Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Watch out for the wildlife ... and travel in packs

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-24, 09:17 AM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts

https://www.yahoo.com/news/women-pin...l&uh_test=0_00
Old 03-18-24, 09:46 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,836 Times in 2,229 Posts
Not the first mtn cyclist to be attacked by a cat in the N. Bend area. Been ~2years since the last attack on two guys. Yeah, forested mountainous wilderness cycling has wildlife hazards. Thankfully, all the wild has not been hunted to extinction. Reintroducing wolves in the N. Cascades (and other places) has been prioritized. It's not just a human planet.

As a summer-time wilderness forest ranger for many years, hiking the Cascades 4 days/3 nights per week mostly alone = I never saw a cougar or a bear.
Old 03-18-24, 10:41 AM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 374 Posts
Apparently the size difference between most men and women on a bike is enough to make a significant difference on how often the latter are attacked, oh, and the YT videos of ostriches chasing cyclists are addictive...
Old 03-18-24, 11:14 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
Not the first mtn cyclist to be attacked by a cat in the N. Bend area.
For the record, they were on road bikes (or possibly gravel bikes).

Old 03-18-24, 04:00 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,087 Times in 1,182 Posts
I almost rode up the butt of a NM Cinnamon bear near Taos once. I always rode alone. Did a ton of exploring in the Santa Fe Nat’l Forest, specially the region west of SF called the Caja Del Rio. I was all over that place, only recently read that it’s inhabited by mountain lion, bear, coyote and wild horses. Never saw anything except cows.
Old 03-18-24, 04:23 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 694 Posts
If I had you use my Road Bike to fight a Cougar off my buddy, he's not gonna make it!

Barry
Likes For Barry2:
Old 03-18-24, 04:39 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
I once had a Long Horn running with me inside its barbwire fence. Then suddenly, NO FENCE! It had been knocked down by some late night driver. Still the Long Horn just continued to run with me inside the fence line as if it was there...

Around here Long Horns are pretty docile... Till they aren't...
Old 03-18-24, 04:42 PM
50PlusCycling

Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked 820 Times in 412 Posts
I’ve been planning a ride in Hokkaido next summer, and bears have become a serious concern. As the human population has been shifting from the countryside to the cities, the rural areas are drying up. Hunting at one time was a popular pastime, but few people hunt anymore. The forests are gradually absorbing the areas where people used to live, and the lack of hunters has caused an explosion in the wildlife population, including bears. Last year saw a record of bear sightings and attacks, and fatalities are common. The number of boar attacks has also increased. Cyclists, runners, and hikers wear bells, as these are said to warn the bears and other wildlife of your approach, so you don’t roll up and surprise them.
Old 03-18-24, 04:44 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Originally Posted by Barry2
If I had you use my Road Bike to fight a Cougar off my buddy, he's not gonna make it!...
Your Buddy? Or the Cougar?

Old 03-18-24, 04:48 PM
zandoval 

Originally Posted by 50PlusCycling
I’ve been planning a ride in Hokkaido next summer, and bears have become a serious concern. ... Cyclists, runners, and hikers wear bells, as these are said to warn the bears and other wildlife of your approach, so you don’t roll up and surprise them.
Wow... What kind of methods are allowed in Japan for you to defend yourself? I have heard they are pretty strict...
Old 03-18-24, 05:05 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,572 Times in 7,335 Posts
Just be a badass and you’ll stand a better chance.

I actually alerted this bugger to my presence. He was kind enough to pose for a few photos before continuing on with his morning.

Old 03-18-24, 05:14 PM
50PlusCycling

Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked 820 Times in 412 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval
Wow... What kind of methods are allowed in Japan for you to defend yourself? I have heard they are pretty strict...
In the cities you don’t need to defend yourself, there is basically no crime. Those who live in bear country can carry a rifle or shotgun, getting a gun permit in Japan is about has hard as getting a drivers license.
Likes For 50PlusCycling:
Old 03-18-24, 06:10 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,646 Times in 2,924 Posts
Not the first mtn cyclist to be attacked by a cat in the N. Bend area. Been ~2years since the last attack on two guys. Yeah, forested mountainous wilderness cycling has wildlife hazards. Thankfully, all the wild has not been hunted to extinction. Reintroducing wolves in the N. Cascades (and other places) has been prioritized. It's not just a human planet.

