Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Trek or Treat Did I blow it on this one?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-11, 03:05 PM
soonerbills
soonerbills

Bikes: 25 at last count. One day I'll make a list

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hopefully you all can tell me something about my new to me Trek. It is a 450 Series as indicated on the TT script. I looked over the Vintage Tek pages and found very little in the way of original component set up and the such. This one has a mish mash of stuff... a Deore XT RD, Suntour Cyclone front and 105 brakes though the shifters are 105. The fellow I bought it from did put new tires on but they are a brand I am not familiar with. The wheel sets are a type I unknown to me as well. The bike will need a complete going over and I'm sure I overpaid at $200 but the frame fits me perfect and it's hard for me to find such animals.
Here's a link to more pics
https://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v1...ls/Trek%20450/

Old 05-10-11, 03:07 PM
elguicho 
Restore, ride, repeat...

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like it!
Old 05-10-11, 03:34 PM
bigbossman 
Dolce far niente

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Well.... I would have expected a bike in better condition for $200, but you did well enough on something that is both presentable and well-built. Overhaul it and ride the hell out of it - you'll be overjoyed soon enough.

BTW - I've been to Oklahoma many, many times, and I've never seen anything out there that needed a triple applied to it.

S. J. Perelman
Old 05-10-11, 03:38 PM
Alan Edwards

Bikes: 84' Ciocc, 79' Shogun 1000, 76' KHS Gran Sport, 96' Schwinn Super Sport,

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If everything works, it's your size, and your not buying it to flip, you made a good deal. Ride it for a while to see if you like it and keep looking for the next beauty, because love is fleeting. You find a nicer bike you can sell the 450 for no loss or keep it.
Old 05-10-11, 05:50 PM
sailorbenjamin

Bikes: one of each

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
The red tires are cool.
Old 05-10-11, 06:03 PM
RavingManiac

Bikes: 90 Raleigh Chill MTB, 92 Trek 1200, 2004 Trek 2300, 67 Sports, 70 Sports, 71 Philips, Lotus Challenger, 74 Super Course, Univega Gran Tourismo, Nishiki Seral

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Flickstand included.
Old 05-10-11, 06:07 PM
DVC45

Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
$200 is a keeper price. And the bike is worth it.
Congrats!
Old 05-11-11, 02:53 PM
realestvin7
Large Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Those tires are cool. Nice deal.
Old 05-11-11, 02:56 PM
Puget Pounder
Wookie Jesus inspires me.

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You did fine.
Old 05-11-11, 03:06 PM
zac

Bikes: I just ride them, they own me.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Score!

That is a ridable bike for $200, which even in its current state (probably just some cleaning, lubing and adjusting) is infinitely better than any new $200 bike. And infinitely cooler too. Hell I would give you $200 for it, almost no questions asked.

Hammer Nutrition 15% Referral Discount
MassBike.org - Same Road, Same Rules
Old 05-11-11, 03:13 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2949 Post(s)
Liked 2,970 Times in 1,515 Posts
Originally Posted by bigbossman
BTW - I've been to Oklahoma many, many times, and I've never seen anything out there that needed a triple applied to it.
that is because you do not live there! to the local those little hills are mountains

great looking bike. if I could find one of those frame I may over pay too

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 05-11-11, 03:22 PM
bigbossman 
Dolce far niente

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
that is because you do not live there! to the local those little hills are mountains
Not to mention the wind........

S. J. Perelman
Old 05-11-11, 04:16 PM
Little Darwin
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Don't forget along with the hills, there is the wind in Oklahoma... put the two together and a triple might be nice to have.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOklahoma where the dust blows freely 'cross the plain!

Or at least that's how I sing it after my 2 years there.

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 05-11-11, 09:42 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
Dude, Trek made some really great frames back then. I have an '82 614 and I'm a bought and sold Trek fan because of it. $200 is a fair price, I say.

The rims are Matrix.......Trek's in-house brand. What size are those, anyway? I kept trying to find a pic that might say, but you don't have one. I'm guessing 27"??? I like the tires, too. Nice and plump.

A black Concor saddle would look really sweet on there.

Last edited by thook; 05-11-11 at 10:52 PM.
Old 05-11-11, 10:10 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1866 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 507 Posts
I like that bike. Can you share the S/N? I'm surprised you can't find the catalog pages at Vintage Trek, searching for both color combination and S/N. Based on the lugs, it's 1985 or later. There should also be a page, at least in the catalog, that explains the tubeset. It's not high $$, but it won't be a bad rider.
Old 05-11-11, 10:17 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3104 Post(s)
Liked 6,650 Times in 3,811 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
I like that bike. Can you share the S/N? I'm surprised you can't find the catalog pages at Vintage Trek, s
"Models 300, 450, 470 and 170 were sold in 85, but did not appear in the 85 brochure."

Old 05-11-11, 10:55 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
I like that bike. Can you share the S/N? I'm surprised you can't find the catalog pages at Vintage Trek, searching for both color combination and S/N. Based on the lugs, it's 1985 or later. There should also be a page, at least in the catalog, that explains the tubeset. It's not high $$, but it won't be a bad rider.
Not high end, but close up there. Who cares about that, though? Ha! I love the fastback seat stays and how they lugged the cable exit in the chain stay. Just nice stuff.

