Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Indoor Trainers - Conversion to miles ridden?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-07, 11:27 AM
JC 911

Bikes: 2010 Felt F1 SL, 2007 Trek Madone, 2007 Klein Q Elite XV, 2006 Lemond Tete de Course, 20099 Salsa Chili Con Cross Team Clif,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Is there some conversion chart or something out there where I can figure out how many miles I have ridden on my indoor trainer? I obviously will have time and also cadence off my cyclecomputer.
Old 04-11-07, 11:31 AM
bdcheung
Carpe Diem

Bikes: 2007 CAAD9; 2014 CAADX; PedalForce CG1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Why do you want to know? 1 mile on the trainer is not equal to 1 mile on the road.
Old 04-11-07, 11:35 AM
slowandsteady
Faster but still slow

Bikes: Trek 830 circa 1993 and a Fuji WSD Finest 1.0 2006

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
That factors in things like coefficient of friction, body weight, and wind speed?
Old 04-11-07, 11:41 AM
JC 911

Bikes: 2010 Felt F1 SL, 2007 Trek Madone, 2007 Klein Q Elite XV, 2006 Lemond Tete de Course, 20099 Salsa Chili Con Cross Team Clif,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd like to satisfy my curiosity more than anything.
Old 04-11-07, 11:43 AM
bdcheung
Carpe Diem

Bikes: 2007 CAAD9; 2014 CAADX; PedalForce CG1

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
then the easiest way to do this would be to get a bike computer with a rear-mounted sensor. I'm sure there's a math formula that can derive distance based on your cadence, gearing and wheel circumference, but really, it'll be a hassle.
Old 04-11-07, 12:01 PM
Miller2

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bdcheung
Why do you want to know? 1 mile on the trainer is not equal to 1 mile on the road.

LOL..1 mile is 1 mile whether it is trainer or road. The only difference is the factors that make that very same 1 mile more or less difficult.
Old 04-11-07, 12:09 PM
slowandsteady
Faster but still slow

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Miller2
LOL..1 mile is 1 mile whether it is trainer or road. The only difference is the factors that make that very same 1 mile more or less difficult.

Stop thinking so literally and pointing out things everybody knows. That isn't the point. Riding 1 mile on a trainer is far easier than 1 mile on the road. Therefore it is pointless to try and even calculate it.

There are so many variables that go into how different it feels riding on the road versus the trainer that you cannot come up with a conversion.
Old 04-11-07, 12:16 PM
Miller2

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by slowandsteady
Stop thinking so literally and pointing out things everybody knows. That isn't the point. Riding 1 mile on a trainer is far easier than 1 mile on the road. Therefore it is pointless to try and even calculate it.

There are so many variables that go into how different it feels riding on the road versus the trainer that you cannot come up with a conversion.

Simmer down dude...i was just kidding. Oh and 1 mile downhill on the road would be easier than 1 mile on a trainer or rollers.
Old 04-11-07, 12:19 PM
CdCf
Videre non videri

Bikes: 1 road bike (simple, light), 1 TT bike (could be more aero, could be lighter), 1 all-weather commuter and winter bike, 1 Monark 828E ergometer indoor bike

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Ride 20 miles outside with a HR monitor, and take note of the time it took you to ride those 20 miles. Get on your trainer and ride for the same amount of time, and get your average HR and max HR up to the same numbers as for the outdoor ride. The number of miles you rode on your trainer, divided by 20, will then give you a nice conversion factor.
Old 04-11-07, 12:23 PM
kensuf
My idea of fun

Bikes: '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '02 Kona Lavadome, '07 Giant TCR Advanced, '07 Karate Monkey

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by JC 911
Is there some conversion chart or something out there where I can figure out how many miles I have ridden on my indoor trainer? I obviously will have time and also cadence off my cyclecomputer.
Take your average pace for the equivilent work on the street. Now multiply that by the number of hours you've spent on the trainer. Don't forget the boredom coefficient.
Old 04-11-07, 12:30 PM
slowandsteady
Faster but still slow

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Miller2
Simmer down dude...i was just kidding. Oh and 1 mile downhill on the road would be easier than 1 mile on a trainer or rollers.

