Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Do weather forecasting websites hype up the chances of rain for clickbait?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!
View Poll Results: Do weather forecasting sites hype up the chances of rain for clickbait?
Yes
45.71%
No
54.29%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-23, 04:45 PM
bikelif3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 21 Posts

I've been using weather.com for a while now and it seems like they purposefully overestimate the chances of rain. I'm guessing this is because more people will go to their site and increase ad revenue if "bad weather" is approaching.

Often based on the previous evening forecast for rain, I often chalk up the next day as a "no ride rain day" only to have it be clear and sunny.

Anecdotally, if you have experienced this hyped-up chances of rain vote "Yes". If not, vote "No".
Old 06-18-23, 05:11 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
I've used the National Weather Service for decades. I can't think of why they'd fudge their forecasts, or why anybody else would have better information.
Likes For Gresp15C:
Old 06-18-23, 05:26 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3683 Post(s)
Liked 5,448 Times in 2,769 Posts
Speaking of clickbait....
Old 06-18-23, 05:32 PM
bikelif3

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Huh??
Old 06-18-23, 05:42 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I use weather network for my local area where I live. They're pretty accurate at predicting temperatures, wind and chances of rain....however they're also extremely unreliable and inaccurate at predicting snowfalls and winter forecasts. Way too many times they have predicted some " significant winter weather event " or snowfall and nothing happened. I am always prepared during winter but I completely ignore their winter weather forecasts. News media just loves to hype people up..
Old 06-18-23, 05:45 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Bikes: 2015 Trek 1.1, 2021 Specialized Roubaix, 2022 Tern HSD S+

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by bikelif3
I've been using weather.com for a while now and it seems like they purposefully overestimate the chances of rain. I'm guessing this is because more people will go to their site and increase ad revenue if "bad weather" is approaching.

Often based on the previous evening forecast for rain, I often chalk up the next day as a "no ride rain day" only to have it be clear and sunny.

Anecdotally, if you have experienced this hyped-up chances of rain vote "Yes". If not, vote "No".
I use the Weather widget on Android, which gets data from weather.com. I do see a lot of rain forecast these days that don't lead to actual rain. Just like today, they said it would be 70 percent rain from noon to 7 PM. It's 4:30 PM now, and I've yet to see rain. One could argue that 70 percent means 70 percent - it may or may not rain, but I feel that the kind of percentage is used by the forecasters to escape blame if it in fact doesn't rain.

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
Old 06-18-23, 06:29 PM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 849 Posts
last couple weeks almost every forecast predicts rain and so far it has rained about everyday.....I wish they were wrong once and while.....I guess a couple of those days it said no precipitation but it ended up raining....
Old 06-18-23, 07:13 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3243 Post(s)
Liked 2,091 Times in 1,183 Posts
Weatherbug seems to replicate what NOAA is saying, in my area. I actually find that NOAA is not specific as to hourly forecast, where WB is and often when NOAA is saying 50-60% rain, the WB hourly might not show that, and is often more accurate.
Old 06-18-23, 07:27 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
No.
Old 06-18-23, 09:12 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1807 Post(s)
Liked 1,448 Times in 995 Posts
I've always used weather.gov (NOAA site). Its accurate enough for me. The only issue I have with it is no smartphone-specific app, although I can still call it up on a web search.

As for up-to-the-minute and point-source accuracy I've always looked at weather forecasting as a reasonably good guess. If the forecast says there's a good chance of rain on a specific day in my region, either morning, afternoon, evening, or overnight, that's good enough for me.

Last edited by skidder; 06-18-23 at 09:15 PM.
Old 06-19-23, 05:42 AM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 248 Posts
Did you ever read The Signal and the Noise, by Nate Silver? It's a little like Freakonomics.

Anyway, his findings agreed with the posters above, that the NWS predictions were fairly consistent wrt accuracy independent from the forecast, while local news weather tended to be more pessimistic regarding bad weather (rain, snow, etc.). In the book he theorized that the local news forecast is driven by economic forces (if people don't like the results of the forecasts, they'll go to another source), so it makes economic sense for local news weather to be pessimistic since people will be pissed annoyed if there's a "low" chance of rain (say, 30%) and it actually does rain (which it will, 3 times out of 10, if the forecast is accurate), whereas they'll be happy if there's a significant chance of rain (say, 60%) and it doesn't rain. The NWS, being publicly funded, is not subject to those economic forces and, therefore, can stick to the actual probabilities without "fudging".
Likes For noimagination:
Old 06-19-23, 05:56 AM
Herzlos

Bikes: Way too many

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 607 Times in 364 Posts
To be fair I'd rather it predicted rain and was dry than it predicted dry and it rained. At least I'd be prepared.
Old 06-19-23, 06:20 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
I use Weather.com which I have found to be more accurate than Accuweather.com and others.

