Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Carbon handlebars

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-24, 05:00 PM
adlai

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 34 Posts
Carbon handlebars

So I just installed some carbon handlebars.

Pros: light, there is some flex, slight aero with the tops, does not transmit heat/cool like metal. Internal routing for cables is the most unique feature.

Cons: flex could one day result in breakage, internal routed cables are at odd angles.

On that last point, the brake cables line up great, the problem is the shift cables which don’t really line up with my shifters. I’m not sure who is at fault for this one, I’m thinking more the shifters.

The shifters are microshift arsis 10’s. The way the cable is routed on it there are two ways it can go, straight back or to the side at an angle. The cable exit is also at an angle and is pointed up towards the user at about a 45 degree angle.

So basically, to get it lined up doesn’t happen and keeping the housing and cable together results in the housing being bent in odd directions.

The result also is that shifting is just harder.

I dunno what to do, I put a lot of work into it. It should theoretically work.
Old 04-22-24, 06:48 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3165 Post(s)
Liked 1,723 Times in 1,041 Posts
Would it help to just run the cables externally, taped to the handlebar? That’d be the zero-cost fix, otherwise it’s either new bar, new shifters or new shifters+derailleurs.
Likes For chaadster:
Old 04-22-24, 07:48 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3697 Post(s)
Liked 5,507 Times in 2,792 Posts
If these are legit bars the website might have some instructions. If they are no name Ali/Chinese bar shaped objects, just drill some more holes, you can't make them any less safe.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 04-22-24, 10:32 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 1,743 Times in 979 Posts
Originally Posted by adlai
Cons: flex could one day result in breakage
No it doesn't. There are bikes with carbon forks on the roads by the millions. Shouldn't they be breaking all over the place if that was the case?
The shifters are microshift arsis 10’s. The way the cable is routed on it there are two ways it can go, straight back or to the side at an angle. The cable exit is also at an angle and is pointed up towards the user at about a 45 degree angle.

So basically, to get it lined up doesn’t happen and keeping the housing and cable together results in the housing being bent in odd directions.
Needs pictures.
Likes For icemilkcoffee:
Old 04-23-24, 07:54 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 415 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
If these are legit bars the website might have some instructions. If they are no name Ali/Chinese bar shaped objects, just drill some more holes, you can't make them any less safe.
Yep - just get the crash after failure over with quicker.
Likes For Jughed:
Old 04-23-24, 10:48 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3467 Post(s)
Liked 3,608 Times in 1,810 Posts
So I just installed some carbon handlebars.

Pros: light, there is some flex, slight aero with the tops, does not transmit heat/cool like metal. Internal routing for cables is the most unique feature.

Cons: flex could one day result in breakage, internal routed cables are at odd angles.
The carbon fear mythology endures.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 04-23-24, 12:42 PM
Jughed

Originally Posted by terrymorse
The carbon fear mythology endures.
These bars flexed - until they didn't... myth for some, reality for others!!!

Old 04-23-24, 02:25 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3697 Post(s)
Liked 5,507 Times in 2,792 Posts
Real carbon bars MSRP from about $300-$400. Ali "carbon bars" are as low as $45. Fear of those may not be irrational.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 04-23-24, 04:00 PM
adlai

Oh yeah, these are AliExpress specials.

​​​​​​i think the main fault with the shift cable routing is with Microshift. Those never really routed well even on normal handlebars. Microshift should have made some routing of the cable that was more lateral instead of having it jut out at an angle. Like, ideally it would have some pulley or something.

I'm thinking of spraying Teflon or something on the cable path. It does shift, but it is hard to move.

Otherwise the carbon handlebars are great. You can feel the little bit of flex and even the wider "aero" parts of the bar are more comfortable for me.
Old 04-23-24, 04:18 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 829 Post(s)
Liked 1,676 Times in 789 Posts

​​​​​​i think the main fault with the shift cable routing is with Microshift. Those never really routed well even on normal handlebars. Microshift should have made some routing of the cable that was more lateral instead of having it jut out at an angle. Like, ideally it would have some pulley or something.

I'm thinking of spraying Teflon or something on the cable path. It does shift, but it is hard to move.

Otherwise the carbon handlebars are great. You can feel the little bit of flex and even the wider "aero" parts of the bar are more comfortable for me.
FWIW, I have Whisky carbon bars, around $225. There isn't any flex. Zero. If I were you, I'd get a good set of alloy bars and toss those AliExpress 'flexies' in the trash.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 04-23-24, 04:29 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 5004 Post(s)
Liked 8,175 Times in 3,867 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
FWIW, I have Whisky carbon bars, around $225. There isn't any flex. Zero. If I were you, I'd get a good set of alloy bars and toss those AliExpress 'flexies' in the trash.
Which Whisky bars do you have? I have the Spano carbon on my gravel bike, and have found the flex to be a nice feature.
Old 04-23-24, 04:42 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 829 Post(s)
Liked 1,676 Times in 789 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
Which Whisky bars do you have? I have the Spano carbon on my gravel bike, and have found the flex to be a nice feature.
Road bars, 9F
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 04-23-24, 04:43 PM
adlai

Are there more flexible shifter cables? I think I'm using the standard ones but the flex that this shifter puts them through is just too much. Have there been any advances? Maybe the arsis 10 was designed for different shift housings
Old 04-23-24, 04:58 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4403 Post(s)
Liked 4,036 Times in 2,693 Posts
Originally Posted by Jughed
These bars flexed - until they didn't... myth for some, reality for others!!!

