Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Anyone take advantage of Poseidon sale?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-23, 04:31 PM
sloar 

Bikes: they change so much I'm tired of updating this

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1212 Post(s)
Liked 1,128 Times in 427 Posts

Black Friday sale, picked the Ambition X dropbar up for $649, total of $695. I got it tonite and just finished building it. I want to go back tomorrow and trim the cables and check all the bearings, but so far everything seems ok.
Old 12-06-23, 11:44 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
No idea of the sale, but its apparently still going until December 10th. Not surprising since 'holiday sales' have been going on across all segments of cycling for months now and are expected to continue since there is such a large overall amount of excess stock that companies need to get rid of.

- The bike seems great at that price. I doubt much can be found new with higher spec.
- Advent X is solid- my wife's old MTB has that on it and its both simple and good.
- QR is lame, even at an entry pricepoint, but not surprising.
- Really wide range drivetrain spec.
- The stock brakes are pretty unimpressive, at least in my limited experience with that level of Tektro mechanical caliper.
- Surprised Poseidon hasnt gone with shifters from any of the smaller brands that route the cable under bar tape. I got using Microshift external a few years ago when components were scarce, but now? If they want to stick with Microshift, then Sword now exists...
- Geometry in XXL looks pretty good- very much middle of the road overall, except for a BB height that makes it seem like we are in 2010.

The biggest thing I saw was they want $280 to upgrade to TRP hy/rd brakes. What?!?! $280 for them?
JuinTech F1 brakes are $170 on Amazon and will deliver tomorrow.
Old 12-06-23, 12:09 PM
jonathanf2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 1,045 Times in 442 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
No idea of the sale, but its apparently still going until December 10th. Not surprising since 'holiday sales' have been going on across all segments of cycling for months now and are expected to continue since there is such a large overall amount of excess stock that companies need to get rid of.

- The bike seems great at that price. I doubt much can be found new with higher spec.
- Advent X is solid- my wife's old MTB has that on it and its both simple and good.
- QR is lame, even at an entry pricepoint, but not surprising.
- Really wide range drivetrain spec.
- The stock brakes are pretty unimpressive, at least in my limited experience with that level of Tektro mechanical caliper.
- Surprised Poseidon hasnt gone with shifters from any of the smaller brands that route the cable under bar tape. I got using Microshift external a few years ago when components were scarce, but now? If they want to stick with Microshift, then Sword now exists...
- Geometry in XXL looks pretty good- very much middle of the road overall, except for a BB height that makes it seem like we are in 2010.

The biggest thing I saw was they want $280 to upgrade to TRP hy/rd brakes. What?!?! $280 for them?
JuinTech F1 brakes are $170 on Amazon and will deliver tomorrow.
My guess is that they'll start equipping bikes with the Microshift Sword groupset next year. They probably just want to get rid of the Advent X inventory. I actually like the 2x gearing available for Sword. It has a better low gear range than GRX with the Sword 46:29t chainrings and 11-38t cassette. Plus the new shifters look pretty slick.
Likes For jonathanf2:
Old 12-06-23, 12:24 PM
sloar 

It’s not the highest quality bike, but for $700 it’s perfect for a winter bike.
Old 12-06-23, 12:41 PM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
Originally Posted by sloar
Black Friday sale, picked the Ambition X dropbar up for $649, total of $695. I got it tonite and just finished building it. I want to go back tomorrow and trim the cables and check all the bearings, but so far everything seems ok.
Curious how tall you are and what size bike you purchased? Trying to gauge the size specifications on this. Noticed the Ambition X flatbar is only $500. Am very curious on this. But looking over the specs, I'm unsure if a 6'1 person is a xlarge or xxlarge.

What is your take on their sizes?

