Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Do you think you're younger than others your age because you're so fit?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Do you think you're younger than others your age because you're so fit?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-23, 11:24 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
Some seem to be obsessing on the topic.
As well as overdosing on braggadocio. The topic seems to stimulate the narcissistic tendencies of some as well.
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 10-01-23, 12:40 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
As well as overdosing on braggadocio. The topic seems to stimulate the narcissistic tendencies of some as well.
Counter explanation: athletes tend to be very focused on their fitness, and how they can stave off performance losses due to aging.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 10-01-23, 12:55 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 1,293 Times in 489 Posts
Originally Posted by RH Clark
You can be metabolically younger than others your same age. There are specific genetic markers that can be measured. It's also possible to "turn back" the clock so to speak 20 years or more by utilizing certain protocols. This is also scientifically measurable. I believe Dr. David Sinclair is the leading researcher at this time. His work is fascinating and worth a look.
Sinclair has done some good work in the longevity field but he has also promoted some questionable and nonviable longevity drugs. A much more careful and trustworthy researcher is Matt Kaeberlein. Check out this video of a talk he gave:
Old 10-01-23, 01:07 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by terrymorse
Counter explanation: athletes tend to be very focused on their fitness, and how they can stave off performance losses due to aging.
No doubt. It also appears that some older bicyclists, who can only very loosely be described as "athletes", are VERY focused on staving off bicycle "performance loss" (whatever that is) or achieving bicycle "performance gains" by whatever means they read/heard somewhere that might work.
Old 10-01-23, 01:13 PM
peterws

Bikes: Carrera Virtuoso and friend

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 38 Posts
Hmmm . . . I'm mentally younger than others my age because I have none of the responsibilities that even younger guys have. It shows in their demeanour, and by comparison I am the Village idiot. Stopped growing up when I was 16. Not a bad place to be sometimes, but a tad unbecoming with someone in possession of my face . . . Haha
Old 10-01-23, 01:51 PM
mackgoo

Bikes: 87 Bianchi X4, 95 Bianchi Ti Mega Tube, 06 Alan Carbon Cross X33, Gold plated Columbus AIR Guerciotti, 74 Galmozzi Super Competizione, 52 Bianchi Paris Roubaix.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 540 Times in 166 Posts
I generally feel I'm the age of the group I happen to be with, of course, unless their my age or older.
Likes For mackgoo:
Old 10-01-23, 01:56 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Well regular exercise (according to all the legit science I’ve read) does actually slow our biological ageing process and all its associated diseases.
Nothing can reverse a biological ageing process....While it's true that exercise can help us maintain good health and fitness into an old age and improve our quality of life as we age, it doesn't actually reverse a biological process of ageing. From the day you're born the clock starts ticking and you're getting older day by day and there is nothing to stop that from happening. Being healthy and fit into older years is not the same as actually reversing a biological ageing process. Believe what you want.
Old 10-01-23, 02:05 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Originally Posted by AJW2W11E
Do you think you are younger than others your age because you're so fit ?
How do you even measure fitness ?. When there are so many different activities out there which require a very specific type of fitness to perform each of those different activities What does it even mean to be fit ?
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 10-01-23, 02:18 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 1,293 Times in 489 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Nothing can reverse a biological ageing process....While it's true that exercise can help us maintain good health and fitness into an old age and improve our quality of life as we age, it doesn't actually reverse a biological process of ageing. From the day you're born the clock starts ticking and you're getting older day by day and there is nothing to stop that from happening. Being healthy and fit into older years is not the same as actually reversing a biological ageing process. Believe what you want.
That is not actually true, as shown by a lot of recent longevity science research such as that discussed in Matt Kaeberlein's video that I posted above. Although the science is still in its infancy, there is abundant evidence that regular exercise, restricted eating schedules and even some drugs (such as Rapamycin) can reverse some of the cellular hallmarks of aging.
Old 10-01-23, 02:29 PM
wolfchild
Banned

It's also possible to "turn back" the clock so to speak 20 years or more by utilizing certain protocols.
Please show me at least one living human being who managed to age 20 years backwards by using some of those special longevity protocols ??
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 10-01-23, 04:13 PM
RH Clark

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 259 Posts
Please show me at least one living human being who managed to age 20 years backwards by using some of those special longevity protocols ??
What I'm saying is that David Sinclair says he can test genetic markers to know that people have reversed their genetic age. Look him up if you are that interested.
Old 10-01-23, 05:10 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

What I'm saying is that David Sinclair says he can test genetic markers to know that people have reversed their genetic age. Look him up if you are that interested.
Heck, I can look at all the screen shots of Strava readouts and the like posted by various performance buffs on this list and read all about the bragging and obsession with boosting "performance" and health metrics numbers. The immature boasting does seem to indicate regression in maturity if not genetic age. All that is missing are recommendations from performance aficionados recommending performance enhancing drugs like the pro (used to) use in order to get that all important performance edge.

