Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Strava Leader Board for Us Olds

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Strava Leader Board for Us Olds

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-24, 11:40 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,644 Times in 2,922 Posts
True confessions time. On Sunday, I was on a solo ride, when around a corner came a group of 20 male cyclists in the 30-40 year old range who started to passed me. I kicked it up and joined them (with permission) for about five miles. They were cruising and I enjoyed the ample draft and chit chat at the back of the pack. When back home looking at Strava, I had three PRs. What a non-shock to see I stole earned got them while riding with the group. None were honestly attained, but there they were. This is one of my pet peeves about PRs or Trophies, but such is life. Now I will have to go back and earn them legitimately.

Old 03-20-24, 08:34 AM
boozergut

Bikes: Kona Dew, Gary Fisher Paragon, Salsa Campeon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 81 Posts
The need to change my privacy settings for activities to "everyone" creeps me out. I'll keep puttering along. Yet another reason to let my premium membership lapse...
Old 03-20-24, 09:49 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
True confessions time. On Sunday, I was on a solo ride, when around a corner came a group of 20 male cyclists in the 30-40 year old range who started to passed me. I kicked it up and joined them (with permission) for about five miles. They were cruising and I enjoyed the ample draft and chit chat at the back of the pack. When back home looking at Strava, I had three PRs. What a non-shock to see I stole earned got them while riding with the group. None were honestly attained, but there they were. This is one of my pet peeves about PRs or Trophies, but such is life. Now I will have to go back and earn them legitimately.
Take the W! They don't come that often.

Whether it's wind-aided or in a pace line, a win is a win.

I ride solo these days, and I'm doing pretty well on some of the 65-69 leaderboards. But the segments where group rides go, forget about it!

Like this little rolling connector segment on Highway 84. I'm in 90th place out of 617 -- fastest 65-69 is 30.2 mph! The Noon Ride goes there.

Old 03-20-24, 09:54 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 853 Times in 446 Posts
Since I never get overall KOMs, the age category is where I look always. I'm in the top ten of a few, and that makes me happy. Also, I recently noticed that at the end of the segments list for a given workout, it lists "bests", like best 5k, best 10k, best 5 miles etc. That has really motivated me. My rides are usually lame avg mph, but sometimes I'm seeing a fairly high avg mph for a certain distance in the middle of the ride.
Likes For RB1-luvr:
Old 03-20-24, 11:04 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by RB1-luvr
Since I never get overall KOMs, the age category is where I look always. I'm in the top ten of a few, and that makes me happy. Also, I recently noticed that at the end of the segments list for a given workout, it lists "bests", like best 5k, best 10k, best 5 miles etc. That has really motivated me. My rides are usually lame avg mph, but sometimes I'm seeing a fairly high avg mph for a certain distance in the middle of the ride.
IMO, a wonderful attitude and approach. Being in the top 10 is a real accomplishment considering the number of talented people there are out there.

Like you, my average speed usually hangs around 16 MPH on long rides, (17 on short ones) but in my defense, or excuse, I live in a fairly hilly area. I do manage to hit top 10s in my age group for the roads around my immediate rural area, but there are a couple of hot shoes, whom have the top spots locked down. When I ride to the big city, Seattle, getting into the top 10 for my group is impossible, since there are so many extraordinary older cyclists there. Also, another excuse, on long rides (50-80 miles) I don’t race for segments, but conserve energy.

If you live in a larger city and are hitting the top 10, then hats off to you.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 03-21-24, 06:24 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 498 Posts
IMO, a wonderful attitude and approach. Being in the top 10 is a real accomplishment considering the number of talented people there are out there.

Like you, my average speed usually hangs around 16 MPH on long rides, (17 on short ones) but in my defense, or excuse, I live in a fairly hilly area. I do manage to hit top 10s in my age group for the roads around my immediate rural area, but there are a couple of hot shoes, whom have the top spots locked down. When I ride to the big city, Seattle, getting into the top 10 for my group is impossible, since there are so many extraordinary older cyclists there. Also, another excuse, on long rides (50-80 miles) I don’t race for segments, but conserve energy.