Depends on the speed and the hill.
Old 04-11-07, 12:34 PM
gobes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JC 911
If you know your cadence, and what gear you were riding in (e.g. 53x17) you could calculate the speed. To calculate your speed you would also have to know the circumference of you tire.
Then along with the time you could calculate distance.
Old 04-11-07, 12:36 PM
donrhummy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The only way to do it is get a power meter and HRM. That's it. Nothing else will give you a clear indication of the effort and power output.

however, that still won't "translate" into miles, just as an outside ride doesn't either. If you ride 20 miles outside at 20 mph but there's no wind and then two days later you ride 20 miles at 15 mph but there's a 15 mph wind going against you, it doesn't mean you lost ability.
Old 04-11-07, 12:37 PM
cat4ever
Cat WTF

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No tailwind on a trainer.
Old 04-11-07, 12:40 PM
Cypress
Globo Gym lifetime member

Bikes: Fast ones

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 306 Posts
Don't count distance on trainers. Count time.
Old 04-11-07, 12:40 PM
DocRay

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by slowandsteady
You can get this information here, written by people who know what they are talking about, also power outputs and conversions for most trainers:

https://www.kurtkinetic.com/computer_tech.php

If you use virtual riding simulations like Tacx or Spinervals, they calibrate the power output to be identical to the actual road coarse.

Ride one mile on trainer at 53X12, 100rpm, then tell us it's easier than the road.

Old 04-11-07, 12:43 PM
curiouskid55

Bikes: o5 Specilized roubaix Comp, 06 Tequilo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Unless your trainer is a lot different than mine you dont actually go anywhere when you us it. So there are no miles involved. Also no mph involved. Time on a trainer is time so can only be measured in time. If you have hrm you can measure calories burned but any kind of ratio to calories burned while riding is meaningless.
Old 04-11-07, 12:49 PM
DocRay

Originally Posted by curiouskid55
Unless your trainer is a lot different than mine you dont actually go anywhere when you us it. So there are no miles involved. Also no mph involved.
tip: put the speed senor on the rear wheel

With the kinetic, this speed matches road speeds at the same power output. you can even calculate watts, which is most accurate.

Old 04-11-07, 12:54 PM
barba

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This one is easy. You went zero miles.

When I am on my trainer, I am concerned with resistance. Sometimes I look down and see that my speed is around 30mph because I am in a big gear with very low resistance settings on the trainer. No formula is going to make that translate into miles on a hypothetical road. Stick with time.
Old 04-11-07, 01:15 PM
slowandsteady
Faster but still slow

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DocRay
You can get this information here, written by people who know what they are talking about, also power outputs and conversions for most trainers:

https://www.kurtkinetic.com/computer_tech.php

If you use virtual riding simulations like Tacx or Spinervals, they calibrate the power output to be identical to the actual road coarse.

Ride one mile on trainer at 53X12, 100rpm, then tell us it's easier than the road.

Unless it was a one mile downhill, I couldn't ride 53 x 12 at 100 rpms on a road. Not to mention, my bike doesn't even have that gear set up.

Since at 34.5 mph there is a considerable wind resistance to overcome, it should be tons easier on a trainer than on the road. I don't know how you can think the trainer is harder assuming no additional resistance.

It is all a moot point for me anyway. I ride rollers. Trainers are for sissies.

But, yes 200 watts is 200 watts. If you have a nice program and a way to measure wattage that is the way to go.
Old 04-11-07, 01:21 PM
curiouskid55

Bikes: o5 Specilized roubaix Comp, 06 Tequilo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The rear wheel spininnig at any given rpm while actually stationary has aboslutley no realtionship to distance.
Old 04-11-07, 03:23 PM
jrobe

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
"The rear wheel spininnig at any given rpm while actually stationary has aboslutley no realtionship to distance."

"Riding 1 mile on a trainer is far easier than 1 mile on the road."

I don't agree with these statement. I use a Powertap on my bike (used to use a rear wheel mounted Cateye Astrale computer) both on my Kurt Kinetic Trainer and outside. The speed recorded for a given power output is surprisingly similiar inside and outside. My perceived exertion is higher inside though (there is no coasting), so the trainer is definitely more difficult.

Indoor training would also be much less useful (and less interesting) if I didn't have feedback from these devices to structure and follow my workouts. I would never train indoors with only a clock and cadence sensor.
Old 04-11-07, 03:26 PM
Jim Bonnet
Somewhere in CA

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bdcheung
It's NOT? a mile is a mile... especially given a power meter and you are churning out the same power on the trainer that you do on a road ride...

-J
Old 04-11-07, 03:29 PM
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic

Bikes: Lynskey R230/Red, Blue Triad SL/Red, Cannondale Scalpel 3/X9

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
There's nothing magical about the resistance on the road that makes it more "real" than resistance on a trainer.
Old 04-11-07, 03:31 PM
DocRay

Originally Posted by barba
This one is easy. You went zero miles.

When I am on my trainer, I am concerned with resistance. Sometimes I look down and see that my speed is around 30mph because I am in a big gear with very low resistance settings on the trainer. No formula is going to make that translate into miles on a hypothetical road. Stick with time.
That's why there are training DVDs that specify cadence and gearing to give you the exact wattage of a road ride.
Time means nothing if you are just trolling along in an easy gear for 45 minutes.

Trainers are best used for intervals so severe they cannot be completed on the road safely.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.