Keep in mind though those are some random no-name bars from Alibaba and his 40 thieves so the flex there was probably not intentional it was just a quality issue. Most quality carbon bars from known qualities and quantities do not have these problems and if they do it is usually from a crash or some incident beyond normal riding.
Old 04-23-24, 05:01 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse x2, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata 3

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1971 Post(s)
Liked 1,491 Times in 1,034 Posts
So I just installed some carbon handlebars. ... Cons: flex could one day result in breakage, ...
Does anyone else notice the incongruity?
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 04-23-24, 05:22 PM
Jughed

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Keep in mind though those are some random no-name bars from Alibaba and his 40 thieves so the flex there was probably not intentional it was just a quality issue. Most quality carbon bars from known qualities and quantities do not have these problems and if they do it is usually from a crash or some incident beyond normal riding.
Yep… and that is what we were joking about early in the thread… about them being knockoffs.

My bars came on a used Giant TCX. I didn’t know anything about them, Google turned up with a raving review from Trace Velo… so I figured how bad could they be? Well, 5 broken bones bad.

Then ole Trace posted videos of the bars assploding for him and a buddy.

OP - get those things off your bike ASAP.
Likes For Jughed:
Old 04-23-24, 08:15 PM
Sierra_rider

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur 4 TR, Canyon Endurace cf sl, Canyon Ultimate cf slx, Canyon Strive enduro, Canyon Grizl sl8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 900 Times in 360 Posts
I'm no carbon fiber expert...what I do know has come from doing carbon fiber repair on a bike and making small parts out of CF...but flexy Ali bars screams "void spaces and uneven resin application," to me. Reputable manufacturers can engineer some flex into carbon fiber, but these el cheapo bars probably don't have much in the way of engineering behind them. I'm guessing the extent of their engineering is just going for a thicker carbon lay up, splooging some resin in there, and hoping that the defects aren't readily noticeable to the end user.

Last edited by Sierra_rider; 04-23-24 at 08:31 PM. Reason: muh grammar is willy pour
Likes For Sierra_rider:
Old 04-23-24, 08:27 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4403 Post(s)
Liked 4,036 Times in 2,693 Posts
Yep… and that is what we were joking about early in the thread… about them being knockoffs.

My bars came on a used Giant TCX. I didn’t know anything about them, Google turned up with a raving review from Trace Velo… so I figured how bad could they be? Well, 5 broken bones bad.

Then ole Trace posted videos of the bars assploding for him and a buddy.

OP - get those things off your bike ASAP.
Ok at least you didn't buy them new. Don't know Trace Velo but the brief look into them it is a Youtoobs channel focused on buying cheap parts which is fun to watch but not one I would use to start buying parts without true long term reviews with real world riding conditions. 5 broken bones is quite bad luckily it seems as if you have likely healed or are healing at this point.
Old 04-23-24, 08:31 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7662 Post(s)
Liked 3,506 Times in 1,850 Posts
I have CF bars---not AliXPress, but Topeak .... on a couple bikes and they are just fine after years of hard riding. Cheap Chinese CF? You bet. Good bars ... well, I actually made that bet, and so far I am winning.

Like the CF frames every swore would assplode .... ten years ago ..... I don't mind waiting for the eventual catastrophe which happens after I have already expired from other causes.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 04-23-24, 09:16 PM
CrimsonEclipse

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked 660 Times in 389 Posts

Cons: flex could one day result in breakage
Nope
CF by nature endures flexing with a relatively unlimited load cycles compared to aluminum or even quality steel.

I'll let everyone else regurgitate the same old CF arguments...

Last edited by CrimsonEclipse; 04-24-24 at 08:26 AM.
Likes For CrimsonEclipse:
Old 04-23-24, 11:16 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 1,743 Times in 979 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
I have CF bars---not AliXPress, but Topeak .... on a couple bikes and they are just fine after years of hard riding. Cheap Chinese CF? You bet. Good bars ... well, I actually made that bet, and so far I am winning.
Topeak is exactly the bar that failed on Tracevelo:
Old 04-24-24, 02:04 AM
Jughed

Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
Topeak is exactly the bar that failed on Tracevelo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GF5AXiYfOBg&t=549s

ToSeek assplode, not Topeak.
Old 04-24-24, 02:51 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 4451 Post(s)
Liked 4,911 Times in 3,041 Posts
Carbon bars are great, but not something to go cheap on for obvious reasons.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 04-24-24, 02:58 AM
hidetaka

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 10 Posts
Yeah, cheap stuff is flexy garbage, expensive parts have engineered compliance for rider comfort and safety.
Pigs sweat, gentlemen perspire
Old 04-24-24, 03:50 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 4451 Post(s)
Liked 4,911 Times in 3,041 Posts
ToSeek assplode, not Topeak.
I'm pretty sure Topeak doesn't make carbon bars, so I think it was a typo.

Last edited by PeteHski; 04-24-24 at 04:12 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.