As a summer-time wilderness forest ranger for many years, hiking the Cascades 4 days/3 nights per week mostly alone = I never saw a cougar or a bear.
I bet a cougar or two saw you.

Old 03-18-24, 06:14 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by zandoval
Your Buddy? Or the Cougar?

I didn’t feel like riding that far off route to meet a cougar.

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 03-18-24, 06:21 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1804 Post(s)
Liked 1,444 Times in 993 Posts
Meh, I live in the Los Angeles suburbs and its not unique to see a coyote walking along a street, especially in the early morning hours before and just about dawn. The local MUP has quite a few park areas next to it and you'll see coyotes along there on a regular basis if out on an early morning weekday ride.
Likes For skidder:
Old 03-18-24, 06:32 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by skidder
Meh, I live in the Los Angeles suburbs and its not unique to see a coyote walking along a street, especially in the early morning hours before and just about dawn. The local MUP has quite a few park areas next to it and you'll see coyotes along there on a regular basis if out on an early morning weekday ride.
There are many living in Cook County, IL, including in Chicago. They have been there for a long time. Interactions with humans are very rare.

We have had at least three bears come through Philly in the last six years. And they are only the ones we know about. Several years ago, I was returning from a weekend tour and had to take a nature break while riding an extremely popular rail-trail. I pulled off and wandered into a wooded area just off the trail where there was a creek. I saw bear tracks and pile of scat back there.
Old 03-18-24, 06:51 PM
indyfabz

I took this photo after the HUGE bear had departed. It was easily 600 lbs. Probably larger as it was September and had been fattening up for the winter.

When I get out of my tent before sunrise and went to toss some papers I saw the dumpsters had been raided. First I though it might have been raccoons, but then noticed the big pile of scat you can see on the left side of the photo. Walked back to the tent and noticed a smaller pile of scat about 15' from my site. Made coffee and ate my breakfast while keeping my head on a swivel. Packed up, walked the bike around to the front of the campground and leaned it up against a bench. As I was about to put on my helmet and turn on my lights, I heard the sound of bottles clinking. The bugger strolled out from between the dumpsters. We stared at each other from about 25' away. Not the way I wanted to start my morning. Fortunately, he realized what a badass I am and ambled off. This was in NW PA. The campground is very close to the Allegheny National Forest, which is a place know to have a bear or 100. Notice the mural in one of the dumpsters. It angers me when people don't take precautions in bear country. As a side note, the outside perimeter fence of FCI McKean is not far behind those dumpsters. That's the medium security prison where actor Wesley Snipes had served 3 year for tax evasion. Always bet on black (bears).

Old 03-18-24, 07:17 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,836 Times in 2,229 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
I bet a cougar or two saw you.

I live at 800' on Cougar Mt. Surrounded by a King County wildlands park. Bear, bobcat and coyote each spotted occasionally during daylight in our 'end of th road up ^' neighborhood. No cougars spotted in my 17 years here.

In 8 years of summer hiking with USFS @ N Bend region, there was not (to the best of my memory) a cougar attack on forest service lands in the I-90 or Hwy410 corridors. That's a lot of hikers, into a lot of wilderness terrain.

Maybe herds of deer or more plentiful smaller prey in the larger grassy fields in certain areas draw the cougars and bobcats - notably N Bend. I don't know. I always thought cougars, over years, covered a fairly wide range, but NBend has had several in recent years. Do I remember 3 in 5-ish years?

Last edited by Wildwood; 03-18-24 at 08:22 PM.
Old 03-18-24, 08:01 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,646 Times in 2,924 Posts
I live at 800' on Cougar Mt. Surrounded by a King County wildlands park. Bear, bobcat and coyote each spotted occasionally during daylight in our 'end of th road up ^' neighborhood. No cougars spotted in my 17 years here.

