Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Boredom is the enemy of extending your distance?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Boredom is the enemy of extending your distance?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-23, 08:04 PM
adlai

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 34 Posts
Yes, boredom is a problem. Also a problem is that if I bike for 40 miles I get very tired and muscles that I don’t usually feel start aching.
Old 06-19-23, 10:03 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4369 Post(s)
Liked 4,008 Times in 2,676 Posts
Originally Posted by adlai
Yes, boredom is a problem. Also a problem is that if I bike for 40 miles I get very tired and muscles that I don’t usually feel start aching.
Then you need to find better routes and potentially do some good stretching before hand and make sure your bike is properly adjusted for you ideally by someone who knows what they are doing IE: a fitter. Cycling shouldn't be boring and if it is maybe it just isn't for you or you are just riding the same route over and over and over and over again it wasn't a good one to begin with. I commuted daily by bike and didn't get bored with the route ever and I didn't vary it much if at all, it was a decent route. Because the route wasn't heavily traveled at the times I was on it by other cyclists I did tend to play music so I wasn't bored unless it was a song that had played a few too many times recently. The route was good because it was varied, some hills some flats plenty of turns some traffic, some lite or no traffic, a decent number of trees and the ability to stop and get a beverage if needed or groceries or something and plenty of places to get off and hop on a train or a bus if needed be or plenty of little variations I could make if I ever needed it.

Obviously over long rides a fatigue is not out of the question and maybe a little minor pain if you haven't ridden those distances before or regularly but frequent pain from riding is not a good thing.

Indoor cycling I guess but outdoor cycling shouldn't have that boring factor. Maybe it is a lack of spatial awareness which I see a lot of these days where people don't know where they are and what is going on and very much sometimes to a fault. Look around enjoy your surroundings or find better surroundings.

Obviously in the case of the OP cycling really isn't for them.
Old 06-19-23, 01:18 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
Originally Posted by grantelmwood
After about 8 miles, I get bored and do not motivate to keep riding. Hell, sometimes, after 3 miles I get bored, and end the ride.
The problem temptation is that my riding loop allows me the option of cutting it short instead of forcing a longer distance.

The obvious remedy would be to ride straight out for 1/2 the desired distance, thereby forcing you to complete the full distance.
What other strategies do you employ to combat cutting rides short and/or not extending them due to boredom?
I have an annual ritual to ride a certain trail end to end. it's pretty much the longest ride I do. bringing a camera makes it a little less monotonous for me. but I have to be "mentally" prepared

I missed last year due to my Dad's summer passing. should have no excuse this summer

Last edited by rumrunn6; 06-19-23 at 01:31 PM.
Old 06-19-23, 04:19 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Different strokes.

I find indoor exercise painfully boring, but love biking outdoors.
Likes For Lombard:
Old 06-19-23, 04:37 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18430 Post(s)
Liked 15,585 Times in 7,339 Posts
Originally Posted by Lombard
Different strokes.

To aid in my rehab I recently searched the basement for my trainer and came to the conclusion that I sold it many years ago because I hated it.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-19-23, 04:43 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,100 Times in 3,833 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
To aid in my rehab I recently searched the basement for my trainer and came to the conclusion that I sold it many years ago because I hated it.
Zwift has significantly changed my attitude about trainer rides. For training purposes, it can be some of the most effective work I do.
Old 06-19-23, 06:15 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
Zwift has significantly changed my attitude about trainer rides. For training purposes, it can be some of the most effective work I do.
+1

Interactive training, whether it’s Zwift, Peloton or whatever, are certainly the key difference when it comes to indoor training.

It takes a certain level of discipline to grind away on a turbo in the garage or the basement with not much more than a training plan and a stopwatch; I for one, sure don’t have enough to stick with it for more than about 30-40 minutes before I’m looking for a reason to get off and do something else.
Watching TV or a movie, I go a lot longer, but I’m usually just mindlessly spinning away, doing “junk miles “

Zwifting, or the like, takes the mental load off of trying to set up the next interval and just lets you chase the next goal/ target
I find I can do a lot more effective work that way, especially at the end of a longer session, when I’m starting to get tired
Old 06-20-23, 06:03 AM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 318 Posts
Where I live there are basically 3 routes that I do if I don't feel like 1) doing any sustained or steep climbing, or 2) driving out somewhere (not feasible for post-work rides during the week). Thus, I do get really bored and unmotivated. My way to combat this is to ride the same routes on different bikes (roadies, gravel, different frame materials) or by swapping out different wheels/tires, etc. I'll even lower and raise my stem to mix it up though now most of my bikes are relatively slammed (until I get sick of looking at the ugly extended steerers and raise them back up a cm or two). My most recent experiment was converting one of my gravel bikes from drop bar to flat bar, then to flat + inline bar ends. But I still ride the same 3 main routes.
Likes For tFUnK:
Old 06-20-23, 06:08 AM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 318 Posts
Originally Posted by Lombard
Different strokes.

Same here. There is something unbearable about indoor cycling that prevents me from doing it for longer than 30 mins or so. I think it's the fact that I'm sweating so much and dripping all over my bike and my floor (even with a fan) as well as the lack of organic variations in body posture that results in sore contact points after just a short session (whereas during the course of a typical outdoor ride I might be standing, coasting, aero tucked, gesturing to my friend, etc.).
Old 06-20-23, 06:14 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Originally Posted by tFUnK
Same here. There is something unbearable about indoor cycling that prevents me from doing it for longer than 30 mins or so. I think it's the fact that I'm sweating so much and dripping all over my bike and my floor (even with a fan) as well as the lack of organic variations in body posture that results in sore contact points after just a short session (whereas during the course of a typical outdoor ride I might be standing, coasting, aero tucked, gesturing to my friend, etc.).
30 minutes on the trainer? You're much more disciplined than I am, LOL! I can ride outdoors for hours as the scenery changes. I never tried Zwift or any of those other programs. Seems like it would be like a video game. That's a lot to spend on something I may use a few times and lose interest.
Old 06-20-23, 06:21 AM
Herzlos

Bikes: Way too many

Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 607 Times in 364 Posts
I quite like cycling indoors because I can stick a movie on and watch whilst I'm spinning away. I couldn't handle it otherwise, even with music it'd get dull after an hour or so.

