Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Carbon seatpost catastrophe

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Carbon seatpost catastrophe

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-23, 06:02 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8280 Post(s)
Liked 9,046 Times in 4,477 Posts
I've broken a number of posts and saddles and other stuff. I started using Thomson posts years ago and never had a problem with one of them. I wouldn't recommend a cf post for you.
Old 02-06-23, 06:05 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4947 Post(s)
Liked 8,087 Times in 3,826 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
I never said I sanded a carbon seatpost, and sanding a metal seatpost to roughen to surface if it is continuing to slip is not weird. Come on
You didn't specify before, and based on your other comments, sanding a carbon post doesn't seem out of character. You have concluded that carbon fiber seatposts are a bad idea, yet the failure seems to be directly related to your own misuse of the item.
Old 02-06-23, 06:13 PM
jp911

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2 Dura Ace, Niner RLT9 aluminum, Santa Cruz 5010 CC, Niner Air 9 rigid 29er, Trek Farley alloy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 36 Posts
Brand incompatibility can lead to spontaneous carbon fiber failure: Bontrager post on a Specialized frame...tsk, tsk.
Old 02-06-23, 06:15 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
Looks like it's breaking right at the min insertion marks. I don't think you did anything egregiously wrong.
Carbon seatposts are just more prone to slipping period. Carbon paste help a little but certainly doesn't do miracles. If you are a heavyweight, cf seatposts might not be for you.
Old 02-06-23, 07:32 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
It's not unusual for carbon to fail catastrophically even when used correctly. The risk of failure is magnified especially for heavier riders or when riding over rough terrain and roads.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 02-06-23, 07:54 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1138 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
It's not unusual for carbon to fail catastrophically even when used correctly. The risk of failure is magnified especially for heavier riders or when riding over rough terrain and roads.
i think we'd hear more of this were it true.
Old 02-06-23, 08:31 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4356 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
1. Carbon generally does not just fail randomly, there are reasons for it. Sometimes it is abuse or improper installation or just quality of components or a QC error that was not gotten. Things don't just randomly fail just because there is a reason.

2. A mechanic did not install that seatpost above the minimum insertion line nor do I believe they improperly torqued it. I believe it was probably installed properly or close to it and was modified by the rider or maybe possibly but unlikely someone who was acting as a mechanic at a shop decided to just do whatever who cares. However that seatpost and those torque specs exist for a reason and if you cannot be bothered to use them and recognize them maybe having a seatpost and seat collar is just not for you.

3. Do not modify carbon components leave them alone to manufacturer specs. The manufacturer designed those components as they are and if they felt like they need to sand them down or modify them in other ways they would have done so at the factory or in the R&D phase. That can easily cause issues and get you hurt.

4. Take responsibility for your bikes people. Take care of them and treat them well and they will take care of you. If you aren't good with wrenching take it to a good shop or if you are in a crash take it to a shop. Have someone who knows what they are doing look over the bike and make sure it is in tip-top shape. No need to get hurt.

It's not unusual to be loved by anyone

Last edited by veganbikes; 02-06-23 at 08:37 PM. Reason: Fixed a post by Wolfie I think he meant that and said something different : )
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 02-06-23, 08:38 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10425 Post(s)
Liked 11,899 Times in 6,094 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
i think we'd hear more of this were it true.
Big Carbon suppresses it.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 02-06-23, 08:41 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
In case it wasn't clear, I suspect that the seatpost was damaged at some point prior to the latest installation which was done by an experienced mechanic. The noteworthy thing about this is that the damage went unnoticed him and I until it suddenly failed.
Old 02-06-23, 08:42 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1138 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Big Carbon suppresses it.
what ever was i thinking?
Old 02-06-23, 08:49 PM
Keefusb
Keefusb

Bikes: 60cm 1992 Paramount, 60cm 1995 Cannondale R900 (son's bike), 1994 Cannondale H300 (mine), 1994 Cannondale H300 Killer V (wife's bike), 60 cm 1989 Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra SLX

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 36 Posts
I had a similar incident recently with a Kalloy aluminium seat post. Granted, I'm a big dude (6'3" and 215#) but in 30+ years of serious riding, I never had an aluminium seat post fail in the middle of a ride. I now have a heavy, but bulletproof 90's vintage 400mm Profile seat post installed and no problems whatsoever with the seat post bending then breaking.
Old 02-06-23, 09:03 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