If you live in a larger city and are hitting the top 10, then hats off to you.
Agree and pretty much there as well.
Im no longer competitive and really dont want to look at the standings.
Some days I push and others just enjoy a nice easy Cat2 ride.
I also enjoy many diff bikes from the stable based on my mood and energy level.
Would be happy to be in the top 10 or 20 "%" like school and trying for A's and B's
Really just happy to be healthy and riding most days.
Likes For joesch:
Old 03-21-24, 06:43 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 853 Times in 446 Posts
....If you live in a larger city and are hitting the top 10, then hats off to you.
nope, I'm in central CT, not exactly a cycling hub of talent, but there are a few 60+ year old Cat 1 and Cat 2 guys in the area, such as Dave Rustico, national champ.
Old 03-21-24, 09:23 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Now I've set my sights on the Mt Hamilton climb 65-69 leaderboard. Yesterday's ride moved me up from #20 to #18. Four more minutes between me and #10.

Due to a road slip-out, there's a traffic signal 4 miles from the top, which adds to the difficulty. That can add about 1 minute to the time.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 03-21-24, 09:48 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
Now I've set my sights on the Mt Hamilton climb 65-69 leaderboard. Yesterday's ride moved me up from #20 to #18. Four more minutes between me and #10.

Due to a road slip-out, there's a traffic signal 4 miles from the top, which adds to the difficulty. That can add about 1 minute to the time.

#mounthamiltonbeast
Likes For Hermes:
Old 03-21-24, 10:03 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Originally Posted by Hermes
#mounthamiltonbeast
Fastest 65+ Low Key Hill Climb time is 1:19:29 (Joe Lemire, Cat 2).

That. Is. Out. Of. Reach!

The same year Joe set the LKHC record (2014), he also won the San Bruno Mountain Hill Climb, Nationals TT and Nationals Road Race.

Nope!

Old 03-21-24, 10:43 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
Fastest 65+ Low Key Hill Climb time is 1:19:29 (Joe Lemire, Cat 2).

That. Is. Out. Of. Reach!

The same year Joe set the LKHC record (2014), he also won the San Bruno Mountain Hill Climb, Nationals TT and Nationals Road Race.

Nope!
I remember him from the Mount San Bruno Race. That year, I was third. Imagine a sprinter on the Mount San Bruno Race podium - priceless and a bit lucky.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 03-21-24, 11:46 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Originally Posted by Hermes
I remember him from the Mount San Bruno Race. That year, I was third. Imagine a sprinter on the Mount San Bruno Race podium - priceless and a bit lucky.
Chapeau!. San Bruno is not a short climb. Definitely not a sprinter's hill. The person atop the 65+ Strava leaderboard is Richard McIntosh, set Jan. 1, 2014. Second place.

Do you want to talk about the 2013 race? Was that lucky, too?

Last edited by terrymorse; 03-21-24 at 04:13 PM.
Old 03-21-24, 12:24 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 825 Post(s)
Liked 1,659 Times in 784 Posts
Garmin Connect allows you to see segment ranks overall, and then filter by sex, age, and type of riding (recreational all the way to Pro.)
Here's a segment I rode as part of a group ride. To be honest, I didn't know it was a segment, or I would have ridden harder than #105 overall. But, add in filters (Men, 65+, recreational) and I move to #7!
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 03-24-24, 06:17 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Well, I inadvertently snagged another old guy KOM today. Just a mile long, with a couple of rollers. I wanted to give my legs some punishment today, so I stood and sprinted up the rollers.

