Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What's up with the price of vintage rims on ebay?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-11, 10:59 PM
mazdaspeed

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

Looks like everyone is asking huge money for NOS campy / other good vintage rims... Are they worth that much or are these 'ebay prices'?
Old 10-20-11, 11:07 PM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
If they're selling, they're worth that much. Completed auction prices are a better view of value than asking prices.
Old 10-20-11, 11:10 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
It's all about whatever the market will bear.
Old 10-20-11, 11:12 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by mazdaspeed
Looks like everyone is asking huge money for NOS campy / other good vintage rims... Are they worth that much or are these 'ebay prices'?
Supply and demand...as the supplies of NOS gear dwindle, prices will continue to go up, especially since the demand continues at the same or higher levels.
Old 10-20-11, 11:29 PM
matt0ne

Bikes: 90s Gios Compact Pro. 80s Battaglin w/ Dura Ace 7400s. 70s Medici Pro Strada

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, 8 Speed Campy compatible stuff is always $350+
Old 10-21-11, 04:44 AM
rootboy 

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 78 Posts
I had to swallow hard when I procured a set of NOS Nisi tubulars recently. But, if you just have to have them...
The prices on all good NOS road stuff just keeps escalating, it seems.
Old 10-21-11, 04:54 AM
marley mission
people's champ

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
Supply and demand...as the supplies of NOS gear dwindle, prices will continue to go up, especially since the demand continues at the same or higher levels.
Old 10-21-11, 06:25 AM
sced
South Carolina Ed

Bikes: Holdsworth custom, Macario Pro, Ciocc San Cristobal, Viner Nemo, Cyfac Le Mythique, Giant TCR, Tommasso Mondial, Cyfac Etoile

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 138 Posts
I think we're in a cycling bubble right now. Used parts prices on Ebay have really gone up to the point where there really aren't many bargains any more. My strategy is to look for off brand stuff that are really just as classic and will work just as good.
Old 10-21-11, 06:40 AM
bikemore 
Too many bikes

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sced
I think we're in a cycling bubble right now. Used parts prices on Ebay have really gone up to the point where there really aren't many bargains any more. My strategy is to look for off brand stuff that are really just as classic and will work just as good.
I donno last time I sold stuff more then half the money I collected went to postage. And I can't get people here to even take every thing I offer on the pay it forward thread. Have to bump things to get people to take them.

Didn't offer rims on EBAY, but I did have trouble giving away my tubular rims (still have two if anyone is interested).

Last edited by bikemore; 10-21-11 at 06:44 AM. Reason: Clarify
Old 10-21-11, 07:22 AM
ScottRyder 
Photographer

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemore
Didn't offer rims on EBAY, but I did have trouble giving away my tubular rims (still have two if anyone is interested).
Whatcha got? Are they a matched set? BTW, I have a saddle you might like ...

Scott

IG @scottryder.surf.cycle
IG @scottryder.fine.art

Old 10-21-11, 07:39 AM
David Newton
Wood

Bikes: Raleigh Sports: hers. Vianelli Professional & Bridgestone 300: mine

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Oh boy, let's get ready for "used bike parts hysteria" to sweep the world!
I need a B-17
Heady times we live in.
Old 10-21-11, 08:11 AM
sced
South Carolina Ed

Bikes: Holdsworth custom, Macario Pro, Ciocc San Cristobal, Viner Nemo, Cyfac Le Mythique, Giant TCR, Tommasso Mondial, Cyfac Etoile

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 138 Posts
The "good" stuff like higher up Campy, Super Champion, and Zeus that I track seems to have gone up quite a bit. Maybe not so much for the historically less coveted brands.
Old 10-21-11, 08:38 AM
bikemore 
Too many bikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sced
The "good" stuff like higher up Campy, Super Champion, and Zeus that I track seems to have gone up quite a bit. Maybe not so much for the historically less coveted brands.
The rim I managed to give away was a Super Champion, but not until after I bumped it.
Old 10-21-11, 08:41 AM
bikemore 
Too many bikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Scottryder
Whatcha got? Are they a matched set? BTW, I have a saddle you might like ...