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 10-01-23 at 05:14 PM.
Old 10-01-23, 05:51 PM
RH Clark

Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 259 Posts
Heck, I can look at all the screen shots of Strava readouts and the like posted by various performance buffs on this list and read all about the bragging and obsession with boosting "performance" and health metrics numbers. The immature boasting does seem to indicate regression in maturity if not genetic age. All that is missing are recommendations from performance aficionados recommending performance enhancing drugs like the pro (used to) use in order to get that all important performance edge.
Sinclair isn't selling a combination of drugs. He is a leading researcher. Most of his longevity research involves time restricted feeding and diet related protocols. I'm just going off memory here, but certain fasting methods can increase testosterone and human growth hormone much more than incredibly expensive replacement therapy.
Old 10-01-23, 06:02 PM
Mtracer

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 194 Posts
I think I'm in much better shape than most other Americans my age, 62. I see plenty of people 20 years younger that I believe I'm in much better general health. In my case, I think much of it is just dumb luck with the genetic lottery. But that is one reason I try to take care of myself. I lot of people just get a bad hand. I've been dealt a good one, so far (knock on wood), and don't want to squander it. So, I get more than enough aerobic exercise, I trying to keep my weight under control, and try to eat reasonably healthy (could do better on that).
Old 10-01-23, 06:04 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Do you really believe everything you hear on YouTube ?....I've known about David Sinclair for quite a while and TBH I am very skeptical of his claims about reversing ageing.
Old 10-01-23, 06:29 PM
Eyes Roll

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 49 Posts
I think I am older than others my age because I am more matured.

That's what ☝️ I myself want to think and also want others to think about me. I don't want them to think I am younger, and consequently, immature.
Old 10-01-23, 08:12 PM
Random11

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Diverge, 2021 Cervelo Caledonia

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 197 Posts
I'm 74 and I feel my age in lots of ways. I know that some people my age have become sedentary, which has hurt them healthwise. But that doesn't make me feel any younger. However, when I'm riding, I feel ageless. Not 20 years younger, or half my age, but ageless. I just got back from a 107 mile ride today, and feel tired by good. I think I'm in pretty good cycling shape, but I also think I'm 74.
Likes For Random11:
Old 10-01-23, 08:18 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
"Fitness" is mitigated by "arthritis," in my experience.
Old 10-01-23, 08:35 PM
gobicycling
Made it to 84 WHOOPIE

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 493 Times in 153 Posts
Do you really believe everything you hear on YouTube ?....I've known about David Sinclair for quite a while and TBH I am very skeptical of his claims about reversing ageing.
I'll be 84 in November, what can I take to zip back 20 years to 64?
Old 10-01-23, 08:51 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
That's just plain silly. The keys to health and performance as we age are quite well known: Outside of PEDS, there's no magic, and PEDS have serious health drawbacks.
Get enough sleep.
Eat a plant-based diet.
Keep your fat percentage down
Ride lots in hilly terrain
Stretch and do strength training

Differences in outcomes are largely genetic. The endless discussions of what sort of training gets the best results should clue a person in about that. I've ridden with the same group of high performance cyclists for decades and that's just how it is.

One of my doctors once said, paraphrasing, "Your generation will be studied for many years. Yours is the first one intentionally to adopt a lifestyle designed to improve your health throughout your lifespan. We don't know exactly how you're doing that, but it'll be the subject of a lot of research." My reading says that's already happening, see the above list, which seems to apply to cyclists.

My wife and I were just starting a backpack trip a few years ago, climbing a couple thousand feet to get up on the ridgetops, when we met two women running down the trail, talking and laughing and obviously having a great time. They had tiny little packs. We asked them where they'd started. They mentioned a spot about 100 miles and 10s of thousands of feet behind them. We asked when they'd started. "Yesterday." they said. My dentist does that kind of stuff. It's happening.
Old 10-01-23, 09:23 PM
SW84

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 78 Posts
You could consider moving to Florida, and after you get settled in, start looking for the real Fountain of Youth.

Some think it's in food diets, some in exercise, some in drugs, some by plastic surgery, yet we all die sooner or later.
Old 10-01-23, 11:14 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,644 Times in 2,922 Posts
It’s not uncommon when people ask my age, which has been happening with less frequency, but due to how much I exercise, they commonly think I am ten years younger. Now that my skin is losing its elasticity and starting to wrinkle and sag it’s not an issue. My stats compared to various age groups suggest someone in their 30s fitness-wise. Mentally I know I am not as sharp but keeping the blood pumping with workouts has shown that it helps with acuity - that and Sudoku, The NY Times crossword, Spelling Bee and the others which start most days since retirement six years ago. Bragging? No, it’s just how it is.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 10-01-23, 11:23 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
No doubt. It also appears that some older bicyclists, who can only very loosely be described as "athletes", are VERY focused on staving off bicycle "performance loss" (whatever that is) or achieving bicycle "performance gains" by whatever means they read/heard somewhere that might work.
Well good for them, whether they are athletes, or “athletes”.

And one more thing: which “older bicyclists” are you referring to? I’m not sure if that was intended as a personal insult, but it kind of feels like one.

Last edited by terrymorse; 10-02-23 at 03:15 PM.
Old 10-01-23, 11:42 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,644 Times in 2,922 Posts
Even if they do, what business is it of yours to cast judgement? To each their own.

Old 10-02-23, 02:53 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
Originally Posted by davester
Sinclair has done some good work in the longevity field but he has also promoted some questionable and nonviable longevity drugs. A much more careful and trustworthy researcher is Matt Kaeberlein. Check out this video of a talk he gave: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eH6gC-tQIfs
Sinclair hasn’t “promoted” any longevity drugs. He makes that very clear In his book. His research has shown that certain drugs may improve longevity and he takes them as a personal experiment, but he is not actually promoting them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.