Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Back after a long absence

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-23, 03:32 PM
OldRonin

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Roubaix Comp, 2022 Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 1 Post

It's been a while since I've posted to bikeforuns.net and I'm posting from a new account since I can't find
any info on the old one. A lot has happened since then as well.

Life got in the way with an elderly parent, then work and then my health.

I was just getting back into increasing my workouts when my GP suggested that I was overdue for a cardiac
workup. It was a surprise when my cardiologist told me that I'd had a mild heart attack.
At that point, they needed to do an angiogram and the results were an even bigger surprise. They discovered a major blockages
in two different arteries which resulted in three stents and a six month rehab program. I was lucky in that they didn't detect any
damage to my heart and I was told that if it wasn't for all the intensive cycling workouts, I wouldn't still be here. All the collaterals in my
heart had apparently sort of self-bypassed things and prevented any permanent damage from happening.

I AM a lot stronger though, No more bonking on hills, My cadence is lower for the same speed, partly because of age, partly because I feel
stonger. Being on Beta blockers means that my max HR gets somewhat limited and my HR is something I do have to be mindful of on my rides.
The other downside are the blood thinners. Getting a minor bruise or cut can look like I've gone 5 rounds with Mike Tyson so I have to watch out for
that. I kayak in the summer and that's something I have to be careful about. Bashing your shins and ankles on docks and rocks... It can look pretty ugly.

Fast forward another year and it was cataract surgery. I can't tell you how weird it is to be able to do things without having to wear
glasses with a literal coke-bottle lens on one side that I've had to have since I was 14.

And then came COVID. I'd been working remotely full time for many years already but having to deal with everybody else
remotely meant that I was tied to a desk constantly which resulted in my putting on 25 pounds. We've always been short staffed
and I was already working past retirement. I wasn't getting in the sort of miles I wanted to put in but I was looking forward to
doing a lot more and I was considering buying a new bike to replace the 2011 Roubaix Comp.

And so we come to today. I'm still working full time (Software Engineer) and I'm turning 70 in November. I haven't decided on when
I'm going to retire because I still like what I'm doing and I've got a bit more time to get out. So this spring I decided it was time for
a new bike. My wife said "go for it. We're both working well past retirement, our kids are grown up, the house and cottage are both paid off. You
owe it to yourself".

So last week I picked up the new bike. A brand new Specialized Roubaix Expert with Ultegra Di2.

How different is from the 2011 Roubaix Comp ? Like night and day. Smoother, faster and oddly, a better fit.

The bike fitter noticed that it literally fit me out of the box. A tweak in the seat height and a slight change in tilt in the bars and the bike is
actually a lot more comfortable even in the drops than the old one. It may be because of the narrower handlebars but the geometry is not
all that different. I did notice I was getting blown around a bit more in 25-30mph crosswinds because of profile of the Roval carbon wheels but
the numbers from my Garmin tell me that I've been a good 2-3 kph faster on the stock 30mm Turbo Pro tires on this bike compared to the 25's (GP5000s) on my old bike.
I'll probably use those up and I'll put on some Conti GP5000 tubeless.

Mind you, I spent a lot more but the upgrade was well worth it. Yes it was a lot of money but it was something that I'm grateful in that it was something that I could easily afford The thing is, I don't feel old. People at work were shocked when I told them that I was turning 70 this year. Most of them thought that I was 10 years younger.

There's nothing really wrong with the old bike and I'll probably keep it on the trainer over the winter since I've already got a spare wheel with the same 105 cassette on it with a trainer tire. I'm tempted to get a new set of wheels for it. I know that 28's will fit for sure and the LBS said that I might get away with 30's.

I was up to 100km/wk but I was out of the saddle for more than a week because of some other rather unpleasant medical procedures., Thank god I only have to do this once every 3-5 years.
Old 04-30-23, 09:27 PM
canalligators
Old guy & bikes

Bikes: Rans V-Rex, Raleigh International, Rans Sequoia, GT Timberline, Double Vision tandem, Optima Baron, old Raleighs.

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 47 Posts
Welcome back, and happy trails. I burned out once and did very little cycling for about ten years. I came back with a vengeance.
Likes For canalligators:
Old 05-01-23, 11:08 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 410 Posts
You'll like having an A and a B bike. And, strangely enough, I don't recall ever reading a post on this forum that said, "Boy, I really regret spending more for the nicer bike."
Likes For blacknbluebikes:
Old 05-03-23, 04:29 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,986 Times in 569 Posts
Welcome back!

Originally Posted by OldRonin
All the collaterals in my heart had apparently sort of self-bypassed things and prevented any permanent damage from happening.
I have read of this. Pretty great stuff ... like a natural bypass.

You're in a good situation ... you love what you do and are good at it. But at the same time, you don't really need the money.

Just a bit of advice. In your situation, worry a little less about spending money, and get busy doing the other things you want to do and have been deferring until later. At our age, there are no guarantees, and we can go for great to gravely ill in pretty short order.

"Later" is now.

Likes For Biker395:
Old 05-03-23, 06:03 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395
Just a bit of advice. In your situation, worry a little less about spending money, and get busy doing the other things you want to do and have been deferring until later. At our age, there are no guarantees, and we can go for great to gravely ill in pretty short order.
Great advice. My 3 remaining siblings are going through grave illnesses, and it makes me feel really fortunate to still have what seems to be good health.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 05-05-23, 01:56 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,836 Times in 2,229 Posts
Nice to read success after tribulation stories.