Scott
You are just feeling sorry for me because of the sad saddle I had on Cape ride.

I don't have a match pair. The two sewups. One Matrix and one noname. I haven't checked the noname, but the Matrix is slightly out of round. Neither have a lot of brake wear.
I think I will be able to give them aways ask scrap on freecycle.

Picture of the Matrix here:
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...=#post13356285

Last edited by bikemore; 10-21-11 at 08:47 AM. Reason: Added link
Old 10-21-11, 08:48 AM
miamijim

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
I donno last time I sold stuff more then half the money I collected went to postage. And I can't get people here to even take every thing I offer on the pay it forward thread. Have to bump things to get people to take them.
If half your money collected went to postage then your doing it wrong....or right. I always charge actual postage plus $1-2 to cover my packaging fees. If I sell an item for $11 and charge $17 for shipping (I just sent a stem to Thailand) I suppose half the money went to postage but it was the buyers money...not mine.

In general C&V members tend to be very, very thrifty.
Old 10-21-11, 09:02 AM
ScottRyder 
Photographer

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 53 Posts
You are just feeling sorry for me because of the sad saddle I had on Cape ride.
Actually I have an Ideale that looks just like it!

I'll pass on the rims ... hoping for Japanese Ukai's or Araya's if you ever come across any.

Scott

IG @scottryder.surf.cycle
IG @scottryder.fine.art

Old 10-21-11, 09:04 AM
bikemore 
Too many bikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by miamijim
If half your money collected went to postage then your doing it wrong....or right. I always charge actual postage plus $1-2 to cover my packaging fees. If I sell an item for $11 and charge $17 for shipping (I just sent a stem to Thailand) I suppose half the money went to postage but it was the buyers money...not mine.

In general C&V members tend to be very, very thrifty.
Ya, I know about the thrifty.

Unfortantly I am more motivated by need for space then a need for cash. I forget what I sold, but I think only one item brought more then $7. I think that was a box of aluminum DT spoke nipples. Usually go for like $12. If I got my act together I could put more out, but it is tough to get motivated when I get a final price of .99.

I have a box full of first generation Cyclone rear derailleurs, certianly more then I can use at the slow pace I am building bikes. I see them going for over $40 for used ones. I bet with luck I would get $15.
Old 10-21-11, 09:18 AM
bikemore 
Too many bikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Scottryder

I'll pass on the rims ...

Scott

Why I am targeting the scrap dealers on freecycle.
Old 10-21-11, 09:25 AM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
At least for tubular rims, I think the major price rise in just the last year for most of them is from sellers realizing that there seems to have been a resurgence of popularity of C&V tubular wheels/tires in the market, so they are trying to catch the wave as long as it lasts. I give it maybe another year and the tub world should go kinda quiet again and prices will start going down for NOS rims.........but forget about Mavic Paris Roubaix SSC rims to ever go cheap! They and similar top of the line rims like them, will always be expensive......

Chombi
Old 10-21-11, 11:04 AM
miamijim

Ya, I know about the thrifty.

Unfortantly I am more motivated by need for space then a need for cash. I forget what I sold, but I think only one item brought more then $7. I think that was a box of aluminum DT spoke nipples. Usually go for like $12. If I got my act together I could put more out, but it is tough to get motivated when I get a final price of .99.

I have a box full of first generation Cyclone rear derailleurs, certianly more then I can use at the slow pace I am building bikes. I see them going for over $40 for used ones. I bet with luck I would get $15.
3 words:

Fixed
Price
Listing
Old 10-21-11, 11:06 AM
miamijim

Originally Posted by Chombi
but forget about Mavic Paris Roubaix SSC rims to ever go cheap! They and similar top of the line rims like them, will always be expensive......

