Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

DIY re-upholster saddle?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

DIY re-upholster saddle?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-23, 02:21 PM
mara777

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
DIY re-upholster saddle?

I have an old road bike that I use to do recreational rides with my children. It has an old Avocet Gelflex saddle with a cloth cover. The cover is stretched out and falling off since the bike was stored in my garage rafters for more than a decade. This saddle is comfortable and I prefer not buying a replacement. but as is, it transfers black particles (from the inside cushioning) onto my inner thighs. I'd like to find a DIY solution to recover the saddle if possible.
Old 08-18-23, 02:38 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
Get a staple gun, some 3M headliner spray glue, and some leather or fabric of your choice. Pull off the old top and pull all the staples, staple half the new cover in place, spray in the glue, stretch it really tight, and staple the other half. That is literally how the pros do it.

I am halfway through doing it myself. I think it is easier for the pros.
Old 08-18-23, 02:53 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 318 Posts

I am also in the process of doing this with one of my saddles. Not planning to use staples though (the original didn't use any), so I need to do some more precise trimming before applying the adhesive. Also some of the padding came off with the original cover, and while I've managed to fill some pieces back in, it won't be perfect. Hoping it won't be noticeable, but might go double layer with the leather just to be safe.
Likes For tFUnK:
Old 08-18-23, 04:05 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
I'd throw the whole thing out. You're likely to find that the foam has degraded.
Likes For rollagain:
Old 08-18-23, 04:11 PM
Chuck Naill

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 120 Posts
Yes, get a used one from members here or purchase a new one.
Old 08-18-23, 05:45 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3148 Post(s)
Liked 1,713 Times in 1,034 Posts
Wow…for as cheap as new saddles can be had, it’s hard to see how trying to rehab a 40 year old saddle, which the owner hasn’t ridden in a decade, could possibly be worth the time and effort. It’s very easy to imagine it being a total failure and waste of time.
Likes For chaadster:
Old 08-18-23, 05:59 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked 1,376 Times in 721 Posts
Don't allow the fear of a less than desirable outcome deter you from giving it a go. I have a Turbo saddle I have worn through the suede covering and will be attempting a recover this winter. The foam is slightly worn in the spots where the suede has worn through, but that will not stop me from digging in and doing the job. I will be leaving the original cover on and simply covering over it with new suede. Who cares if it is less than perfect, it is the experience and what I can learn from it that counts.
Likes For TiHabanero:
Old 08-18-23, 06:47 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Doing it for the sake of doing it is vastly different from doing it because you “prefer not to replace” it.
Old 08-18-23, 07:50 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1138 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
i replaced my saddle last year and noticed that the vinyl was stapled on. it was then that i thought about reupholstering it myself. didn't think this was a thing. now i'll probably do it since the saddle is otherwise good. can't do any harm, will probably just learn how not to do it next time if there ever is a next time. i say do it and learn something.
Old 08-18-23, 09:36 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
Well, mara, if you want to try recovering it, there's a specific tool you will need--assuming it's stapled together:

https://www.sailrite.com/Staple-Lifter

Get this original brand name; you can thank me later. You will definitely need an electric staple gun that will accept various widths of staples, since I think the ones used on bike saddles are narrower than standard. Good luck finding an exact replacement for the original foam.
Old 08-18-23, 11:07 PM
Desert Ryder
Henderson, NV

Bikes: Trek Alpha 3700, GT STS DH, Raleigh Grand Prix, Fisher Montare, Fisher CR-7, Fisher Aquila, Diamondback Sorrento, The Bike Beat Revolution, KHS XC 504R

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 288 Posts
I'm looking into buying a few lycra seat covers for some of my well worn/torn saddles.
Available on amazon and ebay as well as other sellers.
Some examples I've looked at:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09FK97YPT...ding=UTF8&th=1

https://www.ebay.com/itm/38511299184...Bk9SR_Ccy8LBYg

https://absurdudeez.com/seatcovers.html
Old 08-19-23, 12:27 AM
viperocco

Bikes: 05 Fuji Outland Pro, Fuji cape may, Giant simple single, Peugeot Corbier, Miyata 215st

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
Don't allow the fear of a less than desirable outcome deter you from giving it a go. I have a Turbo saddle I have worn through the suede covering and will be attempting a recover this winter. The foam is slightly worn in the spots where the suede has worn through, but that will not stop me from digging in and doing the job. I will be leaving the original cover on and simply covering over it with new suede. Who cares if it is less than perfect, it is the experience and what I can learn from it that counts.
i agree. I used an old pair of jeans to rehab an old gel seat.
Old 08-19-23, 04:13 AM
Ramshackle