In 8 years of summer hiking with USFS @ N Bend region, there was not (to the best of my memory) a cougar attack on forest service lands in the I-5 or Hwy410 corridors. That's a lot of hikers, into a lot of wilderness terrain.

Maybe herds of deer or more plentiful smaller prey in the larger grassy fields in certain areas draw the cougars and bobcats - notably N Bend. I don't know. I always thought cougars, over years, covered a fairly wide range, but NBend has had several in recent years. Do I remember 3 in 5-ish years?
I live 1/2 mile from The Falls at the separator between Toukul east and west. My wife saw a mountain lion a mere 100 yards from our house last year. Two days ago saw a bobcat on the trail cam in our front yard - have seen two in the last three years. We had a momma bear and her cubs walk across our front lawn as well regular deer and a few coyotes. When mountain biking on the back hill, I have run into bear and coyotes. 3/4 mile from one of my favorite single tracks is where the most recent attack on the woman occurred. Talking to other mountain bikers, they have seen the cats near one creek where the deer drink. Fish and Wildlife have reported there is a mother cat and her two offspring in the immediate area. It wouldn’t be a stretch to believe on of the attacking young cougars was one of her offspring.

I have hiked with my dog all the trails up and down I-90 to the pass multiple times and never seen any cats or bear. However the dog has stopped on trails 4-5 times and refused to proceed. I couldn’t see around the next corner or whatever, but chose instead to backtrack.

Last edited by rsbob; 03-18-24 at 08:14 PM.
Likes For rsbob:
Old 03-19-24, 04:52 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
The odds of being attacked are very low. On my home trails we have coyotes and a few bobcats which I don't consider a threat. Black bears are pretty scarce on the trails I use for my daily rides so not much of a concern. More bears on some other trails I ride now and then, but still not much concern. I guess if you were a worry wart you could worry about the wild hogs too.

Other places I have travelled to and ridden have had grizzlies and cougars, but still, not worth losing too much sleep over them. Plenty of other things more likely to kill you to worry about. Or better yet live without worry at least when riding your bike
Likes For staehpj1:
Old 03-19-24, 07:08 AM
indyfabz

This guy was by the side of the Pine Creek Trail in PA. My cough startled him, causing him to jump into the creek. I nearly wipe out slamming on the brakes so I could fire up the camera and get some shots before he disappeared into the brush.

Old 03-19-24, 07:19 AM
Steel Charlie

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 286 Posts
I have to admit that I am way more concerned about feral humans - tho I think bear spray would work on them too
Old 03-20-24, 08:36 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
started using bear bells on my bike. my late Dad had 2 he used while hiking. one which is just on a string & 2 bells on a leather strap. been experimenting where to hang them so that they jingle enough
helps ppl hear me coming on shared paths too. I can give them an extra jingle w/ my hand of nec.

Old 03-20-24, 08:50 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
started using bear bells on my bike. my late Dad had 2 he used while hiking. one which is just on a string & 2 bells on a leather strap. been experimenting where to hang them so that they jingle enough
helps ppl hear me coming on shared paths too. I can give them an extra jingle w/ my hand of nec.
"Bear bells may be a popular item to put on your backpack, but they don’t effectively warn a bear you’re in the area. Bears won’t hear the bells until you’re too close. Yelling, clapping, and talking are more effective ways of alerting a bear to your presence."

https://www.nps.gov/articles/hiking-...20dirt%20road.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 03-20-24, 08:59 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
"Bear bells may be a popular item to put on your backpack, but they don’t effectively warn a bear you’re in the area. Bears won’t hear the bells until you’re too close. Yelling, clapping, and talking are more effective ways of alerting a bear to your presence."

https://www.nps.gov/articles/hiking-...20dirt%20road.
good to know! I don't really use them for bear. cute little unleashed dogs that bite are more my concern. also so ppl I'm approaching have a clue I'm coming but these bells are not very loud, like a bike bell would be

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.