Chombi
So true. Rims can go either way but popular period correct replacement rims will always be expensive.
Old 10-21-11, 11:46 AM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 835 Post(s)
Liked 2,152 Times in 559 Posts
I find the shipping cost on most wheels/rims takes the bargain out of ebay wheel/rim deals. I understand the desire to start off with perfectly round NOS rims, and there is a premium to be paid for that. The NOS rim prices are all over the map. However, if you are willing to live with used rims/wheels, bargains can still be had on tubular wheel sets on CL. In recent months, I've picked up a set of HF Normandy Luxe Competition/Mavic Monthlery wheels with Clement tubulars (hold air but rim tape needs repair) for $35, a front wheel with 7400 DA laced to Mavic GP4 with Vittoria Ralley tire for $25, a pair of Araya Red tubular rims for $25, a set of Sansin HF hubs laced to Wolber Super Champion rims and a Shimano 600 freewheel for $50. Bike swaps are also a good place to pick up deals on rims. I don't go to bike swaps very often, but when I have I've often seen someone with scores of used rims for sale for bargain prices (~$10 each). I am fortunate to live in an area with a lot of people/cyclists, so your results may vary.

'72 Cilo Pacer • '72 Peugeot PX10 • '73 Speedwell Ti • '74 Nishiki Competition • '74 Peugeot UE-8 • '86 Look Equipe 753 • '86 Look KG86 • '89 Parkpre Team Road • '90 Parkpre Team MTB • '90 Merlin Ti

Avatar photo courtesy of jeffveloart.com, contact: contact: jeffnil8 (at) gmail.com.
Old 10-21-11, 11:58 AM
TheOtherGuy
Knows Bigfoot's Momma

Bikes: yeah; got a couple...

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gaucho777
I find the shipping cost on most wheels/rims takes the bargain out of ebay wheel/rim deals...
Don't blame the seller. USPS charges me about $28 to ship a pair of rims coast to coast, and I like to send them with insurance, so another couple of $. BTW - I've got some nice NOS ARC-EN-CIEL rims in 32 hole on right now, and some NOS Nisi Solidal in 36...
For people who are thinking they're too expensive... They don't make 'em anymore, and they're aren't as many new ones around. I bought those I'm selling, 15+ years ago.
Old 10-21-11, 12:02 PM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by gaucho777
I find the shipping cost on most wheels/rims takes the bargain out of ebay wheel/rim deals. I understand the desire to start off with perfectly round NOS rims, and there is a premium to be paid for that. The NOS rim prices are all over the map. However, if you are willing to live with used rims/wheels, bargains can still be had on tubular wheel sets on CL. In recent months, I've picked up a set of HF Normandy Luxe Competition/Mavic Monthlery wheels with Clement tubulars (hold air but rim tape needs repair) for $35, a front wheel with 7400 DA laced to Mavic GP4 with Vittoria Ralley tire for $25, a pair of Araya Red tubular rims for $25, a set of Sansin HF hubs laced to Wolber Super Champion rims and a Shimano 600 freewheel for $50. Bike swaps are also a good place to pick up deals on rims. I don't go to bike swaps very often, but when I have I've often seen someone with scores of used rims for sale for bargain prices (~$10 each). I am fortunate to live in an area with a lot of people/cyclists, so your results may vary.
I'd consider used rims too, but unfotunately the anodizing on the dark colored ones, which I prefer, never stays too long on the rim brake surfaces and used ones usually looks the worse for it.
I'd say the trick to cheaper rims would be to reconsider going back to 36H ones which seems to be mostly ignored by enough C&Vers these days to keep their prices down, in favor of 32H and less versions...........weenie snobs!
C'mon, will we really feel or notice those extra 4 spokes?

Chombi
Old 10-21-11, 01:22 PM
bikemore 
Too many bikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To the OP.

Check this although there is a mix of discussion on tubular and clinchers, this is tubular:
36 hole, two rims mixed type, not NOS, but look OK. .99 plus $12.40 shipping.

https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=180732875397

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.