Yay Trek!
Old 05-11-11, 11:14 PM
shopgirl

Bikes: a heavy old steel Frankenbike Gitane, a cruiser (not something I'd buy for myself, but it was a gift, what can you do?), a Greg Lemond, a Specialized Stumpjumper(old, steel, fully rigid), and a Specialized Safire

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I believe those are Armadillo tires you've got there. They're pretty nice, expensive tires, I think they cost about $100 for a pair.
Old 05-12-11, 04:19 AM
soonerbills
soonerbills

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The serial# is 197950 but I have no idea as to the proper way to decode that. I agree that the frame is an awesome piece of work. I decided to strip the bike and perform a complete rehab before putting any miles on it. On inspection I was impressed with the lug work and the finish. A new set of cables, a new chain and some new brake hoods(anyone have a source for older 105 hoods?)/pads(which ones?) are all it needs mechanically really. The tire size is 700x28c. Thanks for the rim and tire I.D! I see the mention of the 450 on Vintage Trek but was hoping to get a better idea of the original component the bike was equipped with. I'm thinking the bike was given a component upgrade but I can't be sure. I thought the Deore XT was MTB piece(I read a thing somewhere if I remember, that said Deore XT and Ultegra were of the same component level... is that true?). The BB is Ofmega Mistrial with Shimano cranks. Like I said a big mixed bags of parts.. I just don't know what's original and what's not. I can't wait to get it back together and give it a shakedown and find out how good the ride is.

Last edited by soonerbills; 05-12-11 at 04:22 AM.
Old 05-12-11, 05:07 AM
bradtx

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
soonerbills, First impression of your bike is that it's been fairly well cared for by one of it's previous owners. The purchase price may seem high to some, but I feel it's okay for a keeper. My personal rule of thumb is to pay for a keeper what I would've listed the bike on CL for.

My only experiance with Matrix rims are on my Trek 7000ZX mountain bike, they're pretty darn good. When researching the catalog take a look at models that are close in sequence. Some bikes aren't listed simply because they have a triple instead of a double or some other minor difference.

XT is the mountain bike equivalent to Ultegra and that RD is surely a replacement, IMHO... perhaps because the triple was installed?

Brad
Old 05-12-11, 09:02 AM
zac

Bikes: I just ride them, they own me.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by soonerbills
The serial# is 197950 but I have no idea as to the proper way to decode that. I agree that the frame is an awesome piece of work. I decided to strip the bike and perform a complete rehab before putting any miles on it. On inspection I was impressed with the lug work and the finish. A new set of cables, a new chain and some new brake hoods(anyone have a source for older 105 hoods?)/pads(which ones?) are all it needs mechanically really. The tire size is 700x28c. Thanks for the rim and tire I.D! I see the mention of the 450 on Vintage Trek but was hoping to get a better idea of the original component the bike was equipped with. I'm thinking the bike was given a component upgrade but I can't be sure. I thought the Deore XT was MTB piece(I read a thing somewhere if I remember, that said Deore XT and Ultegra were of the same component level... is that true?). The BB is Ofmega Mistrial with Shimano cranks. Like I said a big mixed bags of parts.. I just don't know what's original and what's not. I can't wait to get it back together and give it a shakedown and find out how good the ride is.
sooner the early Treks were issued sequential serial numbers. From the vintage-trek website, your number indicates
a 400 Series Trek
in size 21 (actually 21.5")
serial number of the run 197950-198049 (100 frames)
year of manufacture: 85

So yours was the first in that particular run of 400 series frames in size 21.5"

Trek was still small at that time, and their runs were limited to similar frames in similar sizes. Then they would set up for another run.

Those early Treks are real work horses and are quite sought after. Good find, enjoy it.

Hammer Nutrition 15% Referral Discount
MassBike.org - Same Road, Same Rules
Old 05-12-11, 09:57 AM
SoreFeet

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
If you can service the hubs without needing to find cones you got a very good deal. Even with toasted hubs it's still a good deal.
Old 05-12-11, 10:21 AM
khatfull
FBoD Member at Large

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
The internal routing of the RD cable down the chainstay is such a cool feature of these older Treks. Back when they made bikes. Does it have the Trek logo all over the lugs? Love that too.
Old 05-12-11, 10:37 AM
BHOFM

Bikes: Too many to count

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't know what you are WAA WAA'ing about, I don't like road bikes and
I would have bought that one for 2 bills in a heart beat!
Old 05-12-11, 02:46 PM
soonerbills
soonerbills

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BHOFM
I don't know what you are WAA WAA'ing about, I don't like road bikes and
I would have bought that one for 2 bills in a heart beat!

No whining here but I see posts all the time about people picking up Treks of similar years but higher up the food chain for much less than this deal. I did not hesitate to plop down the two bills when asked but still wondered if it was a good buy.. not much on knowing Trek and all you see.
Khatfull... yeah the lugs all have the Trek logo stamps(forged?) in them. Does the through frame cable guides have some kind of tube to route the cable?
Sorefeet... I found the hubs to be in excellent condition! a good cleaning and some new grease and they were good as new.

Zac... What is the diff between a 400 series and a 450? looking at your run numbers am I correct in assuming that this was the first frame produced in the run seeing that my frame is # 197950. every time i look at the frame aI notice a detail I didn't see before. The chain hangar is cast(forged?) as part of the dropout lug. Minor but cool...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.