Eastbrook Ave Climb (not really a climb)

38th overall, 1st of the 65-69 group. I'm calling that a W.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 03-24-24, 06:38 PM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Bikes: Merlin Extralight '94 & Cannondale Supersix '15

Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 263 Posts
Solid time, Terry. When I raced ABLA as an intermediate in the 70's, I trained on that climb.
As a sprinter type, my best clocked at 1:33, while my climbing brother could dip below 1:30.
The older I get, the faster I was!
On a side note, we saw the Seniors leave the bottom in about '71.
Nick Farac-Ban and Larry Glickfield chatted it up with us for a spell. Funny guys!
The race took off and those fifty or so guys went like getting shot out of a cannon!
Likes For roadcrankr:
Old 03-24-24, 09:53 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

17 PRs today and 33 ties for 2nd and 3rd fastest. You’d think there was a tailwind.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 03-25-24, 08:20 AM
DirePenguin

Bikes: 2014 Trek 8.3 DS, 2022 Trek Domane SL5

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 26 Posts
Switching the leaderboard to my age group (I’m 55), I *still* don’t have any KOM’s. 😂

But, I am in a lot more Top 10’s, so that’s good….
Likes For DirePenguin:
Old 03-25-24, 11:10 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Originally Posted by roadcrankr
Solid time, Terry. When I raced ABLA as an intermediate in the 70's, I trained on that climb.
As a sprinter type, my best clocked at 1:33, while my climbing brother could dip below 1:30.
The older I get, the faster I was!
Ah, another Hamilton fan! It's a great mountain for training fatigue resistance. My legs are still fading in the last 3 miles -- so more punishment is needed.

When I was a mere lad in my 40s, and I was having a good day, I could summit at 1:30 and not be fully gassed. I'm hoping to get close to that pace this season.

Old 03-29-24, 06:42 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked 772 Times in 404 Posts
Baul Paul had me look at Garmin stuff... I've checked a few segments and it seems I'm doing OK on some leaderboards.

Likes For Jughed:
Old 03-29-24, 08:03 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Well, I inadvertently snagged another old guy KOM today. Just a mile long, with a couple of rollers. I wanted to give my legs some punishment today, so I stood and sprinted up the rollers.

Eastbrook Ave Climb (not really a climb)

38th overall, 1st of the 65-69 group. I'm calling that a W.

Well done! Congrats

Likes For rsbob:
Old 03-29-24, 08:28 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by Bald Paul
Garmin Connect allows you to see segment ranks overall, and then filter by sex, age, and type of riding (recreational all the way to Pro.)
Here's a segment I rode as part of a group ride. To be honest, I didn't know it was a segment, or I would have ridden harder than #105 overall. But, add in filters (Men, 65+, recreational) and I move to #7!
Is this an alternative to using Strava or in concert? Using my iPad, can’t determine how you found this screen on GC.

Old 03-30-24, 06:06 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 825 Post(s)
Liked 1,659 Times in 784 Posts
Is this an alternative to using Strava or in concert? Using my iPad, can’t determine how you found this screen on GC.
From your Dashboard, go to Activities and choose a ride you've done. Scroll down a bit. If you see a number beside the SEGMENTS tab, you rode a segment (one you created, or one created by someone else.) Click the SEGMENT tab, then click the name of the segment you want to see in detail. Use filters (gender, age, level) if you choose to.

Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 03-30-24, 06:10 AM
Dino_Sore

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 39 Posts
At my age, when I look at Strava leaderboards, I'm just happy not to see my times listed as "posthumously."
Likes For Dino_Sore:
Old 03-30-24, 08:51 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Am enjoying Strava’s new feature showing personal bests. Today’s was maintaining 350 Watts for a minute. For a non-sprinter type, and more of a grinder, it was a surprise. But I’ll take it.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 04-05-24, 08:03 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

FTP test day. Two years since last test and was afraid I had back-slid. Actually, it bumped up 2 Watts which felt good. Have heard/read so many horror stories about people of advanced age (69), suffering from sarcopenia (wasting/reduction of muscle associated with age) that I put off testing so that my fear would not be realized. But, I decided to suck it up and do it anyway. One big surprise is that what I thought was my maximum HR (191) was not in fact what I hit today (200). My max HR in my 30s was 215. The real surprise was maintaining 245 Watts during the 20 minute test and kicking it up to 345 with a minute to go. Personal 5 sec best this year is 653 Watts.

Besides being pleased with the result, it also gives me confidence to continue to push hard/attack when I need/want to during my rides. Maybe doing more Z2 with one day/week of intervals is paying off.

This can’t be right, except for grossly unfit 20 year olds.

Likes For rsbob:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.