Bikes: Litespeed Adecco, Specialized Roubaix SL4

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 13 Posts
I've got an SMP stratos saddle where the padding has disintegrated. I took off the worn leather cover but I can't find padding to rebuild it. Any ideas would be appreciated. By the way, the reason I want to rebuild the saddle is that I don't want to spend $250 or so on a new saddle.
Old 08-19-23, 04:25 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
Wow…for as cheap as new saddles can be had, it’s hard to see how trying to rehab a 40 year old saddle, which the owner hasn’t ridden in a decade, could possibly be worth the time and effort. It’s very easy to imagine it being a total failure and waste of time.
I wouldn't put too much into the project, but... I have a couple 40 year old saddles that are still comfy so it isn't necessarily beyond hope if the OP is really attached to it.
Old 08-19-23, 04:46 AM
viperocco

Bikes: 05 Fuji Outland Pro, Fuji cape may, Giant simple single, Peugeot Corbier, Miyata 215st

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Ramshackle
I've got an SMP stratos saddle where the padding has disintegrated. I took off the worn leather cover but I can't find padding to rebuild it. Any ideas would be appreciated. By the way, the reason I want to rebuild the saddle is that I don't want to spend $250 or so on a new saddle.
check local upholstery shop for material.
Old 08-19-23, 07:28 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by staehpj1
I wouldn't put too much into the project, but... I have a couple 40 year old saddles that are still comfy so it isn't necessarily beyond hope if the OP is really attached to it.
Fair enough, but this was not described as a case of nostalgic attachment and I wasn’t saying it was hopeless, but it did strike me as a really odd thing to want to undertake just because they find it comfy. Rec rides with the kids does not seem particularly demanding of a saddle.

Well let’s see; maybe the OP is the next Busyman.
Old 08-19-23, 07:34 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by Ramshackle
Maybe try reaching out to Carson Leh in Austin, TX, who does custom saddle recovering. He may be able to point you to a padding source.
Old 08-19-23, 09:53 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
The Magic of Google:
https://www.instructables.com/How-to...-bicycle-seat/
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 08-19-23, 11:47 AM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Sometimes I think doing something like this seems interesting. And I’ll save a little money.

Then I realize how little dollars per hour I’ll make repairing it.

And how far behind I am in other projects.

And how I know I’ll be interrupted repeatedly by the wife and kids when I’m halfway into it….
Likes For SkinGriz:
Old 08-19-23, 02:15 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,969 Times in 4,692 Posts
Many years ago, my local cobbler re-covered an old saddle for me with a nice piece of smooth leather from his scraps pile. I have no recollection, but can't imagine that I paid him more than $20 or so, and the saddle lasted many more years.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 08-19-23, 05:06 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Many years ago, my local cobbler re-covered an old saddle for me with a nice piece of smooth leather from his scraps pile. I have no recollection, but can't imagine that I paid him more than $20 or so, and the saddle lasted many more years.
That’s the best bet.
Have had cobblers rebuild work boots and I think it’s a good idea to get in the good graces of a good cobbler.
Likes For SkinGriz:
Old 08-20-23, 02:45 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 1,839 Times in 832 Posts
I recover saddles by the dozens for my own use and for bicycle nonprofits. Even recovered several Avocets to bring them back to like-new condition. Yes, once you've removed the old cover you need to look at the pad and see what shape it's in, but discoloration doesn't always mean degradation. Saddles with actual gel inserts can a problem - if the gel is leaking, it's a lost cause.

For a full step-by-step example of my saddle-recovering method, see: https://www.bikeforums.net/22919667-post6396.html

Originally Posted by Desert Ryder
I'm looking into buying a few lycra seat covers for some of my well worn/torn saddles.
Available on amazon and ebay as well as other sellers.
Some examples I've looked at:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09FK97YPT...ding=UTF8&th=1

https://www.ebay.com/itm/38511299184...Bk9SR_Ccy8LBYg

https://absurdudeez.com/seatcovers.html
Thanks for digging these up. I may skip the "ORGYPETS" brand from China, but the Absurdeez look to be right in the sweet spot of price and style. I currently obtain my covers in bulk from either Aardvark Cycling Accessories in Utah or my sister, who said "I can make those too!" and has been doing a great job.

Covers can vary in size, so be careful when ordering. A cover sized for a narrow road saddle won't fit a beach cruiser all that well, and vice versa. Aardvark sells two sizes ('road' & 'MTB'), and my sister makes covers in sizes from kiddie bike to really big cruiser size.

One thing I make sure I do on every saddle is to firmly secure the cover, either by placing it in a saddle's existing lip or edge or by using thin wire (passed through small holes in the cover made with an awl) tying the bottom together. The elastic on most aftermarket covers is just not enough to keep rubbing or "vacuum butt" from eventually working the cover off and having it fall to the ground, lost forever. Here's a diagram I include when I forward covers to others:

Last edited by RCMoeur; 08-20-23 at 02:54 PM. Reason: discuss gooey gel, include wire diagram for securing cover
Likes For RCMoeur: