect people to want to ride next to you if your bike sounds like you don't give a crap about it, because it doesn't inspire confidence. If you're that lackadaisical about your bike, maybe you're also lackadaisical about holding your line.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-20-23, 05:42 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Yeah i'm skeptical that I could buy new parts, put it together, and have it run better than it is now. Its a large job, and the labor for a shop to do it would be hundreds. The bike shifts beautifully compared to how it normally shifts, it doesn't skip teeth. Probably put like 20k miles on this thing with various casettes and its shifting better now than ever, even though its obnoxiously loud. There is a big chance that I pay a bunch of money and spend a bunch of time, and end up with a bike that is worse than it was, and take my method of transport out when im in the middle of the repair. Its very much classist to say im negligent for NOT going down this route. I would have to carry the parts to work, then take time off work, ride to a bike repair store (I think there is a stanford clinic), and worst case scenario I have to walk 8 miles home and am out a main bike.
Then do it yourself! Cripes, it's $50 in parts, maybe $30 in tools, and it should take less than an hour to replace cassette, chain, and both chainrings.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-20-23, 05:47 PM
mattcalifornia

Yeah i'm skeptical that I could buy new parts, put it together, and have it run better than it is now. Its a large job, and the labor for a shop to do it would be hundreds. The bike shifts beautifully compared to how it normally shifts, it doesn't skip teeth. Probably put like 20k miles on this thing with various casettes and its shifting better now than ever, even though its obnoxiously loud. There is a big chance that I pay a bunch of money and spend a bunch of time, and end up with a bike that is worse than it was, and take my method of transport out when im in the middle of the repair. Its very much classist to say im negligent for NOT going down this route. I would have to carry the parts to work, then take time off work, ride to a bike repair store (I think there is a stanford clinic), and worst case scenario I have to walk 8 miles home and am out a main bike. So yes, classist, and frankly more roadies should be more self aware of this reputation and seek to dismantle it thought their own thoughts and actions /sips tea
Let's be honest -- other than running and basketball, most sports are, to some degree, classist. You need to have equipment, clothing and leisure time. Cycling as transportation or around the neighborhood by yourself is much less of a class thing. But riding in a paceline of road racers is different. For speed and safety reasons, there is some minimum level of equipment and maintenance needed to participate. Also, if you are making annoying noises, you should not expect people in any kind of group to want to hear it. They are cycling for relaxation and enjoyment. They don't want to hear your noise. It's no different than if you were blaring music over a bluetooth speaker.
Likes For mattcalifornia:
Old 07-20-23, 06:01 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1141 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
I might have said something rude to him.
I might have been inclined to come back with a really squeaky bike and spoke beads...

https://www.amazon.com/Lawdiey-Bicyc...23247411&psc=1
Likes For spelger:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.