In case it wasn't clear, I suspect that the seatpost was damaged at some point prior to the latest installation which was done by an experienced mechanic. The noteworthy thing about this is that the damage went unnoticed him and I until it suddenly failed.
No that seatpost was not installed by a mechanic please do not say that. You are welcome to admit you installed yourself or say you had some random person installed but no actual mechanic put it above the minimum insertion line. Especially with such a clearly marked minimum insertion line. If you are too tall for the component like in this case make sure you get more appropriately sized parts or probably a bike that is more appropriately sized.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 02-06-23, 09:08 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 920 Times in 447 Posts
Were seatposts that break considered an advantage at one time?
Old 02-06-23, 09:14 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 490 Posts
The craziest thing about this thread is that he doesn’t have a set of metric Allen wrenches.
Likes For rosefarts:
Old 02-06-23, 09:32 PM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by veganbikes
No that seatpost was not installed by a mechanic please do not say that. You are welcome to admit you installed yourself or say you had some random person installed but no actual mechanic put it above the minimum insertion line. Especially with such a clearly marked minimum insertion line. If you are too tall for the component like in this case make sure you get more appropriately sized parts or probably a bike that is more appropriately sized.
A mechanic did install that seatpost, please don't say that i'm just flat out lying. He was trying to make it work for me and we discussed that it was too high, but I doubt that was the root problem.

Last edited by LarrySellerz; 02-06-23 at 09:48 PM.
Old 02-06-23, 09:46 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

A mechanic did install that seatpost, please don't just say that i'm just flat out lying. He was trying to make it work for me and we discussed that it was too high, but I doubt that was the root problem.
That was the problem, that seatpost was too high and caused problems. There is a reason they put those marks on there and not just for a cool pattern. If an actual mechanic had seen that set up they would have told you, NO that seatpost is too high and you need a proper frame that fits you and then if they refused they would probably say at least get a longer seatpost. No proper mechanic set up a seatpost above the minimum insertion line. Maybe someone playing a mechanic did it but a mechanic is not going to intentionally put someone's life at risk like that. Nor are they going to suggest sanding down a carbon seatpost.

The root of the problem is someone deciding to ride a frame that is too small and put a seatpost over the minimum insertion line and not maintaining a bike properly and not accepting the facts of all of this. Ride the right size frame keep your seatpost below the minimum insert line and take care of your bikes especially if you crash on them.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 02-06-23, 09:47 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4947 Post(s)
Liked 8,087 Times in 3,826 Posts
It's not unusual for carbon to fail catastrophically even when used correctly.
This is false.
Old 02-06-23, 10:24 PM
LarrySellerz

That was the problem, that seatpost was too high and caused problems. There is a reason they put those marks on there and not just for a cool pattern. If an actual mechanic had seen that set up they would have told you, NO that seatpost is too high and you need a proper frame that fits you and then if they refused they would probably say at least get a longer seatpost. No proper mechanic set up a seatpost above the minimum insertion line. Maybe someone playing a mechanic did it but a mechanic is not going to intentionally put someone's life at risk like that. Nor are they going to suggest sanding down a carbon seatpost.

The root of the problem is someone deciding to ride a frame that is too small and put a seatpost over the minimum insertion line and not maintaining a bike properly and not accepting the facts of all of this. Ride the right size frame keep your seatpost below the minimum insert line and take care of your bikes especially if you crash on them.
The frame is the right size and I never sanded carbon....

I suspect the bulk of the damage was done when the seatpost was on a bike that was much too small for me, and was extended much further. Or a prior owner damaged it. In any case, it passed numerous inspections after it was presumably damaged. The final installation was not ideal, but I doubt it is bad enough to be the root cause.
Likes For LarrySellerz:
Old 02-06-23, 10:35 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,740 Times in 1,013 Posts
This is what I took to you sanding the post...

The slipping seatpost was on another bike and I ended up washing the lube off and sanding the surface. I don't want to deal with torque wrenches and finnicky stuff when doing something potentially on the fly like a saddle height adjustment. What if I want to let my friend ride the bike quickly or something. Most of the bikes ive had were quick release lol.

This could have been REALLY bad and im now super skeptical of carbon seatposts. They seem like a bad idea. Thanks Jax im sure I have something i can take off another bike

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 02-06-23, 10:39 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

The frame is the right size and I never sanded carbon....