(am considering something like this, to replace my hybrid Scott SubCross)
Old 12-06-23, 12:48 PM
sloar 

I ordered a Medium, didn’t really check on sizes. I’m 5’9” and it’s ok but I wish I would’ve ordered a large. Check their size chart before ordering.
Old 12-11-23, 01:27 PM
mr,grumpy 

Bikes: 1978(ish) Peugeot PRN10e, Specialized Tricross

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 27 Posts
You can get a Marlin 5 for less than $600 from Trek (my passing interests is in the flat bar models at almost the same price and weight with inferior components from an off-shore company). The Joutneyers are pretty cheep if you’re into drop bars. The only really cool thing about the Poseidon’s that I see is that they gave a bunch of the to YouTubers and influencers who don’t hate them. It’s hard to hate a free gift though…

2023 Salsa Journeyer
2023 Rad Rover 6
1980ish Raleigh Marathon (Vintage Steel)
2006 Trek 820 (Captain Amazing) RIP
2010 Specialized Tricross (Back in Black)
2008 Specialized Roubaix RIP
Old 12-11-23, 11:11 PM
sloar 

I actually had a Marlin 5, it was ok after I upgraded just about everything.
Old 12-13-23, 11:08 AM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 151 Posts
Fantastic company

I can vouch that they honor their warranty, stand behind their products and value their customers. I love my Redwood.

Bikepacking with the Poseidon Redwood Gravel Bike for an Overnight Trip Featuring Ortlieb Panniers
Old 12-14-23, 10:35 AM
jonathanf2

Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 1,045 Times in 442 Posts
Poseidon stopped selling their X gravel framesets only. It used to be $299 and I built out my gravel bike that way. Eventually I swapped the parts to a carbon frame, but I'm planning on rebuilding the X for a family member.
Old 12-18-23, 03:03 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
I just saw the geometry for a Poseidon Redwood and it seems...curious.
The XL bike is for people 6'3 and taller, but the stack height is 584mm and the reach is 392.2mm. What now? That is goofy. That is so absurd it doesnt even deserve to be taken seriously.
What person at 6'3, much less taller, is properly fit on a gravel bike that has a stack height of 584mm and a reach of 392.2?

A Trek Checkpoint in the largest size has 639mm of stack and 417mm of reach.
That Poseidon's stack height and reach is right between a size 54 and 56 for the Checkpoint, and Trek suggests someone about 5'9 would be between those sizes
Old 12-20-23, 10:34 PM
Joeyseven

Bikes: Fairdale Goodship

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by sloar
I ordered a Medium but didn’t really check on sizes. I’m 5’9” and it’s ok but I wish I would’ve ordered a large. Check their size chart before ordering.
That sucks, the stem is already 120. Plus as posted the stack got higher and the reach looks shorter compared to model X.
However, I believe the shorter reach is the result of the changes in the ST and HT degrees.
I was not a fan of the X geometry, and while Ambition had a big change in geo for the better, it still not that great.
Originally Posted by mr,grumpy
You can get a Marlin 5 for less than $600 from Trek (my passing interest is in the flat bar models at almost the same price and weight with inferior components from an off-shore company). The Joutneyers are pretty cheap if you’re into drop bars. The only really cool thing about the Poseidon’s that I see is that they gave a bunch of the to YouTubers and influencers who don’t hate them. It’s hard to hate a free gift though…
I get the feeling their marketing department is way better than their product. People see the low price and get excited, I would spend a little more. As bike sales are happing and they should get better.
The Microshift Advent X seems like a good groupset for the price, I might even pick one up for one of my gravel builds.

mstateglfr also brings up a lot of great points. I'm not a fan of this Poseidon, but many riders seem to enjoy riding them, and that maters lot. So I will not talk them down. much.

Last edited by Joeyseven; 12-20-23 at 11:12 PM.
Old 12-21-23, 07:25 AM
sloar 

As a dedicated gravel and trail bike I wouldn’t recommend it. I bought it as a do all winter road bike. Rural Indiana roads in the winter can get nasty with salt. Something I don’t like getting my other bikes into. I’m actually enjoying my Poseidon and have no regrets purchasing it. A few adjustments and I’m pretty happy with the fit. The brakes needed a lot of adjusting to be adequate, but other than that it’s a “fine” bike.