I myself haven't noticed this you speak of. In fact, I have found just as many times where rain wasn't predicted and showers came as vice versa.

Clickbait is one thing. The popup ads are getting increasingly annoying.
Old 06-19-23, 06:41 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22609 Post(s)
Liked 8,932 Times in 4,164 Posts
No.
Old 06-19-23, 06:53 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,962 Times in 945 Posts
Local TV news sensationalizes weather reports IMO because it lacks specificity. Example, rain in the valleys, what valleys? There are several in SoCal.
I'm most interested in radar and satellite info if rain is forecasted and do I have a window for a dry ride.
Old 06-19-23, 07:12 AM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
When the weather turns out to be a lot worse than predicted, the forecasters will be criticized, the converse, not so much. Thus there is a social pressure to err on the side of doom and destruction. As Herzlos put it, an error towards better weather is preferable to an error where the weather is worse than predicted.
But, as many people have observed, if you listen to the weather too much, you will never leave home.
Likes For Pratt:
Old 06-19-23, 07:47 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by daihard
I Just like today, they said it would be 70 percent rain from noon to 7 PM. It's 4:30 PM now, and I've yet to see rain. One could argue that 70 percent means 70 percent - it may or may not rain, but I feel that the kind of percentage is used by the forecasters to escape blame if it in fact doesn't rain.
. 70% chance of rain means 70% chain of rain, and 30% chance of no rain.

So if the forecasting is reliable, then 3 out of 10 times they say 70% chance of rain it will not rain.

If there is any “blame” to be had, it is that people do not understand forecasting and probability.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 06-19-23, 08:53 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
I use weather network for my local area where I live. They're pretty accurate at predicting temperatures, wind and chances of rain....however they're also extremely unreliable and inaccurate at predicting snowfalls and winter forecasts. Way too many times they have predicted some " significant winter weather event " or snowfall and nothing happened. I am always prepared during winter but I completely ignore their winter weather forecasts. News media just loves to hype people up..
I think we've had a few younger TV news people move up the ranks, coming from stations such as Louisville or Dallas and then they get to Chicago and when there's three inches of snow in the forecast, they think it's the end of the world. Seriously, a three-inch snowfall will not only lead off the 6:00 news, it'll be the only thing they talk about! Maybe two minutes on Sports, and then that's it.
Old 06-19-23, 09:06 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,364 Times in 945 Posts
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wet_bias
Old 06-19-23, 09:10 AM
Bald Paul

Quoted: 827 Post(s)
Liked 1,660 Times in 784 Posts
Hype?
Hype is when the actual forecast is cloudy with a chance of showers, and they tell you to board up your windows for the hurricane force winds and hide in your safe room due to the tornadoes.
Old 06-19-23, 09:10 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,364 Times in 945 Posts
Originally Posted by daihard
I use the Weather widget on Android, which gets data from weather.com. I do see a lot of rain forecast these days that don't lead to actual rain. Just like today, they said it would be 70 percent rain from noon to 7 PM. It's 4:30 PM now, and I've yet to see rain. One could argue that 70 percent means 70 percent - it may or may not rain, but I feel that the kind of percentage is used by the forecasters to escape blame if it in fact doesn't rain.
https://www.weather.gov/ffc/pop#:~:t...0of%20interest!

The "Probability of Precipitation" (PoP) simply describes the probability that the forecast grid/point in question will receive at least 0.01" of rain. So, in this example, there is a 40 percent probability for at least 0.01" of rain at the specific forecast point of interest!
Old 06-19-23, 09:13 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2339 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,545 Posts
IIRC 70% rain means 70% chance of rain some place in the forecast area, not 70% change of rain where your standing

Old 06-19-23, 09:17 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3957 Post(s)
Liked 7,310 Times in 2,950 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
Hype?
Hype is when the actual forecast is cloudy with a chance of showers, and they tell you to board up your windows for the hurricane force winds and hide in your safe room due to the tornadoes ... and upgrade immediately to disc brakes.
ftfy
Old 06-19-23, 09:18 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2339 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,545 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Huh??
if you need explanation: post with aggressive premise, minimally related to cycling by a new member

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 06-19-23, 10:02 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Quoted: 2244 Post(s)
Liked 3,448 Times in 1,807 Posts
Huh??
Why are you posting this junk in the general forum?

At least when it was about golf clubs, it was cycling-related.
Likes For Polaris OBark:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.