Narrower bars = A+
Old 05-10-23, 05:50 AM
Jumpski

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV disk, and rim brake

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 61 Posts
It's been a while since I've posted to bikeforuns.net and I'm posting from a new account since I can't find
any info on the old one. A lot has happened since then as well.

Life got in the way with an elderly parent, then work and then my health.

I was just getting back into increasing my workouts when my GP suggested that I was overdue for a cardiac
workup. It was a surprise when my cardiologist told me that I'd had a mild heart attack.
At that point, they needed to do an angiogram and the results were an even bigger surprise. They discovered a major blockages
in two different arteries which resulted in three stents and a six month rehab program. I was lucky in that they didn't detect any
damage to my heart and I was told that if it wasn't for all the intensive cycling workouts, I wouldn't still be here. All the collaterals in my
heart had apparently sort of self-bypassed things and prevented any permanent damage from happening.

I AM a lot stronger though, No more bonking on hills, My cadence is lower for the same speed, partly because of age, partly because I feel
stonger. Being on Beta blockers means that my max HR gets somewhat limited and my HR is something I do have to be mindful of on my rides.
The other downside are the blood thinners. Getting a minor bruise or cut can look like I've gone 5 rounds with Mike Tyson so I have to watch out for
that. I kayak in the summer and that's something I have to be careful about. Bashing your shins and ankles on docks and rocks... It can look pretty ugly.

Fast forward another year and it was cataract surgery. I can't tell you how weird it is to be able to do things without having to wear
glasses with a literal coke-bottle lens on one side that I've had to have since I was 14.

And then came COVID. I'd been working remotely full time for many years already but having to deal with everybody else
remotely meant that I was tied to a desk constantly which resulted in my putting on 25 pounds. We've always been short staffed
and I was already working past retirement. I wasn't getting in the sort of miles I wanted to put in but I was looking forward to
doing a lot more and I was considering buying a new bike to replace the 2011 Roubaix Comp.

And so we come to today. I'm still working full time (Software Engineer) and I'm turning 70 in November. I haven't decided on when
I'm going to retire because I still like what I'm doing and I've got a bit more time to get out. So this spring I decided it was time for
a new bike. My wife said "go for it. We're both working well past retirement, our kids are grown up, the house and cottage are both paid off. You
owe it to yourself".

So last week I picked up the new bike. A brand new Specialized Roubaix Expert with Ultegra Di2.

How different is from the 2011 Roubaix Comp ? Like night and day. Smoother, faster and oddly, a better fit.

The bike fitter noticed that it literally fit me out of the box. A tweak in the seat height and a slight change in tilt in the bars and the bike is
actually a lot more comfortable even in the drops than the old one. It may be because of the narrower handlebars but the geometry is not
all that different. I did notice I was getting blown around a bit more in 25-30mph crosswinds because of profile of the Roval carbon wheels but
the numbers from my Garmin tell me that I've been a good 2-3 kph faster on the stock 30mm Turbo Pro tires on this bike compared to the 25's (GP5000s) on my old bike.
I'll probably use those up and I'll put on some Conti GP5000 tubeless.

Mind you, I spent a lot more but the upgrade was well worth it. Yes it was a lot of money but it was something that I'm grateful in that it was something that I could easily afford The thing is, I don't feel old. People at work were shocked when I told them that I was turning 70 this year. Most of them thought that I was 10 years younger.

There's nothing really wrong with the old bike and I'll probably keep it on the trainer over the winter since I've already got a spare wheel with the same 105 cassette on it with a trainer tire. I'm tempted to get a new set of wheels for it. I know that 28's will fit for sure and the LBS said that I might get away with 30's.

I was up to 100km/wk but I was out of the saddle for more than a week because of some other rather unpleasant medical procedures., Thank god I only have to do this once every 3-5 years.
Your 2011 Roubaix is an excellent bike. I had one in the day. Your new Roubaix Expert Di2 is a nice bike too. Life is short. Stay safe and have fun on your new bike.
Old 05-17-23, 10:38 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,986 Times in 569 Posts
Seems appropriate. lol

Likes For Biker395:
Old 05-17-23, 08:12 PM
nalax

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It's good that they located the blockages when they did. I was having a routine checkup when I was 60 and the EKG wasn't normal. An angiogram found 75% blockage in the LAD and in went a stent.
Now I'm 74, off the blood thinner(Plavix) and still getting in the miles. The cardiologist has not given me any restrictions on riding and I'm happy
I agree, cataract surgery was great!
Old 06-01-23, 02:31 PM
Ken Brown
cycling fanatic

Bikes: Cannondale T800

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I also haven't been here for years and also had a couple of stents. Two years ago, on a cold day in February, I was doing some errands on my bike and felt the need to burp. This happened each time I exerted myself so I went to the doctor and was eventually diagnosed with angina. As the weeks passed even a short walk caused some discomfort and I had to stop until it went away. I had two stents installed in April and everything went away. Fortunately I never had a heart attack but I might have if there was a delay in getting the stents. A year later my cardiologist said he didn't want to see me again unless I again have symptoms.