I suspect the bulk of the damage was done when the seatpost was on a bike that was much too small for me, and was extended much further. Or a prior owner damaged it. In any case, it passed numerous inspections after it was presumably damaged. The final installation was not ideal, but I doubt it is bad enough to be the root cause.
Ok fair dinkum, you did mention sanding a seatpost and we are talking about a seatpost.

The frame is likely the wrong size, on a properly sized frame you WOULD NOT need to put the seatpost above the minimum insertion line as you did. It could be that the seatpost is extra short but then why would you run it if it was so short when they make plenty of longer posts including some of carbon. I doubt that seatpost was inspected. I am sure you looked at it and said yeah that looks fine as someone might who may not know what they are looking at but I doubt it was pulled and x-rayed or tested in any way. If you did have the seatpost above the minimum insertion line on other bikes that would cause issues as well. You can split hairs but in the end your reckless abandon for the minimum insertion line was the problem. I am going to say the prior owner did not damage it, yes that is possible in some situations and why I probably would avoid used carbon but seeing where it broke and hearing you talk about it, I am pretty confident this is on you, bud.

Look it is OK people make mistakes it happens. That is why they have that minimum insertion line on there to try and help folks so they don't break a seatpost, same thing with torque specs to try and help prevent these sort of things but yeah people can easily overlook them and say ahhh not for me and then have issues. For those folks I recommend good quality extra long alloy posts and a good mechanic to help them. That will give you a little more margin for error. However now you have the chance to learn from this hopefully and just use a torque wrench make sure more of the post is in the frame especially enough to be below minimum insertion and especially more for a bigger rider and have a mechanic check over things with some more regularity.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 02-06-23, 10:46 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,822 Times in 1,541 Posts
Today on the way home from work I felt something give in my saddle. I stopped to investigate, thinking it was coming loose, and to my horror I found that the seatpost was cracked and barely holding on! I still had 4 miles to go, and when I got home it was hanging on by a thread. It barely took any force to break it off (I got a video of myself kicking it off and it goes flying.)

it must have been a bit too high. it was previously installed way too high on another bike and could have been damaged then, or it could have been damaged in a crash I had last Friday. Hard to say. I don’t have the metric Allen to pull it out and see how much is left in the frame.

a bike store told me previously that putting a long lever like I had could crack the aluminum frame. Would you be worried about the frame, or is it probably okay if it looks undamaged?

A bike shop told me a horror story of someone getting seriously injured by a broken seatpost. Do any of you have any horror stories?

this does not compute, have nice park workstand, but not metric hex wrenches??

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 02-06-23, 10:53 PM
MaxKatt
TeeOhPea 2tha DeeOhGee

Bikes: Several

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 76 Posts
Probably rode nice and cushy with all the flex. Right before the crack of course. You flew too close to the sun. But, as they say, if you’re not living on the edge, you’re taking up too muck space. Well done.
Likes For MaxKatt:
Old 02-06-23, 11:24 PM
LarrySellerz

The frame is likely the wrong size, on a properly sized frame you WOULD NOT need to put the seatpost above the minimum insertion line as you did. It could be that the seatpost is extra short but then why
The seatpost came from this bike, the shop swapped them for me when I brought both bikes in for work. The bike it broke on is a 58.

Old 02-06-23, 11:28 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by squirtdad
this does not compute, have nice park workstand, but not metric hex wrenches??
Unfortunately much of what Little Larry says does not compute though in the movie I don't think he actually ever talked nor did his father in the iron lung (Arthur Digby Sellers, writer of a large portion of Branded). Pilar the housekeeper said everything!

Likes For veganbikes:
Old 02-06-23, 11:33 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

The seatpost came from this bike, the shop swapped them for me when I brought both bikes in for work. The bike it broke on is a 58.

That is even more problematic, if you are riding a 47cm and you need a 58 or probably larger. None of that is good and that minimum insertion line is still there for a reason and I still have extreme levels of doubt on the shop setting any of those seatposts above the minimum insertion line. I can believe they swapped them but I doubt they just left it above the minimum insertion line, I would love to talk to the faux mechanic who said that was safe and good to go.

Get a properly sized bike and you will be less likely to have minimum insertion issues.
Likes For veganbikes:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.