Outside it's different, since it's more peaceful but with some varying scenery.
Likes For Herzlos:
Old 06-20-23, 10:01 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2591 Post(s)
Liked 5,661 Times in 2,928 Posts
Perhaps the enemy of boredom is cycling.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 06-20-23, 10:11 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Originally Posted by Ironfish653
+1

Interactive training, whether it’s Zwift, Peloton or whatever, are certainly the key difference when it comes to indoor training.

It takes a certain level of discipline to grind away on a turbo in the garage or the basement with not much more than a training plan and a stopwatch; I for one, sure don’t have enough to stick with it for more than about 30-40 minutes before I’m looking for a reason to get off and do something else.
Watching TV or a movie, I go a lot longer, but I’m usually just mindlessly spinning away, doing “junk miles “

Zwifting, or the like, takes the mental load off of trying to set up the next interval and just lets you chase the next goal/ target
I find I can do a lot more effective work that way, especially at the end of a longer session, when I’m starting to get tired
For me, the biggest thing about Zwift is real-time interaction with other riders. I use structured workouts on occasion, but I generally prefer group rides at a specific w/kg level, depending on what I'm trying to do that day. In my area, it's not easy to find a place where I can ride at a steady effort level for an extended length of time. That kind of work is helpful for the kind of fitness I'm trying to build. On Zwift, it's easy.
Old 06-20-23, 12:02 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18430 Post(s)
Liked 15,585 Times in 7,339 Posts
I don’t Zwift, Strava, Wahoo, Peloton or order from places that require you to use a computer screen.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-20-23, 12:29 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by indyfabz
I don’t Zwift, Strava, Wahoo, Peloton or order from places that require you to use a computer screen.
No worries. I'll do what works for me. You do what works for you.
Old 06-20-23, 04:18 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Perhaps the enemy of boredom is cycling.
As long as that cycling is done outdoors, because all forms of indoor cycling including Zwift sucks in comparison to riding outdoors.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 06-20-23, 04:34 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by wolfchild
As long as that cycling is done outdoors, because all forms of indoor cycling including Zwift sucks in comparison to riding outdoors.
Is this opinion based on your extensive experience with Zwift?
Old 06-20-23, 04:55 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6975 Post(s)
Liked 10,975 Times in 4,695 Posts
With woflboy, I always mentally insert the words "in my opinion" at the end of each post. It may not be his intent, but it makes him less irritating and laughable.
Old 06-20-23, 05:31 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by Koyote
With woflboy, I always mentally insert the words "in my opinion" at the end of each post. It may not be his intent, but it makes him less irritating and laughable.
Fair enough. My question remains unchanged.
Old 06-20-23, 08:17 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
For me, the biggest thing about Zwift is real-time interaction with other riders. I use structured workouts on occasion, but I generally prefer group rides at a specific w/kg level, depending on what I'm trying to do that day. In my area, it's not easy to find a place where I can ride at a steady effort level for an extended length of time. That kind of work is helpful for the kind of fitness I'm trying to build. On Zwift, it's easy.
This is true. I think it’s my ADD, but I can maintain a noticeably higher level of effort for far longer when I have something to interact with, even if it’s just avatars, than I can when I only have the numbers on the power meter to keep my attention.

I don’t always have the option to go for a ride outside much of the time, and while indoor trainers are the cycling equivalent to non-alcoholic beer, it’s less of a struggle to get the work done in front of a screen; than when only staring at the walls of the exercise room.
Old 06-21-23, 02:56 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts

Aside from riding velodrome which is done indoors which I understand, cycling to me is an outdoor activity. Getting outdoors is what makes cycling so enjoyable and fulfilling. I have no experience with Zwift and no desire to even try one.. To enjoy a bike ride I need to be out in the real world and actually be moving and going somewhere and not just spin in one place in front of a computer screen.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 06-21-23, 04:08 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2490 Post(s)
Liked 2,961 Times in 1,682 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Aside from riding velodrome which is done indoors which I understand, cycling to me is an outdoor activity. Getting outdoors is what makes cycling so enjoyable and fulfilling. I have no experience with Zwift and no desire to even try one.. To enjoy a bike ride I need to be out in the real world and actually be moving and going somewhere and not just spin in one place in front of a computer screen.
Agreed. Just as dumb as working out with weights indoors, when you can dig ditches in the fresh air.
Old 06-21-23, 05:38 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

I have to agree with wolfchild . Being outdoors is part what makes cycling so enjoyable. If it's too cold to cycle, I will walk, hike or xc ski if I can find snow.
Old 06-21-23, 06:11 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,962 Times in 945 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
Agreed. Just as dumb as working out with weights indoors, when you can dig ditches in the fresh air.
To my amazement, I found out I enjoy outdoor physical labor that included landscaping and gardening. There is a creative aspect that I tapped into at 60 y/o that makes me proud of completing DIY projects.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 06-21-23, 08:28 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
I don't use indoor trainers. The only time I get bored is on park trails where everything looks the same.

I never get bored riding in the streets, bike lane or not.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.